Chapter 29

It's Always You

Forgive me XD

[SPOILER ALERT: This is the first chapter where all EXO members make an appearance, however small. God, I'm so proud of myself :D ]

---------------------------

The following day was almost the same, but at least with regards to my inner turmoil; I didn't use alcohol to deal with all the .

"Did you talk to him yet?" were the first words that left Yumi's mouth when I met her at the Chemistry lecture hall in the morning. It should be a crime to hold a class on the day of prom, but that's Madame Jung for you. She was adamant to show us our quizzes that she'd just marked and guide further about attempting it. This is why only a small number of us got up early for this half-hour session. From all the people I knew, there were Yumi, Eunmi, Junmyun, Chanyeol, a couple of his football teammates, a girl I remember from the cheerleading team, and several other selective students but I think I might be too sleepy to recognize anyone else even if I knew them.

"And a good morning to you too." I returned pointedly.

She waved me off impatiently. "Yes, yes and all that. So?"

"Everyone chop, chop!" Madame Jung, wearing an annoyingly cheerful and awake expression clapped her hands on the table. "I know all of you are starving for breakfast but hold yourselves together, it wouldn't take long."

How this woman could always be so fresh and active remains a mystery. Everyone sighed wearily. "Hey, good morning." Chanyeol greeted Yumi as Junmyun and he walked towards us. Or he might have addressed me as well but I pretended I didn't hear him. I heard my best friend greet him back.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw him rubbing his red bloodshot eyes, stifling a yawn. "I feel dead."

Junmyun nodded in agreement. "Who schedules a class before breakfast!"

Yumi sighed, "On the freaking night of prom!"

 Madame Jung's voice boomed. "Mr. Choi, it would be a great favor if you can button up your collar." She scolded a boy as she walked among the students, hands folded on her back. "There are certain manners for entering a classroom."

The poor guy turned red to his roots before murmuring an apology, his hands fumbling with his shirt. "Geez, this woman," Junmyun muttered under his breath.

All of us held our breath as she headed towards us, my hands immediately smoothing the creases of my skirt. "Good morning, ma'am." 

She spoke in a gentler tone. "Good morning, Miss Kang. I expect you'll be submitting me December's prefect patrolling schedule soon?"

I frowned. What? I haven't even started working on it yet. "Pardon?"

She raised an eyebrow, glimpsing at Chanyeol behind me. "Oh, I was of the view that you had already compiled it?"

At the moment, I felt a light kick prodding on my ankle from behind. It was obviously Chanyeol. Suddenly everything made sense to me. He had lied to Madame Jung about working with me when in reality, he was out on a date. It led her to think that we had done it.

Hearing him clearing his throat, I quickly lied, "Yes, that's right. I'll forward the schedule to your office tomorrow."

She smiled, "Perfect."

As she turned around, I heaved a sigh and gave Chanyeol a look for the first time. His hair was terribly messed up. The guy just smiled sheepishly.

I picked up my books to find myself a seat.

I saw Junmyun waving me over but I excused him. I needed to be as farther from Chanyeol as I could manage. It's still too much in his presence. So for the first time in my life, I took one of the backbenches with Yumi. The projector was positioned and . 

It had only been a few minutes into the presentation when my best friend threw me a jumbled piece of paper. I raised an eyebrow before taking a look at it. [Wow, that was some real tension between you guys. Now I'm sure something happened!]

I rolled my eyes. [After class]

[I can't wait. Come on, no one is looking. Word's on the street that you and Chanyeol had a fight last night?]

I threw her a look. [Heard from who?]

[Does that matter?]

[Yes]

[Well, I heard one of those juniors who have a crush on him saying that they say you both talking in the common room when everyone was out for dinner.]

[Oh right, and that explains so much]

Yumi fixed me with an irritated, impatient glare. [They also said you were crying. What did Chanyeol say?]

[Ughh, Why is everyone sticking their nose in my life?!] I hastily wrote back while trying to keep up with Madame Jung's words.

[Don't bother, it's not you. It's Chanyeol who's popular]

I rolled my eyes. [I don't know. things are a little complicated with him]

Yumi chuckled a little. [Little? Lol]

I narrowed my eyes when she passed me the paper. Massaging my temples, I wrote back. [I told him I have broken up with Jinyoung]

I saw my friend read my words and write something back. But whatever it was, I'd never know. As the paper was being passed to me, another hand grabbed it, snatching it in their grasp. I gasped.

Turning around, I saw Madame Jung wearing a displeased frown on her face. Her narrowed eyes almost invisible behind the spectacles. I bit my lip. Great going, Mirae, out of all the teachers who could have caught you passing notes, it had to be the woman who took after Hitler.

Yumi and I sprang up from our seats, mumbling weak apologies. Eyes trained on the floor, my whole body shook in fear. "I am greatly disappointed to see our Head Girl passing notes in my class. Is this the example you're setting for others?"

My mind was still too numb to register how she walked all the way to the backbenches and caught us, more surprisingly, without me noticing a single movement. If I could dig a hole and hide, I would have. The entire class was quiet, looking at us. I felt his eyes on me.

"I'm sorry, ma'am." I hated the tremble in my voice. "It wouldn't happen again."

"You are students of senior high, this immature attitude is not tolerable." She said in her biting tone. "Miss Yumi, you need to start getting serious about your grades if you want admission to any college. What could be so important that you felt the need to discuss during class?"

My eyes widened in fear as she held up the paper in her hand, her eyes scanning it. Okay, I'm dead. Officially stripped off of my position as a Head Girl after this. Surely kicked out of class. I swear if she reads out Yumi's and my conversation out loud to the class I'm going to melt right here and never get back up. All my life, I've worked like crazy to get into her good books and gain her trust, and now Madam Jung would think I'm just any other girl who has boy troubles and is nonserious about her grades.
Somebody kill me already!

She said curtly, "And I'll really appreciate it if you can keep your personal problems with Mr. Park away from the classroom."

