Chapter 26

It's Always You

I waited outside the administration office as Chanyeol followed up through the process inside. After that unfortunate phone call from Baekhyun's parents, we figured he'd obviously want to go back to see his brother the very moment he finds out. This is the reason why Chanyeol and I decided to book him a ticket back to Bucheon, his hometown before breaking the news to the poor soul. But I think, in our hearts, we were just scared to see his heartbroken face and were trying to delay the whole situation. Gosh.

As I was pacing, I saw Chanyeol coming out of the room. I looked at him questioningly. He sighed, handing me a freshly printed ticket, "I've booked him a seat in the earliest train tomorrow morning."

"Okay." 

We both stared at one other for a minute, thinking about what to do next. In his anxious eyes, I could read that he wanted to stall for more time before telling Baekhyun. I shook my head. "No, his family told you so that we'd convey it to him. We have to do it now."

"How about after the party ends?"

"Do you think it's going to make any difference?"

"Yeah, well..." He trailed off. Chanyeol brought his fingers up to pinch the corners of his bloodshot eyes, leaning against the wall. I wondered if he was having a hangover headache after all that he'd drunk earlier tonight. "Mirae, it's going to break him. You have no idea how much he holds himself responsible for his brother's condition. It's going to kill him."

I nodded sadly. "I know."

"He's going to cry. Have you ever seen him cry? He looks like a--" a painful expression crossed his features--"it's one of the most painful things I've seen."

A smile unknowingly made it to my lips, witnessing Chanyeol's profound concern for his best friend. I used to hate this duo but following their strong bond through the last few months, kind of makes me envy their friendship. It's one of a kind and it's beautiful.

Anyhow, I convinced Chanyeol towards the common room to do the hard deed while he panicked. "Should I do it step by step or just dramatically say everything in one breath?"

"Definitely not the second one," I warned him.

"Wait, I'm not ready yet." He stopped abruptly before the common room door. 

I huffed a breath. "Chanyeol, will you please man up? It's your best friend and he's really going to need your comfort and your positivity at this moment."

His dark eyes searched mine for a while before he nodded with a sheepish smile. "You're right."

"I know. Now, let's go inside before I lost my too?"

Locating Baekhyun inside the room wasn't difficult, most of the people had left for bed but the said boy was perched on one of the tables beside Junmyun, he was chuckling over something. If I'm not wrong, his loose actions and hazy eyes proved that he was already wasted.

Chanyeol anxiously approached him, while I stayed behind, watching them from a distance. If the situation gets out of control, then I'll consider joining them. But I think Baekhyun will need a moment for himself rather than people crowding over him and make him feel uncomfortable. Yumi, who was sitting in a corner, waved at me. I walked towards her. "What's the matter?" She whispered curiously. "That looks serious."

I muttered. "It's Baek's brother. He attempted suicide."

"No!" She shouted, her eyes wide with shock. I quickly glared at her, bringing a finger to my lips.

Yumi leaned in, "It's the one who was a drug addict, wasn't it?"

I nodded solemnly before looking over my shoulder. The two of us watched the color drain from Baekhyun's face, the smile retreating from his ever-smiling eyes as the words fell out of Chanyeol's mouth. I don't believe I've ever seen so much horror and fear on Baekhyun's face before. His eyes searched Chanyeol's face helplessly, then Junmyun's, waiting for one of them to laugh, claim it a joke and brush it off. 

"No..." He gulped, tears shining in his eyes. "No, you're kidding. Tell me you're kidding." He begged Chanyeol, his hands clutched his hair so tightly that it seemed as if he wanted to rip it off from roots. "Junmyun, he's kidding, right?" The taller guy shook his head, putting an arm around his shoulder.

"It's true. But your father said that he was discovered on time." A single, lonely rolled out from Baekhyun's eye. His eyes were focused on the ground. Then more followed as the truth slowly dawned on him, clawing at his aching insides. His trembling knees crashed on the floor and tears flowed across his cheeks accompanied by dreadful sobs. To me it seemed that the news didn't come off as a shock to Baekhyun, did he expect something like that? Junmyun comforted him by rubbing his back, "Hyung's going to be okay. Please don't cry, don't lose hope. Everything's going to be alright..."

