Chapter 11

It's Always You

Note: 

Mirae- Italic

Chanyeol- Underlined Italic

Baekhyun- Bold Italic

---------------------------------------

"You- You're his son."

A ringing silence followed my words, and I suddenly had the urge to take back my words but I resisted it. Junmyun continued to stare at me with the same terrified expression on his face and slowly bobbed his head up and down once.

I opened my mouth but no words came out. Honestly, I had nothing to say. My mind was still too numb with the fact that the person in front of me was the son of a criminal. I was shocked to my limits. His father was the one who had harassed his secretary. Who had smuggled all those illegal drugs? Whose riches had been declared corrupt? I shivered instinctively at the thought and Junmyun flinched as if I had attempted to hit him.

"If you want me to leave-" The bitterness in his voice brought me back to my senses.

This is Junmyun we're talking about. He's still the same person. "No, don't be silly," I said firmly.

This seemed to take him by surprise. I guess he was expecting me to run and go screaming down the corridor. "Just give me a second, okay?" I asked and he nodded obligingly.

I took a deep breath and slowly letting it out, processing the recent disclosure: My-friend-is-the-son-of-a-criminal-thing. Shocked as I maybe, but I had to be there for him right now, he needed it. Instead of feeling scared or insecure, I felt foolish. Foolish for not realizing this earlier. He was one of my first acquaintances here and I had patrolled with him for over a year. Friends don't usually miss such big things about each other. 

He never did say much, always turning the conversation back to me. Then a horrible thought struck me. He must have found me so selfish! I always complained about my life as if I actually had problems and here he was... Well, what's done is done. 

"So, let's go start the rounds?" I asked, hoping that my voice sounded normal. But he, again, gave me a half-shocked look.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" He suddenly exploded and I took a step back. I think he's gone completely mad.

"You're not supposed to take a few seconds to 'think it over' and then go back to normal." He retorted with accusing eyes.

I rolled my eyes sarcastically. "Well, do you rather I run screaming down the hallway and never come near you again? Sorry, that would be a little too diffic-" 

"No." He cut me off quietly. "It's just how most people react."

I instantly felt bad for him. Are people actually so shallow and cruel that they punish him for this? Something that's not even his mistake? Having such a problematic parent was sad enough but if people start outcasting you, it honestly terrible. He must have suffered a lot if he thought that way.

"Is that how your friends reacted?" I voiced my concerns.

"What? No! Those two have been the most supportive guys I have ever met. They've never judged me for it. They help me to get over it. They kept my secret all the time and if anybody somehow found out and threatened me, Baekhyun and Chanyeol would beat the pulp out of them to keep them quiet. Chanyeol even offered me to stay at his place if I didn't feel like living in the same house as him." 

It took me more than a minute to realize that this 'him' must be his own father. I could tell how much Junmyun loathed him. I even admired his friends for looking out for him so much. Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who always looked silly and carefree on the cover could be so thoughtful and caring, was something I hadn't imagined. Plus, I couldn't help but notice when he said that 'Chanyeol would beat those who knew and threatened him?' Was this the reason why he bullied students? Had Sehun known about this and was threatened in return? My head was spinning crazy with so many unanswered questions.

"But I shouldn't be 'most people' to you, buddy. I feel offended if you think I'd do something that brutal to you." I smiled lightly.

"Sorry. But you can't blame me. Most people are upset when they discover things like these." He replied. There was this self-loathing tone in his voice and I felt like hugging him, but that probably wasn't the best option right now. I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and gave it an encouraging squeeze. To my relief, he smiled a bit.

"So back to rounds?" I tried again and he agreed.

"Do me a favor. Try not to mention this to anyone. The fewer people, the better. Andrew told Yumi too and I'm not comfortable with so many people in the secret."

"Of course." I nodded making up my mind to kill her for not telling me as we exited the library. We stayed silent for a moment. I could feel better understanding between us that night. A stronger bond. I touched his arm slightly. "Don't stress yourself over this. I mean, of course, I can't even begin to imagine how you feel but just remember that you are who you are. Not what your father is. Not what people tell you. Just Kim Junmyun. The same guy who is polite and nice and can't even hurt a fly." I sighed.

"I can't forgive myself." He paused. "For being his son. I'm afraid that I might turn like him."

"But don't let that stop you from being a good person. You have to prove yourself. I believe in you and you should do too."

He stared at me for a moment and for the first time that night, his face broke out in a true, boyish smile. He looked genuinely relieved. "You know, I'm glad we're friends. I know that sounds cheesy but-"

"I'm glad we're friends too," I told him, smiling.

