Chapter 30

It's Always You

I know it's been painfully long since I updated but it's going to be like this because my online classes have started and we all know what that means.
But here is a long chapter to quench your thirst!

-------------------------

I was across the hall when I'd made a conscious decision to move my feet, my eyes drawn to Chanyeol's pale face, his bruised lip, and the dark, red stain on the left corner of his shirt. . . Forcing myself to look away when I neared him, I glanced frantically between his friends who barely acknowledged my existence. "What happened? Did someone---is he--?"

"Take him to the Chemistry classroom, on the left, NOW!" Baekhyun barked instructions to the other two, his face contorted in alarm.

I hurried to catch up with them. Did somebody hit him? Did he get involved in a fight? Or worse, did he get injured during his training? My mind exploded with questions that I suppressed. The thudding in my heart escalated. Baekhyun tried shouldered through the door of the nearest classrooms. "Open the door, Mirae!" Junmyun roared.

I quickly turned the knob of the room where he, Baekhyun, and Minseok Oppa lowered Chanyeol to the floor. As they did so, a painful gasp emitted from Chanyeol's mouth but his eyes remained closed.

Relief flooded through my veins at the revelation that he was at least partially conscious (and alive!) But my panic returned in full measure when Junmyun's shaky fingers pulled open his cardigan to reveal the dark red stain beneath. They cut through his shirt and I bit back a loud gasp. I winced when a wave of nausea hit me at the sight of a small yet bloodied gash on his left abdomen. My heartbeat accelerated at the sight, my eyes started watering.

His friends hardly flinched at the gruesome sight and began planning immediately. My breathing quickened, I asked again in a quivery voice, "What happened?" 

"You people stay here---I'll be right back," Baekhyun spoke in a business-like tone, ignoring me again. 

"Where are you--" I asked urgently.

He didn't hear my question as he rushed out of the classroom. I turned to the others looking expectantly. "Will anyone tell me what's going on? Shouldn't we take him to the hospital? And where did he run off to?" I fired.

Junmyun, who was cleaning off the blood around Chanyeol's wound with an antiseptic tissue, thumped on the ground with a sigh. "Accident."

Minseok explained, "He was returning from practice and he stopped by for a drink at my place. We chatted for a minute and he left. I was just locking up the cafe too when I heard a loud crash behind me. And there was Chanyeol on the ground bleeding and. . . unconscious. . . .  right in front of me." He paused, tightly shutting his eyes for a minute. "A car hit him because I spotted one zooming past me and well . . . . all I could do was call his friends."

"We've checked and I don't think there are any major injuries," Junmyun assured. 

Depends on what you call a major injury. I glanced at Chanyeol's wound, raising a brow. 

"I was right there with him and I couldn't do anything to save him." Minseok Oppa whispered, his lips curled into a guilty frown. Junmyun smiled, shaking his head, "No, hyung. Chanyeol is lucky that you were there to help him."

"Why isn't he waking up?" I asked Minseok Oppa anxiously. "Did he hit his head?"

He shook his head. "No, I think it's just a mild concussion."

Gazing at the lifeless body lying before me, I reached forward and took off his askew glasses. Chanyeol's breathing was shallow.

"And Baekhyun?" I asked after a while.

"Hospital Wing," Junmyun answered. "For medicines, dressings, and stuff."

"Can't you just---I mean why do you guys have to steal it? There's always a nurse there." I remember Chanyeol once telling me that bit.

"We can't take him to the hospital wing. If the administration finds out, they would raise awkward questions about his whereabouts tonight." Baekhyun answered from behind me. I turned to see him pulling various bottles and a box tucked under an arm.

"But you can't hide him forever!" I reasoned. "Isn't anybody going to notice when he doesn't show up at classes tomorrow?"

Baekhyun face-palmed. "Mirae, please do you think I can plan it that far in this situation."

"We just need to get him through the night for now," Junmyun explained.

"Get him through the ni--what?!" My eyes widened "You said it wasn't a major--"

"I'm with Mirae on this one." The eldest who had been listening for a while, mumbled. "I think a hospital is where we should take him."

"Why, thank you Minseok, for being the only guy here with a brain!" I exclaimed.

"But... it's your school. You guys know better." He meekly completed making Baekhyun and Junmyun nod. 

"Exactly, thanks hyung," Baekhyun muttered, as he knelt down to his friend. I rolled my eyes, "Okay great." Chanyeol isn't just their friend, he means something to me too. I am worried about him!

But I decided to go with it when Baekhyun lifted his shirt from the side. I began to unroll the bandage pack for him. They cleaned his wound, which to my relief looked less deep now, before dabbing it with a thick yellow anti-septic ointment. As the bandage touched his skin, Chanyeol suddenly woke up with a gasp. Junmyun dropped to his knees and grabbed his friend's arm as Chanyeol started to flail, his eyes wide and terrified. Breathing in short gasps, he asked, "What . . . . happened?"

Minseok looked away but Baekhyun answered, "We're not sure---neither of us really saw anything, bro."

"I remember . . . a car--" Chanyeol moaned. "And it was--" But he broke off again, eyes squeezed, lips pressed together as though holding in a cry of pain. He tried standing up with his friend's support. But collapsed onto the ground as soon as he attempted, pressing the already blood-soaked end of his shirt.

"Chanyeol, look at me--look at me!" I said frantically.

His eyes snapped open and Baekhyun continued, "We've got you---you're all right, mate." His voice shaking but Chanyeol looked relaxed anyhow.

Chanyeol's face scrunched in pain again, he was digging fingers of his other hand into the floor, and without thinking, I reached out and grabbed his hand. I regretted instantly, biting my lip as Chanyeol's fingers closed in a death grip against mine. But I didn't have to endure it long---his eyes rolled back a moment later as he fainted again, and his hand dropped from mine.

I looked worriedly at his friends. "Help me bandage him," Baekhyun ordered, not letting any sign of anxiety on his face but I could tell he was also scared. As he wrapped Chanyeol's navel with a clean bandage, I couldn't help thinking how wrong this was. In such a condition, the first thing we needed to do was take him to the hospital wing at least. Medicating him ourselves was a crazy idea---

"Mirae, trust us. It's just First Aid." Detecting my troubled frown, Junmyun muttered, "We know what we're doing."

"But you don't!" I insisted. "It's not just a scratch, you don't know if it's serious, if there's an infection growing or if his wound is--"

Baekhyun cut me. "Look, I had a worse injury these summers but they tended me by themselves and I made it out alive, alright?"

"But . . . "

"All we need to do is make it last a little longer. In the morning, you can go and admit him yourself if you want."

I sighed, giving in. "Okay."

