Chapter 9

It's Always You

 

The next day I got up with a giddy feeling in my stomach. I was so nervous that I felt like I had an exam today but in fact, today's significance was heavier than any exam for me. Today was 17th November.

Today was her birthday.

Wishing her was always a big task for me. In fact, everything that involved her was hard for me. Thankfully I wasn't at home right now or it would have been more difficult for me. Unnie was always so displeased with me that she hardly liked any of my gifts. But then, was she pleased with anything related to me? I picked up my phone from the side table. Okay, Mirae. It's not a big deal. Just say Happy Birthday.

Sometimes I wish we both could be like normal sisters. Best friends, Secret keepers, partners in crime, and the most loyal confidante of each other. We would laugh and talk and joke about each other. We spend nights watching movies and braiding our hair. We would talk about boys. Alright, not gonna happen, enough with the daydreaming.

To be honest, our relationship had always been hostile. Over the past few years, it got worse. My guess is that she liked being the only spoiled daughter. And that she was for the first 6 years of her life. But then I interrupted her perfectly stable life. But by the time she started to accept me was when we both discovered how different we were. Our choices, our idea of entertainment, our hobbies...just everything. She loved to party, to drink and be nonserious and I only knew to study. She started dating when she was 13 and I have never had a serious boyfriend. She had no appreciable plans for life and I was the exact opposite. And when our parents realized this, they naturally started favoring me (though they still pamper her too much for her good) which eventually resulted in more distance between me and her. That's how we drifted away. I'm not saying I'm some kind of goddess with all the good qualities and she is a trashy person. Hell I know, I have a very difficult personality while she is so laid back and at times I'm wishing I could be more like her. More carefree and... well, trendy.

I looked around the empty room. I was actually an early bird but this much-dreaded phone call made me want to sleep more. I sighed and dialed the number, still in bed. The line went on and on. I ended it. And this happened for the next three times I tried. Why the hell isn't she picking up? But I wasn't one to give up so I kept trying and finally she picked up the hundredth call. You could say, I was greeted very nicely.

"What is your problem?" She snarled. I rolled my eyes. Typical.

"Hello to you too," I replied.

"Why do you keep calling again and again? I mean not picking up one or twice should have given you a hint!" She said curtly. I decided to ignore her shower of complaints. "I'm hanging out with my friends."

"Happy Birthday, Unni. Did you get my gift? Has Mom given it to you yet?" I said expectantly. I had gifted her a pack of neon-colored nail polishes and a BB cream--just what she would have desired.

"What gift?" She said, bored. I sighed. "Oh that. No, I haven't opened it yet."

"Do you have anything else to say?" She added.

"Excuse me?"

"I am busy." She explained as shortly as possible.

"But I...I mean can't you open it right now? I wanna know your rea-" I stuttered.

"Didn't I say it already? I am busy." And with that, the call ended but the small ocean of tears hidden behind my eyes started flowing. I quickly wiped them away. This is unfair. I swear I'm never even going to try being the good guy from this day onwards. She didn't even wish me this year. I am at least doing that. Crying over her is no use at all. I, very reluctantly, lifted myself, changed into uniform, and lazily descended downstairs to the common room. Junmyun came over as soon as he spotted me.

"Good morning. Here you go." He said, handing me an avocado sandwich wrapped up in tissue paper. I was literally about to pass out with hunger and I was too lazy to go to the hall and get some breakfast. I looked around the common room to found the whole group. Baekhyun and Chanyeol with Yoori on his arm were discussing something with serious expressions. Eunmi and her twin were gossiping with some seniors. Andrew was helping out Yumi with an assignment.

"Thank you so much, Junmyun! You're a sweetheart!" I exclaimed. 

He blushed red from head to toes while he stuttered, scratching at the back of his head, "No actually Yumi saved it for you. My duty was to hide it from those two." He said pointing at Chanyeol and Baekhyun who were currently occupying the old couch again, looking as if they were planning something seriously. It better not be another prank.

"Oh. They're good now?" I inquired.

"Yup. Chanyeol apologized the minute he got up today." He said proudly and I smiled back appreciatively, making my way towards the crowd.

"Look who decided to grace us with their presence! Good morning, shorty!" Baekhyun yelled, a shiny glint in his eyes.

"Excuse me? I am short? Look who's talking." I rolled my eyes.

"Yah! At least I am half an inch taller than you!" He protested. 

"That's hardly noticeable," I claimed. "At least my fingers don't look like chopsticks."

His eyes widened and called back with a challenging gleam in his eyes, "At least I don't look like somebody has puked over my hair." He challenged.