"He's under treatment, he'll make it Baekhyun." Chanyeol tried to make him understand.

"It-it's all my fault." His voice was hallow.

Chanyeol was right, a Baekhyun that wasn't smiling is a sight that can up your soul and leave you lifeless. He looked so innocent and vulnerable like he could break even if I lay a finger on him. Loud, painful sobs emitted from his mouth as his shoulders shook. The same words tumbled out of his mouth, the claims of everything being his fault. Not being able to withstand the sight, I pressed my eyes shut and looked away, my own breath going fast.

"No, it's not," Chanyeol kept telling him determinedly. "It's got nothing to with you."

Baekhyun suddenly looked up as if he'd just realized something. "Eomma! Appa! How are they? Are they with him? I-I want to go back home. I have to see hyung now."

I realized I still had the ticket crunched up in my fist. I quickly walked towards Baekhyun's small figure, showing him his ticket. "Don't worry, we've arranged everything. You're going back home tomorrow, back to your brother who's hopefully going to be in a better condition when you reach and everything is going to be fine. Alright?" My voice held so much guarantee that I myself was surprised, but honestly, that's all I can do; be hopeful and fill him with it.

He slowly looked up, I gazed back into Baekhyun's reddened eyes, my heart broke seeing him like this. Barely nodding, he took the ticket from my hand, got up, and stumbled towards the boys' dorm mumbling, "I need a moment."

I quickly turned to the boys and opened my mouth but Chanyeol must have read my mind because he was already up on his feet and followed his friend to the dorm. It wasn't a wise decision to leave him when he was so emotionally unstable and at his worst.

-

The mood was sad and subdued when news broke out about Baekhyun's brother. He had fled off back home as soon as he could after a sleepless night. Every time, my mind drifts to him, I am forcefully reminded of that night when both of us broke down on our emotions. When I was upset about Sehun while he kept blaming himself for his drug addict brother's toxic condition. 

But there was still hope. His brother hadn't exactly been achieved the purpose of his suicide--he was still alive. In spite of the fact that cutting your wrists is hazardous, his brother was breathing his last. 

I have to admit, classes and meals couldn't be any more boring. Chanyeol was a dim woebegone in his friend's absence. All of us remained uncharacteristically low most of the time unless it was someone giving an update on Baekhyun's brother.

"We are pleased to inform you that this year's Prom falls on the 21st of this month." Madame Jung announced during lunch. "Due to security issues, we were unable to hold one in the previous year. This event is an amazing celebration for students. It's not only a night to dress up, dance, and spend time with your friends but also a farewell for our seniors who will be passing out in a span of few months."

Her eyes found our table, fixing Chanyeol with a hard stare. "I hope all of you will not take this as an opportunity to make mischief or cause trouble, but only an occasion to sit back and relax. Please make sure that your attire is appropriate. Any further updates will be posted on the notice board. Thank you."

As Madame Jung stepped off the rostrum, the hall erupted in cheers. The air was filled with hooting, whistling, and all kinds of gestures showing nothing but celebration. Madame Jung grabbed the microphone again and spoke, "I request Head Boy and Head Girl to see me after lunch so I could brief them over the details which they can later convey in the Prefects Meeting."

Chanyeol groaned beside me. "Oh come on, this woman is crazy! I am running a team, can she not see? I have scheduled football practice!"

I rolled my eyes. "Just come to her office with me so that she knows you're taking charge, I'll handle the prefect's meeting myself."

"Will you?"His face beamed. 

I can't believe I'm letting him slack off on his responsibilities when that's something I hate so much. 

But I nodded.

"Really? Thanks."

As soon as the announcement was made, everyone started talking about who they'll be taking, or wanted to take as a prom date. I'm damn sure that the next few weeks are only going to be a competition, a quest to win your crush's hearts and ask them on a prom date. I smiled, thinking of the many interesting episodes I am going to witness before my own eyes. When it comes to celebrations and parties, nobody can beat our batch, take football celebrations for example. And for an occasion like prom, people are going to be overdramatic about it.

Yumi whined beside me. "What , I've been dating for over two years and they never held a party before, and just after I get dumped, I'm supposed to have a date to take at the Prom!?"

