Chapter 27

It's Always You

~What's your favorite fanfiction on AFF up till now?

Here comes an entire chapter of Chan-Mirae moments. Feed your hunger!

---

"I consulted a former football coach for training for my test," Chanyeol announced. It was quite late, after rounds and I was just getting ready for bed when he texted me saying he wanted to see me and talk about something. Instead of finding it weird because we patrolled for hours when he had the opportunity to say it, I was panicking that something was wrong. Though, through his text, Chanyeol assured me otherwise. As we met up in the vacant common room, he broke out the news soberly.

"Okay. So?"

"Well..." He scratched at the back of his head nervously. "He says that he is currently giving coaching to other candidates as well and I can join him anytime I want." 

I nodded shortly, not seeing what was the problem with that. He cleared his throat uneasily, "The timings aren't very convenient. 7:30 to 10 pm."

My mouth formed an 'O'. Now I see the complete picture, the reason behind his hesitant tone and pleading eyes. That's...well, that's the same time when we patrol. Not to mention, 10 pm time is way past curfew. Before I could respond, he closed in quickly. "Look, please, don't say that it's not allowed. I know it's not. being Heads and all, it's our duty to follow the rules and I totally understand it but I have no choice! Please Mirae, It's not even for a whole week, only four days a week." he held his breath. "Can you cover up for me for the next three weeks? Until I give my trial?"

I sighed. "When's your test?"

"26 November."

"But you can do it in an appropriate way too, right? No need to sneak off like that." I suggested, "I mean, Jinyoung goes for training too but since he has that attested from the school administration nobody can lay a hand on him." I suggested helpfully.

Chanyeol replied, "I know, I considered that too. But what are the chances of the Admin granting me permission when they know I have to do rounds, that I already have a responsibility? Madame Jung is still against the idea of me being Head Boy. If she gets wind of it, there's no way she'll bend the rules for me."

"What makes you think I will?" I raised a brow. "I imagine you know how high I am on taking responsibility seriously?"

"Because..." He bit his lower lip. The expression on Chanyeol's face betrayed his anxiety. He does really want my help, doesn't he?  "This is a responsibility too. Just a different kind... it's about my future." 

That makes sense. Smart boy with a smart mouth, that's what Park Chanyeol is. It wouldn't hurt to do rounds on my own, right? His dark eyes poured into mine, imploring silently. I exhaled loudly, twisting with ends of the frill on my nightshirt. 

"Alright." I gave in.

-

Tension and fog, both were thick in the air as we progressed towards the end of November. It seemed that the student body had only two topics for discussion: Prom and the final match of the tournament. That's all. But since the workload wasn't much either, I let it go and was surprised to find myself looking forward to both. Yumi didn't have a hard time convincing me to attend this particular match; I figured it was the last match after all which makes my 'next match' excuse completely invalid. And all the effort the boys were putting into it, including my boyfriend, it just seemed right to cheer for them.

Baekhyun and Yumi's campaign for the prom hunt was going successful, at least for Baekhyun it was. Junmyun, on the other hand, didn't say much but we all knew that he had his heart on the same girl who seemed too 'unreachable'. But knowing this guy, he underestimates him too much. On the contrary, Chanyeol remained quite tight-lipped about the whole matter. He would shrug whenever he was asked and it was getting on my nerves. I kept hoping silently that it wasn't Hyori. But then, I should have no say in the matter.

Match preparations were being carried out with enthusiasm. A larger stadium was booked. Banners, cheers, football accessories were sold like hotcakes. The team was favored in every aspect, either it was late-submitted homework or any sort of misconduct. But in return, the pressure was building upon them too, resulting in several nervous breakdowns and tempers shooting high. It was hard to catch sight of both Chanyeol and Jinyoung these days. Classes, football practice, and then they would run off to their respective training before stumbling back in the common room late at night, tired to the bone.

After winding up the Prefect meeting, my weary feet found their own way back to the common room. I didn't mind sorting out the prefect patrol schedule, we had to work around football practices, club meetings, and group study sessions, but today it took longer than it should. Without Chanyeol to help out. Plus, him being my partner for rounds made things very easy for me and you wouldn't find me complaining about it at all.

But I was starting to miss his presence at rounds.

Evenings usually found Chanyeol and me as the last ones in the common room finishing our homework. And it was no different on Wednesday, one night before the match. Baekhyun left after he was done humiliating Chanyeol, who was completing his essay by accusing him of 'being a disgrace to the entire history of pranksters' because he was studying. Jinyoung too, after some time, had announced to call it a night, leaned forward to kiss me good night. "See you tomorrow, Mirae."

Forty-five minutes later, I became aware of the fact that Chanyeol was staring at me. Abandoning my essay, I asked, "Can I help you with something?"

"No," he said easily, a hint of an amused smile playing at his lips.

"You're staring at me." I pointed out.

"Yes." He admitted pleasantly, leaning back and propping his legs on the table.

"Well, I'd rather you don't." I was surprised to find him in the same position after a few minutes. "If you're waiting to gloat about finishing homework before me again, then I'm prepared to be momentarily deaf. Go to bed."

"Ah, but it's much more entertaining watching you."

