Chapter 17

It's Always You

---

"Righ' yeah." He grinned. "Well, glad that's settled."

"Me too, because, I really didn't-"

But, my words were cut off once again when Chanyeol suddenly leaned down to my height and pressed his lips firmly against mine.

And it wasn't exactly a peck on the lips. It was more than that. I didn't even have time to react at first, it was just so sudden and abrupt. A short gasp escaped my mouth once I realized what was happening, my mind turning blanker by every passing second, and my thumping heart fell in the pit of my stomach. Just standing there and not doing the right thing made me feel kinda helpless but I don't suppose my mind was clear enough to take an action either way. To be honest, combination of so many emotions. At first, it felt like desperation? But then, it became a pure bliss, the feeling of ecstacy.

I stood there frozen in shock... at least, I thought I did. But when he finally pulled back, I was horrified to discover that my hands had somehow found there way around Chanyeol's neck. Does that even count as a voluntary action? His hand that was holding my chin lingered on my face for a second before it retreated.

I looked up to see him watching me with an idiotic grin on his face, the lushed haze in his eyes was in it's place.

"I-um," I started with my voice coming out as a dreadful croak.

Before I could clear my throat and continue, not that I had any idea what to say, he placed a finger on my lips.

"Shh...it'll be our li'l secret." he whispered, and with that he walked away. Yeah, he just did that leaving me stuttering, nervous and questioning my sense of control.

I stared at him for a moment before coming back to my senses. Can anyone believe what just happened? My heart leapt into my throat as I looked around quickly to check if any one had witnessed our - I could hardly believe the word- kiss. But no one was paying me any attention, no ogling, no hooting, no accusing glares. 

I tried to acknowledge that how relieved I was at this revelation. Letting out a large sigh, I leaned against the wall, thinking about what had just happened between us. Why, oh god, why? There were so amny things wrong with this--this kiss no so many levels that I don't even want to count them. My mind was bursting with all the possibilities if someone had seen us. What would I do then? He was drunk... but I wasn't. Here I was, laughing at the prospect of a drunk Chanyeol kissing one of the twins, thinking how hilarious it would be to watch it, little did I know, I myself, would become a victim of the joke. My mind was still a bit numb from the kiss. And my limbs had completely paralyzed.

I was soon distracted by Jinyoung with a lime soda in his hand. One look at his smiley, oblivious face told me that he was unaware of Chanyeol's and mine...uh...recent exchange. Another wave of relief swept over me. What drama would have happened if Jinyoung had seen us? I can't even bring myself to imagine that scenario.

"One soda, as requested." He announced with a smirk. "It was pretty hard to find it. People these days don't bring such innocent drinks at parties." 

He leaned in for another kiss and I immediately stiffened, partly afraid that he might taste Chanyeol's lips on mine. Wait, what? He pulled back with a frown when I just stood there, scared.

"What's up?"

"Nothing. Er...do you-um... maybe wanna go somewhere?"

"Where?" He asked with a bemused smile.

"Umm...I mean..anywhere, that's..uh... not here?" I tried.

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow. "Are you trying to seduce me, Miss Kang?"

I punched his arm lightly. "No." I replied with a blush. "I'm just not in partying mood right now."

And by that I mean I just want to get away from Chanyeol because I'm a pathetic coward.

"Okay--any suggestions?" He shrugged.

My feet automatically started for the exit door. "Not really." He walked beside me, intertwining his fingers with mine, his hand so warm and comforting. We stepped out in the corridor, walking away slowly from the common room.

My mind was still reeling with the memory of Chanyeol's lips on mine and I was on a verge of all-panic. Wondering about the consequences, I know might not have to deal with it tonight, but it was inevitable to come tomorrow.... "Can you distract me, please?" I found myself asking him. I winced at how desperate that sounded.

"Seriously, are you sure you're okay?" Jinyoung looked genuinely concerned.

"Yes, well...I mean...yeah... please don't ask." I stammered, pleading in a whisper.