Chanyeol laughed. "Oh, you'll find someone."

"Not so easy." She pouted. "Who will you take?"

Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders indifferently.

"Well, nobody is going to reject you, if that's any comfort," Yumi grumbled. "And Junmyun can ask out that girl he's really set on these days--"

"What?!" Chanyeol questioned, his eyes wide. "How come you know about it and I don't?" He turned to me. "Did you know?"

I smiled slyly. "I did have an idea..."

"Heol, this is bad." He put a hand over his heart dramatically. "What has this boy been upto! Tell me about it!" He urged us.

"Come on, it's not that hard to notice. He's always staring at her at perfect meetings all the time." I explained. 

Chanyeol still looked too offended to answer. I continued, "And Baekhyun can take out one of the twins."

"If he remembers which one he asked." Yumi snickered. She pulled a face. "So it's basically only me with a of bad luck. Mirae, you're so lucky you have a boyfriend, you wouldn't have to go through the pain."

My smile dropped. Jinyoung. I lost my appetite at the sound of his name. Surprisingly, I couldn't find an opportunity to confront him yet. What with Baekhyun's brother's news, none of us were in the right state of mind to turn back to our lives. Pushing my plate back, I stood up to find him. I'm not going t let it go this time. Yumi called after me but I didn't respond. Thankfully I didn't have to do much because I spotted my boyfriend entering the hall. One look at him was enough evidence that he had come running from somewhere. Training probably.

I made my way through the hall to him. Nobody paid much attention to us. Everyone was chatting and making plans to go shopping for the prom already. Smiling as sweetly as I could, I asked, "How did training go?"

His eyes froze. "What?"

My brows shot up. "Why, isn't that where you've been all this time?" I demanded curtly.

He opened his mouth and then closed, unable to formulate a reply. Finally, after the struggle of a few minutes, he took hold of my hand leading me out of the hall. As we stepped out of the building, we entered open air under the acorn trees. An ocean of orange and brown enveloped us, it was finally fall. He flopped beside the tree trunk and exhaled loudly, clearly looking hesitant to speak.

"So?" I tapped my feet and he looked up. Seeing his face made my suppressed anger bubble up to the surface.

He began with a gulp. "I'm sorry, I thought--I thought you wouldn't-- support me with this and-"

"So you went along, gave the audition, and expected to hide this from me until you debuted?" I threw my hands in the air.

He shook his head. "No-no. I was planning to tell you, but I didn't know how to. I wasn't sure how you'd react to it."

I scoffed. "Don't tell me that we ever had a communication barrier, Jinyoung, don't." Because if he did, that would be a big fat lie.

"I mean you were always that high and brilliant student with towering standards, I--I didn't know if you'd accept me as a singer." He persuaded. 

My mouth dropped as I stared at him in disbelief. His words intrigued me to think about myself for a minute. Was I that intimidating? That it made my own boyfriend, one that I once claimed to love, think that I am going to judge him. Do I come off as that proud and pompous? The thought alone alarmed me.

Jinyoung tried again, his eyes gazing into my cross ones, but I looked away. "Look, you know how my parents are. They will be furious when they find out so I can't disclose it to them either and then..." He stopped quietly. "I--I was insecure about my talent. I didn't want you to know that I'm giving an audition. What if I didn't make it? What would my girlfriend think of me then?"

His head bent down, looking helpless. I sighed. I closed my eyes tightly. He mumbled. "I really am sorry. You don't deserve this treatment." 

All wrath and disappointment I might have been feeling evaporated like morning mist. I had a lot on my mind, I wanted to scream and shout at him but his vulnerable image stopped me from saying anything. I squatted down to his height. Holding his hand, I made him look at me.

"Jinyoung." I paused. "You are a stupid person who knows nothing about his girlfriend." He looked taken aback. My gaze softened. "I don't know where you got the idea that I am ever going to go against your dreams especially when you're so passionate about them but I want you to know that I'll support you, no matter what happens. Do you understand me?"

He smiled in relief. "I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to worry about seriously." I took a spot on the grass too. "From now on, I want you to tell me everything about your training, whatever you learn, how you practice, what songs you prepare, everything. Got it?"

"Yup."