My breath hitched in my throat. She did it. She told the entire class that I was talking about Chanyeol. I want to cry, for real. I looked up from the ground for a moment and met Chanyeol's burning gaze which I wasn't able to face so I turned away.

-

As soon as class was over, I picked my books and rushed out of class. Yumi called after me, but I needed to get away from everyone. From him, from all the students whispering in their ears about the rare humiliation of the Head Girl at the hands of her favorite teacher. Everyone's got the tea now.

My best friend finally caught up to me at the dining hall. "I'm sorry!"

I closed my eyes. "It's my fault too."

Her tone was light as she caressed my arm. "Aww, I know how much that woman means to you, I'm sorry you had to go through that."

I shook my head. To be honest, the blow of my reputation wasn't that of an issue compared to the humiliating way Chanyeol had to find out that I was still thinking and talking about him, even after we'd closed the matter last night.

"Okay, can we start where we left?" Yumi grinned, putting a french toast on my plate, and poured herself a glass of milk. "Stop being such a drama queen, I need to know!"

I sighed. "You know, this caused me a great deal of emotional distress, you can try to ask me in a delicate manner instead."

"Ouch, that's harsh."

"Emotional distress, Yumi." I sighed.

"Alright, sorry, it's just that . . . "

"Just what?"

She bit her lip. "You don't exactly . . . seem distressed about it."

I threw her a look over my plate. "I cried myself to sleep last night--- that clear things up for you?"

Yumi's expression changed immediately and I felt guilty. But only a little. "Oh, Mirae, I didn't mean--yes, last night you were obviously bothered . . . I never would have said that but---I'm so so sorry!"

I couldn't help laughing a little at her hurried apology. "It's fine, Yumi--really."

"No, I should have been more sensitive, I mean it is about time after all." She said with a sheepish sort of grin.

"I knew you couldn't hold it in for long." I frowned, shaking my head. "Hold on, how long have been waiting for this? Please tell me it's not since you got all hyped up from last year's texts with Chanyeol on Christmas."

"No, not since then, but . . . I don't know. But then things with Jinyoung started fairly quickly. It wasn't until more recently . . . . that I started to think you...uh probably liked Chanyeol." She trailed off with a teasing smile, wiggling her brows.

I just stared at her. "How is it possible that you knew before I did?"

"Mirae--" She started.

But I cut her off, suddenly realizing something. ", you even tried to warn me, didn't you? All that 'be careful' rubbish--- or I thought it was rubbish, and see I've completely made a mess of everything now."

Yumi seemed to be struggling with something, as though debating whether she should say it or not. "You have to talk to Chanyeol." She burst out. "I know I already said that---"

"Yumi," I tried to interject.

"---but you do, Mirae. You . . . just have to!"

"I know, but--"

"This might be pushy, and maybe it means that I'm a bad friend to interfere but knowing you, I have to! And I don't care how much I have to argue with you, but you are going to---"

"Yumi!" I spoke loudly, to catch her attention. " I know that and I already have."

She raised an eyebrow and fell quiet to hear me out. I looked down and pushed aside my plate, I've lost my appetite anyway. "I tried last night."

I laid out my conversation with Chanyeol to her, each and every confession and how I couldn't seem to stop lying in front of him. Yumi looked at me seriously when I'd finished. "Look, Mirae, if you want to work this out, you can't just give him up."

"I know." I mumbled quietly. "I don't want to give up too. But what if it's too late? If Chanyeol ever felt something for me-" I ignored her disbelieving scoff. "- it's gone now."

"Oh, come on--"

"Yumi", I said firmly, a little frustrated now, "he called kissing me a mistake! It leaves no confusion."

"But that's not true--"

"Stop it, I am having enough trouble with it already without you trying to convince me that I might be looking at it wrong all along."

"But what if you are?"

"But I'm not." When she opened again to protest, I cut her off. "Look he would have had a different reaction if he felt the same as he used to. It was his perfect chance to make a move! All he did when I told him about my breakup was acting sympathetic. If he really wanted to . . . . I mean it's Chanyeol, he doesn't exactly hesitate to say everything that pops in his head, does he?

Yumi still looked like she wanted to argue with me, but thankfully recognized that I wanted the subject to be dropped. As she went ahead to re-fill her plate, a minute later, Baekhyun and Eunji dragged along taking the seats beside me.

"Are you sure it was an actual girl?" Eunji asked him for the third time.

"Yep," He said with a grin as he told the girls about Junmyun.

"And neither of them were drunk?" Eunji asked skeptically.

"Nope, well, I couldn't be exact for sure, I was a bit tipsy myself." Baekhyun threw me a meaningful glance and I rolled my eyes.

Yumi, carrying a serving of mashed potatoes, returned to her spot. "Morning all." She greeted cheerily.

"Morning," Eunmi said.

"Hi, Yumi." Eunji sang.

"Junmyun went on a date last night," Baekhyun informed her by way of greeting.

She raised her eyebrows. "Good for him."

Baekhyun frowned. "Why does no one else considers that an earth-shattering occurrence?"

"Who was the girl?" Yumi shot. Baekhyun shrugged nonchalantly. She snorted and continued, "Well, so much for 'earth-shattering'---you didn't even bother to find out her name?"

"It's hardly the important detail," Baekhyun retorted as though it was obvious. "She was quite fit though," He added after a second.

"Which is the important detail, of course." I taunted sardonically. 

"Right you are." He grinned. Junmyun chose the exact moment to enter the hall and join us on the same table, and I instantly felt bad for all the dilemma he would go through in a few minutes. Jumping in before Baekhyun could say anything teasing, I asked him because I knew it was a question everyone was dying to ask, "How'd things go yesterday?"

"Yes, do share dear," His best friend glared at the poor boy. "Since I was unable to spy on you yesterday due to some people--" He threw me another glance--" so, I expect a full report."