"Okay." He responded, sounding bewildered. "Eh, so, I just saw Baekhyun chatting up with Naeun. You know, that girl in the Arts group who-"

"Who's got the whole school drooling over her? Including most of the staff and the girls?" I completed and he mocked his shock. "Yeah I know."

"Kang Mirae," He raised his eyebrows with feigned admonishment. "I didn't know you were so critical." 

"What? She's a complete slag." I defended myself.

Jinyoung grinned. "Right, well anyway, you know she has a twin- Haeun- a science student and she's obviously at the party as well." I nodded wondering where this conversation was really going. "So, at one point, Baekhyun turns away to talk to someone else and Haeun quickly takes her sister's place. When Baekhyun turns back, he carries on like nothing happened! I mean both twins are wearing completely different outfits and he didn't even notice."

I broke in laughter as we entered a deserted classroom. "Or maybe, he did notice but didn't make a fuss about it. A girl's a girl, after all."

"True, but out of the two of them, I think Naeun is more likely to get off with him."

I nodded. Even though the both of twins were totally identical down to the last perfectly manicured nail, there personalities were opposite like North and South pole. 

"Honestly, he never ceases to amaze me, you know, and never in the good way! I mean can you believe it, he's planning to buy a motorbike?"

"What?" He asked, and too late. I just remembered that he wasn't present at that part of our conversation, a few days ago when it all started.

"Uh...yeah... well he mentioned it that day when Chanyeol and I had our fight about the match." I replied in a small voice.

And now I'm thinking about the kiss again. Well done, Mirae.

Jinyoung didn't say anything for a while, just looked at me. But when he did, his voice was dead serious. "Can I ask you something about that night?"

"I guess." I gulped.

"What did Baekhyun mean when he asked why'd brought up 'that day'?"

And here it was. We'd made it almost three months without having this conversation, I thought bitterly. I've avoided it alot but I didn't have a choice now. Dropping his hand, I replied hesitantly. 

"It's a long story. It involves something big... that you don't know about me." I avoided his gaze.

"Is this thing also bad?" His tone was calm and cautious.

I looked up. "Uh...no, I mean it's just a matter of opinion."

He must have sensed my discomfort and apprehensiveness because he said gently, "You don't have to tell me."

Good Lord, he's too nice. My insides were guiltily squirming at the thought of the other big-- and definitely bad thing he didn't know about me. I placed my hand on his, lacing our fingers. The way his chocolate brown eyes poured into mine made me melt in a puddle of goo.

Breaking our intense eye contact, I shook my head. "No, it's your right to know. I should tell you. Plus it's not that-"

I was interrupted by Andrew's head which popped through the door of our abandoned classroom. "Jinyoung! What the hell are you doing here? Come on man, you're part of the team. Come with me. Oh, hello Mirae."

Jinyoung shook his head. "No, no I'm not-"

"But everyone's asking for you!"

Jinyoung opened his mouth to protest, but I beat him to it. "Okay, we're coming in a second." Andrew grinned and left.

He turned to me confusingly. "But you said you're not in mood to party."

I smiled widely at him. "I know, but I'm also not that cruel to steal you away from the spotlight for my pleasure. It's your day."

He smiled a sweet smile and kissed my forehead as we slid off from the desks. Almost having forgotten everything, we walked back to the common room, with me hoping my hardest that the party had broken up so that I wouldn't have to face--

"Rookie! I've ba-been lookin' aaaall over for ya!"

Of course, Chanyeol had to be the first person we had to run into on our return, I thought in despair. Turning red, I started looking around everywhere else but his face. But there was nothing to bother about-- Chanyeol had barely spared me a glance as he pulled Jinyoung in a large circle of the football team players who were surrounded by their adoring fans. Jinyoung looked back at me, half-shrugging and half- apologetically, mouthing, 'Sorry.'

Forcing a smile, I shook my head. The gravity of the situation was slowly starting hit me really bad. What have you got yourself into, idiot? My mind kept asking the unanswerable question. But it's not my fault!