I smiled slightly. "There's something else..." I started reluctantly. Maybe, it's too soon to talk about it, or even think about it. But I want to make sure of everything on the first go.

"Yes?"

I inhaled heavily. "Look, um I- I don't know much about this-this whole training thing or how one gets auditioned or signs under an agency to debut or anything but I have heard of cases where trainees are required to be single in order to debut."

Jinyoung's expression became apprehensive again. To answer me, he nodded, eyeing the large expanse of the grounds. Serene air blew through our hair and I exhaled in the cool breeze. After a few uneasy, quiet minutes, he spoke. "But it is not necessary until you become a rookie. Which I am not, for a long time at least." He smiled, trying to make me feel better.

Upon seeing the frown on my face he continued. "Look, Mirae I want to take our relationship to whichever stage I could, okay? And Idols can date, right? Plus I did look up the previous trainees who were dating and I reckon it's not that much of a compulsion to be single. And, I've got a lot to train, I need to learn how to polish my vocals, and then dance! Oh, I really have to work on that one. So, I think we needn't worry about that now. Okay?"

"Okay."

"I-I will fight for us as much as possible." He added.

I grinned, wrapping my arms around him and hiding my face in his neck. To be honest, I was happy we'd made up. Yeah, it's true, with his training and everything else, we'd barely get time to spend together but maybe this is a part of his life that I have to live with. He accepted me with all my flaws, shouldn't I be supportive of his dreams? He laughed heartily and reciprocated by embracing me tightly. We stayed like that for some time. Jinyoung kissed my hair. "You smell of vanilla and lilies."

"And you smell of..." I scrunched my nose. "Sweat."

He laughed. "Well, you shouldn't expect more if you're gonna stick to me right after training."

I grinned excitedly. "I'm excited about the prom!"

Jinyoung grinned. "I know right. Though I hope it's after the Final match. We've been preparing so hard for almost a year and I would hate to see anything becoming a hindrance to our victory."

I chuckled. "Oh please, everything will be fine. As far as I know, the match falls on the second last Friday of November. The prom is on that Sunday. You're safe."

"Ah, I am." He nodded, satisfied. "Not from practice though."

"You might as well grab something to eat if you have practice too."

He nodded. We got up and strolled in the direction of the hall, hand-in-hand. "Oh god, Chanyeol is driving us crazy. We start with push-ups, squats, planks, leg lifts every day and then running over the field track for ten minutes. Ten minutes! It's a kind of drill, I think he's mistaken the final match for an enemy and that he's preparing an army for battle. All this for 'bloody fitness'. Oh and then after everyone has completely drained up to the bone, we play. Except for him of course, Chnayeol hardly gets tired."

I beamed proudly. Despite my distaste for the sport, I was beginning to appreciate how much effort Chanyeol put into it. With this devotion, a guy like that definitely deserves to play for the country. And considering the fact how badly he wanted to pursue it as a profession, I felt sad thinking it might not be possible for him.

"Don't let him hear all of that." I chuckled.

Jinyoung's eyes widened dramatically. "Oh no, that would be awful. He's quite on the edge these days."

Is he? I pursed my lips. Chanyeol rounded on the corner, spotting us, he advanced in our direction. He clapped Jinyoung's back enthusiastically. "Hey rookie, practice at four sharp, remember?"

"How can I forget?"Jinyoung joked.

Chanyeol turned to me with a frown playing on his mouth. "And Flower, you ditched Yumi and me quite abruptly--"

"Flower?" Jinyoung's voice rung in my ears like a fire alarm.

My eyes flicked at Chanyeol accusingly, the breach of his promise about not saying anything even close to stupid or flirty in front of Jinyoung was frightening enough to kill me. I felt Jinyoung's hold on my hand tighten. Gosh, how can he be so careless! But needless to say, Chanyeol didn't look panicked at the least, in fact, he stayed cool. He faced Jinyoung, shooting a relaxed smile, "Just something I like to with." He replied calmly.

The air between the three was thick and...unfamiliar. I had no idea how to react. I stood there dumbly cursing at Chanyeol in my head while Chanyeol was at least wise enough to not proceed to continue whatever he was saying. At that uncertain moment, Junmyun, a very welcome distraction, appeared out of nowhere, catching our attention. I was so happy when called us that I could kiss him. 