"Spy on him?" Yumi asked.

"Of course, it's a trend in guys." Baekhyun stated, with an air of pride before nudging Junymun, "Do you remember, when we followed Chanyeol on his first date?"

"Yeah, back in seventh grade, wasn't it? Jeez, it was fun. He was going out with---"

"God, will you lot shut up?" I interjected loudly, making the other two look at me in surprise. "I'd rather if my ears remained unassaulted until at least the prom, thanks," I added, stabbing my fork on the table.

I instantly felt bad for being rude to the guys. "You weren't kidding, were you?" Junmyun muttered to Baekhyun in a low voice, causing me to glance between the pair of them suspiciously.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I demanded but they just shrugged.

"What I don't understand is that how could he have failed to mention her to Chanyeol and me?!" He said to his friend, sounding offended.

"Yes shocking, isn't it?" I remarked dryly. "Because both of you clearly have been so supportive and haven't at all."

He blinked hearing my biting comment for a moment before--"Well, of course, we would . It is completely normal." Baekhyun insisted. "I mean, we've always teased Chanyeol about---" Junmyun coughed pointedly and his friend immediately announced against his words after a pause "--girls." he finished.

I can bet my life that he was about to say my name but I decided to drop it. Though it still managed to remind me of my own misery. When I rounded on Baekhyun, he casually grinned at me and said, "Perhaps a drink would calm you down, Mirae?"

By now, I had gathered that Chanyeol had shared every bit of detail with his friends and Baekhyun must have filled up them on the few hours I was got drunk with him---of bloody course, the lot of them telling each other everything like a bunch of gossipy teenage girls.

Before I accuse them of that much, Yumi spoke, "Oh, leave her alone, will you? She's emotionally distressed."

I whipped to glare at my best friend who smiled back smugly at me, this was her way of getting back at me. But I knew her comment was an intentional push that I talk to Chanyeol. "Anyways, how did your date go?" asked Yumi.

"Better than Mirae's, for sure." Junmyun said, before wincing after he realized that I'd actually had a break up on my 'date' yesterday. "Sorry, that was insensitive."

"Yes, how cruel of you, dear." Baekhyun teased. "Can't you see the poor girl's distressed?"

I groaned inwardly. From my peripheral vision, I spotted Junmyun wave to somebody to come over. I glanced over to find Chanyeol strolling inside the hall. Quickly turning around, I stormed my brain for an excuse to leave, not ready to see him yet. I have had too many uncomfortable encounters with him. If we didn't have mutual friends, I know I would have never plucked up the courage to face him.  Let out a large sigh, I spoke in a neutral voice, "Alright I'm through with breakfast. You all can find someone else to torture."

As I walked away before anyone could point out that I had hardly taken a bite off my toast, I debated whether I could make it past Chanyeol without having to really acknowledge him, but I quickly threw away that idea, since it was already far too obvious that I avoiding him.

Chanyeol nearly gave a heart attack with his comment on passing me, "Not running away from me, are you Mirae?" He asked teasingly.

How can you be so normal? Hoping that I didn't look guilty, I replied, "No, I haven't touched my homework this weekend, so I might as well get something done before prom."

Chanyeol nodded, easily accepting my excuse. "Well, if you ever need a break, I'm sure I could use some company in detention, Flower." He said with a wink, before walking away. Flower. There it was again. Like we'd only taken a break from friendship for two days and back to normal again.

Trying not to concentrate too much on the way my heart was pounding or the slight tremble in my hands, I continued on my way.

Soon, I discovered that the quietness of my room allowed far more distractions than ever. I'd barely written three sentences of my English essay, but I'd thought about Chanyeol (unwillingly) at least ten times that number. Yumi was right--I was going to go insane if I didn't talk to him about my feelings, but the fear still kept me from doing anything. Nevertheless, my mind kept replaying his last words he said to me and I knew I could easily find him in detention, break him free, and then we could . . .oh dear, my mind and its crazy fantasies.

That's where I would forcefully direct my mind towards homework, it would obey for a while, but then the cycle would start over again.

Finally, I abandoned my room and settled in the common room. As soon as I entered holding the stack of books and notes, everybody eyed me like I had grown a new head. I don't blame them, who studies on the day of the prom? The countdown to prom was on and the build-up to the big day is all a part of the excitement that makes this night so special. 

But we still had a few hours before getting ready and why not consume them. Just when I was beginning to find myself surprisingly productive, Chanyeol threw himself on the couch across me, breaking my train of thought.

"I wish you had broken me out of there, Flower," He muttered, leaning his head back, closed his over tired eyes.

I made a small noise, still acting as if I was focusing on my work.

Chanyeol sat up, I could see him looking at me but I didn't face him, "Scrubbing desks for an entire hour bored me to death!"

Has he totally forgotten yesterday's conversation? or that night before yesterday?

When I merely shrugged in response, he leaned in to catch my eye, frowning slightly. "Mirae? Are you listening to me?"

Finally looking up, I answered, "Yes, it's hard not to at this proximity, Chanyeol. But as you have failed to notice, I'm a bit busy at the moment."

"Then why aren't you in the library? Or your room?"

Because I keep having impossible fantasies about you, I tried not to blush. Aloud, I said, "Couldn't concentrate."

"I thought you hated working in the common room." He pressed.

"Well, that's obviously not the case at the moment, is it?"

Chanyeol frowned, took off his sight from me, and opened a book himself. "Alright, I was just curious." He began irritably. "Sorry to inconvenience you with my--"

I sighed. "Stop it, Chanyeol."

"Stop what?" He asked defensively.

"Acting all victimized just because I snapped at you a little." I knew I was being horrible. , at this rate, I'm nowhere near getting him.

"Wow." He came up after staring at me blankly for a minute. "This breakup has really wrecked you, hasn't it?"