I wandered away from the crowded center of the common room. Suddenly feeling incredibly outcast and tired, I decided it was time to hit the bed since I knew there was no way Jinyoung's friends and fans would spare him tonight. Looking back at the crowd one more time to signal my boyfriend that I was leaving... what I spotted was really not what I needed right now. At the very moment, Chanyeol's head turned in my direction. His hazy lids were almost drooping. His dark hair tousled. He tilted his head, winking at me as if to remind me of what had just happened earlier tonight.

 That sole action was enough to pull me off the hook. 

I hurriedly whirled at the staircase, taking two steps at a time. Shutting the door of my dormitory to the pounding music and the loud laughter coming from below, I leaned against it for a moment, fighting against the tears that had inexplicably sprung into my eyes. Finally realizing that it was a losing battle, I took a few steps and collapsed on my bed. Succumbing to a good, hard cry, but not entirely sure of what I was crying about. Maybe it was jut tonight's alarming events piling up or the whole week's furstration. Nevertheless when done sparingly it actually makes you feel quite better. I'd just caught my breath and wiped my eyes when the door suddenly opened.

"There you are- I saw you come but then you completely disap- Oh sweetie, what's wrong?" 

As Yumi barged in, her annoyed voice abruptly changed to concern noticing my red and runny nose and b eyes.

"No, no... I'm fine-" I hiccuped loudly.

"That, my dear, is complete bullocks. You hardly ever cry." She perched on bedside table beside me handing a tissue. "Now spill."

I sighed looking in her eyes. "My life is so messed up."

"Will you stop overreacting, ? I'm sure it's nothing more than a B on a test."

I glared at her. Finally giving up, I let out everything that was bugging me.

"Well, for starters, I'm worried about Sehun's dad. I mean, I don't know what will happen to him if something actually happened to his father. Plus, Yoori just told me a few weeks back that she broke with Chanyeol because he told her that he likes me. But he says that wasn't the reason when I asked him. And... Jinyoung. He's so so damn nice, Yumi, I don't even deserve him. " I stopped to catch my breath. "And then the worst--"

She raised her eyebrows. "Is that all?"

"I was just coming to that." I drew in a huge breath. "Chanyeol just kissed me."

She stared at me for full ten seconds, her eyes sparkling in euphoria as she grabbed her heart. Next, her incoming shriek, I'm sure, could have been heard in the whole building. I almost fell off the bed in surprise. Hitting my head, Yumi squealed like a monkey.

"Idiot! You should have said that in the start." Her breath was unsteady like she had been running a 100 meter track. 

"He actually kissed you?" Her eyes were popping out.

I nodded silently.

"Now that's what you call liquid courage!" She exclaimed enthusiastically, punching the air while I kept glaring at her. Earning no reply from me, she continued.

"Woah! So push everything aside... let's talk about that."

I blew my nose using the tissue, and looked questioningly at her. "Yes, please."

"So? How does it feel? Is it as heavenly as they say?"

I gasped accusingly. "Jung Yumi?! Here I am, crying my heart out like crazy on the biggest crisis of my life and you're curious how-"

"Okay, okay." She rolled her eyes and muttered. "Seriously, I don't understand why being kissed by him is a crisis but okay..."

"I swear, I really need your brilliant advice right now." I pleaded.

She took her place back beside me, "Okay, for starters, what did you do when Yoori  told you that?"

"Umm...well for the first few days, I just hid like a coward but then I talked to Chanyeol about it last week."

"And?"

"I told you. He outright denied everything."

She sighed. "Alright, so-"

"Oh my god, I'm a complete slag, aren't I? I mean it. What am I even going to do now?" I stood up and started pacing around the room. "And I'll have to talk to Chanyeol tomorrow, God- that's going to be one of the worst conversations of my life! How could he just ruin everything like that.... I don't even know. I mean he's always joked about having feelings for me, then what is he playing at--?"

"Mirae, Mirae! Calm down. I can't do anything when you're freaking out like that."

I took a deep breath and scooted closer to her. She leaned towards me, pinning my hands on my lap, preventing me from throwing any hysteric again.