Well, on a serious note, no. I've had enough kisses from friends.

"Yah! Mirae, Chanyeol! Madame Jung is looking everywhere for both of you. You better hurry up to her office before she blows the whole school up."

-

Baekhyun re Monday with huge circles under his tired eyes, unruly hair, and pale skin. Exhaustion and fatigue didn't even begin to describe him. He didn't say much and turned to his dorm immediately.

Yumi and I insisted on seeing how he was doing, so his mates agreed. After he had some good sleep, we were finally able to pay him a visit and make him open up. His shoulders were slumped and he was still in bed when we entered the boys' dorm. It's my first time coming here and I swear a pig's barn is cleaner than this place. It smelt of freshly mown grass and mud. Clothes were thrown over the floor. I smiled thinking, Boys.

"How is his condition now?" I asked.

"He's still in the ICU, but he pulled through the critical first 24 hours at least. We thought he wasn't going to make it, but hyung is a fighter. He was always a fighter." A small smile arched on his face, god he looked so tiny in a blanket.

Yumi started slowly. "But... why did he do it, I mean, did something happen--"

"He had recovered a great deal and was about to be discharged from the rehabilitation center. But they increased another 2 months for his recovery and he hated living there, away from family and treated like a mental patient so tried his own way of escaping." He sighed wearily. "Turns out he hadn't improved that well."

"Was the center's staff rough on him?" Chanyeol asked. "Did they mistreat him?"

"Maybe." Baekhyun shrugged. "But they shifted him to a hospital as soon as they found out him bleeding profusely in his room. The doctors aren't sure of his state since he lost a lot of blood but we're hoping for the best." He ended nonchalantly. "I think he's going to b hospitalized for another month."

I leaned forward to caress his hand. "I'm sure he'll get better, don't worry."

Baekhyun smiled weakly. "Yeah."

Yumi hunted in her bag, taking out a bar of large chocolate handing it to Baekhyun. "Now, I'm sure you can't deny chocolate, right? God, I've got so much to tell you!"

-

Jongdae and I worked in peace, stuffed in a quiet corner of the library. Reference books, self-made notes, and discarded pieces of parchments scattered the floor around us. His socked feet were resting on the table as he carefully examined my share of the analysis. Working on this assignment was so fun, especially when both of us were so determined to ace it with the subject being our career interest. Many students sat, mostly in pairs working for their assignment around us. I have never seen this large crowd in the library.

As we entered the month of November, the weather had taken a chilly twist. It had been pouring cats and dogs all weekend and I would have curled up in my bed under the thick, cozy blankets today if Jongdae hadn't banged my phone up with 12 missed calls, unpleasantly reminding me that we needed to work.

He nodded slowly. "Yeah, it sounds good to me." He sounded unsure though. "You know, yesterday, I saw this book in the Law & Legislation section that had a better explanation of criminal laws and their varieties. We should add that too."

"That's great, the more the better." I approved cheerfully. "Why don't you go find it, I'll review this again for errors." I lifted up the stack of papers in my hand.

As he left, I continued scrutinizing the text before me until I heard vibration inside me. I frowned as I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. What the-- Oh! I was sitting on my phone, switched to vibration mode. How decent, Mirae. I grabbed it and saw that I had received a message from Unnie.

Yes, you read that correctly, I was dumbfounded too.  I gasped loudly, dropping the phone, and if I wasn't sitting in a library, I might have screamed too. Let me clear this up, I have never, in the short span of 19 years, or at least ever since the time came to a boarding school, ever received a message from my dear sister. And if I don't know any better this text could be a hate message too. So there you go, that sums up my surprise.

 When it finally dawned upon me that I wasn't dreaming, I shuffled to the floor, picking my phone up, and clicked open the chat.

Hey. How's school going?

Oh. That's weird, I thought, rereading the message again and again for a hidden threat.

Are you okay? I texted back.

Yes, why?

Well, you don't text me usually. And by that, I mean 'never'. School's okay by the way, thanks.

I guess it's the first time for everything?

Hmm...Something's cooking. Maybe she wants a favor again? The last time she was this nice, she wanted me to tell Mom and dad that she was pregnant. I don't know what's coming next. But before I could formulate a reply, my phone rang and I was stunned by her name lighting the screen up.