A knot tightened in my stomach. "That's so... creepy." Then I outright asked, "What do you want, Chanyeol?"

"Who says I want anything? Maybe I'm simply down here to enjoy the pleasure of your company until--"

"Chanyeol," I warned.

"Oh, does that cute tone of yours mean you're pissed off at me now?" He was grinning.

"It's not cute at all." I glared. "If you want a favor, I might suggest not provoking me."

"Alright." he conceded. Removing his feet from the table, he leaned forward. "It is a well-kept secret that we three"- He pointed at himself and the boy's dorm- "are the sole providers of food for the post-match parties."

I snorted. "No, it's not, that isn't a secret to anyone."

"Right, well, what is a secret is that preparations traditionally begin previously, on the night before the match." He spoke in a low, conspirational tone.

My eyebrows shot up to my forehead, I asked, "And what if you don't win the match? What happens to all the food and drinks?"

To say that he looked highly offended was an understatement. I quickly continued before hurting his extra-large ego anymore than I had, "Never mind that, but is it really necessary?"

"Of course it is. Everything I do is necessary. Anyways, we figured out that if we bring the drinks over on Thursday night, then it would be much easier sneaking up food all through the party. Plus, the teachers aren't expecting to plan ahead so far as to be suspicious now."

"You've really thought this through, haven't you?"

"We take party prep very seriously." He smirked.

"Clearly. Where do you keep all the stuff?"

"In the dorm, of course." He said simply and I thought, of course, he has a whole room to himself.

"I'm still not seeing where I come in."

"Well, I told others I'd take care of it this time. But I might require some assistance." Chanyeol elaborated.

"Why'd you promise to do it when you weren't sure if I'd help you?" I asked, puzzled. 

"Oh, but I knew you would." He claimed confidently.

Gosh, this boy really is something, isn't he?

"Really? Why is that?" I was debating inwardly to refuse his request, just to wipe that sure smile off his face. 

He neared in, closing the space between us. "Because I'm so irresistible." His darkened eyes were glinting in amusement and my stomach dropped.

"Sure, of course." I sighed. "Alright, what do we do first?"

-

Half an hour later, I found us returning to the common room, carrying two gigantic crates of beer and balancing other beverages. The fact, that it was way past curfew and that both of us would be kicked straight out on the street if anybody found out that we had sneaked out after midnight was making me chicken out. He's really making me do things without me even realizing how wrong it is. I cast a look around for something to distract me and get my mind off of the anxiety.

"Are you nervous?" I asked him.

He shot me a confused look. "Of what? That one wrong move could send this entire crate to come crashing on us? Or that you have a stubborn mind that could turn its back on me any minute and make you march up to the Head office and turn me in?" He shot me a cheeky grin at the last one.

"No-- though I wouldn't necessarily rule out the last one." I threw him a warning look. "But I meant the match tomorrow."

Chanyeol frowned at me. "I'm never nervous about football matches. Or anything, for that matter."

I frowned back at him. "That's a lie, mister and you know it. It's stupid not to be nervous. It is inhumane."

"How do you figure that out?"

"Well, for one thing, it motivates you to improve. Makes you extra alert. And anxiety is a part of conscience....oh wait, sorry I forgot you don't have that." I matched his cheeky grin from earlier.

"It's more fun being care-free."

I stopped in my tracks just inside the doorway of his bedroom. Clothes were strewn haphazardly across the floor, hanging off the end of his bed. Scrapes of paper, empty ink bottles, and stationery items littered the surface of his desk. His school books were piled hastily at the front of his bed, and his bag hung off the handle of the bathroom door. The walls were covered with posters and banners, which was a lively change as I've always been used to staring at my empty white ones. His guitar laid on the floor. And I used to think I was unorganized. Finding it surprisingly comfortable, I stepped inside, a wrapper of Kit Kat crunching beneath my foot.

"Yeah, it's a little messy," Chanyeol said unconcernedly, correctly interpreting the look on my face.

"You think?" I said, shaking my head and placed the crates on the portion of the floor that was devoid of the general clutter. "How do you live here?"

"Quite well, thank you."

"And here I thought you were being vulgar when you said you'd put a single room to good use." I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "There's no way you've brought a girl up here."

"I brought you, didn't I?"

I looked up from the crate I had just settled to meet Chanyeol's eye before he suddenly turned away looking embarrassed at his remark. Thinking of how it would look if someone caught me coming out of his room at this time of the night, what they would assume, I flushed and wondered if I should leave. I've always imagined it to be rather weird being in a guy's room alone, but to my surprise, it wasn't that scary or awkward. But as I glanced at his desk, I found myself starting towards it.

"You're not going to start cleaning, are you?" He said teasingly, with an apprehensive edge to his tone.

I didn't answer, merely snatching the crumpled paper balls and shoving them inside the rubbish bin.

"Jesus," I heard him mutter. "Just don't throw away anything important." I heard him get up and frown, Chanyeol started picking up his clothes and shoving them inside his closet. I raised my eyebrow at him and he just shrugged back. "I was inspired."

"By what?"

"You, of course."

I looked over the dirty mount of clothes stuffed in his closet, parts of which were sticking out. "That's hardly better."

