Chapter 16

It's Always You

                                                           

"Mirae!"

.

.

"Hey, you!" I felt a strong pair of hands grab my shoulders, shaking me to the bone. I replied with an agitated noise from my parched up throat.

.

.

"Yah, Mirae! Get your up right now!"

This extremely annoying person screamed in my poor ears, provoking a nasty disruption in my calming nap. I groaned in frustration facing away from them.

"Kang Mirae, if you don't move right now, I swear-"

"Yahh!" I shrieked, eyes still closed shut. I pushed the hands away. "Getaway!"

Suddenly the hands left my shoulder and picked me from my seat, lifting me up in the air, feet dangling. I gasped, my eyes popping open in alarm. My rushing adrenaline slowed down after his face came into view. Thank god, it's just Jinyoung.

"Hey, you! Put me down!" I protested.

"No way." He shook his head as he moved forward. "This is your punishment for ignoring me."

I pouted and looked around my surroundings. The big dusty shelves and the eerie silence made it clear that we were currently in the library. I tried to remember what was happening before I got manhandled in my boyfriend's arms. Making my best efforts to tie the strings, I tried to get an idea of what was going on in this messed up world. The pounding in my head was getting so intense that it refrained me to think properly. But thankfully, my dear boyfriend unfolded my turmoil with his scolding.

"You seriously sleep like a sloth! Were you deciding to hibernate or something? I've been trying to wake you up for half an hour. The librarian lady called me to come and get you because she tried too and failed to wake you up. You aren't taking sleeping pills, are you?" He complained, clearly irritated.

Oh, so I fell asleep working. In the library. On a wooden chair. No wonder my back hurts like hell.

Wrapping my hands around his neck, I smiled as cutely as I could. "And may I know that why both of you were so keen on disturbing my peaceful slumber?"

He shot me a sullen look. "Because it's 11 p.m and the library is closing down. They can't leave you locked inside, enjoying your 'peaceful slumber', can they?"

"What!? Is it so late?" I cried out.  "I-I missed rounds!"

He smirked. "Hmm, didn't know that someone as responsible as you could be so carefree." When I passed him a hopefully distressed look that screamed how bad I felt for dozing off, he relieved me by saying, "No, it's fine. Junmyun told me that he can handle it on his own." Whatsoever, I shouldn't have shown this kind of careless if I want to remain a potential candidate for Head Girl.

"Oh,"  I muttered as we passed down the empty library. Or basically, he walked while my arms circled his neck in deep thought. He had nice vanilla-scented hair. "Please put me down. You'll have sore arms if you don't"

"I know you eat a lot but you aren't that heavy. Chill." Jinyoung looked too happy to be in this situation.

I huffed in annoyance and tried another strategy. "Look Jinyoung, someone might see us and I don-"

"Are you embarrassed?" He cut off, sounding hurt.

"What? No, I just want to maintain my reputation which is already-"

A loud, clear click of heels interrupted my sentence and I moved my head towards the source. The middle-aged librarian lady was standing not very far away from the main door. Her arms were folded and her stern looks told that she wasn't very pleased with the situation in front of her. , I can't stay like this. I'm one of her most frequent and favorite readers, I wonder what she will think of me after this. Without any more persuasion to my stubborn boyfriend, I took a sudden leap of courage and jumped from his arms, landing on all fours on the wooden floor.

"Ouch!" I groaned in pain, immediately regretting my decision. Jinyoung bent down to my side and tried to help me up. I swear I sprained my ankle, it's s freaking painful. First, my headache and now my ankle. That's what you call a cherry on top.

"Miss Mirae, I think you are well aware of the time when this library closes down. Also, do I need to tell a grown-up and a prefect like you that this is not a place to take naps. You've given us much trouble tonight." Her voice was grim and authoritative.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," I replied meekly. "It was entirely by accident, I didn't mean to disturb you."

She nodded curtly. "Now, please return back to your rooms before anybody catches you."

I hurriedly hobbled to the front door, thankfully making it outside in one piece with Jinyoung following me in the deserted corridor. As soon as the librarian locked the library, taking the stairs to downstairs, Jinyoung threw me a naughty smile as I seethed in embarrassment.

"Oh god, this was so fun."