Baekhyun brushed off his hands. "Great, listen I've got to drop hyung back to his hostel, he was kind enough to help us till now but it's getting late." Baekhyun smiled at Minseok. "Because if anyone catches sight of him here---"

"--it would also raise awkward questions?" I suggested.

Baekhyun smiled grimly. "Exactly. I'll leave Chanyeol here. If he wakes before I get back and it's likely that he will, get him back to his room. Junmyun knows which medicines to give him. Right now, Junmyun, you can use this time to return these." He told his friend pointing at the leftover bandage and the first aid kit. Junmyun got on his feet to leave. "And Mirae." Baekhyun paused. "go back to bed."

"No, I'll get Chanyeol upstairs."

"Nah, Mirae you don't have to---"

"It's okay, not like I'll sleep tonight anyway."

We exchanged a brief smile, then he said. "Alright let's go. And Mirae, please don't get caught."

"Just because I'm not a crazy prankster doesn't mean I don't know the art of secrecy." I chuckled.

Letting out a long sigh, I returned watching Chanyeol as we were left alone in the room. Despite knowing that he would--eventually--recover from this, I couldn't help the anxiety that continued to churn my stomach. There's no way he's going to make it there tomorrow.

I absently reached out to brush Chanyeol's dark hair from his eyes. He looked so manlier than usual, with all that blood and bruises. It's strange how I'd seen him so full of energy just a few hours ago now he lays here lifelessly. Then, not knowing what else to do, I took his hand again, tracing small circles on its back with my thumb. After a bit, Chanyeol let out a deep moan, his eyes fluttering open. Spotting me on the ground next to him, he grinned weakly, "You sure are a sight for sore eyes, Flower."

"I'm not in the mood for flirting, sir," I said sternly, wishing he knew that it wasn't really true.

"Right, sorry." He nodded, pushing himself in a sitting position, wincing as he did so. "Not really the best timing."

"How--how are you feeling, then?"

"Why, worried about me?"

I hit the shoulder on his uninjured side gently. "Of course I am, you stupid prat!" I offered him my hand. "Though if you can make jokes, you can't be too near death, hmm?"

"Never underestimate my joking abilities, Flower," Chanyeol half-smiled, taking my hand. He grimaced as he straightened, grabbing my shoulder immediately for support. "Sorry." He muttered.

"Don't apologize, do you think you can walk?" I asked. "Because we should probably get you to bed."

"Is that an invitation?"

I tilted my head up to glare at him. "Just because you're injured doesn't mean I'm letting you get away with that."

"Okay okay, I'll---"

"Oh, you're up!" Junmyun had returned from the hospital wing. He ran forward and pulled Chanyeol's other arm to his shoulder so that his weight was more evenly spread between the two of us. "How are you feeling? Are you okay?"

"Perfecto."

We started to make our way back to the dorms as Junmyun filled him in with everything he missed. I noticed that there was something wrong with his right foot since he limped all the way. His breath was coming in short gasps and his expression was contorted in a permanent grimace. After a few minutes, he let a loud cry. We stopped immediately. 

"My--my foot." Chanyeol breathed heavily. "There's-- something . . . weird."

I glanced down. "It seems okay . . . "

He sighed. "You know, Flower . . . it's ruined so bad they'll have to cut my leg." He said matter-of-factly.

We laughed. "No, they're not!" Junmyun exclaimed.

"Of course they are. Oh, it's too damaged. Beyond repair." He continued whining with the comically serious expression. "I'm going to be handicapped my whole life!"

"You're exaggerating."

He shook his head sadly, mourning. "Oh, how would I look? One-legged Chanyeol?"

I rolled my eyes. "Okay then, do you want to go to the hospital wing?"

"No!" Chanyeol answered immediately.

"Then stop wailing," Junmyun rubbed his eyes wearily.

"We're almost there." I kept up a stream of encouragement.

Chanyeol stopped at the base of the stairs. "No way," he panted. "I can't  . . . "

"Yes, you bloody well can, Park Chanyeol!" I said through gritted teeth--he was leaning most of his weight on my body and, God, that boy was heavy! "You've climbed so many flights of stairs, so you can sure as hell make it up a few more!"

Chanyeol met my determined glare. "Alright." His voice was stronger. "No need to be so touchy, I'm the one who's hurt after, all."

"Just get up the damn stairs, mate." Junmyun rolled his eyes.

We finally reached his room and as soon as we were close enough, he disentangled his arm from our shoulders and collapsed on the bed. For a few minutes, the only sound that could be heard was our heavy breathing. Junmyun began sorting through the few bottles Baekhyun had nicked. I hope he bloody knows what he's doing.

"Is it a sedative?" I whispered nervously.

"A what?" Junmyun frowned.

"You know, a sleep-inducing dose."

Junmyun nodded. I added quietly, "Are you sure if --"

"Yes, Mirae. I am," Junmyun replied firmly. "It's a pain killer."

He chose one green-tinted bottle and advanced at Chanyeol whose eyes were still closed, he was panting after the arduous hike to his room. "You're taking this," He informed him, holding out the bottle.

Squinting at the label, Chanyeol let out a sigh. "I hate that stuff--makes me all groggy when I wake up---"

"Chanyeol," I said warningly.

"I'm going to take it." He cut in hurriedly, taking the bottle.

Junmyun grinned at me. He took off Chanyeol's shirt to check up on the bandages. There were no red stains on it, I realized with a wave of relief hitting me. Junmyun pulled out an ice pack and I offered to apply it on his foot muscle. He said it would reduce the swelling.

Junmyun's phone buzzed and he picked up. "Hey, what's up? ... Yeah, he woke up, brought him to his room ... what? oh no, that's bad ... why don't you try-- oh, okay okay, I'm coming. Hold your , I'm coming..."

He hung up and said, "That was Baekhyun. Says there is some blockage at the entry gate. My guess is that somebody finally set an electric lock. I'll have to go rescue him from the back way or he's going to sleep the entire night on the 'cold, hard, freezing road' as he says." He sighed exhaustively.

I shook my head. "I guess it's going to be a long night for all of us."

He nodded. As he turned to leave, I spoke in a hushed tone, "Tell Baekhyun he doesn't need to come all the way up here. Neither do you. Go to bed, both of you. My room is just by the corner so I'll check here if he needs something." I pointed at Chanyeol.

"But you don't know anything--"

"He's going to sleep anyway." I shrugged. "If anything goes wrong, I'll call you, okay?"

A wide, relieved smile adorned Junmyun's lips. "Thanks, Mirae. I knew we were friends with you for a reason." He looked at me fondly.

I grinned and closed the door. Chanyeol cracked open an eyelid when I neared him, though he was blinking heavily at me. "Did he leave?"

"Yes."

