Chapter 32

It's Always You

Time skip: 5 Years

There sat Kang Mirae, listening intently to her senior, Siwon, her pursed lips were tainted deep pink and she was clad in her black suit pants matching with her pumps. She sat to the very right of her two other colleagues who had the same opportunity as her to take part of the trial Siwon was the lead of.

Their defendant was a man in his late fifties, Jung, who was accused of attempted murder of his wife. She was apparently pushed from the stairs and ended up in a coma in the hospital resulting from a brain injury. The defendant's step-son, Dong Han, was the one who brought up the issue, claiming that the old man had pushed his mother intentionally to gain her wealth.

This case was a lot to take in, Mirae noted. There were some striking pieces of evidence against their defendant. But something was off. The son had been teary when she and Jongdae had met him for a quick interrogation but he was still suspicious in the young woman's eyes.

Something about the son was not normal.

"How do you think we would win?" The third one, Eunhye, quoted incredulously as the four advocates finally sat down to discuss the fresh case. "There's so much evidence against our guy." The girl was intelligent without doubt or else she wouldn't be sitting here with Mirae as one of the few, hand-picked, fresh law school graduates to participate in the case, however, she was intent on ignoring the factors that would help the case.

Mirae kept quiet, not wanting to listen to her colleague's disloyal banter. Jongdae and her were confident that they could scrounge up some information in Jung's favor. That was, after all, what being a lawyer was all about.

Siwon smacked the wooden table, putting down the files, to catch their attention. "Okay guys, we all want to believe that our client didn't drug his wife and pushed her down the stairs, right?"

They all nodded, understanding the situation. "Yes Sir," Jongdae answered.

"What else should we know?" He pointed straight at the brown-haired girl, catching her off guard. "Mirae, what would you say? Do you have any ideas?"

She exchanged nervous glances with her colleagues who only urged her to answer before Siwon blows up. "Well, yes I do." The girl murmured. "I know this is a gut feeling, but I feel the tension between Jung and his son. Doesn't it feel that he is pushing all the blame on our client a little too much? He is as much a suspect as Jung."

Siwon rubbed his chin, his stare intense on Mirae. The girl fidgeted under his gaze. "I thought the same thing!" He chimed with a snap of fingers after a minute. "I have a hunch that HE did something to his mother."

"His own mother?" Eunhye frowned.

"Mhm, we just need to figure why." Siwon nodded. "What do you say Jongdae-ssi?"

"We should try to find witnesses. Talk to the son's co-workers, maybe we can find something against his alibi?" He guessed.

Eunhye piped, "We can talk to the neighbors too. To get an idea about the relation between the father and step-son."

"Fantastic ideas! You guys are going well. " Siwon proclaimed with a bright smile. They blushed since it wasn't easy hearing someone experienced like Siwon utter those words.

"Eunhye, you will accompany me tomorrow to the son's workplace." She nodded, humbly accepting the command. "While for Mirae and Jongdae, I want you both to go to his neighborhood right now and engage in a lovely chat with anyone who seems to know them. Arasseo?"

Mirae and Jongdae scrambled out of their seats and bowed. "Yes sir."

-

"Phew! This was a long day for sure." Jongdae flexed his muscles.

The car ride to the neighborhood of crime had been long enough to sore his body. They kept losing confidence with each person they talked to for any information. The only good part was that he was working alongside Mirae, and she just had this dominant aura around her that radiated off an undying determination and it powered him up a lot. They had, after all, grown close during college days. However, Mirae and Jongdae couldn't pin down anything suspicious until a high school kid who was cycling in the street mentioned a few facts in favor of Jung, their client.

Entering their office cabin, long after working hours, Mirae piped in. "I can't believe it would be so tricky! Jung loves his wife with all his heart and we want him to be innocent but how could a son harm his own mother?"

Jongdae agreed. "It's so puzzling. Human nature is really unpredictable."