"Did I hear you wrong? Is my very own boyfriend making fun of me getting scolded?" 

"Well, you have to admit, you don't see that happening every day. It's a sight for sore eyes." He grinned walking closer to me and his eyes turned into these crinkly crescents.

I rolled my eyes, turned around trying to walk properly but failed at every attempt. In the end, I gave up and ended up hobbling on one foot, taking support from the wall. I heard an exasperated sigh behind me and Jinyoung, once again, swept me up in his arms.

I directed him a questioning glance. "I'm not letting you walk all the three floors back at this speed no matter how humiliated you feel," Jinyoung affirmed.

I smiled a little, waving my hand carelessly. "It's fine. I've already lost all of my dignity. Might as well have some fun."

"That's the spirit, dear."

-

As we entered February, we were welcomed with a sudden drop in temperature. The biting winds became harsher than before and did wonders on one's already dry skin. The sun appeared only in the early morning, just like many of our students, slipped out of sight once making sure that its presence was marked. It got dark really early and the lights and lamp posts would be lighted in the early afternoon.

 So when, in such cruel conditions, one is forced to take rounds of the whole ing school for two long hours (supporting a sprained ankle, did I mention), a sour mood is bound to follow. Not that Junymun's company wasn't pleasant, but still it did not help my increasing hatred for winters. Yumi always used to say that whenever I'm in an awful mood, I become bolder. More outspoken and blunt. But her words had never proved right as much they did tonight when I gathered up enough courage to ask Chanyeol about my awfully confusing conversation with his ex. It wasn't a piece of cake to pluck up the courage to do that, putting our friendship to stake but it was eating me up.

It was like any other night, I had returned from rounds with a pile of work waiting for me. It was around the same time when most students went to their cozy, warm beds. Including Jinyoung who was already exhausted from 4 hours of practice, after a last peck on my lips, stumbled to his dorm. It was the perfect moment, considering the fact that the common room was almost deserted while Chanyeol was seated on the carpet just beside the couch I was sitting on, his head resting beside my thigh.

"When did the Korean war end?" Chanyeol asked in confusion. "Oh wait, don't tell me, I should know---"

"1953" I answered for him.

"Exactly, thanks."

Snapping his finger, he quickly bent down to his textbook and scribbled down. I was still forming the words in my head on how to start the conversation. I swear I've never in my life hesitated so much. I could have asked for help from Yumi, she's a pro at handling such situations, but I didn't feel like telling this to anyone for now. I know that I'd tell her, one day or the other. Yet, I kept this little confession deep in my heart, hoping there wouldn't be any need to tell anyone.

He looked up thinking hard and showed me the length of his essay. "It's good, right? Wasn't it supposed to be two full pages?"

I nodded in approval. "But make it three. It'll leave a good impression."

He rolled his eyes dramatically. "Good impression? No, thanks. The History professor is already whipped for me."

I scoffed. 

"You're coming to the match, right?" He asked, his tone sounding hopeful. I'd promised him over Christmas that I'd come to this match and support his team. It would be my first, in fact.

"Um...I'll try my best."

Chanyeol flashed a smile and gathered his things standing up. I recognized that this was my moment. "Wait," I whispered holding up his shoulder. He raised an eyebrow, seating himself back on the floor. 

"Can I ask you something before I become too coward again?" Wow, you're off to a great start, Mirae.

He smiled. "How can I say no to that?"

I shifted in my seat uncomfortably as he made himself comfortable on the carpeted floor again by wrapping his arms around his knees, facing me this time. His eyes twinkled brightly as he waited for me to start. Figuring that the best way to get over this was to speak quickly and not look at his face. I started, "Okay, um, so Yoori approached me a few weeks back."

He raised an eyebrow, sobering up quickly, the smile slipped.

I stopped, deciding how to phrase the next part. "And she... well, look I knew that you both broke up because she thought there was something going on between us, or whatever. But that night, she told me.." 

I finally looked his way to get an idea of his expression. He must have understood me by now, it was so obvious but his face betrayed no emotion.

"Yes?"

"Uh... that she wasn't completely wrong and that you, er--you know." I stuttered moving my hands, back and forth, between us indicating what I couldn't bring myself to say out loud.