"Right, so, you will have to face Chanyeol tomorrow, that's unavoidable." I wrinkled my nose as she held up a finger.

"And it's going to be a very awkward conversation, I'm sorry, I can't promise you otherwise." I let out a frustrated groan this time.

"Why'd he have to do this? I mean, I finally liked being friends with him."

She frowned at my words. "You can still be friends with him. It doesn't change anything."

"But it's never going to be the same."

"Maybe not at first, but-"

"!" I shrieked as a new thought struck me. "What am I going to tell Jinyoung?!!" This should have been the first thing to ponder, I admit guiltily. 

"You're not going to tell him anything." Yumi stated calmly, her eyes warning me.

I snorted. "That would just come and bite me in the all my life."

She closed her eyes and took a breath, as if she was teaching a toddler basic counting. "Look, Chanyeol's not stupid. He would never tell Jinyoung by himself. Plus, if you keep that big mouth shut, Jinyoung would never even get wind of it."

I threw my head back in irritation. "Why does it has to happen to me? To the most inexperienced girl ever?"

Yumi shook her head, clueless. "To be honest, I knew Chanyeol was confident. But this much? Woah. Seriously, he's the most daring person I might have ever known. The guy just kissed a girl in a room full of people. One of which was her own boyfriend. And it's not just any girl. It's the one he has to be the most careful around because she is well... a pain in the when it comes to dating him."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't make it sound that way."

"Look, he was just drunk and he-- wait a second, Mirae, did you kiss him back?" She stopped abruptly.

I opened my mouth fully intending to say 'no' but when I thought back on the kiss... 

"I don't really remember."

She narrowed her eyes at me suspiciously. "Well, I hope you didn't. Cause it would be very cruel on your part to give him any kind of hope."

I sighed closing my eyes. She took her hands in mine making me look at her. "Don't worry. Stuff like this happens at parties. It's totally okay."

"Easy for you to say." I muttered miserably.

---


"Well, could you just check?" I pleaded to Yumi the next morning. We were at the bottom of the stairs and- you guessed it right- to check if any one from the trio were in the common room as we leave for breakfast.

She fixed me with a stern look. " Mirae, promise me you aren't going to avoid him for the rest of your life."

"Okay okay, I promise. I just don't want to deal with it first thing in the morning." I nodded my head vigorously. "That's all."

She sighed and peeped her head around the staircase. "You're clear."

I let out a large breath I didn't realize I was holding. Making my way to the door, I said pleasantly, "You really are a fantastic friend. Have I ever told-" 

But I was forced to stop when I swung the door open and the three of them stood right before me, like they were about to enter, probably on their way back from breakfast.

Oh come on, I thought in exasperation. What happened to being 'too hangover to go to breakfast this early in morning'? Fate is never on my side, is it?

"Mirae, I need to talk to you." Chanyeol blurted immediately, and I felt myself go red.

I could have sworn I heard Yumi snort in laughter. I quickly eyed her using my puppy eyes look to save me from him. Just say anything in my defense, for example, 'No she needs to have breakfast right at this moment or she might die of hunger'. or maybe 'Mirae's too mentally, psychologically and emotionally disturbed to see you right now.'  Literally anything.

But being the little she is, she replied, "I'm going for breakfast. Talk as much as you want."

I groaned slightly as my last silver lining betrayed me in my face. I replied to Chanyeol, "Sure of course." and I think I managed to make it casual... you know, except for the fact that I was still red as a tomato.

As Yumi passed by my side, I hissed, "You can forget that 'fantastic friend' bit." Shooting me an evil smile, she left.

Junmyun started to go forward but Baekhyun had slightly slowed on Chanyeol's side. Junmyun rolled his eyes and dragged Baekhyun with him, giving me an all too knowing smile. Wait... so he couldn't know...could he? Unless Chanyeol had told them. I winced at the thought.

As Chanyeol and I were left alone in the corridor, I watched Yumi's retreating back as long as it was visible. Once I was sure there nobody left to look but Chanyeol, I steeled myself to meet his eyes.