"This isn't about that," I replied without thinking. I wished I could take my words back because, to me, I'd as good as confessed that I liked him and that was what was driving me nuts, but from the way he was glaring at me, I doubt he caught on to that part. I stared at him, and my heart skipped a beat when he adjusted his glasses on his nose bridge. Why do bespectacled guys look more sophisticated and hot than those who aren't?

"Oh so it's just about me then, is it? Excellent," he said sarcastically.

I knew this was my chance to tell him everything . . .but my tongue was locked and I couldn't say anything, not when he was looking so angry. Though my confession might change that part. "No." I lied. "It wouldn't kill you to try for a little sensitivity, you know?"

I shot him a look and he ruffled his hair in frustration. It took a great deal of effort to take my eyes off his face. He looks like a god even when he's moody, I observed. Plus those black glasses were doing an excellent job to kill me. "All right fine, then why don't you tell me what you want me to say, Mirae? Because everything I come up with is apparently wrong."

"I don't want you to say anything. And I didn't mean to snap at you---I was just . . . " I pinched my eyes before saying, "look, can you sit there and do your work quietly like a good boy?"

Unexpectedly, Chnayeol grinned at that. Throwing me a mocking salute he did as I told. A reluctant smile tugged at my lips. After a couple of minutes, he said, "I suppose I should have been a little considerate. Yumi did say something about emotional distress."

Gosh, I can't believe that girl.

I glanced up and found him smirking at me. "I'm going to kill her," I grumbled to myself

He laughed, my heart lifted hearing it, and we continued working in a peaceful silence until he broke it again hesitantly. "You know, if you. . . er-want to talk about anything, you know like about your break up, or just---"

"You don't want to talk about Jinyoung with me," I stated the fact with a snort, knowing him too well.

"Well no," He admitted. "But I can make an exception if I had to. Since it's you."

I looked up at him sharply, but there was nothing in his expression to suggest that he'd meant anything. I shouldn't have been expecting anything, because it made it worse when I didn't find anything. "No, I wouldn't torture you with that," I said.

"That's kind of you."

Suddenly remembering something, I added, "Oh here, before I forget again." I reached for the pile of books on the table that I'd brought from my room, extracting Chanyeol's book and handing it to him.

His smile tightened suddenly, as I held his gaze, before smoothing into a casual indifference. "Oh right, thanks."

It unwillingly brought back memories of two nights ago. "Mirae?" My head shot up at his serious tone. Is he thinking about it too? Does he want to take his words back? My heart thumped loudly. "I really don't want to do this essay."

That brought a merry laugh up to my lips. This boy! "Well, if you think you can convince me to let you copy mine, I'll let you know that I'm against cheating." 

"Do you really think I could have gone through five and a half years of school with you and not know that?" There was something in his tone that felt different.

"Yet, it didn't stop you from asking anyway, did it?" I demanded.

"Well, you can't blame a guy for trying."

"I don't, but one can say that I didn't give you the chance to try your luck," I said, knowing very well that this conversation was not going where it started from. Chanyeol's eyes told me that he knew it.

"You never really have given me the chance, Flower," Chanyeol said.

I couldn't find an answer to that. His words had once again plunged a stab of regret in my chest.

-

At around two in the afternoon, I stumbled back, fully expecting the girls to get ready. To tell the truth, I had zero anticipation for prom. Even though I had a date (for which I am thanking my stars) and especially that being my best friend made things easy for me and I wouldn't have to act madly happy. But I was unable to produce the same excitement as others did.

Eunmi and Eunji had their heads concealed by a million plastic curls while Yumi had a peel-off mask on her face. She waved as soon as she spotted me. "Hey ya!"

I smiled. She sat up. "Good, you're here. Can you look for my black heels?" She said pointing at her suitcase and I nodded. "Yixing called me, says he want to see me." She giggled, taking off her mask. "I'll be back in a few minutes. See you at lunch?"

"Sure." I grinned. "Have fun." I winked at her.

Finding Yumi's black heels were no problem at all, the poor things were wrapped in a piece of a newspaper she must have overlooked. I made my way to the hall for lunch, found the guys lying in a huddle. Baekhyun didn't notice me until I sat beside him. 

Flashing a quirky smile, he asked, "How's the emotional distress, dear?"

I flicked my finger on his forehead. "Shut up." My cheeks turned red as his friends guffawed in laughter. Oh, if only they knew what this distress was about.

Yumi joined us in a few moments, her face dead white as she tripped over her feet. "Careful!" I held her arm, yanking her up.

As we helped her sit, she was already scowling. "What's the matter?" Chanyeol asked.

She sighed. "Yixing can't make it to prom."

"What?!" We gasped in unison.

She bobbed her head sadly. "Yes. That's why he called me."

I frowned. Before I could say a word, Junmyun voiced my words, "But . . . he seemed like a decent guy. Why would he stand you up?"

"No, he didn't mean to. He said he's got a family emergency in China and has to catch a flight back this evening. He was very sorry to call it off at the very last moment, but, well . . .I couldn't blame him for that."

I pursed my lips and nodded, unconsciously patting her head. Baekhyun reached out and ruffled Yumi's hair. "Poor luck, dear."

She nodded miserably. Baekhyun lifted his plate and walked away. "What am I supposed to do now?" she whined.

We looked at her sympathetically. I could definitely understand her pain and helplessness, having been in a similar condition last night. "I am going alone! Alone/ Ah, wae . . . "

"Just think of all the people we know." Chanyeol brainstormed. "Anybody else who hasn't got a date."

"Can't think of anyone."

Yumi sighed deeply and smiled a little. "No, that's fine guys." I arched an eyebrow at her. "I can go on my own, it's alright."

"But Yumi, I---I don't know what to say. I'll stay with as much as I can. Maybe we can---" I started, trying to comfort her.

"There's no need to say anything." Baekhyun re-appeared and slipped back in his seat. When we threw him a questioning glance, he directed a wide smile at Yumi. "Let's go together."

