Chapter 28

It's Always You

 

                       

Prepare your asses for the longest chapter ever but it's safe to say that it's my personal favorite from all those I have written.

-----

(As if you need any reminding)
When the footsteps faded in a few seconds, I breathed a sigh of relief and Chanyeol released his hand. "We really need to start setting a better example as Head Boy and Head Girl." I joked, turning at him. His face glowed like gold in the faint lighting. But anything else I might have said caught in my throat as I found Chanyeol looking at me with the same intensity as he had on the grounds. I was suddenly aware that he was still holding my hand. 

His eyes flickered to my lips, which seemed unexpectedly close to mine and my gaze moved to his. My breath hitched in my throat.

As I met his intense gaze again, I realized two things simultaneously:
Chanyeol was going to kiss me.
And I was going to let him.

---

Chanyeol's face moved closer to mine, and I closed my eyes when it became too difficult to keep him in focus. I tried to remember our last kiss . . . wondering if his lips would feel familiar.

In fact, in less than a second, I discovered that they felt better than before, better than any kiss I've ever shared as I melted in his embrace. An electric charge sizzled through my veins and the stupid fluttering feeling in my stomach wouldn't stop. His lips were heavenly than any else's in the world. Especially when they are fixed against your own. I had hardly responded to him in the kiss when Chanyeol suddenly dropped my hand and pulled away. 

You know that thrill of doing something inexplicably wrong? I didn't. Until now, of course. And I think I only followed because it was Chanyeol, because there was comfort and assurance wherever he was concerned because nothing felt wrong with him. And I thought the same when he was kissing me, that sense of comfort was so strong that it clouded over my conscience. But the moment of euphoria died when his conscience took over.

My eyes flew open to find him already walking out from under the staircase. I followed hastily after him, my mind was still reeling from the shock of what had just happened. I couldn't think properly, my mind was still full of the image of Chanyeol leaning towards me, then the sensation of his lips slowly moving upon mine. But why had he moved away so abruptly?

Still too mentally disoriented to say anything to him, I continued to trail him back to the common room. His jaw locked firmly, he didn't once look at me and his quick strides suggested that he was trying to get away from me. I practically had to run to keep pace with him until we reached our common room, slowing as we reached the corridor of our respective rooms. At last, Chanyeol turned to face me, but the look on his face which could only be depicted as anger, froze me. A second later, he turned and disappeared into his room.

I stood staring after him, trying to make sense of his reaction. Was he angry with me? I don't see how's that possible. So is he angry with himself? Because . . . . he hadn't wanted to kiss me, the logical part of my brain answered.

 And that hurt more than I could ever imagine.

Whirling around, I dashed to my room. Immensely glad for the first time that I didn't share a room with my previous roommates because I didn't want to explain anything to anyone, not even Yumi. What was there to explain when nothing made sense to me? 

Throwing Chanyeol's rainwater-drenched jacket on the floor as I shut the door behind me, I stripped off the rest of my wet garments in the bathroom, stepped into a hot shower, hoping the rhythmic pounding of water would help me ease my mind. But my thoughts were too scattered to be assorted. As minutes passed, I kept returning to the same point of the evening---with Chanyeol kissing me and my realization that I have been wanting him to do that for a long time. How was it possible that I had been so blind for a long time, I had no idea.

Suddenly, my row with Jinyoung returned to my mind, and a new wave of panic broke over me. Oh ! What was I going to do about Jinyoung? I'd kissed someone else tonight, and not once had my boyfriend entered my mind. I shoved away that question for now---one thing at a time, Mirae.

Now that I see things in a different light, I realized that I had been slowly falling for him since the beginning of the term. Naturally, I got more drawn to him, trusting him, believing him, caring for him. I had been starting to notice he was actually good-looking for once, especially that one day in the changing lockers. It wasn't anger or disappointment I'd felt when I had caught Chanyeol kissing other girls. It was jealousy. I'd only mistaken the two because I was used to being angry with Chanyeol, it was a safe emotion where he was concerned.
God, I fancy him mad.

Setting my own twisted feelings aside for a moment, I turned to the more pressing issue of Chanyeol's feelings. There were moments from the past few months that suggested that he might feel something more for me than he claimed-- the most prominent being his obvious irritation with Jinyoung and the roses on our anniversary. How could I have never caught on to what was happening, that boy had been dropping hints all this time.

"You're not even going to try, are you?"

"I figured that you'd rather jump into an ocean and feed yourself to the sharks than kiss me."