"Right." He said once he had my attention. "So, I just wanted to apologize for... you know... I mean I shouldn't have... It was a bit of over reaction."

I frowned slightly at his choice of words. Over reaction? And a 'bit 'of over reaction? But I didn't want to prolong this anymore. Trying to end this conversation as fast as I could I nodded repeating Yumi's words from last night.

"Uh, no problem. Well ...uh, it happens to people all the time, right?"

He smiled slightly. "And rather a lot to both of us."

I opened my mouth to reply but closed it instantly when his words registered in my mind, thoroughly confused. I looked in his eyes for the first time during this conversation. A lot to both of us? A lot? What the does he mean? We haven't kissed before...

"Wait, what are you talking about?"

It was his turn to frown. "What do you think I'm talking about?"

"I thought I knew, but I'm not so sure now."

"I'm trying to tell you that I sorry for getting all worked up about the football thing. You were right, I guess, I take it too serious. But, you know, it's something I'm so passionate-- Mirae, are you okay?"

My jaw had just dropped at the ground, as I realized he had no idea what he'd already done it last night. 
Or that he was a really good actor. We'll just go with the former possibility, shall we? It's easier to live with.

"Yes." I quickly closed my mouth, a wave of relief swept through my body. "I'm just trying to process a couple of things... first of all you admitted that 'I was right' which is a pretty big honor." His smile widened.

"And second, uh, you've already told me all of this last night. Well, rather a more intoxicated version of it but the main points were the same."

He frowned again in confusion. "I've already--what?"

"Yeah." My voice was a little jumpy now, happiness radiating from it. "You came to me last night after the match, at the party.... You don't remember, do you?" I asked hoping that I didn't sound very hopeful. But if he didn't remember our conversation...it means he doesn't remember what had followed it. I feel like dancing right now.

He smiled. "Last night... was interesting. There's definitely a large chunk of it missing from my memory, though. But it's good to know that even my drunken self is looking out for our friendship." His smirk back in place.

"Yeah...right." I responded. "Oh and, I'm sorry too about that fight. I guess, you don't remember my part of the conversation too?"

"Right." He said. I don't why I'm feeling obligated to tell him the next part too but I quickly slapped my conscious for even thinking about that. I'm not that stupid. He looked like he wanted to add something.

"This morning, people have been coming up to tell me that how stupid and crazy I acted last night. It's seriously embarrassing."

The way he said it... I don't know. Maybe I'm just thinking too much. I've been blessed by having him not remember anything. Let's not doubt it and ruin the mood.

"Really? I didn't catch you doing anything out of place."

He looked up at me sharply and started nodding lightly. "That's great."

I smiled, as an awkward silence descended on us. As I searched for words, I realized, this is the first time we have ever been in this kind situation. We've fought, exchanged sarcastic banter, even had a few genuine conversations. But we both have never been at a loss of words for each other.

"Well, I should--you know catch up with Yumi." I muttered eventually.

"Okay, yeah." He said too quickly.

I started to turn away.

"Hey, listen!"

"Yeah?"

"We're good, right?"

"Of course." I replied with a smile which melted into a frown as soon as I turned again. I hope I don't feel so embarrassed around him again. As long as he doesn't remember the kiss, I'm fine with it. I was still enveloped in my thoughts when I reached the hall and sat beside Yumi, passing a plate of pancakes to me.

"So?" She asked tentatively when I didn't say anything for a few minutes.

"He doesn't remember." I replied.

"What?"

"He doesn't remember." I repeated. "Any of it."

Yumi raised here eyebrows. "Well, um, that's convenient."

I just nodded. We stayed silent for a few minutes. She was looking at me closely probably sensing that I was still uneasy about something. Finally, she put her hand on mine.

"What is it?"

"You don't think I should...tell him?"

Yumi just looked at me.

"Right-- you're right. Of course I shouldn't."

She chuckled. "Stupid." We ate for sometime,r minds twisted around this matter. She spoke up again. "How sure are you that he wasn't lying?"

I thought about her sudden question for a moment. "He sounded convincing."