"Hmm..." She yawned taking off her laptop bag and setting it on her table. "But we at least have something to present to Siwon sunbae-nim tomorrow."

The marble-tiled room was well-lit and nicely scented. It had desks located at opposite corners for each employee. Having freshly graduated from Seoul National University as law students, both Mirae and Jongdae had joined a private law firm to practice.

The room's interior was modern and was adorned with ceramic pots containing Devil's Ivy giving a replenishing environment. Mirae picked up the small nameplate made of tin, that rested on her assigned table and smiled proudly. Advocate Kang, it said. She was happy, living the life of her dreams. Her hard work was finally paying off. Turning to Jongdae who was filling the evidence and alibi reports, she asked him, "Wanna come for a drink?"

"Back to the old hub?" He grinned, referring to the other guys.

She smiled and parted to reply but her phone rang loudly. The screen lit up with her sister's name and she excused herself from Jongdae apologetically and answered, "Hey, what's up? How's my little princess doing?"

Minji scoffed from the other side of the line, "Huh, your spoiled brat of a princess has me chasing her around for two whole hours to get her to eat her bowl of cereal!" She sighed tiredly. "I swear I lost a few pounds today."

Mirae laughed heartily. "That's my girl."

"You spoil her way too much." Minji cried in pain. "Ow, my foot hurts. Mirae, let me tell you a secret; never ever have a child before getting married. Daehyun and I still haven't breathed in relief because of this little witch ever since we got married. It's been so hectic."

Mirae rolled her eyes. "I have no plans, thank you."

"Good."

From the corner of her eye, she saw Jongdae signaling with his hand that he was leaving. She quirked an eyebrow and he whispered, "I gotta run an errand. See you tomorrow." She waved back and he left.

Now entirely with herself in the room, she laid in a relaxed manner, propping her feet on the coffee table. "So, why did you call?"

Minji answered, "Oh yes, I almost forgot. Mom asked me to tell you because she was unable to reach you that she's going to dine with her friends tonight so you'll have to cook up dinner on your own tonight."

Mirae had permanently moved in with her mother after the unexpected death of her father a few months ago. She nodded, "No, that's okay. I'm staying the night at Yumi's."

"Why? Is it—ohh, I get it." Minji grinned. "When is his flight?"

"Ten in the morning."

"Okay then, say my goodbye to him. I was— yah!" She gasped. "That little monkey just emptied my face cream on the carpet. I need to get going, bye!"

As her sister hung up the phone without hearing a goodbye, Mirae chuckled in amusement. She could definitely imagine her naughty niece pulling those tricks.

The glass door pushed open and revealed a tall girl in her early twenties. Her hair was twisted up in a neat bun but her face, no matter how pretty, showed signs of exhaust and fatigue. She smiled brightly upon seeing her fellow worker. "Mirae! Haven't seen you around today."

"Yeah, kind of." The girl responded. "Had a busy day?"

"Oh yes! I think I'm going to lose my head very soon. Today was the ninth court hearing for my client! Ninth, can you believe it? It went on for three whole hours and they still haven't reached to decision yet." She rambled, kicking off her red heels. "I hate it when they stretch it so long. It's just a simple case of plagiarizing but they're dealing it like it's corruption."

Mirae smiled at the familiar bubbly nature of Somin, co-worker. "That's a pity."

Somin nodded and suddenly erupted in a wide smile. "But I'm fully energized for my date. Are you sure this guy is a good one, Mirae?"

"Yes, I'm positive. He's my best friend and I must say he is breathtakingly handsome." Mirae assured her friend.

"Okay." She winked. "I trust your choice. You do have a good taste in boys."

Mirae grinned. "I know right." She grabbed her car keys and her handbag. "I'll get going. Enjoy!"

Somin waved enthusiastically. "Bye – oh, Mirae?"

"Yes?"

"I must say again, that haircut looks gorgeous on you."