I was arranging the contents of his study table when his expression became serious. "Mirae." He started.

"Yes?"

"I know I said--but I didn't--" Chanyeol tried fighting the sleep that was threatening to overwhelm him.

"You can tell me later," I assured him, but he just shook his head.

"No, you don't---you're very--" But whatever I was, I couldn't find out, because Chanyeol succumbed to the dosage's effect, sinking back into the pillows, his breathing becoming slow and deep at last.

Suddenly highly aware of my own exhaustion, I wanted nothing more than to fall into a bed myself. For a brief moment, I entertained myself with the absurd idea of simply curling up next to Chanyeol. I mean, he was in a medically-induced sleep, so he'd never know, right? But my practical side soon regained control on my impulses. I shook my self mentally.

Making sure that everything was in its rightful place, I slumped on the chair beside him. When I realized that I was still in my uniform, I decided to take a short trip to bedroom. I whispered, 'be right back' to Chanyeol---which was ridiculous because he couldn't hear me. I hurried to my room and quickly got rid of my clothes and jumped into a pair of pj's and a woolen jumper. 

I ran back to his room, smiling slightly as I entered. In the small amount of time I'd been gone, he'd somehow managed to sprawl across the entire mattress, right leg hanging off the side of the bed and left hand over his head. A slight frown creased his brow and I automatically reached down to smooth it out. His skin felt hot and I wondered if I should be worried about a fever. My eyes traveled to his foot which looked . . . swollen.

Finally deciding that if Chanyeol were awake, he'd tell me that I worry too much for my own good. I could have completed my homework and but is it any engaging than staring at this gorgeous guy snoring before me? I think not.

Absent-mindedly, I pulled open his desk drawer and rummaged inside for a good book because goggling at his heavenly body was too much to withstand the whole night. And I would have gladly done it all night but stopped for the sake of my sanity.

I was disappointed to see there wasn't much there except a few marbles, pencil shavings, a miniature football toy, guitar nodes, a couple of photocards, a photo frame, parchments of paper that I suppose contained lyrics, a Coldplay poster, and . . . . a very familiar handkerchief.

I narrowed my eyes, picking it up and unfolding it. Isn't this mine if I'm not wrong? The delicate embroidery on the edges was exactly how my aunt used to. I remember it particularly because she tried to teach me how to do it but it just wasn't my thing. I brought it to my nose for a sniff and it immediately confirmed my doubt. My heart fluttered. For a minute, my eyes couldn't believe the sight in front of me! This is a good sign, right? Gosh, Chanyeol keeps my handkerchief!! 

But the question was how on Earth did he come across it? I racked my brains for any possibility when I might have lent it to him. Reaching no outcome because this brain has totally retired by now, I put it back in its place, utterly confused. 

I pulled his desk chair out and collapsed into it. I'm not going to sleep at all tonight, I thought ruefully.

-

An intermediate amount of time later, I woke up in bed. My first sensation was that of fingers moving lightly down my arm. Figuring this must have been what woke me up, I made a noise of protest and snuggled deeper in the pillow. Except that it wasn't a pillow, I realized a few moments later. And my hand wasn't resting against my blankets . . . . but on a very bare, and a very male chest.

My eyes flew open, and I sat up so quickly out of his arms, I nearly toppled off the bed.

"Careful, Flower," Chanyeol muttered and I looked down to see he still had his eyes closed though he was smiling. "I've been fatally wounded, remember."

Holy .

"How d-did I---" I started frantically, heat rushing to my face. "I mean. what am I--when--" I pushed myself off the bed, stumbling slightly as I straightened up. Chanyeol cracked an eyelid at me. "Sorry," I added quickly.

Both eyes open now, Chanyeol slowly pushed himself into a sitting position, grinned crookedly. "Don't apologize, Flower."

I stopped abruptly. "Hang on," I said, frowning. "I started off the other side of you, so that meant I had to get up, walk all the way around the bed, and---for heaven's sake, how could I possibly have done that without even remembering it?"

Chanyeol looked highly amused now. But why I'd climbed into bed with him into first place . . . . I blushed red. Gosh, what was I even thinking??

I settled myself firmly in the chair where I bloody should have stayed all night.

"Sorry," I mumbled, not knowing what to say.

"Really, Mirae, you don't need to apologize." 

"Well, I don't understand how I--I mean, who knows what else I have done all the year without knowing it!" 

"You must have been really sleepy." Chanyeol laughed. "This is the first time I've woken up with you in my bed if that makes you feel any better."

"Oh, yeah, loads." I groaned. "What time is it anyway?"

Chanyeol craned his neck to look at the clock beside his bed. "Three thirty-four."

I wrinkled my nose. How long did I sleep with him?  "I should get back to my room. How are you feeling?"

"Much better. You could just stay here, you know. I always thought I needed some beautiful company in bed when I'm sick." Chanyeol suggested, grinning.

I chuckled at him. "You should know I'm refraining from hitting you right now because of that." I pointed at his injury. "But my self-control is rapidly slipping away."

God, I want to pull my hair out; this is damn embarrassing and thrilling at the same time. I can't decide what I should be feeling. 

He quirked an eyebrow. "Consider me warned."

Shaking my head, I smiled. "Alright, well I should leave. Who knows what sort of bloke might have wandered into my bed by now." I stood up.

"You know, I'll be the best you'll ever have, Mirae." He smirked.

My eyes widened, stopping me dead in my tracks. But I recovered quickly. "Good night, Chanyeol."

"See you in a few hours." He replied from behind me.

I turned around again, frowning. "Why?"

"For breakfast," Chnayeol said, smiling slightly. When I simply stared at him, he continued, "You know, happens first thing in the morning. You usually have buttered toast, maybe a sausage or two . . . . "

"You know my breakfast?"

He sighed. "I've had it with you for--" 

"But why would you even bother going?" I interrupted. "Wait, you're not going to class, are you?"

Now he was frowning as well. "Well, why wouldn't I?"

"Oh, I don't know," I said, my tone dipped in sarcasm. "Maybe because you almost got killed last night?"

He deepened his glare. "I was not almost---"

"Well whatever, you're not exactly in a fit state to be waltzing around the school!" I threw my arms in the air.

"Then, how else do you suppose they would let me leave for tryouts if I don't act normal?" He demanded.

That brought me up short. "What are you--what?"

"If I don't show up for class, what is the whole admin going to think? I'm not weak!"

I made a strangled noise, wanting to march up to the bed and shake him. "But have you even looked at your foot?" I pointed at it and was even shocked to notice its swelling. It was thoroughly pale now, almost gray, and to top it off, it was twice the size.

Chanyeol crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm okay and nothing is going to stop me from my try-outs."