"Trust me, Mirae. If any man passes up the chance to be with you, then he's the stupid one."

 "I er- sort of led her to believe that it was true because I didn't want her to know that it was actually because I was just sick of dating her already and welcomed the chance to end it."

"I only believe that if a guy likes a girl that much, then he at least deserves to be given a chance. To prove himself."

"What can you give me, Mirae? You don't even know what I want."

"There's also a lot more stuff that I like and haven't mentioned."

"No, I'm telling you, she'll come around one day. I just know it! She's just a tough nut to crack." 

"She's always been blind. At least when it comes to me."

"Well, it does bother me, sweetheart. But I'm very good at hiding my pain."

"Of course, if it hadn't been for me, Jinyoung would have never met you."

And that was the most devastating part--- he was the one who set me up with Jinyoung. My mind was enveloped in a web of questions and puzzles. If he truly liked me, shouldn't he have simply tried to keep Jinyoung or any guy away from me? That's general human behavior. No one in his right mind, especially not Chanyeol, would consent to set up the girl he fancied with another bloke. Still, more memories forced their way forward.

"You're bloody amazing, you know that?"

"Why? Because I'm covering up for you when it's completely against my morals or because I'm not mad at Jinyoung for being discrete?"

"No, because you're you," he said firmly.

"You make me nervous when you look at me like that."

"Shh...it'll be our li'l secret." 

Maybe Chanyeol fancied me mad too.

-

When I stepped out of the shower, my hands were wrinkled from the prolonged water exposure and I'd resolved to talk to Chanyeol. Right then. That's right. Because I wouldn't be able to sleep until I had answers. Well, I might not be able to sleep once I did have them either but at least I'd know. And it's not easy to sort out everything that I'm feeling for him as well, maybe he can show me a clearer vision. For once in my life, I wanted to know where Chanyeol and I stood.

I didn't care that it was well after midnight, or that he might be asleep. I'd pound on his door until he woke up. The thing that did bother me was the tiny problem of what was I going to say to him when he would be in front of me. Hey Chanyeol, just thought you should know I wished you hadn't pulled back from that kiss earlier, in fact, I'd like to continue-- yeah that would go well.
Maybe I shouldn't say anything and wait to see his reaction?

After tying my nightdress around my waist, I set out to his room, my wet hair still dripping. What if he's still angry? Well, that could be a starting point, to ask him to explain. Knowing Chanyeol for years, anger really takes everything out from him.

As I reached his door, I had a feeling this wouldn't be easy.

Overcome by my newly found courage, I knocked firmly three times.
No reply.
After waiting for another minute with no answer, I felt my determination puncturing. Pulling myself together, I took a deep breath and raised my fist to knock again, wondering how our conversation would even go on.

"Mirae?"

A confused and familiar voice called out from behind me. I whipped around, my fist raised stupidly in the air.

"Jinyoung." I gasped in surprise, quickly dropping my hand and trying to force the explosion of emotions (mostly ranging from anxiety, guilt, and I-am-a-horrible-person) elicited by the sight of him staring up at me in question. Now what. "Uh . . ." I started, no ready-made excuse coming to my mind to explain what I might be doing outside Chanyeol's room in the middle of the night.

"Mirae?"

Here came a different voice from behind me, stirring an entirely new wave of emotions through me. Chanyeol on one side, Jinyoung on the other. I think I'm going to have a heart attack before this night ends, I thought resentfully turning to find Chanyeol pulling a shirt over his shower-wet hair. Well, that explains why it took him so long to answer the door, he had to . . . . put on clothes. Turning red, I shifted my gaze back to Jinyoung.

"What are you doing here so late?" Jinyoung's voice was curious, not accusatory.

"I . . . um, well," I began. "I was--" planning to continue where Chanyeol and I left. I mean, what was I doing? I shouldn't be talking to Chanyeol right now! How could I ever consider trying to figure out anything with him before settling anything with Jinyoung? The poor guy doesn't even have an idea about my dual-faced heart. Lord, I am a horrible girlfriend. "I was just coming to get the Physics textbook Chanyeol borrowed from me the other day." I glanced at Chanyeol, who looked displeased at the situation and made no effort to hide it. He snorted and I tried not to wince. "You know, since you and I are going out tomorrow, I just thought I should get it before I...forgot..."

Well, that's probably the most pathetic lie I've ever told.