"Hello-"

"Oh Mirae, I couldn't contain it anymore, that's why I called you!" Her joyful, excited voice was something I am not used to hearing.

"No, that's okay. Is everything alright?" I asked, worried about her mental health.

"Oh yes, everything is blasting!"

I laughed. "O-okay. What's the-"

"It's a girl!!"

I gasped. "What?" I screamed, earning me a couple of glares from the students trying to study. The librarian shushed me angrily.

"Yes!" I heard a loud cheer on the line. "I really wanted to tell someone. I just found out yesterday. I had an appointment with my doctor. I can't bring myself to tell Mom and Dad but I'm sure they will be happy too."

"What about Daehyun?" I asked her.

"Oh, he was over the moon when the result came out! And guess what? He got a job too, and on the same day! I'm so happy!" She sounded giddy.

"Wow really?! That's such good news, Minji." I brightened.

"I'm finally starting to see some hope in my life."

I smiled. "So what are your next plans?"

She sighed loudly. "We're still figuring it out but I suppose it's alright to get married after the delivery, right?"

"Yeah, I guess." I agreed. "Though, I would like you to fix the date according to my vacations, this time," I commented accusingly.

"Oh, sure, I definitely want you to be there this time. You're the first person I've told this to, you know. I figured I owe it to you after how you helped me back then." 

I was flattered. She sounded so grateful and I think I am finally beginning to see some hope for our broken relation too. "Tha-thanks. I'm-I have no words. Seriously."

She laughed. "I know right, a girl! It's a damn girl! I would dress her up every day in the prettiest girlish dresses and god, I think I should go shopping for those tiny little frocks and ribbons and bows." She giggled.

"That's so cute!" I shriek-whispered. "Baby shopping must be so fun!"

"How about mom and dad though? Have they warmed up to you?"

She hummed. "Somewhat, yes. At least they are letting me live here. Which is all I need."

"I'm so happy for you! Omg a girl, what an addition!" My heart filled up with the image of a cute little ball of sunshine, with tiny beady eyes, thin thread-like hair, and wrinkly tiny hands.

"Thanks, you should get back to whatever you were doing. I better go." She said.

"Ah-okay."

"Bye."

I sighed in content. This call was probably the longest and sweetest call ever shared between the two of us. Oh god, in a few month's time, I am going to have an adorable little niece! Man, I'm excited to be an aunt.

Pulling myself out from my little bubble, I set out to find Jongdae, wondering what's taking him so long. 

As I advanced towards the Law & Legislation Section, my eyes fell upon two heads huddled together on a table, no doubt reading a newspaper. I squinted my eyes, trying to make out who it was. Their faces were concealed behind the paper they were reading. Those heads were so familiar but I couldn't grasp. A couple of fingers tapped on my shoulder.

I turned around and found Jongdae smiling at me. "Found it!" He held up the book. 

"Great." I nodded. Holding his arm, I focused his gaze on the two boys. "Know who that is?"

One glance and Jongdae's brows shot up his forehead. "Obviously."

"Who?!" I questioned. "It feels like someone I know but--"

"Junmyun and Sehun," Jongdae answered. 

I gasped. "Junmyun and who?!"

 Jongdae grinned widely. I lifted my eyes back to the pair of them. Sehun raised his head from his crouched position and said something to his partner quietly.

I turned to Jongdae with an incredulous expression. "Has the world spun off its orbit?"

He laughed silently. "I was also startled when Sehun told me who he's going to work with. he tried so hard to change his partner but the professor wouldn't budge. But now that I come to think of it, I think they are quite enjoying each other's company."

I nodded. "Oh, they look good." Junmyun highlighted something in the newspaper, Sehun nodded in agreement with a serious expression and they got engrossed in their discussion again, leaving me aghast. I knew it was impossible to hope for acquaintance between Chanyeol and Sehun but this was good enough for me. I sighed contentedly. I hope their friendship blossoms.

Jongdae and I stood there gazing admiringly at the pair of them like cupid. Junmyun raised his head, his eyes meeting ours in surprise. We quickly looked away, embarrassed to be caught like two nosy women in the neighborhood.