We stared at each other for several long seconds, until I finally gave up with a long defeated sigh. "You're impossible, do you know that? And an idiot."

Chanyeol grinned. "Like I said, I'll see you in a few hours, Mirae."

"Fine." I scowled, his amused chuckle followed me outside his room. Shaking my head again, I trudged down the hallway. I was soon brought up short by someone coming from the other direction.

"What are you doing up at this hour?" Jinyoung asked, his voice echoing.

Honestly, of all the people I could have run into right now . . . .  "Er--this isn't what it looks like--"I started.

"Really? So you're telling me you haven't  moved on that quickly?" He sounded a little hurt.

I winced at the blunt accusation. Because in all reality, I had moved on that quickly-- Chanyeol had been the reason we broke up after all. But the fact that we weren't a thing beyond my cowardly desires. . . .well, it certainly didn't look like that now, did it?

"We just---just got caught up doing homework." I invented.

"Until four in the morning?" Jinyoung asked skeptically.

"Well, I fell asleep," I said, which was true.

"What, in Chanyeol's bed?"

Unfortunately, that part was also true, and I knew the instant flush in my cheek gave it away.

He snorted. "Look, I know I don't have a claim on you or anything, but that doesn't mean I would have chosen to find out like this. I'd have preferred to waiting to hear the rumors first, at least."

My eyebrows knitted, as I fiddled with my hair in the dark. "Rumors?"

He rolled his eyes. "I'm not a child, Mirae."

Gasping quietly, my hand automatically reached to my messy, unkempt hair, my gaze traveling to my ruffled clothes. . Does he think I've---I've been . . . sleeping with Chanyeol or something? Please, I would never even think of that.
.
.
.
Alright, maybe I would think of that but that's not the point here.

Jinyoung began to move past me, but I grabbed his arm. "Jinyoung, nothing . . . like that happened seriously."

"And you never lie, right?" He said wryly.

With no way to respond to that, I dropped his arm, starting slowly down my room until I heard him shut himself back in his dormitory. Belatedly, I wondered, what he'd been doing up at four, but it didn't really matter, since I'd made a royal mess out of everything anyway.

So much for being friends.

-

The next morning, I woke up with a jolt. With my breathing rate still at an enormous speed, I sat up trying to make sense of my completely irrational dream (where I tell Chanyeol about my feelings and he apologizes saying that he is gay and has a crush on one of his football mates). After a few distorted moments, I assure myself that it can't be true at all. 

When it finally hit me that Chanyeol had such a nasty accident last night, I jumped out of bed and rushed to his room. It was empty. 

I thought it would be better to leave for breakfast before taking a trip to the hospital wing where I guess he was. I ran into Yumi who had been filled in the details by Baekhyun and Junmyun. However, Yumi's interest was quickly piqued when I told her about the rest of my night.

"In his bed ?" she burst out when I reached that particular detail.

"Don't be so loud! I don't want the whole building hearing, thanks."

She laughed. "But it's ---Oh, Mirae, how tish of you, I'm proud."

I raised an eyebrow into her grinning face. "Of course. I'm the only one who is isn't amused by the whole situation. Oh, but you haven't heard the best part yet."

"How could it get any better? Did you finally sleep with him?"

I elbowed her. "what, I wouldn't--no! I'll have you know that I left almost immediately for my own bed. Except, that I ran on Jinyoung on my way."

Yumi's grin slipped a bit. "Oh. And?"

"And what? Think about how it looked?"

My friend winced. "Not good?"

"No, not good at all." I sighed spooning my breakfast.

I was hardly done with my scrambled eggs when I was joined by a tired and grumpy-looking Junmyun. As he slumped down across me, I greeted him with a wide smile. "Morning."

He glared at me. "How are you so awake?" He muttered.

"Oh, I'm not, really--I'm just better at faking it than you apparently are."

He chuckled. I had hardly 4 hours of sleep but I still managed to be more chirpy than ever. Baekhyun appeared behind him, looking slightly tense. "Guys, I need you." He announced.

"Aww Baek, I thought you'd never admit that," Junmyun said, turning to his friend with a grin.

I knew something was up when Baekhyun ignored the joke. "Chanyeol's being an idiot about everything. I've tried to talk to him but he's--"

"Right." Junmyun stood up, no longer looking amused. "Why he insists on being so difficult all the time, I'll never know." Turning back to me, he said. "Well, I've got to go--"

"Actually it might not be a bad idea for you to come as well, Mirae." Baekhyun acknowledged me for the first time.

I was up on my feet in a second. "Definitely."

"You're good at all that . . . . logic and . . . . . rationalizing, er . . . stuff."

"You mean thinking?" I offered dryly.

Baekhyun grinned. "That's the one."

As the three of us made our way to the hospital wing, I asked them to fill me in. Apparently, his friends had checked up on him early morning and finally decided that a trip to the hospital wing couldn't be avoided. "Do you---" I paused, unsure how to phrase my words. "Do you think he has any chance of making it to those tryouts . . . " I trailed off again.

Junmyun shook his head sadly. "No, not with those injuries."

"That's the problem. Not only is he insisting that he'll attend the classes, the dolt still thinks he can make it there and get picked as a player for the national team among all those healthy and fit candidates." He rolled his eyes.

I sighed. This was going to break him. 

Pushing past the glass door, Baekhyun whispered, "Don't make him feel weak or something. Just act normal." We made our way towards the bed Chanyeol was lying on. He looked gorgeous with his hair tousled but there were dark circles beneath his eyes. Different sorts of medical equipment and bottles occupied his side table.

Chanyeol lifted his head when the clicking sound of our shoes reached his ears. 

"Morning, drama queen," I smirked.

"What happened to 'almost getting killed last night'?"

"Well, you were quick to argue against that one, so---"

"So, I must be perfectly right, is that it?" He demanded.

I winced slightly at that. "No, of course not- I'm sorry. How are you now?"

"Eh, I've been worse." He scowled. "Plus, my bed felt really cold after you left and I just couldn't seem to get comfortable---"

"Knew I apologized too soon," I muttered, though my ears turned red at last night's mention. Baekhyun coughed uncomfortably.

I raced my mind to change the topic immediately. I wasn't prepared to bring up the dreaded conversation regarding his try-outs again . . . and I think neither of us was ready.

"Oh, I meant to ask you," Chanyeol continued a minute later. "Any ideas for why Jinyoung looked ready to strangle me when I ran into him in the morning?"

"Really?" My tone was higher than usual. "No idea why he would--"

"Mirae." I glanced up at him and he was smirking at me. "Yes, you do."

"I hate that you can read me so well," I grumbled. I began, "Er so, last night, Jinyoung might have, you know, been coming up the stairs as I was leaving your room."