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

"How... spoiled rich boy of you." I teased amusingly causing the taller guy to glare indignantly at me.

"I'll let you know that I clean my own room at home, help walk elderly women cross the road and make a point to save puppies at least once a week."

I laughed. "I suppose that evens things out."

After arranging his items on the table, I slumped on his study chair with a sigh. With a merry twinkle in his eyes, he also came over and perched on his desk. "Did you know about Jinyoung?" His beaming face dimmed a little as he focused his gaze on me. "His audition, I mean. I found out today."

"Hmm." I nodded, looking away. "He didn't tell me by himself but I did find out on my own a few days ago."

Chanyeol's eyes widened. "And you're not mad at him?"

"He's upset about other things, Chanyeol." I sighed, looking away. "I didn't want to add to the list."

He was gazing at me with an admirable expression. "Wow, you're just... I mean, I know I have probably have said this before but you just keep proving it every day. You're bloody awesome, you know, even more than I thought."

"Why? Because I'm covering up for you when it's completely against my morals or because I'm not mad at Jinyoung for being discrete?" I don't know what made me say that.

"No, because you're you," he stated with a firm resolution.

Meeting his eyes, I waited for him to elaborate, before realizing he wasn't going to, and moreover, I don't think I want him to. "Thank you."

He nodded. I urged my legs to get up and leave. Looking at him carefully, I saw his smile slipped at my considering expression. "You make me nervous when you look at me like that."

I raised my eyebrows. "I thought you never got nervous."

A grin broke out in his features, shaking his head. "You really are impossible."

He leaned down, resting his elbows on his knees, a look in his eyes that I couldn't identify. I suddenly realized how close our faces were. I could count the eyelashes covering his earnest eyes. His nose was at a mere distance of three inches from mine. I pulled myself back. "Well, now that I have officially lost my mind and achieved the title of a rule-breaker, I should get to bed."

"Well, I'm always happy to spoil you rotten." He got up in one fluid motion and opened the door for me.

I stood as well, smiling as I walked past Chanyeol in a rushed manner. "Good night."

"Likewise. Oh and Mirae?" I turned in the door frame to face him. His cheeks were a little red. "I'm always nervous before football matches---and no, you're not allowed to repeat that to anyone."

I grinned at him. "Of course."

-

"Do you reckon if I go over there and make out with him, he'll ask me out for prom?" Yumi probed, tapping her fork on her plate. Today was the glorious day of the Final. I made sure to change into my fresh-from-the-laundry hoodie with our football team's emblem embroidered over it. The student population was bustling in the lunch hall, everybody thrilled to get the best seats closer to the pitch today. The boys had changed in their maroon and gold dazzling uniforms and I swear they looked downright hot. Yumi's gaze was dreamily directed at an Arts student she had been totally smitten for, for the last few days. But none of us knew him so we had no idea how to introduce them.

"I guess you just have to ask him for a quick kiss and see what happens," I said eventually, shooting her a coy smile.

That surprised a laugh out from her. "Now that is--"

"Excellent, I love a good make-out story." Baekhyun, who had overheard me, slipped on the seat between us, grinning wickedly. "Anyone particular in mind, Mirae?"

I rolled my eyes. "Certainly not you, for starters."

"Oh of course not." He agreed seriously. "I wouldn't be a good kisser, anyway." I frowned at his sudden modesty but then he ruined it by adding, "I'd be a great kisser."

Yumi snorted beside me. "Honestly Baekhyun."

"What, I'm being perfectly honest."

"It's far too early for you and your vulgarity."

"So, you're saying you'd be open for it later?" He smirked.

Ignoring them, I looked around and was pleased to see clear, sunny skies. I don't fancy sitting through a match in terrible weather. It was good though, as Chanyeol put it after he joined us.

"A perfect day for football!" He exhaled an excited breath, grinning enthusiastically at his teammates. Jinyoung looked green and was more ready to run for the toilet and throw up. When nobody answered Chanyeol, he frowned, "Well, isn't it?"

"Of course it is," Junmyun said. "But you say that before every match."

"That's because any day is a perfect day for football, and even if it wasn't, I'd expect you all to agree with me." He added, tone stern.

"You know I heard the other team, what was it..." I thought hard.

"Jung Academy?" Baekhyun raised a brow.

"Oh yeah, Jung Academy! I heard somebody in the restroom said that they're pretty strong this year---" I halted myself, catching the horrified look on Chanyeol's face.

"You don't praise the other team in front of Chanyeol." Jinyoung leaned in and quickly whispered in my ear. .

"What were you saying?" Chanyeol asked in a strained voice.

"Nothing," I quickly replied.

"Fast learner, that one." Baekhyun winked at me. I noticed his other teammates shaking their heads, concealing their amused smiles. Their captain was the only one who wasn't entertained.

"Just don't want my kicked," I said solemnly to Baekhyun. "Maybe another day."

"So Miss Yumi," Junmyun called. "I thought you were really cut up about Andrew but.." He didn't say more but pointed towards the guy Yumi had been fangirling over for the last few minutes. He had overheard our conversation, I guessed.