-

As she pulled her small minivan into the parking of Zenith Towers located in the heart of Seoul, Mirae switched off the engine and closed her eyes, leaning back on the seat. She massaged her temples because her eyes hurt. The last meal she'd had was a sandwich and that was almost eight hours ago and now her stomach was twisting with hunger and uneasiness. She could only hope that Yumi had something delicious. Mirae's phone rang and she had almost ignored it until the Sehun's face flashed before her and she knew she had to take this one.

"Heyyy." She yawned.

"Wake up, lazy ." He chuckled.

Mirae said indignantly. "Yah, I've been working for the last twelve hours!"

He laughed. "Anyways, I wanted to confirm. What was that restaurant again?"

"Garden Villas."

Sehun pondered for a minute. "Your little friend chose quite an expensive place."

She scoffed. "Who wouldn't when they're told that the managing director of Oh Pharmacy – Incheon branch is not only a bachelor but also very, very single?"

He burst into laughter. "The way you put it, I sound like a rich heir of some business empire."

"Whatever. You're one of the few people close to me who are actually well-settled and I can't help boasting about you every time." Mirae smiled with pride. Sehun, who had moved in with his father's brother right after high school, had studied business and was now capable enough to run one of the busiest pharmaceutical firms in the area with his uncle. Now that she gave it a thought, Sehun was leading the most independent and flourishing life among all the people she knew from high school and college. It filled her up with happiness.

Sehun smiled adorably. "I know." Then, he pouted, "Please tell me this girl has some sense of humor, at least! The last date you set me up with was so lifeless, I swear I was bored to death with her."

Mirae rolled her eyes, getting out of the car. "You don't have to worry about that. Somin is a very interesting girl." She smirked.

"I hope so. I'm going to kill you if she turns out to be some sad and weepy thing."

"I told you, I've chosen the best girl for you!"

"Hmm . . . better." He smirked.

Mirae said, "Okay, I'm hanging up and I hope that I don't have to repeat that---"

"That I have to submit a complete report of my date by tomorrow like always, yes ma'am, I will." He interrupted bemusedly.

Mirae grinned, getting out of the car. "Good boy."

Waiting in the elevator to the second floor of the apartment building, Mirae looked at her reflection falling on the metal doors. She applied lip balm to her chapped lips. The cold biting air was still an enemy, doing wonders on her skin, as always. She ran her fingers over her head to smoothen any stray hair strand, trying to look presentable for her friends. She couldn't help smiling excitedly at the thought of seeing them.

Moving towards her destination, she brainstormed the password Yumi must have kept on her door lock. Her lunatic of a friend was hysterical about two things; elevators and robbers. So she changed her apartment password every week. She knew if she rang the bell, Yumi would take hours to move her lazy and finally come to the door, then screech at her that she was late loud enough for the entire floor to hear. She shot a few combinations until she tried the surname of Yumi's latest love interest. The door clicked open. Mirae sneaked inside quietly like a thief.

She was just about to clear to make herself known but stopped when she came across the cozy scene before her. Yumi sat there cross-legged in an oversized sweater munching on peanuts. On the couch on her right, was slumped Junmyun clad in his work clothes, slurping on something loudly. He was intently watching the latest episode of Running Man on the TV. On his thigh, laid the head of Baekhyun who was arguing with Yumi about something. His feet dangled in the air as the two boys fitted perfectly on the sofa. His mouth was full of something crunchy.

Mirae smiled and turned her head a little to the side. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw her own boyfriend occupying a whole three-seater sofa located beside the coffee table. He was mumbling something under his breath moodily. She noticed how his eyes were constantly flickering over to the wall clock and his frown was deepening. She could have stood there staring at him all night but her train of thought got interrupted when Yumi roared at something Baekhyun had said.

"But I could tell he noticed me that day! He was literally staring but I don't see why he feels the need to ignore me like this now!"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "Maybe he has a girlfriend?"

"But my friend asked him and he said he was very much single!" She tried to reason.

"Don't worry, he'll come around," Junmyun assured her. "Sometimes guys like to play hard to get."