"What the hell was he doing up at four in the morning?" 

"Not really the important detail here, Chanyeol," I said exasperatedly.

"Yeah, right, sorry." He nodded. "So . . . wait, he didn't think . . . . . " Chanyeol trailed off suspiciously, his ears were turning red too.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course that's what he thought, you dolt! What was he supposed to think?"

"But we didn't . . . . you told him that nothing happened, right?"

"Yes, I did but then he said that he would--" I stopped abruptly because Chanyeol and his friends were grinning now. "Y'all are incredibly amused by this, aren't you?"

"Possibly."

"You are a terrible friend."

Chanyeol made an effort to sit straighter, as he swung his legs forward, a grimace passed over his lips and a hiss of pain escaped his mouth. "You're hiding it, aren't you?" Junmyun accused.

"Hiding what?"

"Your pain." I rolled my eyes. "and don't think you can get away with that because I saw wince just now."

He just smiled amusedly. Baekyun's glare deepened, "I'm serious, Chnayeol---how much does it hurt? And don't you dare lie because of--of pride or something stupid like that."

Chanyeol's smile dropped off his face as he let out a long sigh. "It hurts like hell," He blurted.

Feeling even worse for teasing him earlier, I continued insistently, "You shouldn't go to class-- no, don't argue! honestly what happened to skipping class once a month because it was healthy?"

"Exactly, no one would even bat an eye if you weren't there!" Junmyun added.

"I think I'd like to be missed a little," He replied, adopting an injured air.

"Chanyeol," I said warningly, edging closer to his bed. "I swear to God, I'm this close to dragging you back to your room, give you a heavy sedative again, and tie you to your bed so you'll--"

"Only if you tie yourself up with me, Flower," Chanyeol winked at me.

I gasped at his words as they finally settled down, "Stop it," I ordered. "Just stop, I'm not going to let you kill yourself just because--"

"I'm all right, Mirae, really," Chanyeol tried to protest.

"--And I told you at the beginning of the year to quit this flirting thing and not once have you listened to me!" I hadn't meant to say this last part, but it was true that I wish he hadn't. It only painfully reminded me that it never would be true.

"Oh yeah? well, I don't think you meant--"

"STOP IT, BOTH OF YOU!" Baekhyun bellowed. I faced him abruptly and he looked more tired than ever. Huffing loudly, he pushed me on a chair. "Be quiet or I'll duct-tape your mouth."

"And you." He turned towards his best mate. "You're not attending any class, at least not until the doctor says so and that's final."

Chnayeol shot us a glare. "You guys don't get it."

"What?"

He exhaled loudly. "If I don't act normal, how am I supposed to make it to try-outs?" He pointed at his wristwatch. "Look, there are only three hours left. I have to get ready, I can't waste a second here!"

The three of us fell quiet. I exchanged a brief glance with the other two and they looked equally scared. The only sound I could hear was Baekhyun mumbled something like 'nurse'.

I faced to my left and noticed a white-uniformed nurse trotting in our direction. The three of us scrambled to our feet to give her room to move freely. Her face indicated she meant business as she sat a leather box on the table next to Chanyeol and began her job which mostly consisted of changing his bandage, forcing him to take his medicine, and elevating his foot for exercise.

After she was done, a stern frown on her lips, she added, "I've done the usual First Aid. The doctor will be here in half an hour. You stay here until then."

Chanyeol didn't even open his mouth to protest this time.

But she turned towards me. "And you, Head Girl. Take your buddies to class, I wouldn't deal with any crowd here."

-

To be honest, the first lesson in the morning was a tiny bit dry because he wasn't there. Maybe more than a tiny bit dry. Whatsoever, Yumi, Baekhyun, Junmyun, and I rushed after the class to check on him and found Chanyeol's spirit and hopes lifted every time. 

Around ten in the morning, in the middle of my second class, I made my way to the hospital wing again (don't ask how I developed the guts to bunk). When I reached the door, I spotted a lady there peering anxiously through the small patch of glass on the door.

I haven't seen her before but her dressing sense stood out to me, that I must say. White blouse and red pencil skirt. I wonder how people manage to look so professional and beautiful. Catching her confusion, I tapped her shoulder. "Can I help you with something, ma'am?" I asked.

As the lady faced me, a sigh of relief escaped . I looked closely. To be honest she was pretty familiar. With a huge smile, she extended her hand. "Mirae! It's so nice to meet you."

I raised an eyebrow but shook her hand back, conjuring a small smile. "Uh, sorry. I don't recognize you?"

"I'm Chanyeol's sister, Yoora. He's mentioned you in our conversations." I smiled and nodded. Ah, that was the resemblance. "He asked me to pick him up but somebody at the info desk told me I should check here before submitting the application." Creases formed between her delicate brows. She was seriously Chanyeol's carbon copy, just a female and more civilized counter-part. "What is going on?"

I gulped. "Um . . . ." I started but I didn't know what to say. "He--he had a small er-accident and---"

"What! How did that happen? Why didn't anyone inform me?" She asked anxiously.

I opened my mouth but the nurse entered the room and beat me to it. "Miss Park?" My head whipped in her direction. "The doctor needs to see you."

Yoora smiled at me apologetically and ran inside the hospital wing. I glanced at my watch. There were still 2 hours until his tryouts. Crossing my fingers, I hoped for a miracle.

-

I tapped my shoes impatiently on the floor. It had been twenty minutes after she had disappeared behind the doors I so wanted to trespass right now. In my mind, I had formed a few million excuses to get inside and steal a glance at Chanyeol and hear whatever the doctor was saying. But no justification sounded good enough. I groaned in annoyance.

The sound of short breath and rushed footsteps reached me from behind. Baekhyun, Junmyun, and Yumi burst into the room looking at me expectantly. I sighed and shook my head.

"His sister was here. They called her inside. But I can't find a way to get inside too." I told them.

"Hmm..." I could practically hear the wheels inside Baekhyun's head rolling. But before he could come up with a plan, Chanyeol's sister joined us. My heartbeat slowed at the sight of her red eyes. Her next words were painful enough to crush my heart.

"I don't think he can make it to the tryouts." She sniffed.

Without another word, the four of us rushed past her inside the hospital wing whether to persuade the doctor or console our friend, I don't know. I just knew I had to be there with him.

My limbs weakened as my eyes met Chanyeol's helpless figure slumped on the corner of his bed. He sighed heavily. Chanyeol looked up at us and when our eyes met, my jaw dropped at the sight of tear-filled eyes.

"Holy ," Baekhyun muttered.