She chuckled. "Yeah, I was upset but... I wouldn't ruin my prom for him." She shrugged. "I know it's weird, I had a hard time explaining to Mirae too that I was perfectly all right. She thought I wasn't properly upset at the breakup of a relationship of two years." 

It's true, Yumi was stronger than I had ever imagined. I'd probably be wasted over a breakup.

Chanyeol smirked, gulping down his milkshake. "Well, Mirae has never been shot by a bloke, she wouldn't understand."

I crossed my arms. "Neither have you. You don't understand either."

"I never said I did understand."

I started, "So, what you mean is that I wouldn't understand the pain if I haven't been rejected or-"

"The point is." Chanyeol cut in, complacence looming over his face. "Unless you're planning to dump Jinyoung, you really can't have a say in the matter of dumping or being dumped and being 'properly upset' about it." He was just joking. He has to be. But the look in his eyes as we stared at each other, made my stomach flip uncomfortably. The small smile on his lips didn't even reach close to his eyes. It unsuitably reminded me of last night when I went to his room.

"I said... right Mirae?" came Jinyoung's voice.

"What?" I asked, breaking eye contact with Chanyeol.

"You're not planning to dump me, are you?"

I chuckled a little. "What, no, no!" I repeated shooting Chanyeol a look. "Of course not." He was still grinning but it didn't reach his eyes this time.

"Well, now that we've assured ourselves of that, time to go win a match," Chanyeol announced and gestured for his team to get up.

"Wish us luck, ladies." Baekhyun smiled.

 I stood up as my boyfriend got up from his seat. He surely looked tense about the match. "Don't worry, you're going to do great," I told Jinyoung and kissed him. "Play well...or whatever, you know."

"Well said." He teased. He turned to his mates as they cluttered on their feet to leave for the lockers. Some students around us starting raising slogans and cheers they'd prepared while the rest clapped for the team, wishing them luck. When Baekhyun left with the rest of the team, I noticed Chanyeol was still looking at me expectantly. "Well...?"

"Well, what?"

"Aren't you going to wish me good luck?"

"I don't think you need it," I said sweetly. "Nothing to be nervous about, is there?"

He replied, frowning. "Alright, no need to rub it in. I'm leaving."

"Okay, I'm sorry," I said, laughing, and grabbed his arm to stop him from walking. "Good luck." And without quite knowing what made me do it, I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek.

As my heels touched down, I found him giving me the same look he had given me when I had hugged him at the train station. But then he turned around and left the hall, just as he had that time.

-

Yumi and I met up with Junmyun and Jongdae on the bleachers, the four of us found seats together in the stands. From some distance, I spotted Sehun, Yixing, and Kyungsoo making their way in too. I called Sehun by his name and waved at him. He smiled and waved back. I would have gone over and chatted but this place was so big and I was afraid to get lost in the crowd so I passed the risk. Later on, the previous football captain and barista of Coffee Corner, Minseok joined us as promised. He occupied Jongdae's seat when the latter left for his aspiring commentary job.

The crowd was booming and cheering like mad. The atmosphere was charged and I couldn't help myself from being terribly nervous, my heart was buzzing like a bee. Both teams emerged from the changing rooms and captains shook hands with an intensity so great as if trying to crush each other's bones. And oh my god I swear, if I was the rival captain, I would have pissed my pants wet with worry if Chanyeol gave me that deadly smirk as he had already won the tournament. No wonder he was so confident. Okay, I need to stop being one of those crazy fangirls.

"There's something about a match day, isn't it?" Yumi, clutching her banner tightly as the referee whistled indicating the match to begin. I rubbed my frozen hands, eyes focused on the pitch and trying to follow our team players on the pitch.

"Well, I always try to think of it as a prediction about how the next few days will go," said Junmyun.

"What do you mean? Yumi asked.

"If we win, Baekhyun and Chanyeol will be strutting around like the bloody kings of Korea---"

"In other words." I chuckled. "behaving just as usual."

Junmyun grinned at me before continuing. "But if we lose..."

"They are about as fun to be around as a dead worm." Yumi completed.

 Yumi and I laughed. "Why didn't you ever get the football fever?" I questioned Junmyun. It's honestly something I never wondered.

He shrugged. "Never fancied that sport much. It's too much already with those two. I enjoy watching though."

"Clever boy." 

Junmyun didn't get the chance to reply as Jongdae's voice boomed across the pitch as he announced the first goal, in our favor. I whirled towards the pitch and saw Chanyeol high-fiving one of his teammates, a victorious smile on his lips. I smiled, my heart swelling with pride. This was my first match, and I am going to make sure I enjoy it the most.

-

"Well, at least you're saved from a depressing week," I commented to Junymun in the common room three hours later.

We were standing on the outskirts of the party celebrating our campus' tournament win. The match had taken an ugly twist when one of the players in our team injured his leg and had to sit back. Chanyeol looked furious and I couldn't depairing along with others at this unfortunate occurrence. The match had to be paused for a while. Junmyun rushed to the locker room to check on Chanyeol but him being the expert captain he was, had even trained the substitute players quite well and nobody even noticed the difference.