"Well, let's hope it is true."

I looked at her raising my eyebrows. "And what if it isn't?"

"Then he's probably expecting you to tell him. I mean, like it or not Mirae, but almost every girl here would loved to be kissed by him. Even if it's just a drunken kiss he doesn't remember the next day, they want it. And he approaches you the next day asking if something happened and you deny."

"But I did the right thing, didn't I?" I asked defensively.

"If we only consider your side, then yes, definitely."

I smiled in relief.

----

"Mirae!" I turned around abruptly stifling a yawn.

Baekhyun still wide awake at this hour, motioned me to sit beside him. I had half a mind to refuse because my eyes were drooping but seeing the excited smile on his face, I just couldn't bring myself to say no. It's been three days since that morning when Chanyeol and I patched up, for the second time in fact, but the work load kind of helped me not to freak out over it too much.

"Hmm?" I plopped on the couch, laying my head on the cushion.

"You wanted me to find out stuff about that girl, right?" His eyes were shining.

"Huh?" I yawned widely. "What girl-" Another yawn made it's way.

Baekhyun slapped my head with a book. "Yah phabo, why so enthusiastic?"

I smiled tiredly. "Sorry. Okay, what were you saying?"

"That girl...don't you remember?" He asked exasperatedly. "We argued and you said that I should gath-"

"Oh yeah, yeah. Got it."

"Well, I officially met her at the the party last night."

"Hmm... that's good." My eyelids were slowly and steadily slumping shut. This time I received a painful flick on my forehead from Junymun. 

"Yah!" I screamed in pain, rubbing the red mark on my forehead. I stretched my limbs trying to generate some more energy.

"Wake up, sleepy head." Chanyeol muttered.

I groaned in annoyance. I was about to throw away my former kindness and leave before Baekhyun again persuaded me to listen to him.

"What." I said, making a face when he kept his hand fixed on my shoulder.

"So... here's what I have gathered." The smile adorning his face was far too adorable. "She is an Arts student. She loves Anime. Her favorite sport is wrestling which is a boomer cause I don't even know a thing about that. She's a little shorter than me which is a very good point. She likes funny people and you might have noticed that I am very funny. She lives in-"

He went on and on blurting crazily, overflowing with information about this girl. I was getting annoyed so I held my hand in the air and quieted him. "Wait a second, did she tell you how many siblings she has?"

"Yea she did. She's an only child."

A mischievous smile arched on my lips and I felt energized. "Huh, there you go!"

"What?" He asked, confused.

"Your dream girl has been tricking you this whole time." I announced. My statement caught the attention of his friends. They sat up straight and surrounded me like moth to a flame. "Or maybe I should say...dream girls ?"

Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed and his frown deepened. I opened my mouth to explain further. "She has a twin sister."

Relief etched on his face and he let out a large breath, his shoulders relaxing in the process. "Oh, I can live with that."

It was my turn to frown at his stupidity and I threw a cushion on him. "Idiot, don't you get it?"

The three of them raised their eyebrows at me and I rolled my eyes.

"According to my sources, you, Byun Baekhyun, hasn't been chatting with just one girl last night. It was two of them! They kept switching and you, being the drunken flirty idiot you are, didn't even notice, even when their get up was totally different. The twin sisters have been tricking you all last night." I ended with a smirk.

A loud, horrifying gasp escaped from Baekhyun's mouth as he slipped from the couch landing his on the floor, eyes still staring to nothingness. His friends, on the other hand, were bellowing in laughter at his stupidity.

"So all these qualities he's been listing since morning actually belonged to a blend of two girls?" Junymun doubled with laughter.

"Yup." I replied smiling sweetly.

Chanyeol tilted his head thoughtfully. "I didn't think I'd live to see this day. Baek being played by a girl and not the other way round."

"La la la....Baehyun's been fooled...la la-"

The man of the topic suddenly stood up with a poker face. "Stop making fun of me." Then he turned to me and pleaded me with an utterly helpless voice.

"Mirae, how am I going to find out which one I liked?"