I held back a loud gasp. "What?" Yumi's brows were crinkled.

"Yeah." He replied casually. "I'm serious."

"And your date? Na eun?" Junmyun inquired.

Baekhyun shrugged boredly. "I told her I won't be able to take her." He ed a thumb in the direction where he came from. I saw her sitting there. "And I don't feel bad. The guy sitting beside her was more than willing to ask her out instead, seeing that he proposed her even before I was out of ear shot."

Chanyeol whistled. "Unbelievable."

A happy smile jumped on my best friend's lips. "Are you sure?"

Baekhyun nodded. "We had promised to go together if either of us is ditched, didn't we?" He shrugged. "Couldn't leave you on your own." He tilted his face and smiled.

Wow, this is so sweet. Who would have thought he cared so much for her. 
 
I stole a glance at Chanyeol, who was currently slurping on his vegetable soup ignorantly, and sighed. 

-

My spirits lifted a little when the four of us 'just girls' locked up in our room to dress up. It was really fun actually. We've done it before at parties but this time it was different. When I stepped out after a good hot shower, I discovered that the three of them had already changed and were working on nail art. Eunmi and Eunji chose matching single-strapped shimmery blue and white dresses. But my mouth dropped when my eyes fell on Yumi. That girl looked ravishing. She'd gone for a chic look. A Fuschia-colored sequinned fabric fitted against her figure ending just beneath her knees. Her sparkling cone heels did the job.

She grinned when I kept staring at her. "This is good, isn't it?" She smoothed the soft fabric. "I told you to get this one first. You would have looked amazing!"

I chuckled. "Darling, I can't wear a strapless dress in winter. I just can't."

She rolled her eyes shaking her head disapprovingly. "Comfort over fashion, yikes. Typical you."

I pulled out my own dress from the wardrobe. It wasn't a very fancy thing but I loved it the minute my eyes fell on it. It was a bottle green swing-gown made of silk having a fitted top portion near the bust and flaring toward the knee. The skinny sleeves were a great comfort for me though I doubt would get any warmth from them.

Once I changed and strapped my heels, I had no idea what to do. That was until the girls attacked me with make-up. I had insisted on keeping it light but I don't suppose maroon lip color passes off as simple and light, does it? Oh well. After a few ending touch-ups and topping it off with Dad's gifted pearl earrings, the only part left was the bird nest on my head I often refer to as my hair.

I don't know if it's because of Chanyeol occupying my mind for the greater part of the day or just a random chunk of memory reoccurring, but a vague memory suddenly dawned on me that he had said he liked my hair when it fell loosely in waves, on his birthday if I'm not wrong, but I never considered it much. As I approached Yumi shyly with the request to style my hair accordingly, my cheeks flushed with the thought that I was actually trying to impress him.

"Here." She gave my hair a finishing twirl before setting her curling iron on the dressing table. "Thank you." I smiled with gratitude. 

We grabbed our clutches and turned around for a last look in the vanity mirror. Decent enough, I'd pass.

Eunmi and Eunji still needed another half hour so they urged us to go ahead and not keep our dates waiting. We clicked a selca because Mom is going to kill me if she didn't see how her daughter looked on her prom night. A funny feeling erupted in my head. I exhaled deeply to control my breathing as we descended down the stairs.

The student body was instructed to meet in this huge ballroom our campus had, which they usually kept locked for prosperous occasions like orientations and such. After carrying out the customary rituals of every prom in there, we are supposed to move to our regular hall. And that's the part where hell breaks loose.

I gaped as I caught sight of sophisticated decoration adorning every nook and cranny of the room. I felt like I was attending an elite business party. Gold and maroon tapestries, signifying the school's emblem colors, draped the walls. A beverage table situated on the corner of the room which I'm sure had no intoxicating drinks. Farther away in the hall, I spotted a beautifully embellished background, which I deduced was for the photography session.

Most of the students had already crowded the hall. It was a frenzy of colors honestly. Shades of reds, blues, greens, and pinks blurred my sight. Happy dates already twirled with music.

"Oh my."

I glanced at Yumi and followed her gaze to find Baekhyun and Junmyun advancing towards us, Chanyeol in the lead. Maybe it was the bright lighting of the room or my dizzy head that caused something to flare up in my chest. Chanyeol's radiant smile shone brightly, his glass frames cleaner, and the charcoal black tuxedo hugging his wide torso elegantly. He looked taller, smarter, and every bit stunning. God, he's already Prom King. Baekhyun and Junmyun looked too handsome in dark blue and gray suits respectively. If I didn't know any better, I bet the three of them had hired a hairdresser to style their hair so smoothly.

My breath hitched in my throat as they neared in. Yumi leaned in to whisper, "This night could rank as one of the best of your life if you muster up enough courage, Mirae." She tilted her head at the boys.

Prom nights are famous for being unpredictable if movies are anything to go by. Maybe I can turn it into something unpredictable too? Beautifully unpredictable, of course.

"Good evening, ladies." Baekhyun greeted, winking at Yumi, and kissed her hand jokingly. They surveyed us from head to two and nodded in appreciation. "You managed to look pretty good, you know, Yumi? Oh and Mirae!" Baekhyun grinned. "You brushed your hair! After how long, two years?"

I rolled my eyes. Facing Chanyeol, my heart racing when I spotted his eyes stuck on me. He released a surprised sound, at last, sticking his tongue out. "Gorgeous as always, our Mirae."

"Whose heart-strings are you planning to pull, dear?" Junmyun joked before turning to praise Yumi.

Your friend's.

I thanked the bunch of them in response, blushing as red as my lips were. Baekhyun gifted Yumi a matching pink corsage. She squealed in excitement and hugged him. It's a thing to give your prom date a corsage that matches her dress. I sighed, Sehun doesn't even know the color of my dress. There's no way he would have gotten me one. But that's fine, I guess.