I glanced over my shoulder to the guy scowling at us and threw him a silent pleading look to act along with me. He knows why I came to his room tonight. I don't want Jinyoung to know anything right now. Please, help me. My helpless stature shook as the door slammed on my face. I found Chanyeol disappeared behind in his room, plainly refusing to save me. And it was clear that he was irritated. Again. But this time I was certain it was directed towards me.

Looking back at Jinyoung, I could tell he hadn't bought the story I fed him about my physics book. Plus, Chanyeol's reaction didn't exactly help either. Being the sweet guy Jinyoung is, he didn't say anything but the oddly sad expression in his eyes heightened my guilt.
I wanted to curse at Chanyeol for letting me down, it was him who started the story by kissing me, how can he leave me all on my own in this mess.

"Well, if that's--" Jinyoung started finally, but was interrupted by Chanyeol's door opening again.

Wordlessly, and with a completely blank expression, Chanyeol held out his Physics book to me. that's why he left so abruptly. A tight knot formed in the pit of my stomach. I took it with a quiet, ashamed murmur of thanks. Chanyeol nodded mutely, without betraying a hint of what he might be thinking, shut himself in his room again.

I retraced my steps back to Jinyoung who seemed more relieved than before. "So, I'll meet you at eleven tomorrow, then?"

"Yes, eleven." I agreed quickly, and he also moved to return to his dormitory holding a glass of water in his hand.

When I got back to my room, I set Chanyeol's book on my desk, kicked off my slippers, and fell onto my bed, my mind and heart were exhausted beyond thought.

Well, so much for figuring out where Chanyeol and I stood.

-

Somehow I managed to sleep late the next morning, but when I woke up, it was with the absolute knowledge that today was going to be an awful day. Dragging myself out of bed, I threw on the nearest pain of clean clothes and hurried down. I didn't run into Chanyeol for which I was supremely grateful. But I didn't see Yumi either and I was extremely desperate for her advice. If there was anyone who could show the direction to my disarrayed love life, it was her.

However, as a person who could keep me calm when I was close to ripping my hair out, Junmyun was a close second. So, when I saw him sitting on his own in the hall having breakfast, I immediately moved to sit across him.

"Morning Mirae." He greeted with a smile.

"Junmyun I'm a bloody coward," I announced.

He raised his eyebrows slightly. "Is that so? Sorry to hear it."

I smiled despite myself. "Thanks, just needed to tell someone that. Anyways, how are you?"

"Better than you, I'm assuming." He frowned. "Anything else you 'needed to tell someone?' Because I feel like I owe you."

"For what?"

"I'm meeting up with Joohyun today." He said with an embarrassed sort of grin.

Momentarily thrown, it took me a minute to absorb that Joohyun was the girl I urged him to talk to after the final. I ran my gaze over him. I noticed he was dressed up decently, his blue coat fitted him. His dark hair was swept up but what stood out the most was the ecstatic radiance on his face. "You are?" I grinned back at him. It made me set my worries aside momentarily. "Really? Aww, Junmyun you have no idea how happy that makes me, especially today."

"Uh, thanks." He eyed me concernedly. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, I'm most definitely not okay, but . . . well, I'm going to be, it might take a few centuries, but I'll be back to normal eventually," I replied miserable, my mind running over last night's memories. My bickering with Jinyoung, Chanyeol's extremely dangerous and fun bike ride, our short kiss following my sudden realization of my true feelings. And then me making a fool of myself in front of both of them at the end.

Junmyun didn't seem to know whether to laugh or look concerned. Saving him doing both, I added quickly, "So where are your usual partners in crime?"

"Baekhyun considers it a crime to get up before ten on a Saturday and Chanyeol isn't meeting Hyori until noon. Though I'm happy they're not here, they would only tease me."

I barely heard his last sentence, caught up as I was with the one preceding it. "Chanyeol . . . . is what?" I asked weakly.

"He's going out with Hyori . . . well, I can't remember her surname, but she's in Arts group. And--"

"No, I know who she is." I cut him, a little harshly. Junmyun just raised his eyebrows, he seemed to ask something, but I interrupted him again. "Is he dating her?"

"What?"

"Chanyeol," I said through gritted teeth, urgency obvious from my tone. "Is he taking her on a date?" I said slowly this time.

Junmyun shrugged. "Dunno. He's taking her to prom so he said--"

"What?" I gulped, realization slowly taking over me. I thought he wasn't seeing her anymore. Are they a thing? Why didn't Chanyeol tell me he'd asked someone out? Would I have kissed him back if I knew? "He-he's . . . . prom, oh that's--that's nice."