"I've been waiting for so many months. If he doesn't ask me out by next month, I'm throwing him out of my restaurant!" Yumi decided ambitiously.

"At least there's still some hope for you." Baekhyun pouted. "My case is still as hopeless as ever. I mean, how could she dump me? Me ?!"

Yumi smirked. "I think you're more bitter over the fact that she was the one who dumped you and not the other way round instead of being hurt that you guys broke up." 

"Yes, well I am very handso--"

"Who got dumped by whom?" Mirae cut in as she finally entered the living room.

Chanyeol's eyes rushed towards her as he jumped up from his sitting position in the flash of light and shot towards her, faking his anger, holding a finger at her demandingly. "You! I'm dumping you!"

She propped up her hands on her hips. "Oh really?"

"Yes! Where were you all this time? It's so late, and you aren't even--"

"I told you I'd be late!"

"You said till seven o'clock!"

 "I had a late session."

"Well, you could have told us! I called in your office but you weren't there--"

"I had fieldwork. And I had . . . okay, I'm sorry." She ended meekly, realizing that she was still at fault.

The fire in Chanyeol's eyes dimmed but he continued. "They've even eaten their dinner, I'm the only one waiting to eat with you like a fool."

Mirae smiled sweetly. His thoughtful gestures still had an overwhelming effect on her. She walked up to him and kissed him lightly. He smiled contently when she pulled apart and turned towards her other mates. 

Three pairs of amused eyes were gawking silently at the pair of them but they weren't surprised. Bickering was the only way Chanyeol and Mirae showed their affection. They fought like a married couple, talked like best friends, flirted like lovers, and protected each other like siblings.

"Hi." Yumi waved then stopped when she realized something. "Wait, how did you get in?"

"You're so predictable," Mirae smirked, taking off her coat.  "And desperate for him, to be honest."

Yumi gasped indignantly. "Yah, let me have some privacy!" Baekhyun burst into laughter after finding out that Yumi's latest crush was also her password.

"Not possible when you cry out your woes to the whole building," Junmyun commented, giving Mirae a brief hug. When she moved towards Baekhyun, he picked her up and turned in fast circles before setting her back down on the ground as he always did.

Junmyun looked at her closely. "Chanyeol was right. You look like a whole new person with that hair."

She glanced at her boyfriend before focusing on Junmyun again. "Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment."

"Oh, of course."

"Wait isn't Jongdae coming tonight?"

She shook her head, taking off her shoes. "He said he has some errand."

Mirae changed into a comfy sweatshirt and pants after a quick shower. She spoke entering the living room again. "I hope you have something delicious for dinner. I'm starving."

"I ordered mac' n cheese," Yumi said.

Baekhyun piped. "Mirae, I made some hot chocolate. We left yours in that red cup beside the microwave." Creases jumped up between her brows. One thing was clear: Baekhyun had never ever stepped in the kitchen during all the time she'd spent around him all her life. Yet she hopefully trotted towards the kitchen slab. Picking up the said cup reluctantly, she peered inside.

A loud deafening screech echoed in the eerie silence of the night.

Tiny black eyes were looking up at Mirae's shocked face. Instead of hot, sweet marsh-mellow dipped hot chocolate, there was a scaly brown lizard inside. The cup slipped from her hand colliding with the floor as she jumped a foot back. The reptile, as she discovered, was not in fact real but only a plastic duplicate. "BYUN BAEKHYUN..!!!!" Her voice rang, followed by an eruption of laughter by her friends.

She directed her angry gaze towards the master-mind of this petty yet clever prank. Baekhyun was laughing so hard, his eyes were turning glossy. Seeing that it was pointless making him realize his mistake because she had practically striven for the previous eight years to put an end to the pranks but failed to no avail, Mirae glared at her boyfriend. "You knew about this, didn't you?"

His whole body was shaking and he held his hands up. "Sorry, it was too irresistible to let this one go!"

