Chapter 3

It's Always You

Daegu International School.

Students of different ages were filling in the main hall, chattering loudly with growling stomachs. Everyone was looking forward to the opening feast and the short speech our Headmistress always delivers. Everyone except us. Yumi, I, and some other poor victims of those mysterious stink balls were late to reach. We were busy spraying ourselves with a tub of perfume while some students opted to change out of their uniforms because they couldn't stand the smell. We almost missed the feast thanks to someone. When we reached the hall, our Headmistress was done addressing and students were digging in.

I was just overstuffing myself with the delicious dishes when a girl caught my sight. She was sitting with the trio beside Chanyeol or almost on him laughing at their jokes. I inspected her closely. Hmmm...not bad though. She had black hair and olive skin. She was tall and slender and definitely had the posture of one athletic cheerleader. Well of course she has to be beautiful to date Park Chanyeol. My eyes moved toward Chanyeol and I was surprised to catch him looking at me. I quickly turned to my plate. Great, now he's gonna think I was spying on him. I seriously wanted to report Baekhyun to our Discipline head Madame Yewon. She is a very strict teacher and head of the Chemistry department. I really admire her. But then, it wasn't her responsibility what he does outside school premises.

After the meal, everyone made their way to their common rooms. As our Science group walked back chattering loudly, I tried to keep them together so that nobody wanders away especially the newcomers. I spotted a couple under the staircase in the shadows. It was Chanyeol and Yoori kissing as if the world's fate depended on it. I couldn't help myself and called out to them to get their attention.

"Would you mind and find a room? Some of us would actually like to keep our food inside our stomachs." Junmyun was openly laughing this time at my uneasiness. Suddenly Baekhyun appeared by my side.

"Well then, don't let anybody see your face up close, madame, It's enough to make me throw up." He taunted and started laughing at his own silly joke. I was about to say something equally insulting when his best friend spoke up,

"I wouldn't piss her off if I were you Baek, She could still report you to Madame Yewon, you know." 

Baekhyun's grin widened, "Nah...our Mirae wouldn't dare do that, would she?" He punched my shoulder in a friendly way.

"Chanyeol's right. I could do that, you know" I said seriously. He just laughed and walked away.

Chanyeol's right? Wait a second. What did I just say? And did he just defend me in front of his best friend? This world is going crazy.

 

I was the first to get up for the first day of classes. I smiled to myself in the mirror as I brushed my ash-brown hair and tied it in a ponytail. It always looked like I had done highlights on it although I would never even dream of letting anyone touch my hair. You couldn't exactly call me tall, I hardly reached 5'6. 

Our dormitory was a huge room and had 4 beds in it. Two of them belonged to Yumi and me. We shared the room with two twin sisters, Eunmi and Eunji. They loved to gossip and chatter that's why their friendship never attracted me. I looked at the local newspaper in our room and the headlines said: 'Kim Young Min once again charged of  Drug dealing in Seoul.'  I did read the full article as I frowned. I had read about this guy on my vacation too. He was getting pretty popular for all his wrong-doings. Why does his face look so familiar? But I shrugged it off and went down to the common room to get my class schedule. I had a different one from the others as I took more classes than my fellows. But what I did find out was very infuriating. 

Byun Baekhyun had 'accidentally' dropped bright red ink specifically on my schedule and I couldn't even read a single word.

"Do you have some sort of problem with me? Can't you spend even a single day without pissing me off?" I asked, annoyingly.

"Ahh... how could I possibly have a problem with you?" He joked, smiling in that mischievous way of his.

"Oh my god! I don't even know what is my first class!!!" I panicked.

"Well, my dear. You should thank me for this. I just gave you an excuse to skip."

"Very funny," I said sarcastically. But I heard Junmyun's voice behind me.

"We have Physics Theory first, Mirae."

"Thanks, Junmyun, you're a lifesaver." He just nodded in return.

"Don't you just love the first day of terms? I'm so excited." I exclaimed happily.

Baekhyun and Yumi gave me a weird look of distaste. He just shrugged and winked at the younger girls in the common room and they all started giggling. 

------------------ 

"Before we proceed with the lesson, I have very good news to share with you. Do you remember the Physics Quiz in which some of my best students participated in my request? The one held in all the high schools of South Korea?" Our teacher went on excitedly.

"Well, the results came out last week and I'm very proud to announce that our school has stood second in all the 80 schools that entered."

The whole class gasped in surprise. Some boys in the back whistled and we all were overjoyed. 

"Who stood first in our school?" Junmyun asked.

"Oh yes, I have to announce the inter-school positions too. Junmyun, you stood third with 466 points. Second, we have Chanyeol with 487 points. And the first position is taken by Kang Mirae with 489 points. Congratulations to all three of you. I knew you could do it!" Our class erupted in cheerful delight. Even I couldn't believe my ears. I had hardly prepared for that quiz, it wasn't as surprising to everyone as it was to me. Everyone congratulated the three of us. I was truly happy, no one could wipe that off. I looked at Chanyeol and he gave me a congratulatory smile which I returned.

This was surely a great start for the first day!

Our next class was Arithematics which was pretty boring. I said goodbye to Yumi because she didn't take that class. Although I knew Andrew Warren, her boyfriend, who did.

"Hey there Mirae. How are ya?" He asked good-naturedly.

"Fine as ever." I smiled in return. Andrew was on the football team too. I wondered if he could tell me anything about Yoori.