We weren't meeting our dates for some time so we chatted for a while and grabbed drinks. It was a night to make memories after all. This night was made to be a social event, so I tried to pass on my greetings and well-wishes to even those I don't often talk to. I didn't want to be worried about any misconduct that happens tonight and enjoy it as much as I can. 

The prom committee had hired a professional photographer, which was the best part because the trio's amusing poses and facial expressions had me and Yumi rolling on the floor until they pulled us with them. I swear those fun-filled snaps were the cutest. And I'm going to make sure I keep them with me even after graduation. I did force them to click a few decent photos too to show my parents.

Junmyun went ahead to his date, the beautiful prefect that he had been raving over for weeks, and Baekhyun and Yumi moved to the dance floor. Thankfully, all the awkward sentiments I was feeling around Chanyeol had dispelled off. 

Chanyeol dragged me to a corner. I raised an eyebrow. Yumi's words of advice echoed in my head. But he pulled something out from his pocket before I could say a word. An emerald green-silver corsage. I looked at him in surprise while he just smiled that enchanting smile. Without any words, he lifted up my wrist and tied the corsage ribbon around it.

It wasn't easy to stop myself from reaching up there and kiss him, regardless of anyone watching us. But things could have been so different from the beginning if I did have that amount of chivalry in the first place. Though that did not stop me from pulling him in for a short hug. He smiled, "I just thought you would want to--" he started to explain.

I interrupted him. "I know. Thank you."

"You owe me a dance," I announced.

He grinned teasingly. "Do I?"

"Yes," I answered with equal playfulness. "I've been covering up too much for you lately, it's payback time."

"Well, I'm not complaining at all."

I stared into his eyes longingly trying to convey the message and he stared back but I spotted Hyori (in the tiniest red dress ever) coming. Not wanting to greet her and be obliged to start a short conversation with her for Chanyeol's sake, I decided to leave, quite reluctantly. Things could have been absolutely perfect if he were my date. Oh, well.

Sehun came along as soon as I left and greeted me with a pretty smile (and a whistle as his gaze traveled over me). The jet black tux, polished shoes, and his half-slicked back hair only needed a red sports car to pull off his spoiled-rich-son-of-a-politician look. "Bonjour, my lady."

I grinned. "You look dashing."

"I know." He smirked. "You too."

He offered me his arm which I happily accepted.

"What do you want to do first?" He asked.

"Don't know. This is my first prom too." I answered cheekily.

He rolled his eyes. "Come on, I'll introduce you to my classmates."

He pulled me to a bunch of guys among whom I spotted Jongdae and Kyungsoo. The guys were so polite, I thought I was attending a conference instead of a high school event, however, Sehun's classmates still managed to engage me in a deep conversation. I tried to keep myself intact, even if their topics revolved around the latest music trends, but I think I didn't make a fool of myself.

It was only after an hour that the management team announced that we shall be served dinner in the other hall and we moved over there which had a more casual and informal environment. The dance floor was bigger, lights fainter with party lights hanging, a hired DJ, not a single teacher in sight, and wine. But Sehun and I had already bonded not to let alcohol ruin the night.

We posed for photos to commemorate the day before hitting the floor. Let's get one thing straight: I am a rubbish dancer and even more so when I was paired with Sehun because I swear that guy has no bones in his body when he waltzes around like a professional. Completely breathless, we were halfway through our third dance when my eyes caught sight of Chanyeol twirling Hyori at a little distance, his loud bubbling laugh echoing in my ears. I stopped abruptly, frowning, resisting the need to march up there and slap aside the happy smile on her face.

"Jealous much?"

I whirled at Sehun who was leaning near my ear, an amused smirk playing on his mouth. I can't admit my feelings to him. Not when he dislikes Chanyeol so much.

Shaking my head, "I don't know what you're talking about." I closed my eyes. "I'm tired. Can we go and sit for a while?" I let him lead me back to the chairs to have a tonic. I could feel hints of a terrible headache, oh boy, it's going to be a long night.

It didn't take me long to discover that a single sight of Chanyeol and his date had dampened my mood for the entire night, squeezing any energy left inside me. But the part that bothered me was that I was tugging Sehun along in my dreadful misery. So I tried to stay cheerful for him, ignoring every time Chanyeol and Hyori passed by us looking like a couple on a honeymoon. Sehun and I had tons of chocolate pie and chatted about almost every existing topic until the clock ticked eleven.

By now, it was becoming consistently tricky to dodge my headache. It just had to happen tonight, huh? Nothing seemed to brighten up this night and I realized it was a lost cause. Sehun was great with me and God knows it would have been worse if he didn't stick with me the whole time . . . but I was done acting.

I excused myself for a trip to the restroom, hoping to get some time for myself but I was annoyed to find a dozen girls, fixing up their makeup and exposing intimate details of their make-out sessions. I waited until the number of girls minimized to let out the few tears floating on the tip of my eyelids. I gazed at my reflection in the mirror cursing myself for working so hard on my hair. It was no use. 

Can this night get any worse? I wonder if it would have been like this if Jinyoung and I were together and my feelings for Chanyeol hadn't grown over me. Then I remembered he was never going to make it even then.

Motivating myself that Chanyeol had promised me a dance, I walked outside of the restroom, colliding with someone leaning against the doors. "Oh, sorry, I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed.

"No worries, beautiful."

I studied the guy flirting before me. Okay not bad. Judging from his fresh, carefree chocolate colored face, he looked too young to be a senior. When I didn't reply he added, "Can you check if my date is still in there?"

I complied, glancing over my shoulder. "Who is--"

"White. She's wearing a white . . . . uh thing."

I smiled before I can help it and peeked through the door. Facing him again, I joked, "Yes, your data is in there, bragging about how soft your hair is."

That gained me a huge laugh out of him and I liked the sound of it. He seems like the kind of guy Chanyeol would consider competition when it came to charming ladies. He went on smugly. "Oh really? That feels nice to hear."