I wouldn't say it was an easy win but if there's no pain, there's no gain. At some point, I thought there was going to be a tie or something. But it didn't. My heart was bursting with happiness when Chanyeol kicked the final goal. The whole team, especially Chanyeol had tears glistening in his eyes when the director of a football board of Daegu handed him the trophy and we were afraid he would break into tears right then and there.

"Yeah, our good." Junmyun agreed, smiling in amusement at his best mates as Baekhyun and Chanyeol led the crowd, including the team members in a rousing chorus of a victory song, even when the music blasting from the speakers, was determined to blow holes in my eardrum. I don't expect any of the players to spare time for us tonight since they were quite packed by their fans. I'd only managed to congratulate Jinyoung once but it's his day today. They deserve the attention.

"Beer?" He turned to the table and offered me a bottle. I accepted, taking a swig. "Cheers."

Junymun grinned again but he wasn't looking at me. Following his gaze, I was surprised to see a short pretty girl in a red headband, chatting with a couple of people I didn't know. I immediately recognized her as one of the younger prefects. "What's she doing here?"

He shrugged, trying to look indifferently. Though he was still staring at her. "Oh I see, you do fancy her, don't you?"

That caught his attention. "What? no." His eyes quickly shifted to my face.

"Aha!" I said triumphantly. An idea sparking, I started to grin. "Go talk to her. Ask her out!" He still looked doubtful but it was clear he wanted to. 

"No, no, no this is a bad idea."

"Of course it isn't!" I exclaimed. "Seriously have you learned nothing from your friends? Just start with a dance, okay? If she's interested she'll agree and you can lead on after that."

Junmynu's head turned to glance at her again. Then, he looked back at me nervously.

I gave him a little shove. "Go!"

-

"I heard Junmyun finally made out with a girl," Jinyoung remarked, grinning, as we descended down the stairs to the third floor. Today was Friday, the night after the match. The euphoria of Chanyeol and his team's brilliant performance hadn't died down and I'm sure it isn't going to for another few weeks. But he himself had training with his coach which meant he was absent from rounds, therefore I was left making excuses to Jinyoung about Chanyeol's absence. 

After homework, Jinyoung had immediately offered to keep me company and I was more than happy because it's been a long time since he spared some time for me.

"Yes, he's finally crossed the milestone," I replied. "But who knows? Maybe he's snogged hundreds of girls before but this is the first time anybody found out."

He snorted. "He doesn't seem like someone to have a secret life."

I glanced at him, fighting a wry smile at the irony. I never expected you to have a secret life either. Oh dear lord, I really need to get over him hiding his audition from me. We're going nowhere in a good direction if I hold these grudges.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I'm not looking at you like... anything," I replied innocently.

"Right." He said. Taking a deep breath, he continued. "Oh um...well, JYP is holding a small contest for their best vocalists. For-for further recruitment and as a test for us who are already a part of the training program. Being a trainee, I have to enter."

"That's a great opportunity." I smiled.

"It's on this Sunday."

"Pretty cool-- what?" I stopped dead. "Sunday?" My eyes stretched wide. "As in this Sunday...the one that comes after Saturday? Day after tomorrow??"

The nod of his head was short and tense.

"But Prom is on Sunday!" I exclaimed.

Small creases appeared all over his forehead. "I know, I just found out today." He muttered in a small voice. Found out what? That I am supposed to be his date and have been waiting all this time to spend a good time with my boyfriend?

I shook my head, unable to believe him. "No...no, no, Jinyoung! This is prom. The prom! There's no way I'm letting you run off to your contests. Come on! Can't you change their mind?"

He chuckled humorlessly. "This is JYP, one of the biggest entertainment. You think they will listen to me, a small trainee who auditioned a month ago?"

I pressed my eyes shut as my feet slowed down on their own, unable to keep up with my rushing nerves. I can't believe this is happening. Every day he's coming to me with a brand new excuse looking so helpless that I can do nothing about it. Prom is supposed to be a memorable night for us when we would have loads of fun with my boyfriend and I have planned so much. This isn't fair. One month into training and it's already breaking us.

"Come on." Jinyoung nudged me from the side, making me look at him.

"What do you want me to say Jinyoung?" I responded with irritation. "Have you signed up?"

"Yes." He nodded his head.

"So you aren't asking, you're informing me." I taunted, mock dripping from my tone.

He sighed, annoyed at my response. "Mirae, I thought you said you were going to support me with this."

I turned at him sharply. Unleashing all the anger I've been bottling inside, I burst out, "I am doing my best but I can't support you with ditching me on the most awaited day only two nights before! You didn't even think I was important enough to tell me about your audition. I didn't say a word to you about it! And then you run away every night for your training. I can't even remember when was the last time we went on an actual date! But did you ever hear me complain, did you?"

He blinked at my outburst. "It's Saturday tomorrow! We're both free, why don't we go out?" He said quickly. Jinyoung was clearly making an effort to compensate but I'm not going to settle for so little this time.

I huffed in annoyance. "You don't get it." I stepped closer to him. "I'm done being the only to compromise, you need to put first things first, Jinyoung! Please, I know I am a tough, dumb girl but I have dreams for my high school prom too! And it's our farewell. You can have thousands of contests to enter in the future. Surely you'll want to attend the party." 