Mirae rolled her eyes and smiled a little too. Old habits die hard.

Setting down for dinner, at last, Chanyeol and her talked in whispers while the others watched TV. She told him about her day and the case she was dealing with. Being near him gave her a feeling of warmth and comfort. His presence alone was enough to soothe her exhaustion and bring a smile to her face, no matter how bad and hectic the day was. Finally, she grasped that it was impossible to avoid the dreaded topic so she took the plunge. "Do you need help with packing?"

He sighed. "Uh, no. I think there is only one thing left."

"What?"

His eyes searched her face, moving through from her twinkling eyes, to the soft smile he fell in love with ages ago. He beamed slightly. "I need to put you into the suitcase."

She laughed heartily. "I wish I could."

Chanyeol, now a music producer, had freshly finished from the Korea National University of Arts. After working for various music agencies in the past few months, the boy had realized that his future laid on a path paved by himself. So he was intent on building his own studio which is why he had to fly all the way to Japan to sign a deal with another artist to work in joint. Mirae couldn't be more proud of him. She had thought that it would be difficult for him to move on from his football craze but he accepted it just fine with time. Though music had been his secondary passion, which is why he worked part-time in sports academies as a football coach when he had time.

"Three weeks is too much." She groaned, leaning her head on his shoulder, her eyes closed. "Can't you cut it short?"

Chanyeol rumpled her hair affectionately. "There's too much to be done, Flower. We need to agree on the terms and conditions, sign the contract then work on what type of--"

"Okay, okay. In short: no." Mirae made a face. "Last time you flew to Jeju for 12 days; it became unbearable for me. I literally had half a mind to fly after you and give you a surprise."

"Such surprises are always welcome. How about you do that this time?"

She chuckled. "Yeah, I'll do that when I want to get kicked out of my job."

After washing their dishes, they joined the others in the living room. Baekhyun was switching between the TV channels while Junmyun was helping Yumi out with accounting. She needed to polish her skills as the girl had opened a small diner on Myeongdong street a few months back. It was an all type-chicken branch after Yumi's recently discovered love for chicken.

Baekhyun spoke up. "You guys won't believe who I saw on TV yesterday!"

"Me?" Chanyeol joked.

He rolled his eyes. "No idiot, I saw Jinyoung."

Mirae sat up straight, fully interested in his story. "I think it was some sort of program where JYP Entertainment was introducing their newest rookies."

"Rookies? So is he finally debuting?" She asked.

Baekhyun shrugged. "There were a bunch of other guys with him so yeah, I guess he's debuting as a group, not solo."

She gasped. "Wow! Oh my god, I'm so excited."

"Yeah, he looked really happy."

Chanyeol nodded. "He's always wanted that."

"Do you think we'd have a chance of meeting him sometime soon?" Yumi wondered. "I don't remember when I saw him last.!

"I'd like to congratulate him." Mirae voiced out.

"At the Alumni dinner on New Year?" Chanyeol suggested. 

"Do you think he'd come? I mean, he must be busy and all." Yumi said.

Mirae exclaimed. "Yes but, it's a high school reunion, which is rare in its own sense. He should come!"

They sat in amazement for some time. Mirae couldn't believe that it was finally happening. After their break up and him tying the knots with JYP, he had dropped out of high school real quick. She was sad that they couldn't be the good friends as she had hoped but wished the best for him.

Yumi yawned and got up. "Okay guys, I'm going to bed. bye-bye. Turn off the lights when you leave."

"So soon?" Junmyun asked.

She nodded. "Need to keep a fresh face for my customers."

Chanyeol smirked. "Not customers. A certain customer."

She smiled sweetly with fake innocence. "Whatever you think."

Junmyun also stood up, ran his hand through his hair, and put on his shoes. "Gotta go. Time for my night shift." He had a job like any normal IT specialist would have and work part-time as a teacher in a special children's school on weekends. Baekhyun's last semester was yet to finish but he also worked part-time.