"That I liked you?" Chanyeol asked, to my utter surprise. He thankfully didn't play the game of beating around the bush like me and got to the point, saving me from the trouble. I bobbed my head frantically, my lips still zipped tightly.

His gaze dropped to the floor, he explained. "Yeah, I er- sort of led her to believe that it was true because I didn't want her to know that it was actually because I was just sick of dating her already and welcomed the chance to end i."

My eyes widened in surprise. Frowning in disappointment, he'd been so horrible to Yoori. At least, that's why I told myself I was disappointed.

"I know," He muttered, wrinkling his nose as he saw my disgusted expression. Did he use me as an excuse to break up with her? "It was pretty crap of me to do that. I shouldn't have but, well, what's done is done, right?"

I forced a tight smile. "Yeah, something like that."

A very awkward silence settled. There was an uncomfortable lurching in my stomach. I just had a gut feeling that he wasn't completely telling the truth. But he was pretty casual about it, quick in explaining the matter. He jumped back up and gathered his things.

"So, am I allowed to leave, your majesty?" Chanyeol chuckled. 

I gulped, nodding abruptly. I didn't trust myself to open my mouth and not say something stupid.

-

The tension got thick in the air as we approached the 7th of February, hence the football match. The students were highly anticipating it. Some were adorning banners and others were preparing the cheers and slogans. Even the teachers, to my annoyance, were lenient on the football team if they didn't hand over their homework on time, knowing that it was because of the heavy schedule. I mean that's unfair, right? I work my off every night too after my perfect duties. But I'd rather keep these thoughts to myself because everyone would just say I'm jealous. Our Headmistress was pretty excited too, seeing that she called Chanyeol in her office to instruct him. I still hadn't got hold of what was so special about it until Yumi enlightened me with the fact that this match was a semi-final for the cup, and the last match to be played in this term. I guess the final was in our last semester but it makes sense why everyone is looking forward to the semi-final.

A surprisingly loud ringtone echoed in our room. I was ready to scold Yumi for not muting her cell phone when I, thankfully, realized that it was my own phone. I rummaged through my books and saw Eomma flashing up on my screen.

"Hey, Eomma." I greeted trying to hide the tired tone in my voice.

"Hi sweetie! How's everything going? You haven't called for a long time."

It was true. The last time we chatted over the phone was about two weeks ago when I had mainly told her about Jinyoung. These two weeks, in my life, seemed like a lifetime.

"I know, I'm so sorry. I just got really busy." I explained. It feels so bad to hear my parents say that but it really isn't easy to work my way through quizzes and pre-finals.

"Of course, I understand. When are the exams?"

"Mid-April," I answered, massaging my temples to soothe the wrenching pain pounding my head.

"Ohhh, that's pretty close." She commented. "Mirae dear, please, don't overwork yourself. Your father and I are worried about you."

"Why? I'm totally fit."

"Just look after yourself."

"Sure, sure," I assured her. "How's Appa? And unnie?"

"Everyone is good. Your sister is currently planning a vacation with her boyfriend."

I sat up on my bed. "Vacation?" Since when did my parents allow us to go on vacations with our boyfriends alone?

"Yeah, she insisted a lot. Your father wasn't very inclined but then he says it's a gift for her graduation."

"Oh. Good for her."

"Yeah, we really miss you." She said sadly.

"Come on, just one more year and I'll be back."

"I'm counting days, dear." She responded. "Oh and speaking of boyfriends, how's yours?"

"He's good."

"That's great. Say my hi to him."

"Sure....um, listen Eomma, I was in the middle of something, can I get back to you later?"

"Of course, darling. You sound tired too. Good night."

"Good night." 

I hung up the call and let out a large sigh. I felt guilty for not sounding very cheerful on the call but don't blame me. Blame this damn headache.

"Yumi, you got a painkiller?"

"No, why?"

I pointed towards my head. She asked the twins and to my relief, Eunji did have one with her.

-

Since we were nearing the end-of-term exams too, the burden got tripled. I didn't even have time to contemplate my conversation with Chanyeol. Test, quizzes, and vivas were all my life consisted of. Oh, and one more thing:  a very cranky Jinyoung.

"Well, are you sure?" He demanded me, one late night.