I gasped with my hand reaching my brown hair. "At least my mouth doesn't form a rectangle when I smile," I smirked in victory. That was a good one. People, who already had their ears fixed on our conversation were smiling. Chanyeol was laughing so madly that I thought he might fall off his chair.

"At least I don't sound like a dying horse the minute I open my mouth to sing." Baekhyun shot back. My smile vanished in a second and the joke was on me. Everybody who knew me wasn't unaware of the fact that I was terrible at singing while Baekhyun did a good job at that.

I racked my brains for something. Just anything! Yumi, Andrew, and our other classmates were watching bemusedly. I focused on his laughing face and came up with a new one. "At least my eyes don't disappear when I laugh."

Baekhyun sobered up instantly. The kids around us looked like they were watching a tennis match, their heads whipping in different directions. "At least my neck isn't as lo-"

"SHUT IT, YOU TWO!" Chanyeol jumped in to break the chain. He lightly hit Baekhyun on the back of his head and said, "I'm gonna have a headache with this nonsense." 

Bakehyun rubbed his head with a frown and muttered, "Don't get me started on your god damn big ears."

I sighed and took a bite of the sandwich. Chanyeol cleared his throat looking all excited and I looked up. 

"Okay, everybody. I have an announcement to make. My birthday this year falls next Friday."

"He's saying it like we have forgotten the previous years," Yumi muttered in my ear and I laughed silently. Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun loved to party and their birthdays were celebrated on a large scale. All these years, they had made a habit of screaming their birth dates to every corner of the school when it approached. They would be so loud that I'm sure people up to at least London could hear him. And the parties? They're wilder.

"Come on, at least try to look happy. I'm finally coming of age!"

"God help us all," I muttered.

Chanyeol resumed. "And I'll be holding a party here in the common room on the evening of 27th. You all are invited. It's free for everyone though. People from other years, groups and my football team will be invited too. Technically anyone from our class or anyone who can manage their way in here is invited but....." He trailed off.

"But, we, having received a personal invitation, should feel particularly special?" I, knowing him too well, completed his sentence.

"Exactly." He agreed with a smirk playing on his lips.

-----------

As the bell rang, I hurried out of class, determined to find Sehun. I had come to know, after asking people about it, that Sehun and his friends weren't immediately suspended. They were provided a span of 3 days before being suspended for 2 weeks. Which meant I had enough time to see him. My stomach started growling with hunger and I was forced to reconsider and I made my way to the Hall for lunch before I started to look for him again. As I entered, I frowned upon noticing that none of my classmates were there. Except for the trio and Yoori who was passing me vindictive glances. I was digging in my plate when Chanyeol appeared at my side.

"You dropped this." He said, handing me my ink pen. 

"Oh thanks," I said, smiling and he returned back to his seat with a mischievous smirk.

In about 10 minutes, Yumi and my other classmates appeared looking very infuriated. They sat across me in a huff.

"You're lucky you gave up P.E, Mirae." Eunmi declared. I raised my eyebrows for more explanation.

"Someone thought that it might be very funny to have a water fight right in the middle of class," Yumi said through clenched teeth, pointing towards the trio. "Not only are we punished but our uniform also got all wet."I patted her back sympathetically. 

"It's winter's for heaven's sake!" Eunji cried out. "My hair's still wet and I hate bathing in winters!" 

"It's been half a day to their renewed friendship and I'm already regretting it," I muttered.

But as it seemed so, I wasn't that lucky too. Only when I had cozied up in a corner of the common room, the first thing I discovered was that my pen didn't work. And not just any pen. The one that Chanyeol had very kindly picked up for me. I let out an aggravated sigh. Boiling in anger, I exited the library to look for him and thankfully ran into him just two floors away.

"How are-" He started pleasantly.

"Fix it," I demanded, shoving the pen in his hands.

"What? Oh yeah, I was wondering when you'd notice that," he said with a smirk. "Actually you're no longer in P.E so I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss out on all the fun."

"How considerate of you," I remarked. "So?" I said pointing at my pen.

He just grinned and took out its ink rifle from his pocket. "There you go. Easy peasy." I rolled my eyes, taking it back.

"Mirae, how could you?" a new voice rang out, and Chanyeol and I turned around to find Sehun striding angrily at us. From the corner of my eyes, I noticed Chanyeol's hand twitch instinctively and I grabbed his arm to prevent him from doing anything stupid. The last thing I want is a physical row.