-----------

"What kind of friend are you?"

Yumi's head whipped in surprise as I flung myself on the seat next to her. It had taken me half an hour to locate her which increased my irritation.

"So rounds went well, did they?" She asked sarcastically.

"Oh don't sit there and act all innocent!" I hissed knowing I was being a little unreasonable but the feeling of betrayal overwhelmed me. "You knew everything!"

"I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more detailed, dear" She replied bemusedly.

"About Junmyun! That his father is-" I dropped my voice to avoid the nosy onlookers in the common room. "-that guy," I said pointing towards the newspaper on the table.

Her expression sobered up in a second and she sighed. "Yes, I knew."

"But why didn't you tell me? You always tell me everything!"

"This isn't some piece of gossip, Mirae. I wanted to share with you but it wasn't my secret to tell."

Now that I think about it rationally, she was right. Neither was it her secret nor was it ethical for her to spread it. Without hearing me, she continued.

"Junmyun must have forbidden you to tell anybody too, right? That's why I couldn't say anything."

"No, you're right. I'm just too frustrated over not realizing this earlier. Sorry for taking it out on you."

"It's not your fault. He's just too damn good at hiding." She assured me.

"Maybe. But I still feel like a prize idiot."

------------

Finally, I thought in relief, collapsing on my bed in my old room. I was back home for the Christmas holidays, taking the earliest train to Seoul. I looked around my childish decorations and the shelves crowded with gold and silver trophies and shields I had won over the previous years. But I still missed my bed back in school. Don't get me wrong, though. I loved seeing my parents and there's no doubt about it. Christmas is family time and I would have felt guilty if I stayed in school like some other students but home also meant my sister. Who was enough to drive me crazy. Her hateful glances and snide remarks were enough to force me to escape in here. That's why I had decided that I'd spend New Year at school at least. Just like Yumi and the others who weren't going home for even a single day.

I heard a knock. It was Appa.

"How's my princess doing? Was the ride back home comfortable?" He greeted me with a warm embrace.

"Of course it was." I smiled at his concern. "What's for dinner?"

"There's a new place that's opened here, we'll be going out to have pizza. It's your favorite, right?"

"Yeah, but Unnie hates it."

"She wouldn't join us for dinner." He replied quietly.

I wasn't surprised. "Wow. She's already tired of me?"

"No dear. She's your sister. of course she loves you. Maybe she is just in a bad-"

"Stop it. I'm not a child anymore t. I know how things are between the two of us." I cut him off. My parents had always tried to improve relations between us. And they were doing a very bad job at it.

He sighed heavily. I didn't want to worry him so I brushed it off. "It's okay, anyway. I'm happy to be with you guys at least."  

We stepped down the stairs to the kitchen slowly while I told him about the extra classes I was taking when we heard a commotion downstairs. Both of us stopped in our tracks and peeked in from the half-opened kitchen door. There was Eomma and Yumi inside, bickering over something. Typical.

"I want the keys. Right now!" Unnie cried out.

"Didn't I say it already? Don't argue with me now. We're taking Mirae out for dinner tonight. You can't have the car for your late-night wanderings." Eomma replied firmly.

"I told you it's important." She said urgently.

"Nothing could be more important than family. If you can't spend Christmas with her, then at least don't ruin our time with your sister." Eomma said with a cold tone and I could tell she was pissed off at her for not staying with us.

"Oh please, what the ! Why are you so unfair? It's hardly been a day since she's returned and you're already preferring her!" Unnie squealed indignantly.

"You know it's not like that." Eomma lashed. The sound of Unnie's angry breathing, more like growling, could be heard. See? That's why I chose a boarding school. I entered the kitchen silently but she lashed at me, seething in anger.

"You! Can't you stay at your bloody school forever? Why did you have to return? For Christmas? Well, guess what, you've already ruined mine!" Anger was implicit from her words as she glared at me, her fists clenched tightly. I opened my mouth to respond, folding my arms over my chest.

"I'm here for less than a week. Can't you even stand me for this long?"

"No! I can't stand you for even a second. The minute you enter this house, my existence is worthless! These two start worshiping you and I-"

"Minji! Is that how you talk to your younger sister?" 

She turned towards Appa in surprise, just noticing him. Then she turned towards me once again and hissed with a low voice.

"I hate you so much." With fire burning in her eyes, she stormed out of the room furiously with the door hitting with a loud bang after her dramatic exit.