I paused before answering to control the annoyance from dripping in my tone. I should get an award for keeping my irritation under check. I replied calmly.  "Jinyoung, why would I have your Geometry textbook?"

He stared at me after letting out a large, defeated sigh. "You're right, sorry."  he turned to rummage in his bag. Frowning slightly, he stopped suddenly.

"Actually, I might have left it in the football lockers. I brought it down to study because Chanyeol tends to get a bit tense around the big matches and repeats the tactics again and again that it gets boring. Though he would have killed me if he'd caught me. I'll...I'll just get it back." With that, he left through the door.

It was my turn to frown. Not because of his endless ranting because I had gotten used to it. No, I was once again contemplating the ridiculousness of this sport. I mean, his re-exam was nearing and he couldn't even study without igniting Chanyeol's wrath!

Just then the Football captain himself made an entrance in the common room accompanied by Baekhyun. I knew fully well that anyone who played or seriously loved football would be very sensitive to my allegations so I decided to be very careful about my words. But I had to say what I've been feeling for the last few months.

"Mirae, where's rookie?" Chanyeol asked me, grinning, as he and Baekhyun plopped on the couch across me. "I'd figured that since I had so graciously canceled practice today, he'd love to spend his free evening with you."

"I'm glad you brought that up, Chanyeol." I ignored his question. "You've had, what? six practices in the last seven days, am I right?"

From out of the corner of my eye, I saw Baekhyun frown at me, but his friend merely shrugged, "Yeah, why?"

"Seems like a lot, don't you think?"

"Not with the big match coming up." He spoke. "And since we'd lost to St. Joseph's so that means we need six more points to lead and we-"

"Yes, well, sparing the details." I hurriedly cut him off not caring about all the stupid details. "I think that.... with exams coming up...some people might appreciate-"

Baekhyun must have caught on to what I was implementing because he quickly interrupted me saying, "Careful, Mirae." Although his voice was teasing but there was a warning look in his eyes when I glanced at him.

Ignoring it, I pressed, "All I'm saying is that some of your players might appreciate more time off-"

"And from some people, you mean Jinyoung." Chanyeol inquired, raising his brows. All signs of casualness wiped away from his features as he faced me squarely.

"Well, yes."

His lips pressed in a thin straight line before saying, "Okay, so let me get this straight-- Jinyoung is feeling stressed, so he asked you to talk to me and-"

"No, of course he didn't!" I quickly clarified. "He's perfectly capable of talking to you if he-"

"Then maybe you should let him." Chanyeol cut me off tersely.

I narrowed my eyes at him, my mouth dropped. So he's going to act all pissed off now just because I'm trying to show him something he's obviously blind to? "Fine." I answered shortly and returned to reading the book opened in front of me. But after few seconds of thick, agonizing silence, I couldn't help adding, 

"But, you know, he doesn't want to let you down, so I don't think he'd ever admit having trouble about it with you but he's clearly tensed about his re-exam, which is completely understandable-"

"Seriously Mirae, I think you should let him handle it." Chanyeol interrupted again, his anger barely controlled in his voice. His tone and words, both demanding me to shut up. "He's not a child."

"Why are you getting all defensive about this? I'm just--" I snapped.

"Well, why are you?"

We glared at each other for a minute or two, until Baekhyun nervously broke the silence saying, "So, I've been thinking of buying a motorcycle."

He was obviously trying to lighten up the mood and distract both, Chanyeol and I, who were currently too stubborn to take our fiery gaze from each other, trying to glare the other down. It was soon changing into what people used to call the infamous Chanyeol-Mirae row. I hate to go through this again but he's just so--so stubborn and unreasonable sometimes. I'm sure Baekhyun might have been successful if Jinyoung hadn't chosen the exact moment to enter the scene.

"Ah, Jinyoung, glad you're here." Chanyeol said with forced pleasantness. "Maybe you can settle something here. You have a mother, right?"

I sighed impatiently, "That's not-"

"I think I was speaking to him, Mirae." Chanyeol raised a stern eyebrow.

"Uh...yes. I do." Jinyoung replied, looking unsurely between his captain and his girlfriend.

"Excellent. Then, I suppose you wouldn't need Mirae to worry about you doing well in school, do you?"

"I can-" I started angrily.