Junmyun was totally suspicious now judging by the way he was eyeing me now, but he answered anyway. "Yeah, that girl, Hyori, is his prom date and he said that it's only fair if he takes her out for lunch before that, you know to get to know her and all."

Oh, so he didn't get to know her during all those steamy make-out sessions? "Well, that's ridiculous." 

Junmyun opened his mouth but was interrupted by Jinyoung's arrival. "Morning, you two." He leaned in to kiss me. Our fight last night and awkward meeting outside the Head dorm was evidently forgotten. Or maybe he chose to ignore it.

, the guilt is going to kill me today, I thought as I tried to smile normally.

I somehow survived the small talk afterward but it didn't distract me from my current mental state. I let the guys do most of the talking while my mind's rusted wheels rolled and rolled. Junymun's information was nagging me. But then, as we got up to leave, Jinyoung and I encountered Chanyeol on our way out, and I nearly lost it again. He was also wearing a long coat, ready for his 'date'. He didn't look angry at least, but I couldn't handle meeting his eyes for more than two seconds so I can't say for sure.

"Hey, Chanyeol." Jinyoung greeted him, and I might have been imagining it, but he almost sounded defensive.

"Rookie." He nodded. "Mirae." He added quietly, and I forced myself to look at him again and nodded back because I didn't trust myself, I could start screaming or sobbing if I opened my mouth. And I really don't want to do either. 

It felt odd hearing him say my name. My ears were used to being called Flower in that sweet, teasing tone he uses. The tension was so thick that it felt suffocating. Nothing made sense and what was more frustrating than that was the fact that Chanyeol's wasn't even trying to make sense with me. He wasn't making an attempt to talk to me about last night. It must have meant something to him too, right?

I turned away before Chanyeol could say anything and let Jinyoung lead me outside.

-

If someone asked me to repeat Jinyoung's and my conversation during our walk to the town, I wouldn't be able to reproduce a single word. Honestly, it was a wonder I was able to keep replying. The place was crawling with students, girls mostly, who were doing last-minute shopping for prom the next day. Hordes and hordes of females milled in and out of apparel and accessory brands. They were smiling and laughing. But I could only stare at the roads wearily thinking how Chanyeol and I zoomed past them last night.

I tried holding Jinyoung's hand, I looked into his eyes which used to be my weakest point. I did everything I could to be sure of my feelings but I hardly felt anything. To be honest, Chanyeol's lack of response was making me rethink what I'd felt last night. Did I really feel something for him in a different way? Of course, I did. And even if it wasn't, deep in my heart, I knew I'd wronged Jinyoung. 

I started thinking that no matter how our interests matched; our taste of books and other opinions... but honestly the connection between us ended there. Our hearts didn't really live in the same space. Jinyoung and I weren't as compatible as I forced myself to think that we were. Otherwise, would I have to compromise so much as I had in the last few weeks? Jinyoung is great, hell he's my first, real breathing boyfriend though just right then, it felt like it was two friends hanging out rather than a couple on a date.

We walked aimlessly around the streets for an hour, and by the time we stopped for a drink at Coffee Corner, I couldn't hold it any longer.

"Jinyoung I have to talk to you," I said, my voice trembling slightly.

He raised an eyebrow. "What do you think we've been doing for the past hour?"

Taking a deep breath, I continued, "No, I mean I have to tell you something . . . .  something serious."

Looking curious and a little concerned, Jinyoung asked, "What is it?"

I glanced up at the happily chattering crowd, suddenly envious of everyone who was having a normal relaxing Saturday, who were free from emotional trauma. Well, all right, 'emotional trauma' is dramatic but--

"Mirae." Jinyoung called. I realized that I had lost in my thoughts. Again.

"Sorry," I said, shaking myself. "Wanna go somewhere else?"

"Why?" He shrugged looking over students happily enjoying their meals. "No one's paying attention to us, they won't overhear whatever you've got to say."

The change of location isn't for my sake, I thought irritably. but . . . if he wants to do it here, so be it. I know it wasn't fair since Jinyoung had no idea what was coming but I hated being unfaithful to him. I wanted to come clean about everything so I couldn't stand keeping it from him anymore.

"Chanyeol kissed me last night." I blurted, surprising myself how blunt I sounded.

Jinyoung just stared at me for a moment with blank eyes. Then, his expression hardened as he began to rise from his seat, he growled, "I'll kill him."