-

The sweet scent of freedom filled me when a student brought the message to our classroom that our professor was absent and Arithmetic was free today. It was a lesson I took on my own, except for Andrew, and I m definitely going to hang out with him so I looked around boredly. I didn't know anyone else in this class. As I sat there simply looking out the window, the view of the grounds reminded me of my conversation with Jinyoung. To be quite honest, his blame about me acting a bit too superior to others still disturbed me. Was this really me? The thought that others, even the ones close to me found it hard to approach me because I'd judge them? Make them feel small? How did I ever give him the idea that I was full of myself?

From one of the sparkling glass windows, I saw Chanyeol peering in. A smile jumped up on my lips.

As our eyes met, I waved over to him. He motioned me to come outside and I complied immediately since we were free anyway. As soon as I made my way in front of him, he grabbed my hands, bursting with anticipation. "Mirae!"

I smiled, a little taken back by his actions. He leaned to my height and wrapped his arms around me. The short hug amazed me, my eyes rounding up. I could feel his body emanating warmth. He didn't stay in that position for long and pulled away after a second. His sparkling brown orbs were immersed in happiness, matching the radiant smile on his lips. "What happened?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm so happy, you have no idea!!" He cheered.

I laughed. "Would you tell me now?!"

He gestured me to walk forward and continued. "Mom said yes! For the tryouts!"

"Really?!!" I exclaimed.

Chanyeol nodded eagerly. "She just called right now and said that she was okay if I wanted it so bad."

"That's awesome! How come she changed her mind?" I wondered. Chanyeol had always wanted to take the test for the national football team but refrained from taking any step since his mother was deeply against it.

"No idea." He shrugged. "But I'm not complaining. Maybe it's because I told her about Baekhyun's brother's suicide attempt and she was afraid I would do something stupid too."

I grinned, throwing him a sly look. "Ooh. Very clever."

"I know right!" Chanyeol winked.

"I need to take blackmailing classes from you sometime," I commented, shaking my head. The bounce in his steps dispensed his excitement, it didn't go unnoticed by me.

"But she was very clear that this is only a one time opportunity." He proceeded. "She said I could take classes for it, subtly reminding me not to neglect my academics, but that has never been a problem for me. She made sure that I understood that if I somehow lost the chance to enter the competition, I wouldn't be allowed to say as much as the word 'football' again my whole life, so this is pretty much my only shot at my dreams."

I exhaled audibly. "That is strict. You better prepare hard for it."

"I will." He stated, determined. "Even if it means I have to take sessions, I am going to be a part of the national team, Mirae, you'll see!"

I smiled. "I know you will."

A sweet, grateful grin arched on his lips. "Thanks, Mirae." He held my shoulders. "I know you hate the whole sport but I'm happy for the support."

"Anytime." I shrugged.

He said. "I better get going, Baekhyun would be mad if he finds this out before I tell him myself. See you at rounds. Gotta go, bye!" He left hurriedly down the corridor leaving me overwhelmed over the fact that he chose to disclose his big news to me before sharing it with his best mate.  And my thoughts once again strayed to Jinyoung's blame.

-

"Look at the state of you two."

Back from rounds and a good hot shower, I good-naturedly surveyed the common room. Baekhyun and Yumi, in PJs and T-shirt, were sprawled on the armchairs clutching cans of coke, burping occasionally. More cans littered the coffee table. Empty cheese and onion crisp packets, crumpled up, dotted the floor. I looked around and spotted Chanyeol sitting a little away from them, holding his guitar, pages scattered before him. His face was contorted into confusion and I reached to the conclusion that he was, no doubt, trying to come up with music since he kept rotating the nodes of his guitar.

"Join us." Yumi waved her half-full can enticingly. "We named our club, 'Prom Date Hunt'.

I laughed. "Hunt?"

"I am the president of the club," Yumi claimed, taking a last swig of her soda.

"No wait, I suggested the name of the club, so I'm the president!" Baekhyun cried out.

Yumi rolled her eyes, throwing her empty can at him. "Idiot, I do all the work!"

Baekhyun grunted. Seriously who cares who's the present in a club for two people?! I quickly intervened, "Okay, okay. So what's this club about?"