As Baekhyun left to use the washroom, Yumi appeared again wearing her stylish blue PJs. "Just remembered something. Are you both up for the meditative club Baekhyun's brother started?"

Mirae frowned, turning to Chanyeol. "What do you say?"

He thought for a minute. "I don't know... we are really busy.."

"But he just started something new and refreshing. And Baekhyun's been helping him out with it, we should support our friend." She reasoned.

Chanyeol nodded immediately. "Okay, sign me in."

"Are you sure though?" Mirae confirmed again.

"Why?"

"Because the last time you agreed to do a couple's yoga with me, you couldn't survive that after the first class." She smirked, reminding him of the disastrous experience

He gasped dramatically. "That's because that instructor touched my rear end quite inappropriately."

Mirae rolled her eyes. "There was nothing inappropriate with it. She was only adjusting your pose--"

"Yes, but still--"

"You know what? When you guys come up with a decision, let me know." Yumi glared at the two of them in frustration. She went away to her room mumbling something under her breath.

Baekhyun returned to the living room to find his best buddy and his girlfriend in a lip-lock. Rolling his eyes, he refrained from teasing them but cheekily assured the two lovers that he was not going anywhere before he had finished the movie, so they should continue somewhere else. But Chanyeol thought it better to grab his guitar in one hand and Mirae's hand in the other leading in the direction of their favorite place.

The rooftop.

It seemed that after their first date, the two had grown rather fond of rooftops. As they trudged up, the cold air hit them like a tornado. Mirae immediately shuddered as the biting wind cut into her bones. Chanyeol led them to sit on the wooden bench which they usually used and wrapped his arms around her. She looked up to see him looking over the city view with a calm expression on his face. She couldn't help raising a sigh of gratefulness of having someone like him in her life. Bringing his face closer, she planted a soft peck on his jaw.

He looked down at her with a smile, his eyes sparkled like the stars. Mirae recognized the smile on her boyfriend's face and knew that he had prepared a song for her tonight. 

The guitar chords created a beautiful melody in the dead of the night. Topping it off with his deep vocals, Mirae felt like the luckiest girl in the entire universe.

What would I do without your smart mouth
Drawing me in, and you kicking me out

Her lips curled up into a smile. Chanyeol had chosen the perfect song. Closing her eyes contently, she laid her head on his broad shoulder. The cool breeze wasn't as chilly anymore, and his smooth voice was the best remedy ever.

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind

'Cause all of me Loves all of you. Love your curves and all your edges

All your perfect imperfections

Give your all to me, I'll give my all to you, You're my end and my beginning

Even when I lose I'm winning

This guy's gestures touched her every time, warming every shred of her existence. She was at a loss for words.

The outburst of emotions in her heart had an intensity greater than that of a thousand fireworks. But every feeling singled into one that dominated her heart. Love for Chanyeol. His honey-dripping voice filled her ears, serenading her heart and soul. He had sung for her before too, sometimes solely for her, mostly out of practice, but tonight she felt more cherished than ever. His body swayed slightly with the rhythm making her pull away and simply watch him pout out his feelings. Maybe it was the ardent affection he radiated in the night or the fact that he was leaving the next day for so long and the realization that how much she would miss his presence so bad like every time.

How many times do I have to tell you

You're my downfall, you're my muse

My worst distraction, my rhythm, and blues

I can't stop singing, it's ringing, in my head for you

My head's underwater, But I'm breathing fine

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind

Mirae kissed his ear causing him to laugh but he continued. When his sweet vocals slowed down to an end, she couldn't take it anymore.

Chanyeol was taken by surprise when his girlfriend took the guitar from his hands and kissed him fully on the mouth. He chuckled and took the lead, clasping the side of her face. Their lips moved smoothly moved in synch. Chanyeol smiled, gently caressing her cheek. Her fingers invaded the thick tufts of his hair and moved through it. He pulled Mirae closer and wrapped his arms tightly around her small figure. She his chest so well-built and tougher, a result of his crazed trips to the gym. He could feel the way her touch felt different and it made him pleased that he had touched her heart.