"No, wait!!" I spoke hurriedly, grabbing his sleeve to stop him, taken aback by his unexpected hostility. Slowly, Jinyoung sank back down, an angry look looming in his eyes. "It's not--I mean, Chanyeol was . . ." I stopped, knowing that what I was about to say would break his heart. And for a second, I thought I couldn't do that to him.

But I had to say it. "He was the one who pulled away first."

Jinyoung seemed shocked into silence once more, the anger in his eyes turning into puzzlement. Not wanting to experience the look in his eyes once he figured it out, I looked down at my hands, which were clenched tightly upon the wooden table. My ears blocked out every other noise in the cafe. Every shred of my existence tensed up.

"Oh," Jinyoung finally muttered quietly. "So you . . . that's why you were-" He trailed off again as my odd behavior from last night started making sense to him. He looked up at me solemnly. "You're breaking up with me." It wasn't a question.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, my eyes were becoming moist. He's probably the sweetest guy I've ever met and hurting him like this made it so hard for me. The thought of losing him wasn't one I was really prepared for. "I know it's completely unfair, horrible, and terrible of me, and I--"

"Please, don't apologize." Jinyoung's voice was hard again.

Meeting his eyes, at last, I felt another stab of guilt. "Sorry," I repeated without thinking. " I mean--I just . . . I don't know what to say Jinyoung, and I know you'll probably hate me forever for doing this, I swear I never meant to---"

"I don't hate you." He cut in. "I could never hate you, Mirae."

God, why is he so nice. "Well, that's big of you," I muttered, blinking back tears.

"So . . ." He paused. "You and Chanyeol . . "

"No!" I quickly took over. "No, Jinyoung, there's nothing going on. I could never cheat on you or--or anything, trust me--

He nodded, silencing my tongue again. I peered at him anxiously, trying to figure out if he believed me or not. Hell, this is why I'm breaking up with him, because I don't want to be committed to two people, I hated playing with either of them. 

 "Look, if you want to scream, yell at me, I'll understand--we can go outside, or you can do it here cause a big, dramatic scene and embarrass me, God knows I deserve it . . ." I finished helplessly.

At that, Jinyoung smiled, though it didn't erase the sadness in his eyes. "No, that's fine. I believe you." We were quiet for a few minutes and I felt horrendous for doing this to a person so special to me, causing an uneasy sensation to erupt in my stomach. "I-I know I shouldn't be saying this but I hope we can stay as friends-"

"I'll think about that." He interrupted. "I-uh, I sort of promised a friend that I'd bring him back some chocolate since he's busy with homework. I should- uh probably go and do that."

"Right," I said, too quickly. "Yeah, good, don't let me keep you." I babbled, grimacing at my words once they were out.

Jinyoung smiled wryly. "I wasn't under the impression that you were." He lifted from his seat and half-smiled, half-sad. "It was nice knowing you, Mirae." He walked towards the door, leaving me cursing my idiocy.

"Well, I possibly couldn't have done a worse job at that," I said to myself, tears sprang to my eyes and began to fall down my cheeks.
I let them come, ducking my head but otherwise making no effort to hide the fact that I was openly crying in a public place. I was really beyond caring at this moment. It was not very obvious however because Baekhyun didn't notice until he was practically beside me.

"Mirae!" I heard him call from somewhere in the middle of the cafe but I didn't look up. "What are you doing here all by yourself? I thought you--Mirae, are you all right?!" he asked, a worried note slipping in his teasing voice as slid on the chair beside me.

"Do I look all right?" I tried to sound cross but my shaky voice wasn't helping much.

"No." He answered. "Although the tears in your eyes make them look more striking, and with that red nose you could pull off anyone."

I let out a watery laugh, drying my tears from the end of my sleeve. "What, no handkerchief for your damsel in distress?"

Baekhyun grinned. "You're not my damsel in distress, dear. And secondly, I'd look like an idiot walking around with a handkerchief." He handed me a tissue from the stack on the table.

I rolled my eyes. "You'd only look like a gentleman." I blew my nose on the tissue loudly.

"How attractive." He observed.

"Oh shut it. You should be listening to my tales of woe and be sympathetic instead of mocking me."

"Tales of woe? Sounds quite serious." He raised a brow.

I glared at him. "If you're going to be so horrible--"

"Okay, okay. I'll be good. I promise. What has befallen you, my lady?"