"Judging from your looks, I won't be wrong to assume that this isn't the first time you heard that," I smirked.

He grinned wickedly, showing off his pearly whites. "No, it isn't."

My lips arched into a smile. "Junior High?"

"Yes. I'm Jong In. Kim Jong In." He held out his hand. "And You?"

I reached out, shaking it firmly. "Kang Mirae."

"The Head Girl?" He looked startled.

"Uh yes?"

His mouthed formed an 'O'. "Woah, you . . . well yes I know you but I haven't seen you dressed up before so . . . "

"So it's a shock?" I asked.

"Yes somewhat."

"Do I look that horrible?" I muttered.

"Oh no." He flashed another bewitching smile. "Quite the opposite I believe."

"Well Jong In, I should get going. It was lovely meeting you." I smiled.

"Sure."

I chuckled, "I hope your girl in the white thing hurries up." and left him smiling to find Sehun speaking with a pretty junior where I had left him. I smiled and went over. 

"Hi!"

The girl turned to face me and a dimpled smile jumped to her lips. "Hey... that's your date?"

Sehun nodded, "Yes, I got the scary Head Girl. She said, go out with me or I'll report you!"

"Hey!" I nudged him in the side indignantly. The other two laughed.

"Oh come on, aren't you both friends?" She asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.

She nodded and turned to Sehun, "Well, Sehun-ssi, it was nice meeting you. I'll leave you both to yourselves then." And she walked away with a smile.

I poked him in the abdomen teasingly, "Nice choice, man."

Sehun just grinned. I said, "Come on! Go after her before she disappears in the crowd."

"Huh, right." He ignored me. "You know, if miserable had a face, it would be yours."

I gasped, hitting his head. "Mocking me wouldn't land you with a girl, you know."

"I'm not going anywhere." He refused outright.

"You are," I said determinedly. "And . . . I think we should call it a night. I hate caging you beside me. I don't wanna ruin your prom, seriously I don't---"

"You aren't---"

"Yes, but you've proved your loyalties long enough. Now go and ask her for a dance." I hugged him for a microsecond before pushing him into the wild crowd.

Training my eyes across the hall to look for Chanyeol, I found him finally beside the drinks table, chatting with his football teammates. I sneaked closer to him until the guys left. I strolled over, picking up a filled goblet. I cleared my throat to get his attention. He looked up, my feet faltering at his sudden smile.

"How is it going?" I asked, knowing that the answer was going to decay my mood.

"Awesome!" He answered enthusiastically. I forced down a grimace. "You?"

"Yeah." I nodded tentatively. "Great."

"Did you see Bobby Kim? He threw over his date on the dance floor!" Chanyeol chuckled.

I shook my head, "Guess I missed that."

"It happened in the back hall. Haven't seen you around much, you're really not dancing tonight, are you? Staying away from floor?"

"That's not true. I just got tired."

"Hmm. Where are others?" He sipped his drink, sweat dripping from his forehead.

"I think I saw Junmyun going outside with his date."

Chanyeol nodded, "Hmm... about Baekhyun, I just hope he doesn't wake up with Yumi in his bed tomorrow."

I chuckled, "Don't worry, she would never."

He shrugged. I poured myself a little more drink. Nearing me, Chanyeol leaned in. "Remember your promise?"

"I was just wondering about that." I grinned. He clasped my wrist in his big hand. Oh god, my heart raced with anticipation. Here comes my moment of the night.

But as we've already established the fact that luck was not on my side tonight, Hyori trotted towards us he was leading me to the dance floor and raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow. No, no, no. Please don't interrupt. 

Chanyeol explained to her, "We'll be back, Hyori. Why don't you chat with your friends in the meantime?"

She frowned and nodded. I don't feel bad for her at all, the little witch had Chanyeol all to herself the entire night. I breathed a sigh of relief, clutching his fingers tightly. His hand rested on my shoulder and the other on my waist while I entangled mine around his neck. His eyes, big and bright, gazed into mine.

Oh, how bad I wanted to confess right then and there but I didn't want to mess up the beautiful little bubble we were dancing in and decided to just live this moment. We had only started moving along with the song being played when a familiar shriek echoed in the hall, pricking our bubble . . . and my heart.
It obviously belonged to Ahn Hyori.
Frowning, we stopped abruptly and turned towards the source. Hyori stood a couple of feet from us. Apparently, she had bumped into a butler carrying a tray of filled goblets, causing its components to stain her dress and the floor. I gasped. "."

I glanced at Chanyeol, whose eyes were full of surprise and annoyance, trying to guess what he was going to do."Come on." Chanyeol faced me looking hesitant if he should go over to check her or stay with me.

At the very next moment, Hyori began cursing profusely, her face scrunched in pain, collecting much attention towards herself. Chanyeol's attention. Again.

This time, we discovered that the butler's goblet which had crashed on the floor was dispersed into shards of glass, one of which pierced the skin over one of Hyori's feet. Creases formed between my brows, and I groaned. Seriously not now.

But now, Chanyeol was quick to act. He advanced towards her. Instinctively, I pulled him back. Turning back to me with an urgency in his eyes, he gaped at me in question. 

I gulped, gripping his wrist tightly. I tried forming words but nothing sounded like a reason good enough for him not to leave. 

"Mirae--" He stopped. My head hung low. "What are you doing?"

That's it. There it was. 

The judgmental tone in his words brought me back to reality. God, what was I doing? I looked up into his disappointed eyes and my throat blocked. Disappointed in my behavior. I wasn't the Mirae he knew, was I? The one who stressed so much on stupid things like rules. But--

Can't a girl be selfish for once?

"Mirae, please, let me go."

I lifted my head with lightning speed. His eyes were filled with nothing but an apology. And helplessness. "I have to go and see her. She---she's my date and--"

I released his hand, looked away, and backed a step. He's right. And, no, I can't be selfish.

"Mirae, I'm sorry."