"Sehun? Oh thank god, you're here! I've been looking for you." I smiled with relief. My anger evaporated and I instantly realized the need to talk to him. But he was too pissed off seeing Chanyeol and me together.

"So the minute we stop being friends, you go and start getting all matey with him ?" Sehun accused me, pointing at my hand wrapped on his arm. I pulled my hand away immediately. Chanyeol doesn't need holding back, I'm sure he has changed enough not to open that chapter again.

"What do you mean?" I said, confused. When he didn't reply and kept glaring at this guy beside me, I turned from him to Chanyeol.

"Can you give us a moment?" I requested. Chanyeol nodded looking unsure, with one last warning glare directed towards Sehun, he left.

I watched him leave and then made my way towards Sehun to talk to him but he beat me to it. "Tell me you're not friends."

I sighed inwardly. To be very honest, even I didn't know what was going on with my life. What with my little episode with Baekhyun last night and then those several interactions with Chanyeol, I didn't know how to interpret it. Was I really friends with people whom I had sworn to hate till my last breath? I decided to ignore his question.

"Sehun." I crept closer to him. "What have you done?" 

He understood what I was mentioning and hung his head low. I held him by the shoulders and tried to make him look into my eyes.

"Please, answer me. Why did you steal?" I whispered as if it was a secret.

"I - I didn't know- what I was getting myself into." He stuttered.

"But...do you not care about your sick father? How he would feel when he finds out? Didn't you know that you were committing a crime? That it could land you in jail? I know you didn't do it because you needed money. There have to be other reasons." I interrogated him while he remained silent as guilt was spreading over his features.

"If you feel that I ruined your reputation-"

"I don't give a damn about my reputation." I interrupted him. "All I want is an explanation from you, Sehunnie." 

His face shot upwards, shocked at my use of his nickname."I was... I don't know what came over me, Mirae. I wasn't thinking right. Maybe it was the excitement of doing something new and the need to show others that I wasn't as dumb as they thought."

I shook my head disapprovingly and muttered, "I told you they're not having a good influence on you."

"I know now." He replied quietly.

I grabbed his hand in my mind. "Promise me you won't keep their company anymore."

He nodded with little hesitation. "I promise."

I smiled, with relief washing over me. "Where are you staying?"

"Aunt's place." He said shortly. I nodded in approval. I sensed discomfort on his face so I gave him a short hug and said, "See you soon. Take care. We'll meet when you return."

I walked back to the library with a sense of relief washing over me. Sehun was at least ashamed of his actions. He knew that he had done wrong. That was enough for now. I had already forgiven him from my heart and I imagined if our relationship would ever be the same.

-----------------

"Ha! Isn't it good?" Yumi exclaimed clutching her stomach from a fit of laughter. I turned around to see the red toothbrush she was holding and cracked up.

"Hahah- he is seriously going to...love it," I replied unable to formulate a normal reply because the situation was too humorous.

We were in our room getting ready for Chanyeol's birthday party. Eunmi and Eunji had already left so it was Yumi and me. I was really okay with throwing on a pair of jeans and a jumper but Yumi insisted that we should dress up properly. It had been a long time since we had done each other's hair and makeup. She had chosen a maroon knee-length dress for me with silver lace on its bodice while she went for a short green one for herself. We were roaring with laughter with tears falling from our eyes at the prospect of gifting Chanyeol a toothbrush. But I guess this gesture wasn't too cruel since Chanyeol, himself, had gifted Yumi a single sock on her birthday. Not even a pair. Just one damn blue sock. I had no such trick on my sleeve so I ended up wrapping a box of chocolates for him.

With one last look at the mirror, we moved forward to join everyone. The birthday party was as fabulous as Chanyeol had promised. We were in awe as we walked in. There was golden everywhere. You would have thought that being an 18 year old would make him mature but Baekhyun and he always celebrated their big days like seven-year-olds. there were several balloons and loads of confetti. Yumi happily skipped off to look for Andrew while I, trying not to look awkward, made my way to the table with beverages served.

I was just examining which glass had a beer and which had juice because the trio loved to spike people's drinks so that everyone ends up totally drunk when Baekhyun hopped at my side.

"Ahh...Miraeeee. How ya doin'?" He prolonged his sentences and I immediately realized that he was already a bit drunk.

"Better than you," I smirked.

"Of course you are. Did I tell you how hot you look when you cry? I noticed it that night. That red nose and puffy cheeks can seduce any man!" He exclaimed enthusiastically and I blushed red to the tips.

"Thank you. I'll make sure to cry at the top of my lungs when I need to charm somebody. Wouldn't that be attractive?" I commented with sarcasm. 