I neared Chanyeol at a slow pace. He inhaled loudly and turned towards the doctor whose presence I hadn't even noticed till now. "But one hour wouldn't hurt, right? I mean what worse could happen in that time?! Just let me go for one hour and I'll---"

The doctor sighed. "Boy, we've argued about this for an hour now."

"But I said it's important--"

"Well, I just told you what I was supposed to! Your foot is only going to be worse if you keep on these--these mischievous rendezvous!"The older man exclaimed.

Chanyeol pursed his lips tightly and glanced at his friends for help. Junmyun spoke up immediately, "Of course we understand, sir. You're totally right. But . . . . how about if we go with him, take the nurse to ensure his well being and promise to bring him back within an hour."

"You see . . ." I added slowly. "This is something he's been preparing for months and this is our only chance."

Baekhyun spoke up. "I promise you can keep him under observation for weeks and weeks after that but . . . . "

The doctor shook his head. "I'm sorry. You kids don't understand this." He paused. "That cut on his abdomen is still fresh but it's going to heal in no time. But his foot . . . . "

I frowned as worry took over me. "What about it?" Baekhyun voiced what I wasn't able to.

"This is muscular spasm we are talking about." The doctor explained. "Spasms occur when a muscle is over-exerted or dehydrated. My guess is that when he had an impact with the car, he was fatigued and he slipped his foot and fell in a really poor posture. Which eventually led to over-stretching of muscle."

I nodded, knowing this already from Biology class. He continued, "The strain is not severe. All he needs is to rest completely for a week or maybe two at least, ice his muscle, and do regular exercise."

The doctor thumped Chanyeol's shoulder. "I'm sorry, young man,  but even if I allowed you to go, it would be no use. You can't walk for a few days let alone play."

He walked across the ward leaving us behind. All that could be heard was dead silence and Yoora's quiet sniffing.

-

The next day was his birthday and I swear I've never seen a gloomier one.

For somebody who hosted the grandest party of the century and celebrated it for weeks, cutting a small cake in a hospital ward with a swollen foot was not ideal. At all. 
And Chanyeol's sulky mood said it all.

He ignored everybody's birthday cards, gifts, and 'get well soon' bouquets. He hardly smiled when any classmate visited him. He became thinner turned paler whenever football was mentioned. It was clear that Chanyeol was sour about his bad luck, and I don't blame him. Preparing so hard for something for months and not being able to do it at the eleventh hour was as bad as anything. Plus the fact that this was his only opportunity.

His friends, Yumi and I made failed efforts to cheer him up all day. We even skipped classes to accompany him but nothing seemed to make him feel better. 
But around the evening that day, he was beginning to loosen up and I couldn't be happier. We spent most of the time chatting until, of course, I had to leave for rounds.

I left his room with a smile, satisfied at the improvement in his morales. I know it's a hard time for him. It was his passion, something he'd imagined himself as ever since he was a kid. I can't imagine how he must be feeling. But I was glad to see him in better condition. Maybe he'd get up back to his normal routine soon.

But my views changed that night.

When I was going to bed, a sudden feeling came over me. I wanted to see him because something didn't sit well with me. I know it's late and he was probably sleeping. As my feet took me towards the hospital room to check on him one last time. What I found inside was nerve-wracking. 

His bed was empty.

The nurse was absent from her desk. I ran through the wards to look for him, checked the restroom and the storeroom. Anxiousness took over me. Suddenly I caught sight of a broad back in the small gallery in the corner of the wing that looked out to the... football stadium. Quite ironic if you asked me. The person was supported on crutches and it didn't take me more than a microsecond to recognize him.

A flash of relief shot through me as I advanced towards him.

I stared at his back for some time, trying to catch my short breath. I thought about what was I even going to say to him at my sudden visit. My brows frowned when the hazy smell of smoke reached me. It tingled the insides of my nose. 

As my footsteps thumped on the floor, nearing him, Chanyeol's hand shuffled hurriedly into his jacket pocket, a strain of curses flowing out of his mouth. But I was faster, as I grabbed his hand holding the cigarette and looked at him in accusation. Feeling irked, I raised a brow at his grumpy face which was illuminated by the moonlight. 

My lips tightened as he tried to wriggle free of my grasp in frustration. "Let go!" He growled. His voice was raspy and rough. "I didn't do anything."

"I saw you!" 

"Stop it, Mirae. Stop controlling my life." He hissed. Being the strong of us, he seized his wrist away.

I glanced up and shot him an angry look. "Ya, give it to me!"

We continued the hand wrestling for a few more minutes until I succeeded in snatching the cigarette from his hand. Chanyeol quieted down as I held the small burning stick in my hand and glared at him.

I spoke in a quiet tone, rolling the cigarette in my fingers. "I thought you said you didn't smoke."

"I don't."

I threw him a questioning glance. He shrugged sulkily, leaning on his crutches, and looked over the gallery railing. I followed his gaze to the widespread grounds stretching ahead. Chanyeol, the champion of these grounds, was no more a conquering hero. He wasn't going to be shooting impossible goals for the rest of his life, he wouldn't be earning trophies for a living. The cheers that echoed his name in the Final match a few weeks back, were probably the last he'd heard. A light breeze blew through his hair. His expression hardened. "I have my ways of releasing tension."

I opened my mouth but closed it again. After much reflection, I swallowed down a lecture and whispered, "But I-I thought you were . . ."

Chanyeol chuckled humorlessly. "What? Getting better? Starting to forget that I lost my battle all on my own?"

In front of me stood the boy with a broken heart and shattered dreams. Whose eyes were full of tears, regrets, and bitterness. Who was asking his fate for the reason why this had happened to him. Who had prepared for his goals all life and lost on his own account at the last moment. Who was lost and hopeless. The pain dripping from his face was unbearable but I kept looking into his eyes, feeling as helpless as he was. Taking a deep breath, I stepped closer to him. His nose was getting runny in the cold night and he sniffed looking away.

I reluctantly lifted my hand and offered him the cigarette I was holding though I don't know what made me do that. He looked surprised as I handed it to him but to my surprise, he tossed it across the railing. I couldn't come up with something to say, anything to cheer him up. But sometimes, it's better to mourn with one rather than trying to brighten up their mood. So I wrapped my arms around his neck and his face fell in my shoulder, hands snuggling around my waist. 

We didn't say anything but we stayed in that position for a long time, enjoying each other's presence in the cold night that didn't feel so cold anymore. I felt safe and warm as I tightened our embrace, wanting to absorb all the sadness he was feeling somehow and share it with him.

There was Baekhyun struggling with his drunk suicidal brother, Junmyun, and his insecurities regarding his father. Sehun had a death in the family he still couldn't get over at and Jinoung struggling against his parent's wishes.
And Chanyeol with a shattered dream and it wasn't the first time he had seen rejection.