His features strained in tension. "But Mirae, it's important for my career."

I kicked my foot on the wall near me in aggression. There was nothing I could say to change his mind, I realized. We both stayed silent, I just couldn't find the right words for us. My mood turned even sourer thinking how last week Yumi and I had gone on a shopping frenzy, choosing dresses and matching accessories for our outfits for prom. All for nothing.

I continued rounds because I needed some walking to clear my mind and think about what I need to do. He stayed. After a bit, I just wondered why he didn't go back to the common room, our tense silence wasn't exactly enjoyable. And nothing was preventing him from leaving, he wasn't compelled to continue patrolling. Nor was he allowed, we had passed curfew, but I forgot that until--

"Mr. Jinyoung?" Madame Jung's disapproving voice called out from the marble staircase. What business she had at this hour, I have no idea.

"Er, yes Madam?" He asked guiltily.

"What are you doing? The curfew began 30 minutes ago, you should be in your dormitory."

"Well, I was just...uh..I.." he trailed off. "I'll just go then. Sorry." Jinyoung hurried in the direction of the boy's dorm, her gaze following him sharply.

I braced myself for what was coming next.

"Miss Kang, where is Mr. Park?"

"He's... sick," I said lamely.

"Indeed?" She inquired doubtfully, evidently unconvinced with my defense. 

"Yes, it was flu, I think." I bit my lip.

"Well, if that's true, I can look for--"

But Chanyeol chose the unfortunate moment to burst in through the oak doors in the main lobby. His cheeks were flushed red and his hair stuck to his forehead with sweat. He skidded to a dramatic halt upon spotting Madam Jung, and his expression said caught-in-the-act with clarity that I nearly laughed.

Madam Jung stared at him for a long time before turning back to me, adding dryly, "He looks perfectly healthy to me, Miss Kang." She wasn't pleased with me and it's the first time. Can this day get any better?

"Uhh...yes," I said, shooting Chanyeol an apologetic look over her shoulder. He just shrugged and grinned, and it was that devil-may-care smile that Madam Jung caught.

"I'm glad you find this amusing, Mr. Park. I'd like to see you in detention tomorrow evening, make sure this never happens again. And I better not catch you lying for him again, Miss Kang." She added scornfully before continuing along her path.

I sighed, strode at last to meet Chanyeol. "Sorry," I said. "I just didn't expect to have an excuse for you to tell the teachers. The first thing I blurted out was that you were sick though it doesn't make any sense since she'd seen you in class this morning and I know, she would have loved to check in the hospital wing for you--"

"It's alright, Mirae." He was still grinning in amusement. "Really, it's just detention."

"But it's still unfair." I insisted. Then I asked, "You looked in a hurry when you entered."

"No, just wanted to have a good run."

When I was about to apologize again, he whispered. "Fancy a walk?" Without waiting for an answer, he took off his jacket and tossed it to me.

"Outside?" I asked as Chanyeol moved towards the front door again. I wrapped his denim around my shoulders.

"'Course." He winked at me.

"Uh...okay, as long as...it's safe, you know."

"Would I have suggested it if it wasn't?"

And so we started across the school grounds lit by bright moonlight and a few tall lamp posts, with a hint of clouds rumbling in distance. In the silence of the night, I found myself remembering my banter with Jinyoung earlier. I sighed wearily, my mind was tangled in a million thoughts. "If it helps, I think I may be going insanely selfish."

With a crooked smile, he replied. "You are a lot of things but selfish isn't one of them, flower."

I shoved him lightly. "No, I'm serious."

Chanyeol didn't respond at first, and when I looked at him it seemed that he was purposely avoiding my gaze. It was dark but I think he was frowning.

"You've done a great deal for me, I guess we'd never have to worry about you being selfish." He commented and turned to face me. I was surprised to see the glowing intensity in his dark eyes. The warmth that they emitted was alluring. There was no hint of amusement or humor in his expression, only an earnest look.

As though by silent agreement, we stopped walking. "Right." I croaked, tearing my eyes away from him, and started forward again. I found myself in the parking lot beside the long row of garages situated on the backside of the campus. The place looked so empty. I swear to god if I came here alone at this time of the night, I would have been scared dead. Chanyeol stopped beside me. The mischievous grin playing on his face led me to think that maybe he was leading us here all along. He walked ahead of me. Fumbling in his pocket, he pulled a pair of jangling keys. 

I watched him as he searched for a specific garage and unlocked it. For a minute, he disappeared inside leaving me alone wondering about his actions. Everything became crystal clear when he pulled out a sleek black motorbike, still grinning. They even brought that thing here?!

"Say hello to this baby." He announced, any hint that something had passed between us was gone. "Ready?"

"For what?" I raised my brows.

"For the best ride of your life." He answered and went inside the garage again. "Wait here, I'll be back."

"Why do I get the feeling that I should run away instead?" I muttered and his laugh echoed in the empty parking lot. He brought two helmets and tossed one at me. Not expecting this, I watched it stupidly clinking on the ground near my feet. He looked at it and then me, a smirk twisting its way. "You were supposed to catch that."

Wheeling the bike on the road, he began walking behind the school campuses. Suddenly realizing his motivation for bringing us out here, I refused. "I'm not doing it."