He nodded his head and handed me a drink from the table. "Here. Serve yourself."

I eye the glass suspiciously and he nudged me. "Come on, it's just punch." I reluctantly accepted, took a sip and my throat burnt a bit. It was so not  'just punch'.

"Where's the birthday boy?" I asked looking around. Baekhyun gulping down his hundredth glass of the evening pointed at a corner where Chanyeol was surrounded by girls with Yoori clinging on his arm so tightly that I think it might pluck out if she applied anymore force. I stared at him longer than necessary as I took in his disheveled swept up black hair, a perfect million-dollar smile, and his dark blue shirt. Chanyeol caught my eye and threw me a quick wink. I shook my head as I made my way towards him but some other female juniors beat me to it. 

Oh well, he's busy. I mouthed him a silent 'Happy birthday' to which he nodded graciously.

 

In just a matter of a few hours, the party was in full swing. The lights had been dimmed, disco spotlight shone, Pop songs were played to which everybody was dancing to. Surprisingly, I liked the atmosphere. I mean, yes, I'm that boring that I spent most of the previous years in my room or library to avoid these parties but I could feel myself opening up from my shell for once. Couples were enjoying a slow romantic dance somewhere in the corner.

Chanyeol had already cut his huge football-shaped (to my annoyance) cake and received a very sultry kiss from Yoori and a thousand gifts from everyone else. This guy had literally invited every single soul. Yumi, being the sweet girl she is, had spared some time for me too and we gushed over every cute guy in the room and even danced a bit. And I must say, even I had a little too much of that 'punch' which was starting to have its effect on me making me stumble here and there.

 I had spotted Baekhyun with 3 different girls this evening but he had had drunk too much to remember any of them, I'm sure. Junmyun, I, and a fellow prefect Joohyun were discussing something when I started noticing some sort of intimate yet secret connection between her and Junmyun so I politely excused myself and was about to look for some classmate when the man of the day appeared by my side.

"Ahh, Mirae! I was looking for you." He greeted.

"Me too, I wanted to wish-"

"Yeah, yeah thanks." He placed a finger over his lips. "I wanna introduce you to someone." When I raised my eyebrows he grabbed my hand started pushing me through the crowd to his destination, while he explained.

"It's a guy. You were the first person that came to my mind when I met him. I mean he likes books and is stubborn just like you are. So I think you might want to be friends with him."

I nodded my head but he turned around and winked mischievously, "Or maybe more than friends."

I rolled my eyes. He took me towards a group of well-built, good-looking men but I shrieked and stopped him abruptly as I recognized who they were. "Don't tell me it's someone from your team. You know I can't stand these football-obsessed people." He made a dramatic expression like I offended him and clutched his heart. I knew what was coming next (a load of overly dramatic ) so I took my words back and asked him to lead the way. 

He called somebody over. I couldn't hear the name due to the loud music, but I recognized his face immediately. It was him. The one from the library. He looked quite pleased to see me seeing that a big smile jumped over his lips. Chanyeol opened his mouth to say something but that guy beat him to it.

"Oh, it's you!" 

I smiled and nodded, unsure of what to say. I could sense Chanyeol's gaze moving between us suspiciously. "Do you know each other?"

"No, we coincidentally met once. But you carry on." I answered.

"Okay, so this" He pointed towards the guy. "is Jinyoung. Park Jinyoung." He turned to him and said, "And Jinyoung you already know her but she's our prefect, Mirae." 

This guy, Jinyoung nodded his head with a smile glued on his face. "Oh, I know her well."

"How do you both know each other?" I turned back to question Chanyeol.

Chanyeol slapped Jinyoung's back and replied, "I just recruited him back in the team a few weeks ago. Our Junior here is terrific on the pitch."

Jinyoung wriggled himself out of Chaneyol's embrace and replied annoyingly, "I told you not to call me that."

Before Chanyeol could answer I spoke up emphatically, "What do you mean by 'recruited him back'?"

"I went on an exchange program to Hong Kong for the last two semesters. I just returned recently. Before I left, I used to be on the team with him." Jinyoung explained. 

I nodded while my mind was wandering to other places. Oh my God, he is so breathtakingly gorgeous.

Chanyeol left us there, I started up a conversation with him as we went to get our drinks. Our conversation revolved around innocent topics like books, drinking habits, and allergies. Just like Chanyeol had said, he literally was my male copy. Our interests matched. Except for the football part, of course, I realized wearily. Our opinions didn't collide. We liked the same genres of books. I was so sure I could feel a spark between us. There was a tiny hope inside me that he would feel it too. Everything was well until he casually complimented me and I felt like he just stepped into a dangerous territory.