"Yumi's helping me recognize which of the twins I'm actually interested in." He held up a small brown notebook. "We're actually taking written notes of their differences, you see." I raised an eyebrow skeptically. "And I'm helping her find a decent guy."

I grinned, leaning against the hand rest of his sofa. "Any progress?"

"Not at all." She snorted. "Seems like the twins know what we're up to because they've been wearing ditto same outfits since the last two days. It's impossible to mark anything down."

Baekhyun crunched loudly at a crisp. "You know, I might as well ask both of them out since they're obviously so smitten by my presence that neither of them could decide."

Yumi rolled her eyes. "It's you who can't decide, dork."

"And you? Got any special guy you're looking for?" I probed.

"Yeah, I'm looking for a handsome blonde, with green eyes, 6 feet at least, and a nice body--"

"I meant." I paused for a laugh. "From this campus, and within your range."

"What, 6 feet, green-eyed blonde is not in my range?" Yumi said indignantly, glaring at Baekhyun who was rolling with laughter on her side, nodding at my words.

I was saved from answering her question when Junmyun dragged himself inside and plopped on the couch across us. Baekhyun, having regained himself, continued, "You know, Yumi and I placed a bet that we'd go to Prom together if none of us succeeds in finding the other a suitable date, as a punishment of course."

Yumi frowned, whispering in my direction. "Oh Mirae, I sure hope I can do better than him."

"I heard that you know." Baekhyun glared at her.

Yumi just smiled sweetly at him.

"Yahh! I'm not an ugly little mole!" Baekhyun yelled, with a miffed expression, making us crack into laughter again. Chanyeol joined us with an amused expression. "Done!" He announced proudly.

"What?" Baekhyun asked, bewildered. "Did you ask someone out!" He got up from his sprawled position in a flash before Chanyeol, eyes wide in anticipation. See, I told you that's going to be the only thing on everyone's mind!

"No, I've been trying to hit the right note for weeks! But look, I just made something up!" He exclaimed. I smiled and encouraged him to start.

He cleared his throat and began by tuning the guitar. He played the chords in a loose relaxed motion making it pass off as almost effortless. His sturdy fingers strummed the strings in a smooth manner, while the rhythm came out beautifully. We were mesmerized by his talent and it was hard to believe that it was something he had come up with himself. The music was serene until he hit a higher yet clear note. Baekhyun hooted, his eyes filled with appreciation.

"Yah, quiet down, will you? It's good but not helping." Junmyun, who was silent up till now, spoke up massaging his temples. Clearly with a bad headache and an even worse mood. Chanyeol stopped immediately, looking up.

"Everything okay?" I asked, peering down at him with concern.

"Looks like somebody got rejected." Chanyeol winked at his friend.

"Not yet." Junmyun emitted an aggravated noise. "Why do these girls always have to travel in groups, huh? I mean, it's so hard if somebody wants to ask one out for Prom. You call out the name, and the whole bunch of at least six to seven girls turns to you, which makes me so nervous that I almost forget why I called her! Anyways, they start giggling and whispering something in each other's ears, and it's so damn annoying. Like, how am I supposed to say that I only want to talk with one of them, hmmph, no privacy if you ask me!" He ended with a huff.

We burst in a laughing frenzy again seeing his comical expression. Junmyun glared at us. "Sorry, it's just so-so hilarious the way you put it!" I said, wiping the corners of my eyes.

Pulling ourselves together, Baekhyun patted his mate's shoulder. "Well, I can't say I can help because I haven't even reached the stage of asking anyone out yet-" He threw a meaningful glance at Yumi "-but I'm sure you could leave a note in her notebook."

Junmyun pulled a face. "That would be incredibly dumb."

Chanyeol shook his head. "Dude, I've seen the girl you're looking for and she is hypnotically beautiful, charming, and flawless. There is a thin chance, you know."

"I know," Junymun whined. "She's way way way out of my league!"

---

Hi everyone! I know it's been such a long time since I updated but I had exams. Thank you for 2000+ reads, I'm grateful to each and every one of you.
This was mostly a filler chapter but do let me know what you think of it? 
I promise something fun in the next chapter ;) Stay tuned!

Question: Make a guess of the prom date partners of all of the characters in this book!