My smile faded as I spoke. "Jinyoung and I broke up."

No longer grinning, Baekhyun's eyes widened. He jerked his head towards the door. "Want me to find him and give him a good kick up his--"

"No, no," I said hastily. "I broke up with him."

"About time," Baekhyun smirked. I glared at him again, he spoke quickly. "Sorry, so, what happened?"

"I, well---I'm a terrible person." I sighed.

"I find that extremely hard to believe."

My lips lifted up a little. "Well, thanks but it's true."

"But, I don't think Jinyoung is completely blameless here." He commented.

"Oh no, he is," I remarked bitterly. "He didn't even get mad. I mean he was actually understanding. As I was breaking up with him he just sat there like, 'I could never hate you, Mirae' . . .  What kind of person is so nice when they're being dumped? The only time he showed any kind of proper anger was when I told him---" I stopped myself abruptly, just in time.

"When you told him what?" Baekhyun asked.

"Nothing it's . . . not important."

To my relief, Baekhyun just shrugged. As I wiped away the last of my tears, I noticed him gazing thoughtfully at a distance. He added, "But you're not a terrible person. Trust me on this, you're far away from all of the actual selfish people." His voice was suddenly hard.

"Like who?"

"Like Junmyun's dad who didn't consider his family once before making all that illegal money. Or my . . . brother who never thought about my parents when he started taking drugs and turned himself into an addict."

"Hmm.." I nodded solemnly. "You're right, probably." 

"Did I mention I asked out Naeun?" He asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. This is the third time this morning when I'm finding out about someone asking someone out. For a minute, I forgot prom. Prom! Oh, .

"The twin?"

"Yes." He answered proudly, puffing up his chest. "And I made sure that some bloke is taking the other one too, so I don't get confused."

I laughed. "Fingers crossed for your luck."

But Baekhyun wasn't paying me attention now. His gaze was fixed at a point over my shoulder, and he was grinning brightly. I turned around for a glance, and my stomach and heart and everything else inside me lurched in unison at the sight of Chanyeol and Hyori entering Coffee Corner, hand in hand.

Turning back to Baekhyun, I quickly whispered, "Baekhyun, I know it won't make any sense, but please, please don't---"

"Hey mate!" He yelled to get Chanyeol's attention, hands waving wildly.

"---call them over." I finished resentfully.

"What was that, Mirae?" Baekhyun asked, finally turning to me. After making sure, my tears were completely dried out, I glared daggers at him as he moved to sit on the chair beside me to allow Chanyeol and Hyori to occupy the same table as us. And they did in a moment.

When I finally worked up the courage to look at Chanyeol, he was grinning at Baekhyun, and I got a clear impression that he was purposely ignoring me. Tsk, he could have acknowledged my presence too. Wasn't so shy and reserved last night, was he?

Chanyeol said, "Mate, what are you doing here?" without any sort of greeting to me, my eyes narrowed at that. I didn't like the tone. Not to mention I was a bit offended too-- what does he mean; what was Baekhyun doing here? Was I not worthy of his attention either?

"Mirae and I have just been having a lovely chat about--er-" He looked at me and I raised my eyebrows at him, challenging him to say a single more word and be strangled by my bare hands. Recognizing my threat, he continued, "--things. She's a wonderful conversationalist, you know?"

Chanyeol just smiled in response, though it almost seemed almost strained. "Hyori, this is one of my best friends, Baekhyun." The two shook hands with a short nod.
Silence.
Baekhyun kept glancing between us for a brief pause expectantly but couldn't stop himself from adding, after throwing a confused look at Chanyeol, "And this is Kang Mirae."

"Yes, I think we've met," Hyroi replied as I (reluctantly) reached forward to shake hands with her when Baekhyun introduced me. "Or at least, Chanyeol has mentioned you."

Has he indeed? I thought. Did he also happen to mention the fact that he kissed me last night. And why is she making it sound like they're old sweethearts who meet every Saturday for a chit-chat?

I couldn't help addressing Chanyeol while referring to our first night here. "Finally met up with her again, have you?"

Finally enjoying him look at me for the first time since he sat down here; his reaction was unexpected, to my despair. He frowned at me, looking quite disappointed. Anyways it was Hyori who answered, laughing, "Yes, we took care of that a while ago." She added with a sultry wink direction at Chanyeol, forcing me to relive that moment in the football locker room the other day, only making me angrier.