"Because apparently, she feels it necessary to inform me that I'm very insensitive to schedule football practices so often and should listen to your every need making sure you aren't too stressed out, cousel you if you need help."

"Uhh..." Jinyoung repeated. "What's going on?"

"Stop it, Park Chaneyol!" I lashed at him. "Honestly, it's just a damn game, I don't understand why is everyone...oh please don't look so shocked. "I said impatiently. "Really, do you think it's going to matter in ten years if you won the game or not? But whether you pass this exam or not, that's gonna matter."

Chanyeol let out a short disbelieving laugh, "Of course, you'd say something like that. Didn't expect any more form someone like you. God, I don't even know why I'm still listening to you." He threw me a dismissing look.

I huffed in temper realizing this was no more a fight between football or exams. It was a fight for our pride. It was a fight for who gets the last word in. He stood up and gathered his things to leave but I wasn't going to let him get away with this so easily, not before he accepts his mistake at least.

"As far as I remember, you had to take a re-exam last year too, right? You should understand Jinyoung's stand even better." I raised my voice to get his attention.

His eyes slanted thin, before answering sharply. "Look, I had football practice everyday last year too, and I made it fine  through my paper. So I don't think Jinyoung-"

Seething, I stood up from my seat too. "Oh, right sorry, so if it's fine for the great Park Chanyeol, then it should be good enough for everyone else." His nostrils flared at my response and I could feel his blood boiling in anger. 

But, I continued. "I know for a fact that you hardly studied all of last year-"

"And the how the hell would you know that? You didn't think I was worth your precious time, back then, remember?" There was fire in his eyes as he spat the hateful words.

"Well, you certainly had plenty of free time to bully people and ruin my life, didn't you?"

Baekhyun gasped. Chanyeol blinked, briefly stunned to silence at my words. That moment of quiteness made me realize the insanity I'd just blurted out. Those last few years have been an unforgettable topic, why did I have to bring it up again?! Then, with another humorless laugh, he started for the door.

Already feeling guilty of my outburst, I called, "Wait, Chanyeol, I didn't mean-"

He whipped back and glared at me, "Why don't you do all of us a favor, Mirae, and shut up?"

Feeling like I'd been slapped, I turned back to the others. I glanced at Baekhyun who was looking at me with a sad smile on his face.

"You just had to bring up that day, didn't you?"

He stood up and followed his friend's steps. My throat tightened at his words. The disappointment in his tone was almost worse than Chanyeol's outright anger. I slumped on the couch, still shocked at what I had exploded. All I wanted was to make things right for Jinyoung and make Chanyeol see the reality with a clear vision but I ended up messing things for myself. Tears sprang up in my eyes but I started blinking quickly to push them down. I heard a sound and looked up to notice Jinyoung. I had totally forgotten he was here too.

"Can you explain what just happened?" He asked.

I shook my head and left for my room before replying in a quivering voice. "Please, leave me alone, Jinyoung. I'm not in the mood right now."

--------------------

"I mean, what made me say that?" I moaned to Yumi, who was doing her makeup in the bathroom on the big day of the match.

"For the thousandth time, Mirae, I don't know!" She replied, sounding a little annoyed. To be honest, I had been obsessing over my fight with Chanyeol since the last three days. But this time I was cursing at my own stupidity rather than blaming him for something he did, unlike old times.

Jinyoung thankfully hadn't brought up the topic again. I kept avoiding Chanyeol as much as I could by hiding in my room. But I still couldn't miss classes where we kept our distance in silence. Yumi and I ate alone, hung out on our own. I've never felt so bad before. He's definitely not the old stuck-up person anymore but I just went ahead and taunted him about it.  I mean, I remember very well, that I had agreed with myself that everything that happened between Sehun and I, had nothing to do with Chanyeol but this stupid little tongue has no stopper. Here I was, two months ago, thinking that how strange it is that Chanyeol and I have never fought after our newfound friendship. I guess it was too soon to assume things.

"If you'd just apolo-"

"I did try but he just told me to shut up!" I said, knowing that this was a pathetic excuse.

"So, why don't you try again? After the match for an instance? If we win, which we surely will, he'd be in a very good mood." She suggested coming out of the bathroom.

"Okay." I said quietly.