I couldn't bring myself to look at him. My vision was getting blurred by tears but I made an effort to stay tough. He left me standing there in the middle of nowhere and ran to her. I watched him go but the disappointment was too fierce, I could only choke on my sobs.

I left the hall, ignoring the calls of anyone I knocked into. Storming out of the hall, I let the encaged tears roll down my cheeks. On my way, I encountered disgusting couples making out like the world was coming to an end tonight. Now that I think of it, I felt like my world was coming to end.

He really cares so much for her. There were people tending her, her foot would have been as good as new after a bandage, it wasn't bleeding, but why was he so upset about it. I knew Chanyeol was a gentleman but does this behavior mean he actually likes her? It may not be worthwhile for him but, this moment just for the two of us was something I've been waiting for for hours. 

I still tried to keep myself composed because the students were scattered throughout the vast campus. Pushing open the common room door, I stormed up the stairs to my room and stopped just short of Chanyeols's door. To be honest, I had half a mind of opening his door and hurling inside the damned corsage he gave me but I realized it was only going to buy me more trouble. 

I stumbled back to my room. I sank to the floor, sobbing furiously, angry at Chanyeol for ditching me, angry at Hyori for stealing his heart and attention, angry at all the lovey-dovey couples for being happy, angry at everyone's luck, and disappointed in myself for being so self-centered.

I sat there for a long time, the floor chilly against my bare skin, listening to the faint music bursting in the halls. I registered the fact that I was mourning not only because of my 'emotional distress' but the fact that it had completely ruined my first prom was even more devastating.

-

Normally, I would have been extremely thankful that Chanyeol and I had fallen back into our normal friendship without a hint of awkwardness over The Incident. But if things hadn't changed so drastically regarding my feelings, it would be true. But the problem was, I didn't want to be just friends with him anymore. 

The day after prom hadn't been easy for me and I tried to stay away from him as much as I could but it didn't exactly work. But I realized I had to let my moody demeanor down if I wanted him.

After that afternoon in the common room when he called it a 'mistake', I couldn't help despairing that I had let the opportunity to change that pass by. The only golden point was that at least Hyori didn't stick around anymore.
The longer I put it off, the more out of the blue it would seem when (if) I bring it up.
Though I obviously had to vent and Yumi would always be on the receiving end. Nevertheless, my cowardly side continued to win as the week after prom passed. 

One more excuse that I told myself, for prolonging telling him about my feelings, was that he was too busy. I mean it. 26th Nov, the glorious day of his test, fell on Thursday. And he was driving himself crazy for it. Practice practice practice. That's all.

"Excited for tomorrow?" I asked, discovering Chanyeol in a quiet corner of the library on Wednesday. I sneaked up from his back and caressed his neckline.

He shook his head. "No, just nervous."

I smiled. "You'll do great."

"Ughh, I don't know." He held my hand, and pulled, making me sit beside him. 

"I thought winning that football cup would have boosted you," I commented.

Chanyeol shrugged. 

"What is the timing assigned to you?"

"One in the afternoon." He answered.

I arched an eyebrow. "During classes? Are you planning to bunk?"

"No." he paused. "I asked noona for help. She's coming to pick me tomorrow and tell the administration office that it's some urgent piece of work. After the test, she'll drop me back."

I nodded in approval. "Oh . . . I was hoping we could come too."

He frowned. "What for?"

"To cheer, of course," I replied. "Wouldn't you be happy if your friends were there for you?"

He gazed at me for a long moment before breaking into a huge, unbelievable smile. "Who are you and what have you done to Kang Mirae?"

I rolled my eyes, smacking his shoulder. "I'm serious!"

"No, really." He shifted in his seat. "I've been meaning to say this to you for a long time." He paused while my heart raced a marathon in anticipation. "I know you have always hated football, either because you didn't understand it or probably because you hated me--" I winced at his words-- "either way, I really appreciate how you're making an effort to-- to tolerate it, to like it."
He grinned. "Only if it's just because of me."

I smiled widely. "Well, you're welcome."

I could have said something better, something wittier but it's hard to think when your crush looks at you like this and praises you while still holding your hand. Not that I am complaining or anything.

"I should go."

I scowled. "What for?"

He explained. "Training obviously."

"Today?" I frowned. "Are you sure? It's the big day tomorrow, I think you should rest tonight and get a good sleep."

"I know." He sighed. "But my coach says I should come and I can't afford to lose, Mirae. I have to."
I exhaled deeply and gave in.

-

When he left, I started off rounds punctually on my own. I couldn't believe it has been a whole week since the beginning of everything. Really, it had begun before Chanyeol entered the scene that night. When Jinyoung had accompanied me on rounds and we'd fought about prom and his hectic schedule. I haven't seen much of my ex-boyfriend except during lunch or sometimes in class. But there was no avoiding, I think. Not from my side at least. Because there is not any free space in my mind to try something as complicated as dodging him.

I know I owed Jinyoung the right to keep distance if that's what he wanted. But I haven't changed my mind about staying friends. I take it as a good sign that we still murmur a small greeting in passing. Hopefully, things would someday improve.

I spent the remainder of the rounds trying not to think anymore. However, not thinking is an impossible feat. As my limbs took me through the stairs I found myself torn between thinking about Chanyeol, any opportunity when I might get him to confess, and forcing myself not to think for the next hour. Though my efforts were doomed to failure when I realized that the clock had struck 12 and he wasn't back yet. 

Before I could freak out, it so happened that when I was doing a final patrol of the entrance lobby, the very subject of my tortured thoughts appeared at the front door. It wasn't at full sprint, as he had a week ago. In fact, Chanyeol wasn't even upright.
Instead, Baekhyun, Junymun, and Minseok were carrying him, unconscious and bleeding, across the porcelain floor.

--------------------------------

Well, I did warn you. 

​​​​​​Don't forget to give your feedback about this chapter, I worked really hard on it :)