Fighting the urge to throw something--preferably something harder--and preferably at Chanyeol's head, I clenched my hands together under the table.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Baekhyun's gaze slide down to my tightly clasped hands, and then up to my face. Obviously, making an effort to change the topic, he asked, "Did you spot Junmyun and his lady love anywhere? I thought you said you were going on a double date with the pair of them?"

My eyes flicked at Chanyeol sharply while his landed on mine at the same time. Date. A in date. God, I hate him.

Clearing his throat awkwardly, Chanyeol replied, "No, I could never even think of suggesting that, he would have bitten my head off." 

How long can he ignore me? There is prom tomorrow, we have classes on Monday, not to mention the daily rounds we're supposed to do. If this is his strategy to deal with me, it's  Fuming with anger, I suddenly remembered something. "Aren't you supposed to be in detention right now?"

He smirked at me. "Yeah, but I rescheduled it."

"Rescheduled it?" I repeated, unbelievingly. Madame Jung doesn't simply let one off of detention according to their liking. She seemed pretty pissed off last night but agreed to loosen him up today? My mouth pressed into a thin line.

"Yep. Told her that I had something important to take care of so she's having me come tomorrow instead." There was a smug expression on his face.

I chuckled humorlessly. "No, you made her reschedule because you had a date," I emphasized the last word bitingly. I winced inwardly at the way it sounded.

"Well, I didn't tell her that. Do you think I'm an idiot?" Chanyeol sighed.

"Yes." I automatically answered. You're an idiot for making me feel this way.

Caught off guard, Chanyeol's forehead creased a little as he explained, "Anyway, I told her we had some important Head stuff to discuss--"

"And if she asks me about it later, am I supposed to lie for you?" I demanded in a scathing voice.

"No, that's not what I... uh-I mean, yes, it'd be nice if you would but--"

"Okay great."

Chanyeol frowned at me again. I could feel Baekhyun's amused eye on me again while Hyori inspected her nails idly. "I didn't lie to her just because I assumed you'd lie for me, you know."

"Fine, whatever," I stated.

"Look I'm trying to-"

"Just---drop it, Chanyeol, okay? It doesn't matter, none of it does." I snapped at him and looked away, the burning sensation in my eyes returning again.

He gaped at my outburst for a moment and then replied, "Right, well, since you've obviously got your knickers in a twist, I don't see the need for us to stay." Chanyeol announced shortly. "Good luck with this one mate."

Without looking to see if Hyori was following him, Chanyeol stood and strode angrily towards the door. Hyori, who was already getting impatient, was quick to follow him.

As soon as they'd left, I huffed and sat back. I felt defeated, but the question is, who won? "Don't see how he's got any right to be pissed off at me," I muttered to myself. Chanyeol's behavior was so strange and I didn't like it one bit.

Fixing me with a half-amused, half-surprised look, Baekhyun asked, "What was all that about?"

"All what?" I answered innocently.

He sighed. "Don't play cute with me, Mirae. You looked ready to jump across the table and strangle the pair of them."

I shook my head. "You're not getting anything out of me so you might as well give up now."

Grinning, he slapped the table and rose. "Well, you need a drink."

"What, no I didn't say that--" I protested. But he was already making his way towards the bar, ignoring my feeble attempts to protest.

Baekhyun soon returned balancing two faintly smoking drinks in his hand. Placing both of them before me, he went back and brought more for him. I hope he knows he's the one paying for everything. He instructed, "Vodka shot. Fire Soju." pointing to the drinks in turn. He raised his eyebrows at me. "Ready?"

"No," I said, though I copied his actions. Toasting me with his glass, Baekhyun expertly threw back the drink down his throat, finishing it in two large gulps. I took a tentative sip of mine, wincing as the liquid burnt the back of my throat. I made a disgusted face and put down the drink on the table immediately. Looking up at him again, I found Baekhyun shaking his head in disappointment.

"It's a shot, Mirae." He said as though explaining something quite obvious to a child who should have known better. "You don't sip it. Honestly, have I told you nothing about drinking?"

"No," I answered truthfully.

"Oh-- well. I suppose it's time I imparted some of my vast and impressive knowledge upon you, eh?"

"Er, okay."

"Well, go on then." Baekhyun said, waving his hand at my drink.

Wrinkling my nose, and knowing I'd probably regret it, I raised the glass to my lips again, swallowing the stuff as quickly as I could.

-

After the third drink that day, the numbness of the events just settled in. I didn't feel anything. We had lost track of time. I was surprised to see the dusky sky as we stumbled our way back to school, arms cast around each other for balance.