"Are you sure you don't want to come to the match?" She asked again. Who would after this much humiliation? 

"What, Mirae's not coming to the match?" Eunmi exclaimed looking at me like I had grown a new head.

I shook my head. "I'm just not in the mood today."

"Not even to cheer Jinyoung?" Yumi persuaded.

"He doesn't mind. I've told him good luck and all." I answered.

Yumi rolled her eyes. "Okay fine, but I'm making you come at the party after we win."

"Fair enough." I assented.

"I'm excited for the party too!" Eunji cried out in happiness. "It's been three months, right? Since Chanyeol broke up with Yoori?"

"Two." Her twin corrected. "But still, we know she dumped him because-"

"Shh!" Eunji hissed and both girls turned their heads at me. I raised my brows at them. Okay great, so everybody knows?

"Oh, anyways, I mean he's got to get over her by now, right?" Eunmi continued.

"Definitely." Yumi said, amused.

"Do you think I could get him drunk enough for a make out session?" Eunmi blurted out thoughtfully.

We all started giggling. As improbable as it may seem, I agree it would be a hilarious sight to see.

--------------------

Even though I didn't attend the match, I got to hear the coverage, word by word. I tried hard to concentrate on my novel but gave up after I realized that the whoever was the commentator, was doing a very good job at it. This guy's voice was booming all over the area and I started wondering if he was even using a microphone or not. From time to time, I would hear the thundering cheers saying PARK-CHAN-YEOL! As much as I avoided going to the match to get my mind off him, the cheers seemed to mock me ironically.

The match went on for three and a half hours. And as fate would have it, we did win. Although I wasn't in a celebratory mood, I managed to look enthusiastic when everyone came flooding back to the school building. 

I also tried my best to hide in my room for the majority of the party, until Yumi literally dragged me out of the common room, insisting that I, at least, congratulate my beloved boyfriend.

He came straight up to me as I cleared the last step to the common room. "Hey- I'm sorry...I've been a really horrible girlfri-" I started but got interrupted as he kissed me.

"We won!!!" He exclaimed sporting the most charming smile I've ever seen.

"I'm sure, all due to your brilliant skills!" I grinned.

"Nah, Chanyeol shot most of the goals but anyways." He replied and kissed me again, I immediately found myself responding to him, closing my eyes. I've been longing to see Jinyoung loosen up.

I looked around the room and found everyone screaming over the loud music, thumping from the speakers. The happiness of victory was evident from every face. "Can I get you a drink?"

I laughed. "Sure, uhh...just a soda." I requested, vividly remembering my last encounter with beer.

"I'll be right back." Jinyoung promised.

I took the opportunity to look for Chanyeol, though I wonder if he'll spare enough time to listen to me, seeing that, today all the spotlight was specifically on him. Surprisingly, I spotted him coming over to me.

, here we go. I braced myself for a biting taunt but instead he stole me for a sloppy hug. I was so shocked that I stood there, hands hanging by my side stupidly. He released me after a moment, stumbling slightly.

"Mirae, I'm-I just...sorry about...the thing." He said, his words making no sense.

Laughed at his messy sentence, I accused him. "You're drunk!"

"Li'l bit." He hiccuped. "But I mean it, I--I mea-"

"I know, I'm sorry too. I shouldn't try to tell you how to run your team." I quickly apologized.

"I am the Capt'n."

I laughed again. "Yes you are, that's why I'm apologizing. Let's just forget it? And I also-" But I stopped. There was no need to bring up the other part, right? If Chanyeol wasn't bothered by it, then I wouldn't start the fight again.

"Righ' yeah." He grinned. "Well, glad that's settled."

"Me too, because, I really didn't-"

But, my words were cut off once again when Chanyeol suddenly leaned down to my height and pressed his lips firmly against mine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woah Finally!!! Took him long enough.

 I got this idea when Sehun had revealed last year in the Nature Republic event that Chanyeol tends to be very romantic when he's drunk. Anyways, what's better than a drunken kiss? ;)

But everything aside, I'm really curious to know your reviews, good or bad? About everything, the confession, the fight and everything following it. Please me know through comments, they are my only source of motivation to keep this story going :D

Have a good day and thank you so much for supporting my book <3