"So Andrew, what do you know about Chanyeol's new girlfriend? I've seen her and I know she's pretty. But is she smart?" I only wanted to know more. I hoped she wasn't good in academics or something so that I could taunt her boyfriend later that what a dumbo he was dating.

Andrew frowned, "Last time I checked, you hated Park Chanyeol, right?"

"I still do. I am just gathering some dirt on her." I explained. "But why does she seem so perfect?"

Andrew still didn't seem convinced but I let it go as our cranky-looking professor entered the room.

-------------

The first week passed in a blur. I successfully managed to get a new and clean schedule. We weren't burdened much but all the same, I was still spending a whole lot of time in the school library. I don't know why I have a huge attachment to that place.

I was walking absent-mindedly in the corridor with Yumi, minding my own business, when someone called from behind.

It was Oh Sehun.

No matter how much I tried to avoid him, even though we shared a few classes, he finally managed to catch me.

"Can we talk, Mirae?"

I sighed and asked Yumi to go ahead to the common room while I dealt with him.

"Look- " He started.

"If you're gonna apologize again then stop right there," I demanded.

His eyes widened in surprise and he closed his mouth.

"So, you were trying to apologize." I cried out in disbelief. "Please Sehun, this is enough. Don't do this." 

"But..." He was about to say something but suddenly stopped when he noticed something behind me. I saw loathe and hatred spark in his eyes as he quickly clenched his fists. And I could tell who had this kind of effect on him. Park Chanyeol.

I turned around too and Chanyeol spotted both of us. Surprisingly he was alone too. I groaned inwardly preparing myself for another fight. I was so sure Chanyeol was going to insult Sehun or hit him too maybe. That's what has been going on for the last 2 years. But I was more than shocked to see him give us a bored expression and walk away. And apparently, Sehun was surprised too and he called out to him.

"What, you aren't going to hit me, jerk?"

I was unpleasantly reminded of my own words that I had said to Chanyeol on the train about not asking me out. But Chanyeol once again turned to see us and shrugged. Then he left. His reaction made my jaw drop in surprise. Is this the same guy that I have known for years? The bully who never left an opportunity to reciprocate. He would have fought back and taunted. Now, this is new.

But Sehun couldn't digest this lack of response and he charged forward to hit him. And I, being a prefect couldn't let that happen that casually, in front of my own eyes. There would certainly be no such combat on my watch. I grabbed Sehun's hand to stop him.

"What the hell are you doing?" I demanded angrily, my voice ringing in the corridor.

Sehun looked at me like I was a crazy maniac. I wouldn't blame him though, I had always taken his side in every fight before now. And today, I was stopping him from hitting his very own bully that I claimed to loathe.

My voice had reached Chanyeol too and he turned around and quickly understood what was going on. I blushed in embarrassment a bit as I realized that he has caught me defending him. He just smiled lightly at me and turned back, continuing up the stairs. Sehun and I didn't have to say anything anymore, he was still slightly taken aback at my reaction.

When I returned to the common room I saw Chanyeol with his usual group of friends. I sat beside Yumi, thinking about the whole situation.

"So, what did he say?" She asked.

"Huh...? Who?"

"Um...Sehun. Didn't he want to talk to you?" She looked at me, confused.

"Oh yeah... I completely forgot about--"

Suddenly a small folded piece of paper fell on my lap. I looked around me to see who threw it. I saw Chanyeol walking past my sofa. He glanced back, smiled, and went back to his friends.

I looked down at the paper, unfolded it. There were only two simple words written there:

'Thanks, Mirae.'

"Thanks for what?" Yumi asked me after reading it.

"No idea." I lied.

"What are you hiding from me?" She warned me.

I really need to learn how to lie better. I told her the whole story. Everything that happened with Sehun just now. 

"Ohh...defending Chanyeol? How cute." She teased me.

"Oh please, it was the right thing to do. I can't let anybody hit anyone." I protested in my defense.

"Andrew told me you're looking for flaws in his girlfriend too. You might say anything but being your friend and a girl, I can sense it's something else."

"Well there's not," I said stubbornly.

"I always thought you had a little crush on Chanyeol." She went on loudly this time.

"What? Are you out of your mind?! The day I admit having a crush on Park Chanyeol is the day hell freezes over!" I didn't notice that I was quite louder with my confession which is why my words would reach the man of the topic.

The trio looked in our direction. Baekhyun had a mischievous smile plastered on his thin lips. He stole a glance at Chanyeol and then called over at me, 

"Well, that can be arranged."

Wow, what's going on, really? Seemed like Chanyeol, himself, didn't really know what his friend was babbling about. He just gave me a bored look, rolled his eyes at his friend's stupid offer, and went back to his work.

"What did he mean? I was thankful that I finally got rid of his flirting, now why on Earth is his friend is acting so weird." I hissed at Yumi in a whisper. She just winked at me with her teasing grins.

"Uhh...I'm going to the library." I gathered my books, glared at the trio, and went off. How foolish I was to think he had somehow changed his ways and stopped flirting. Although I'm still impressed he didn't fire back at Sehun but...I shouldn't forget this.
 Idiots like Park Chanyeol never change. Never.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's so damn hard to write a Chanyeol-Sehun rivalry just when 1 Billion Views got released. 

Any thoughts....? Leave a comment, babes. It's the only motivation I get for updating :)