"You look really beautiful. One of the best here tonight." He said.

My heartbeat was accelerating and I am sure my face was the color of my dress right now. I stuttered a bit but still managed to pick myself up. Now let me make myself very clear that I at such things. Yes, I know how to deal with people but romance is so not a child's play for me."Th-thank you."

Jinyoung excused himself after an hour and I wandered around to find Baekhyun, who was completely lit, screaming Korea's national anthem at the top of his lungs, standing on a table. Laughing, I tried to help him down but it was no use as he collapsed on the floor a few minutes later anyway. My stomach was starting to feel funny too. I was wondering which liquor they had mixed in the punch. I laid flat on the couch and Baekhyun crawled up on it too and handed me another glass which tasted more strong than the last one.

"Oh, hello dear. Where were you? I didn't see you all evening!" Baekhyun hiccuped.

"You did. You're just too drunk to remember it. You need to sober up a bit." I massaged my temples, noticing his slurred speech.

"Wanna dance?" 

"No, sorry. I don't feel well." I replied rubbing my stomach and gulping down the drink. I haven't been this drunk all my life.

"Ya, you're probably right. I don' wan' Cha'yeol in a bad mood today." I couldn't process a word he said because my headache was killing me. Chanyeol passed by and caught my sight. He came nearer.

"You look green."

"Thank you."

"No, I mean it. Are you okay?" He asked and his concerned gaze traveled to the slumped figure snoring beside me and shook his head.

"Yeah."

"Okay, hang on. I'll get you some water."

That was the last conscious and proper memory I have. I might have passed out a bit because the next thing I remember is waking up in the empty common room, except for Chanyeol seated beside me. It was uncharacteristically quiet, I remember passing out in a very wild, loud room. His head was leaning against the back of the couch, eyes shut. It was 3 A.M. I stirred lightly and called out tentatively, my voice croaky.

"Chanyeol?"

His head jerked in my direction and he grinned again. "Good, you're conscious." I noticed that he looked even more stunning in dimmed lights. His big brunette eyes are always alight, full of emotions. I shook these thoughts out of my head.

"Yeah. Where is everybody?"

"I just kicked them out."

"And they listened to you?" I said incredulously. A dull ache was settling behind my eyes and my stomach was rolling unpleasantly. 

"It was my party after all." He shrugged, stayed silent for a while, and spoke up again.

"Did I mention that your hair looks great tonight? I like it this way. I meant to mention last night but I figured you wouldn't remember it anyway." 

I smiled ear to ear. I don't know if it was still the liquor's effects or maybe his compliment, but it made me feel special for once. I looked down at my hair that I had let down and it looked a little wavy from the ends, cascading over my shoulders. It kind of makes sense, because I am really against letting my hair down while at school.

"Thank you." A pleasant silence settled between us. We were just enjoying each other's company without exchanging words. I strangely enjoyed this new progress. Being in his presence while not bickering had its own charm. I felt a little happy inwardly that we've moved on from the old times... okay the liquor is seriously acting up! He looked up at me again.

"What do you think about Jinyoung?" 

I thought for a second and said, "He's great. I already feel a connection between us. He didn't ask me for a dance though."

"Really!?" He looked genuinely surprised. "Trust me, Mirae. If any man passes up the chance to be with you, then he's the stupid one." He stated it like it was a universal fact. Is it just me who's overthinking or is he actually saying it? I chose not to reply to this. My stomach gave a sudden lurch and sat up straight with a hand over my mouth.

"." He cursed. He scrambled to his feet and handed me water. "There. I think Baekhyun gave you too much to drink last night. You should probably go to bed."

I gasped in pain. "But that would involve standing."

He grinned. "Take it from me, you'll feel better when you wake up tomorrow in a bed. I speak from experience." 

I reluctantly dragged myself from the couch and he took my arm and led me to the staircase of the girls' dormitory. We stopped at its base. "Thank you for looking out for me."

"No problem." He smiled generously.

"And I hope you had a good birthday."

"It was rather enjoyable." We stood there, staring at each other in a moment of silence before he abruptly looked away, "Good night."

"'Night."

Patting my head, he grinned as he turned to climb the stairs of his dormitory.

---

Woah! I truly enjoyed writing a true Chanyeol-Mirae scene for the first time. Though forgive me if it still lacked feelings. 

Please vote if this chapter was good enough. Thanks for reading! Love you all ;)