This is exactly why I wanted to stay in my room the whole damn time. If it had been any day in my younger years, I would have burst into tears. Or at least I would have been upset for a whole day. But now, it was a routine to hear such sweet confessions.

"Don't worry about her, dear." Eomma persuaded me.

Dinner that night was pretty boring. Except for the food, of course, I loved it. Our conversations revolved around my studies, future planning, Yumi, and how much they wished to meet my boyfriend. As if I had one. Once I was back in my room, getting ready for bed, my phone beeped. It was an unknown number.

I hope home wasn't as miserable as you were dreading. So far, you've missed three amazing games of Jenga, five epic snowball fights, the hilarious moment of Yoori falling off her in the snow. Plus, the fabulous food they serve for the holidays. Okay, that doesn't sound too incredible, but trust me you should be very jealous. Oh and before you wonder, It's Chanyeol. Don't even bother asking where I got your number from. I won't tell you.

Wow. Seriously, where did he get my number from? But I don't mind because he might cheer me up. Smiling, I saved his number and replied immediately.

Well, I'm glad to tell you: Home is MORE miserable than I dreaded. I mean my parents are fine. But my dear sister isn't. Anyways, I feel so disappointed in missing the funny sight of her falling. By the way, are you still dating her to be talking like that? How's Jinyoung doing?

My phone beeped again in less than a minute. And I knew I might be staying awake the rest of the night, the mere thought was kind of exciting.

Your Soon-To-Be-Boyfriend dear is perfectly fine. Though he also left for Christmas. 
I feel bad for you about your sister. But then again, I might be thankful for her because she might make you return earlier. 
And yes, I am still dating Yoori. Why? Do you want to know when I'll be single? ;)

I rolled my eyes. Here comes the old Chanyeol.

Huh, don't flatter yourself, mister, that isn't happening anytime soon. Plus, don't keep your hopes up. I'm not returning before Christmas. 

Fine then, don't come back. It's your loss. 
I almost forgot the real reason I texted you. It's Junmyun. 

What about him? Is he okay?

Oh, he is very much okay. But you wouldn't be if you even give someone as much as a hint to someone about his secret. 
I swear Mirae, no kidding, I'll chop your head off and feed it to my dog if you let out even a single word about it. Understood?

Woah!? Isn't that too harsh? Feeding me to dogs. Plus I didn't know you had dogs. 
Anyways I've got it. I'm not dying so soon and so painfully.

Now that's a good girl. Yeah, I've got a dog. I call him Toben. But this isn't the best time to tell you about my life though. 
Besides, I must say. Did you figure out Junmyun's little secret just now? Like where did that brilliant brain go? Weren't you supposed to be intelligent or something? I always thought you knew about his father and kept quiet. I was hysterical when he told me last night that you had just found out! 
No offense meant  ;)

You know what? 
I hate you. I'm sure it would have taken you a whole lifetime to figure it out if Junmyun hadn't told you himself. 

-----------

The next day, I got up early, excited to get the Christmas tree and then decorate it with tinsels and incandescent lights. I at arts but still, I managed a better-looking tree than last year's. Unnie was nowhere to be seen but I guessed she must have locked herself in her room. Eomma was getting concerned about her when she suddenly appeared to announce that her boyfriend was coming over for dinner on Christmas. My parents were excited to meet him and so was I. Appa had told me that she was pretty serious with the guy and the anticipation rose inside me to see the guy.

By the time it was Christmas Eve, I received another message from an unknown number. I was hoping it would be Jinyoung but it turned out to be someone I hadn't expected at all.

Mirae! Chanyeol told me that you know about Junmyun's dad. You haven't told anybody right!? Not even your Sneaky Sehun? I hope that's not the case because if you have, then be prepared. I'm going to poison your drink when you're sleeping. 
And I'm bloody serious.

I almost groaned out loud. I've received enough death threats for a lifetime. Why doesn't anybody trust me? I mean, I'm his friend. Why would I even do something like that? Give me some credit, man. 

Would you mind mentioning who you are?

Ugghh!! I'm Baekhyun and, you miss, is a real pain in the . Just tell me already!?

Tell you what?

If you've told your bestie yet!

I haven't and I have no plans. You can sleep in rest.
And let me do the same -_-

Ahh. Okay. . . Great. I love you.

Very funny :/ Why do you people not even have an ounce of trust in me?

Because those days are still fresh in our minds when you used to turn us in if the teachers asked who bunked the class or pranked them. Got it or more explanation is required?

I'm not even going to reply to his one.