Sometimes, I forget that everyone in the world was fighting their own battles.

"Happy Birthday."

-

After wrapping up the prefect's meeting for December, I hurried out of the room. Things weren't any easier to manage without Chanyeol but I was coping with it somehow. He had been discharged last week and was taking classes whenever he didn't have his scheduled foot exercise with the physiotherapist.

I couldn't help being a bit impressed by myself for how well I was able to hide everything around him. We had classes, Head duties, rounds six nights a week---it should have been unbearably torturous. And no doubt, it was. Sometimes I felt really frustrated, wondering if he will ever reciprocate these feelings, wondering if we are ever going to cross the friendship line and if it will work or just fall out.

Chanyeol had texted me that he was taking a trip to the Arts department after our last class so that's where I was headed to. When I passed the music room, I heard a sweet rhythmic piano note and I guessed it was him. Pushing open the door, I tiptoed inside the room. I was shocked to see the large variety of musical instruments there. You name one that I didn't see. Trying not to trip from the wires of the keyboard and other electronic equipment, I edged closer to the music.

Chanyeol was immersed in the music he was playing and it didn't take me long to do the same. I leaned against the wall and smiled, drawing in a deep, peaceful breath. After he was finished, I made my presence known by clapping enthusiastically.

Chanyeol turned around and his surprised face burst into a smile. "Since when have you been standing here?"

"Long enough to know that you can sweep anyone off their feet with that."

He blushed, "No, no. This was just a draft."

"Well, it already sounds perfect to me." I walked closer to him, looking around the room. Taking a seat next to him on the piano bench, I took his hand in mine. I whispered. "You know, it's okay if you can't be a professional football player. You have this. Maybe this is your hidden talent."

"Yeah?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, you can do music pretty well."

He smiled widely, the first genuine one I've seen in many weeks. "That's well--thanks."

The atmosphere in the room was almost superficial. Dim lighting, warmth, soft music. And Chanyeol beside me. I absent-mindedly caressed his tough, sturdy fingers, lost in my thoughts. After a fleeting moment, I raised my head and found Chanyeol staring intently at me. I straightened myself and gazed back into his intense eyes. In the chestnut brown swirls of affection and endearment. To be honest, they are the most beautiful part of him. Dark in color with few specs of light brown embedded in them. I saw how they lowered from my eyes for a minute and then back there.

The space between Chanyeol and me was closing slowly and steadily and I was more than ready to encounter our first real kiss. My breathing was stopped. But my heart quickened its pace.
A moan of pain suddenly escaped his mouth breaking the temperament. He had apparently hit his strained foot with the piano's frame.

I quickly jumped back, looking around anywhere but his face.

Chanyeol cleared his throat uncomfortably. I changed the subject quickly, "Can you play for me?"

"What?" He was startled.

I nodded. "Yes. There was this piano piece I was listening to the other day and I really liked it."

"Do you remember its name?"

I tilted my head in concentration. "Um, yes something like a river flows in...uh in something-"

He slammed his fist in the air. "Yes! Yiruma's 'River flows in you'! I learned it last year. Let me show you." Chanyeol adjusted his posture and placed his fingers over the keys.

https://youtu.be/-GiTAg5ovr8

(You can play this too)

The minute the music filled my ears, I sighed in content. This was heaven. Chanyeol hit every note perfectly and I couldn't help admiring his talent. The soft rhythm touched my soul and my body swayed with it. It was like all of my troubles and insecurities washed away when I heard it. The melody sounded soothing to me and I bet it was for him too judging by the way he was smiling blindingly.

When Chanyeol finally ended his brilliant performance, I thanked him, laying my shoulder on his without another word.

-

"Coffee?" I offered the boy in front of me, putting on a cheery smile as I held out the steaming cup.

Sehun looked up from his book and nodded. I sat down on the cold bench nestling next to him. It was recess time and I decided to spend it with him today hoping this would help me take my mind off things. Things like Chanyeol.

"What is it?" I tilted my head at the book he had just shut close.

"The Vegetarian." He smiled. "Dad's novel. He hadn't completed it so I thought maybe I should."

I nodded. The biting, cold wind blew over us making me tighten the coat around myself but it didn't take me long to realize that sitting outdoor in the middle of December was a terrible idea. Especially when I was extra sensitive to the cold and it had snowed just yesterday.

"What are your next plans?" I asked out of the blue.

Sehun narrowed his eyes in thought. "Um . . . I think I have an Economics class before--"

"I mean," I interrupted him, chuckling. "for future."

"Oh."

"So?"

He shrugged. "Why are you suddenly interested?" When I didn't reply he continued. "I don't know. I am staying over at my uncle's during the Christmas break. When we last met at--at the funeral, he said I was going to live with him after graduation. That it was . . . Dad's wish."

I nodded. "Until you settle on your own, right?"

"Of course. He's in Incheon so I'm thinking that a university in the city would be a better option."

Looking over the white expanse stretched out before me, I took a sip and nodded. Sehun began to tell me about the progress of his History presentation with Junmyun and I told him about mine. We talked about almost everything ranging from his dotted trousers to Daegu's climate changes.

I fell silent after some time. A melodic voice reached my ears. My head whipped in the direction. Chanyeol was roaming over the grounds with Baekhyun who had said something that made Chanyeol laugh. I smiled at his beaming face, he was recovering quite fast. Willpower really did wonders. He still walked with the help of crutches but the doctor said he can get rid of them before Christmas. Sometimes I would find him staring sadly into the distance whenever somebody mentioned anything about football or those try-outs. I know his heart still yearns for what he has striven for so long. I wish I could do something about it.

"You like him, don't you?"

My eyes shot from Chanyeol and faced Sehun with a jolt. Deep down in my heart, I knew Sehun was going to be very very angry and hurt and difficult if Chanyeol and I become a thing.  Sehun's words when I had disclosed my relation with Jinyoung suddenly echoed in my ears. "Yeah, it's good as long as you're not dating that jerk."

"Sorry what?" I coughed, clutching my cup tightly.

He smirked. "I can see what's going on over here, Mirae." He moved his hand between me and far off where Chanyeol was. "I'm not blind, you know."

I regained myself and my lips forced open into a strained smiled, tucking a few stray strands of hair behind my ear. "There's nothing going on."

It wasn't a lie. There wasn't anything going on between the two of us. Which was exactly the issue.

Sehun rolled his eyes. "Okay sure."

I closed my eyes and sighed. "Sehun, I said there's nothing going--"

"I saw you both in the music room the other day."

His words were a bullet shooting right through me. My eyes widened and I almost choked on my coffee. My mind raced to recall everything I did or said that day, just to make sure there wasn't anything against my defense.
Then I remembered that I had laid my head over Chanyeol's shoulder.
Asked him to play for me, played with his fingers, almost kissed him. I remembered all of it because not gonna lie, those moments have been playing in my mind all day and night.