"Catching the helmet? Well yes, I realized that."

My glare deepened. "No -- riding. I'm not doing it."

"Sure you are."

"Absolutely not, Chanyeol."

"Absolutely yes, Mirae." We stared at each other, Chanyeol with a challenging glint in his eyes and I with a no-way-in-hell look. "Come on, I even gave you Baekhyun's precious bike."

"He'll kill you if he finds out."

"Only if you wreck it."

"Which is a possibility."

"It's a Comet GT650, Mirae. Do you even have an idea how much is it for?"

"I don't want to know."

He frowned at me. "I'm not moving until you get on this thing."

I sighed at my fate. "Fine." He led us again while I cowered behind thinking how bad it will seem if I run away right now. I reckoned that I'll probably reach the girl's dorm in fifteen minutes if I run at the highest speed I could muster. Damn, that's long. And this guy is a runner, he's going to catch me in a second. I looked ahead to where he was directed. It wasn't a main road with traffic, rather a side street, but still, I was terrified. Never in my life have I rode a bike, well of course except for watching my uncle ride one but that's hardly the same thing. I mounted the cursed vehicle gripping the handles tightly, nervousness making my stomach flutter uncomfortably.

I think I have officially lost my sanity: trying to drive a bike when I have no idea how to.

"It's not going to...realize I'm not Baekhyun and throw me off, is it?" I asked before I could help it.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, igniting the engine for me and holding my shoulder for support. The bike whirred to life. "It's not a horse, Mirae."

"I really hate you, you know?" I muttered.

"You always were a bad liar."

"If I die, it's your fault." I threatened, fastening the buckle of my helmet after wearing it. He took a handful of my and adjusted it to the side so that the heavy thing fixed properly over my head. Then he took the place beside me. "Oh, I really wanted to be a lawyer," I whined as an afterthought.

"If anything goes wrong I'm just behind you, I'll take control. Okay?" That was hardly any assurance.

I stepped on the accelerator. The bike shot faster than I expected and I leaned back instinctively, clutching the brakes tightly. The cursed thing screeched to a halt. "I'm giving you another chance to save your life," I warned him. The devil behind me kicked in the shin to continue and I forced every fiber of my existence to try again. I didn't proceed very fast, at snail speed seemingly but thank god, nobody was there to witness my charming talent. Chanyeol kept whispering instructions to me which proved quite helpful.

As the cold November wind hit my face, I realized that I was rather enjoying it. The beginning was hard. I had difficulty focusing my gaze ahead and keeping the thing moving smoothly all at once. The bike was at least running and I hadn't crashed into the sidewalk as I feared, mostly because Chanyeol was just behind me for support, guiding every move of mine, sometimes even reaching forward to adjust the side mirrors. But once I passed that stage, the surroundings started becoming known to me. I felt the fresh chill in the air, the rustling of the leaves. I enjoyed the calm and tranquility at this late hour of the night, it helped me soothe my jumpy nerves. My grip on the handles loosened and my stiff back relaxed a little. After a few laps on the back street of our school, I found Chanyeol whispering in my ear. "Not so bad, is it?"

"Yes," I admitted reluctantly. "Now that you've completed your self-assigned obligation, what are you going to do?" I teased. He helped me pull the brakes and halt it safely.

"Take you on a real bike ride, for starters," he declared.

What the- "Excuse me, but that was 'real' bike ride." I huffed, quickly getting off, stepping on the sidewalk.

"Oh no, Flower," Chanyeol stated, sliding up the driver's position with a smirk. "That is not how ride. Now stop wasting more time and get on!"

I whined. Knowing that I couldn't get a word in his stubborn head, I scowled and took the spot behind him this time. "So this is the part where you get me killed," I muttered, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"You'll want to hold tighter than that, flower."

"Tighter? Why-what are you--" I cut myself off with a shriek as Chanyeol suddenly leaned flat against the bike, causing us to shoot faster towards the opposite end of the road. His start was so smooth as he sped off the road effortlessly, leaving me in awe. Way faster than I did.

"Ready for some loop-o-loops?" He tilted his head a little ask.

"No!" I yelled but he paid me no heed and the sky was soon swinging dizzily over my head. It was mad, the whole idea was mad. The streetlights were flashing past my eyes in a whirl of bright colors, as we looped over and over. My screams to slow down and stop were drowned in the musical sound of his lively laughter. It was like sitting on a merry-go-round, with the jet speed of course. Everything was becoming hazing before my eyes. My fingernails dug around his collar bone, if he keeps going at this rate, I'm going to give him bruises. "I think I'm going to puke."

"Not on my shirt!"

I was incredibly grateful when he came to a stop, and I several deep breaths, unlocking my limbs that had latched with a death grip around him and the stupid bike. My head was still spinning a little. I swear I'm going to get my revenge one day. 

"If you thought that was fun--" Chanyeol began,

"I didn't!" I screamed through clenched teeth. I want to strangle this boy.

"--this next bit is going to be amazing!" He finished ignoring me again. "I love dives."