But you just did.  ;)

Unnie decided to grace us with her presence at lunch that day maybe because it was, after all special, being Christmas and all. Everyone was quiet. Eomma tried to make a few light conversations but it was all in vain. I went up to my bed earlier so I could get up tomorrow. I was totally drained up but still excited for tomorrow like a seven-year-old. The moment I got up, I found out that my phone was flooding with Christmas wishes from Yumi and my old friends and cousins. The whole day almost passed by in a flash. We did our greetings and opened the gifts. Afterward, a few of our family friends came over. Unnie was exceptionally happy and polite and I suspect the arrival of her boyfriend to be the reason. All the same, it was a day spent very well. It was the time I didn't know I was actually missing and worth coming home for. When the doorbell rang, we all knew what was coming. 

Unnie sprang out of her seat happily and welcomed him in. I must say, he was a good-looking lad with a tall figure. As he came in, he introduced himself as Daehyun. I had only stepped forward to meet him before Unnie dragged him to the dinner table. 

Fine, two can play the game.

I was determined not to lay off and kept on chatting with the Daehyun. Dinner was fun. He was handsome and really funny. We were having loads of fun, laughing at the jokes he cracked and the stories he told. I finally had a sober conversation with him after dessert too because he was studying Law and that was the same field I wanted to enter too. The guy was really helpful, offering me to lend his books to prepare for the college entrance exam, while Minji unnie just sat there fuming and tried to glare me off.

Later on, when Daehyun left and we cozied ourselves in the living room, munching on dry fruits, my phone beeped again. I glanced at it to find Chanyeol's name on the screen.

You know, I'm still in ultimate shock over the fact that you chose to reply to my messages.

And why may that be so unbelievable?

If it had been last year or even a few months back, you wouldn't have even bothered to open the chat and look at you now. You've made so much progress. Why have you kept answering, by the way?

I couldn't really answer his question, to be honest. It wasn't like I missed him that made me correspond. I should have felt blessed to have a few Chanyeol-free days. But...these past few months were a major milestone for both of us, more like 'progress' as he named it. Sometimes, I'm still unsure if I'm friends with him, it always seemed such an impossible occurrence that made it hard to believe. But putting together all the recent events, I feel like I am. Our personalities clash so much that I'm still surprised how we haven't fought yet. That how one taunt or just one argument could blow us back to the old days. Anyways, I took a sarcastic approach to keep the conversation lighter.

Don't flatter yourself. I'm just bored. Why'd you kept conversing with me if you have a whole bunch of friends back there?

Great, your sarcasm is back. I was starting to miss it. Well, you should know that I was 'just bored' too. Of course, I've got loads of people to talk to but then who would entertain someone as boring as you?

Excuse me?

Sorry, did I say something wrong? I mean you study on Friday nights and free weekends, you've never bunked and never been to our match. which is enough to give you the label.

Ouch, that hurt.

Well, you know how to stop yourself from being called 'boring', don't you?

And how is that?

Come to our match. It's on the 18th of January against Yongsan International School.

Fine. I guess one game couldn't hurt.

"Why are you smiling like a fool?" Eomma asked me suddenly, breaking my train of thoughts and I jumped in my seat.

"Huh? Just talking with a friend."

"Yumi? Tell her I say Merry Christmas."

"Not it's not her," I answered slowly. She raised her eyebrows and I continued. "I don't think you know him. It's a classmate. Park Chanyeol."

"What?" She stared at me with an incredulous face. "Do you think I don't know him? I haven't forgotten all the times you used to call me and tell me how you hated this one boy who loves to pull pranks on you. Isn't it him? Well...well I didn't know things were better now. Something going on?" She winked. Her whole speech was too full of anticipation and excitement and I shook my head giving her the don't-even-think-about-it eyes before turning back to my phone.

Yayy! I finally persuaded you into it. Junmyun owes me a drink now. He was so confident that you'll refuse.

Damn. I just inflated your extra-large pride. Oh and Merry Christmas. Hope you got everything you wanted.

I already have everything but thanks. Merry Christmas to you too. According to my sources, you'll be returning on the day after tomorrow. 
Thanks for continuing this little chat 
even if it was just out of boredom.

Sources? Yumi? No problem. 
I love doing little favors like this.

No. I'm talking about Jinyoung. He called over to the administration office to ask when you'll be coming back. How could I not realize that it was just a favor? Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to  ;)

Jinyoung? Oh wow. Well, thanks.

------------------

That's it. 

What do you feel about the chemistry between our main leads? Any appreciative, critical or suggestive comments are welcome. Please don't hesitate to share your views. Thanks for reading! Love y'all.