I faced Sehun again who was watching me with an amused smile. 

"Oh, you did?" I conjured up a half-smile.

Sehun nodded. "It's my duty this week to turn off all the electronic music equipment, make sure everything is in its place, and lock the room after class timing. And I saw the two of you so I waited outside for a while because . . . . I didn't feel like intruding."

"Oh."

I was at a loss for words. I should have been explaining everything or making excuses but here I sat speechless as ever. But Sehun wasn't having any of that. He raised an eyebrow at me, clearly expecting something more than an 'oh'.

I sighed and threw a glance at Chanyeol. I had never discussed boys with Sehun. Mostly because I never had a serious guy to talk about. I guess there is a first time for everything.

"I do. I do like him." I answered boldly. "A lot, actually," meeting my eyes with Sehun. His eyes widened but he smirked winningly. A smirk that screamed 'I knew it'.

I chewed my lips waiting for an aftershock. But it never came. In fact, after a few silent moments, Sehun spoke, "Um . . . I don't wanna be too personal or anything but what's stopping you? I mean, he's single, you're single. So . . ."

I threw him an incredulous look. Refusing to believe my ears, I gaped at him for a minute before saying, "You're okay with it? If--if I date him, you--you'd have no issue?"

He frowned. "I . . . I can live with it."

"You don't sound so sure," I commented.

 Sehun grazed my hand and said, "I want to see you happy. And if he makes you happy, then that's that. It's okay if you have feelings for him."

I smiled in relief and nodded. This was honestly a big burden off my chest. I'm not usually one who cares much about what other people think but Sehun holds a special place and his opinion matters. "You should tell him how you feel." He said, making me look up in surprise. "Mirae, opportunities are gone in the blink of an eye but regrets last for a lifetime."

I arched an eyebrow in confusion. "Where are you going with this . . . regret?"

He shrugged. "Listen, all I know is that if you like somebody, you tell them. Because in a matter of few months, we'll be graduating from high school and each of us will go our separate ways to college. We'd lose contact, we'd grow apart so all I'm saying is that you don't have your whole life to figure out how to confess."

Sehun's words slowly sunk into me and I hated to say that every part of it felt true and was something I never actually considered. 

"Although," Sehun smiled in sheer amusement. "if he ever does anything wrong with you, do not hesitate to mention it to me. I would honestly love to kick his hard."

-

After a fairly busy last day of classes before Christmas, I stretched widely, said Yumi goodbye, and got on my feet for rounds. Chanyeol was still insisting on doing rounds with me because he had just got rid of his crutches and was able to walk without support. Though I knew that all arguments were futile, but it didn't stop me from trying anyway. 

"Seriously Chanyeol, just go to bed! I've done rounds plenty of time by myself, and they're not that important--"

"They were when I showed up drunk one time," muttered Chanyeol under his breath.

I glared at him. "There are so many things wrong with that sentence that I won't even bother pointing them out."

"Learned to control the lecturing, have you?" He grinned at me.

"Something like that."

"I've lasted all day without support, haven't I?" Chanyeol continued as we started down the third corridor.

"I just think you should rest---"

"Two more hours won't make a difference. Plus, I wouldn't want you to run into Madame Jung without me again. She'd probably give you detention. And where would we be then?"

"In detention," I answered with a grin, coming to a stop. "But really, you could just break me of detention if it ever happens, we could go on a date--" as the word slipped from my mouth, I could have kicked myself in the , but I quickly hurried on, hoping Chanyeol wouldn't notice. "and everything would be fine, so if you want to go back, I really won't mind."

"Sorry, what was that?"

"I said if you want to go back--"

"No, no, no, not that," Chanyeol spoke with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "The part about a date."

"What?" I was starting to blush.

"Are you asking me out, Kang Mirae?"

"No," I exclaimed quickly. I started walking again. "The point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't worry about getting me in detention if that's all that's keeping you here."

"The pleasure of your lovely company may have mattered a bit too," Chanyeol replied, still sounding highly amused at my outburst. "I feel obligated to end on a good note, with it being the last day of term and all."

"Which I'd completely forgotten, by the way," I said, gladly jumping on the chance to change the subject. "It took me about five minutes to work out why every teacher kept blathering on about our homework for the holiday."

"So unfair!"

"It's the final year, what'd you expect?"

"That they'd finally recognize my exceptional brilliance and relieve me from the burden of homework." He explained passionately.

"Yeah, keep dreaming with that one." I chuckled.

When we were nearing the end of rounds a couple of hours later, Chanyeol offered an unexpected invitation. "My parents usually throw an annual New Year's party at our house, Mum started doing it since the last five years." He shrugged. "I skipped last year's but I miss home this year so I'm definitely attending. So, if you're around---I know you come to school earlier but in case--"

"Actually, this year I'm staying home until the first of January."

"Really?" Chanyeol asked. "Well, brilliant, then if you don't get any better offers . . . ."

"I'll see if I can work you into my immensely busy holiday schedule of doing absolutely nothing," I said, smiling.

"Right," Chanyeol nodded as we came to the base of the stairs separating our rooms.

I waited for him to add something but when he didn't, I said, " If I don't see you in the morning, then Happy Christmas."

"Yeah, you too."

"Are you going to write to me again, like last year?"I asked, then shook my head with an embarrassed laugh at the sound of it."Not that you have to, obviously, and---not that I was necessarily expecting it, but um . . . can we just forget I said anything?"

Grinning again, Chanyeol whispered, "Good night, Mirae."

"Yes, er, good night."

I might have rushed to the stairs a bit faster than usual, but I didn't really care if he had noticed. My mouth had blurted out enough unexpected nonsense for the day and I bet I was flushed red the whole two hours we spent patrolling.

Jumping into a hot shower, I tried not to obsess over the New Year's invitation and whether it was a hidden implication of date, or whether Chanyeol had just asked me as he must have asked Baekhyun and Junmyun.

I couldn't help the slight flip-flop of my stomach when I re-entered my bedroom to find a note shoved under my door in Chanyeol's messy scrawl. The seven words written were hardly a confession of love, but I smiled at them anyway.

Only if you promise to write back.

-------------------------------

Oh dear, I hope you enjoyed it. This book is nearing its end and I can't help feeling emotional.

Also here is an IMPORTANT question for you: 

If you have any questions or confusion regarding ChanMirae's relation or about Mirae or Jinyoung please comment here & tell me. I'm gonna try to clear up every quarry you have in the following chapters. Thank you!

Don't forget to share reviews of this chapter with me. I'd love to see your feedback!