"Di--oh no. No, no, no, Park Chanyeol, don't you dare--"

He dared. My stomach hurtled to a pit as we suddenly hurled forward, I was unable to find my voice to even scream this time. I tried to guess at what this was, 70 km per hr, no maybe more. My body was shaking, my hands gripped on his shoulders but the sweat forming in my palms was making the hold slippery. What if I just fall from the back? I hid my face in his back but he called over his shoulder, "No, you have to look!"

Forcing myself to peak over his shoulder, my stomach lurched wildly as I realized how fast we were speeding off and continued to approach at an alarming rate. The surroundings were just a big blur. "Chanyeol. . ." I started warningly when a metal road sign appeared in our way. 

, we're going to crash.

"Chanyeol. . . .CHANYEOL. . . . the board!! Look at the--- PARK CHANYEOL----"

Does anything ever get into his head? I should have run away when I had the chance. I hid my face again, clutching onto him for dear life and bracing myself for the blow. But it never came. When I cracked open an eye again, I realized that he had swiveled the bike to the left at the last minute and now we were wheeling over the road softly, slowing down, and finally stopped where we'd started.

For a minute, I could only sit there, panting and trembling. Chanyeol's breathing had quickened too but when we got off, I knew the similarities between our condition stopped there. I dropped to the road, at the dear dear Earth, frozen in terror while he was grinning, eyes alight with excitement. I massaged my forehead to focus my gaze properly and stop the spinning inside it that hadn't stopped.

"You. . . . I'm going. . . . to. . . you. . ." I stuttered, trying to glare at him.

"You're shaking like a leaf, Mirae." He observed.

"You think?" I retorted.

He laughed and I got up turning back to the school. Or at least I tried. Apparently, my limbs hadn't quite caught up with the fact that I was safe on the ground again, and I nearly tripped after a taking step. But Chanyeol was suddenly there, grabbing my arm to prevent me from falling.

"Maybe you want to rest for a second?" He suggested, highly amused.

"I really really hate you, you know." I boiled. "Oh I wish---"

My words were cut off by a clap of thunder, and the clouds that had been floating above us all night let loose in torrential torrents. With a surprised gasp, Chanyeol and I sprinted inside the campus premises through the same secret back passage by which we had sneaked out. The nearest shed was the garage in the parking lot where he quickly parked the bike, locking it inside. The shelter was hard enough, we were already soaked, hair stuck to our heads, and uniform dripping massively with water. I was grateful for his jacket to conceal me better.

"Well?" He asked shoving hair out of his eyes.

"Well, what?"

"Do you wanna stay here or run back to the building?"

"Either way, we're supposed to be done with rounds by now so anything we do right now is risky."

"Don't you just love that?" He asked. "The risk? The thrill?" I smiled at him. 

"After you, flower." I took one look at the pounding rain, steeled myself, bolting from under the shed. Chanyeol's footsteps matched mine as the two of us ran at full speed across the grounds.

"Sorry for scaring you with the diving and such," Chanyeol shouted over the rain.

"It's okay, I'll make sure your death is quick and painless." 

His laughter was swallowed by another burst of ear-shattering thunder. We stumbled upon the entrance door of the building we'd left nearly an hour ago, I slipped beneath the roof. He bent down on his knees to catch his breath. "Well, that was fun." He straightened. "Should do it again sometime--" He stopped abruptly, his eyes widening at something behind me.

Hoping with my whole heart that it wasn't Madam Jung, I whirled around. The school caretaker holding a torch was on the far end of the corridor. , , .

"Looks like we're off again for a marathon," he announced, grinning. Seriously is there anything that could turn off this boy's energy level?

Grabbing my hand, he yanked me through a couple of corridors, and up the stairs. The man's voice rang behind us, "Stop! Who is there? Stop!" 

Which only made us run faster, of course. I let Chanyeol lead wherever he was taking me. He knows about this place better anyway. Down the corridor, he pulled me under a marble staircase.

"Are you s-sure we r-r-ran far en-enough?" I asked, my teeth chattering from the cold.

"Nope. But he's probably going to go all the way back to our dorms to check. Trust me."

I peeked out the corridor. There was no sign of the caretaker, any echo of his footsteps was absent. I let go and returned to hide under the staircase, barely fitting in the place. I leaned against the support, panting.

"Your teeth are really loud," Chanyeol whispered.

I giggled. "Sorry--" I started, but Chanyeol clapped a hand over my mouth and I realized why a moment later. Footsteps could be heard approaching the corridor. The guard's torch brightened the dimly lit corridor.

When the footsteps faded in a few seconds again, I breathed a sigh of relief. "We really need to start setting a better example as Head Boy and Head Girl." I joked, turning at him. His face glowed like gold in the faint lighting. But anything else I might have said caught in my throat as I found Chanyeol looking at me with the same intensity as he had on the grounds. I was suddenly aware that he was still holding my hand.

His eyes flickered to my lips, which seemed unexpectedly close to mine and my gaze moved to his. My breath hitched in my throat. 

As I met his intense gaze again, I realized two things simultaneously:
Chanyeol was going to kiss me.
And I was going to let him.

---

I know, it's exciting right! Let me know our thoughts through comments and leave a vote if you haven't!

Thank you so much for all of you who have been putting up with me and my endless story!