Almost a decade passed and this girl still made him go nuts over and over again.

They broke apart and joined their foreheads. After a few minutes of catching up their breath, Mirae turned her head to meet his awaiting eyes. "I'm going to miss you so bad."

He sighed. "I'll call every day."

"Of course you will and I want pictures of whatever you do every day, wherever you go, what you eat. Got it?"

"Yes, Flower."

"Don't miss meals." Mirae fixed him with a concerned gaze. "Don't go out in cold without a warm coat and boots. Please make sure you have a six-hour sleep, at least."

"Yes, Mom." He chuckled.

"And don't you dare smoke behind my back."

 Chanyeol laughed. He took some of her hair in his hands and started playing with the thin strands. "I know."

"Don't look at any other girl."

"I can't exactly walk with a blindfold." He mused. 

"You know what I mean." She rolled her eyes. "Don't flirt with anyone."

He looked up and raised an eyebrow. "You don't have to say that." A smile crept up his lips. "I will anyways."

Mirae glared at him, pulled away, and opened for a fiery lecture. But he beat her to it. "Hey, hey hey! It was a joke."

She trusted him but glanced at him suspiciously to give a warning. "It better be."

Chanyeol kissed her cheek. "Yes ma'am."

"I met Yoora Unni in the supermarket yesterday." Mirae began. "Both of us were free so we sat down for a coffee."

He nodded. "Yeah, she told me. Noona said your haircut looked awesome—"

Mirae rolled her eyes. "And of course, you being the high time idiot you are, must have babbled that it was actually your idea to—"

"No." Chanyeol cut her off. "Me, being the super cool boyfriend I am, let her believe that it's your fashion sense that updated and trendy and not me who had forced you into it."

Mirae chuckled, shaking her head at the memory of the Tuesday of the previous week. She had been working peacefully when Chanyeol burst into her office at mid-day and urged her boss to let her off early because something 'urgent' had come up which couldn't be avoided. Mirae herself was worried when he dragged her out to his car and drove them off to some unknown place while she kept asking him on the way. It wasn't until he pulled the brakes opposite a hair salon that she realized that the whole 'urgent problem excuse' was only a bluff.

She had gone into a scolding mode but he again pulled her inside, instructed a hairdresser about what he wanted, and boom! Mirae changed into a whole new person. The messy haystack over her head looked more tamed now. All thanks to him. And Chanyeol did make sure she admitted how awesome he was every day.

"You should go to bed. You have stressful days ahead." She said, squeezing one of his arms.

Chanyeol pouted. He wanted to stay every minute he could with her but she was right. He opened his mouth to protest but Mirae already knew what he meant to say and spoke up, "You'll be late tomorrow for your flight if you don't go to sleep now."

"I don't care." He shook his head, ready to spend the whole night with her. He quickly said. "It's okay, I'll make it."

Sometimes, when she looked back on their history, something which happened a lot these days, she couldn't help marveling at nature and how it had weaved their tale so perfectly for them. From feud to friendship, dragging them through so many insecurities to being one. All their break-ups and patch-ups, it was a work of art, proof that nature indeed was the best match-makers of all time. It was the kind of story she would love to tell her children every day when she had them.
That is, if he was their father, of course.

"Oh, and I loved that song, darling."

---

I felt very unsure about this chapter (which is also why it took so long). Writing about this time period was a heavy burden, it was like starting a whole new story and I'm not sure how well I did. If some of you wanted to read more of their high school days, I apologize, haha, but I suppose some things are better left untold. 
So honest comments, please. Tell me which part of this chapter made you cringe and which took you by surprise or made you smile. I want to know your feedback.
Thanks for keeping up.
I'm already working on the next chapter :)

P.s I have published my Sehun Book 'Rewrite The Stars' Don't forget to check it out!