I just smiled at him, shrugging. The perplexion on his face was pitiful. It was at that moment when I realized that he might actually be serious about one of them. Else, he would have brushed it off with a laugh. But the question was, as funny as it seemed, which of the twins did Baekhyun actually like?

----

The rest of the month passed faster than I expected. Every one got busy with end-of-year hype. I hardly had any time to think about it anyway. Jinyoung and I celebrated his pretty good result in his re-exam. My dear boyfriend aced it. We spent a whole day out since I wanted to have as much 'couple time' considering that he was visiting some relatives in Ulsan with his parents all summer vacations which meant I wouldn't be able to meet him. And as difficult as it was, I did sort of tell him about the whole ordeal that happened last year.

I told him about Sehun's and my earliest friendship. How close and inseparable we were. But things had changed when we we got admission here in this campus.

"We met with the three of them on the first day here, on the train ride here in fact." I started about my first impression of the trio. "And with Sehun, well they just instantly loathed each other. At some point I think it's pretty understandable. On one hand you have Chanyeol, who's got like... everything. Talent, fame, charms, you name it. Then there's Sehun, the lone motherless child, always neglected looked down upon. It was easy for him to dislike Chanyeol."

"At any rate, Chanyeol and later Baekhyun and Junmyun had a feud going on with Sehun since day one. Chanyeol loved bullying him since Sehun surrendered without effort, without a fight. And this fact just topped over the many reasons why Sehun's hatred kept increasing."

I took a deep breath. I'm still shocked at how calm I am about this.

"It never was a fair fight from the start. Sehunnie was always over-numbered at least two-to-one every time. Anyways, on the other hand I hated Chanyeol and Baekhyun for their pranks and bullying and taunting and arrogance, I also started to notice that Sehun was slipping away."

 I intentionally skipped out the parts where Chanyeol used to ask me out for a date like crazy. No idea why I did that though.

"He started hanging out with guys who, well, weren't exactly what you call good company. They started pulling pranks of their own which were pretty awful...sort-of-crimes." 

Here, I was forced to stop again. This was the part even I hadn't brought myself to accept. But I knew I had to push through and finish my tale.

"At the end of last term, things sort of all came to a head. It was our last exam, I remember so well, it was English literature and I was ecstatic to finally be free. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were taunting him again, strutting around with their usual superiority as always. And I was defending him like every other time but they probably pushed him too far this time, or--- well, I don't really know, but he ended up shouting at me too. That he didn't need any help from a and a--a like me." I said this quickly because it stung to remember the words. "And some other stuff not worth mentioning."

Jinyoung emitted a half-incredulous, half-furious noise. But before he could say anything, I quickly continued. 

"I ended my friendship with him that day and for a long time, I blamed Chanyeol for what happened. But now I know- even then I knew, but didn't want to admit it that it wasn't his fault. It was all heading in that direction. Sehun had already chosen his friends over me."

I silenced, looking at Jinyoung to see his reaction. He didn't look at me for a moment, frowning at his knees. Finally,  glancing over he said. "Wow."

"What?"

"I'm impressed by how you seem okay about it. And being friends with Chanyeol...it's a miracle after everything he's done."

I laughed. "Miracle, yeah that it is."

"And Sehun... I mean, you guys are back being friends...uh, right?"

I nodded lightly. He raised his brows with a judging look. 

"Wow." He said again.

"What? He apologized." I countered indignantly. "And he's my best friend, I just can't let that go."

A smile etched on Jinyoung's lips. He neared in and placed his hand on my cheek, his fingers caressing it. "You're too naive."

I grinned leaning in his touch. "Anyways, it's sort of the untouchable topics so it was pretty low of me bring that up the other day."  I smiled suddenly. "So there's your answer, long enough?"

He pretended to think for a while and replied, "I'd say, yes."

-----

Sorry to those who were expecting a drama here! I'm sure you had many expectations but trust me on this, going from friends to lovers takes more than this :)

I'm really nervous about your reaction so please, please share your opinion through your comments and vote if you liked this chapter! Good day!