"Too many bloody ing stairs in this sodding school," I grumbled as my foot tripped at the staircase the third time once we have stepped inside. Baekhyun yanked me up. It's a wonder he hadn't passed out. That boy has a small tolerance at parties.

"Language, Mirae." Baekhyun scolded. "You're behaving appallingly for someone in your honorable position--- Head Girls shouldn't be found stumbling back to their dorms, after drinking like mad, swearing at everything that comes in front of them."

"Oh please." I rolled my eyes. "It's your fault anyway."

Baekhyun laughed. "You're fun when you're drunk."

"And when I'm not?" I shot back.

"Oh, you're fun then too, just . . . in a different way."

The common room was fairly noisy and crowded, with it being a Saturday evening. I squinted my eyes, it was too bright there for my liking and my eyes were starting to burn. Yumi was the first one to spot us as we tumbled inside in one piece. She strode towards up, a little put out. "I haven't seen you in ages, Mirae, where were---is she drunk?"

"Yumi, thank God you're here!" I whined, clutching her hands desperately. "I need your brilliant . . . . ada- advice!"

"You are drunk." my best friend stated.

"My life is absolute and utter crap." I declared and burped loudly.

Before she could inquire further, a new voice rang out. "Thank god Mirae, you're there." I spun towards the voice and saw Chanyeol starting towards us from the couch beside the fireplace. He didn't seem as annoyed as he was in the morning. "I was starting to wonder--what's wrong with you?" He frowned as he neared me. Wonder what?

"Oh that's nice . . .  especially since you're the one who's wrong." I glared at him.

He raised a brow. "And you're the one who is . . .drunk?" He glanced at Baekhyun and Yumi for confirmation. His best mate grinned back, looking proud to get me so wasted and drunk.

"His fault." I pointed at Baekhyun.

"You needed it." He announced cheekily. "Besides, I got you back on time, didn't I?" Then he added to Chanyeol, "And now I'll leave her in your capable hands."

"Wait." I yelped as Baekhyun turned and left. "But I don't--there's nothing--I want nothing to do with his hands!!"

Chanyeol gave me another stunning look. Great, he must think I am crazy. Then he sighed helplessly. "It's time for rounds but I don't think you can handle it tonight. I'll just leave her with you then?" He addressed Yumi. She nodded. 

Chanyeol turned towards the door to start with rounds by himself, I declared to my best friend, "I hate him, Yumi, I really do. You have no idea what he's done--"

"Mirae." She spoke in a forced whisper. "Do you really want to announce your personal problems to the entire common room?" I looked around and discovered that quite a number of people were listening to my banter with interest. Wonderful.

So, we made our way to the base of the stairs (because my wobbly legs couldn't make it to another set of stairs) and I collapsed on them immediately. She joined me on the floor. At least we had privacy here if we spoke in a hushed tone.

So I spilled everything, starting from The Incident, as I've been calling it in my head. I made sure she knew all the near heart attacks I've had since last night. My burning eyes became a little moist as I told her how I broke up with Jinyoung. When I finally fell silent, I could feel the effects of alcohol wearing off, forecasting a bad headache.

Yumi was silent for a long time. "Wow."

I laughed humorlessly. "I know. I mean what kind of person spends her whole life rejecting a guy, then thinks she's in love with somebody else. Then decides a month later that she isn't, and then, a month after that, realizes she fancies that old guy like crazy?"

She grinned, taking my hands in hers and caressed it. "You're right. You need to talk to Chanyeol."

"I tried last night, it didn't exactly work." 

"That was hardly an effort." She scoffed.

"But I can't!" I groaned.

"Why?"

"Because what if he doesn't, I mean he went on a date today! He seems completely normal while I'm the one having a nervous breakdown and acting like a hopeless mental person."

"You are going to go insane if you don't say anything to him." She said.

I leaned my head against her shoulder and she wrapped her hands around me. Gosh, I've missed hugging her like this. "I can't start anything with Chanyeol, it'll be unfair with Jinyoung and make me seem completely heartless, which I suppose, I sort of I am. . . ."

"You'll figure it out. I know you will." I don't understand how she can be so rational at this moment, especially about my life that has no direction at this moment. I broke up with my first ever boyfriend who was probably more sincere with me than I thought, entirely ruined my friendship with Chanyeol, and to top it all off, I'm as single as a pringle for the prom tomorrow.

I smiled at her, my eyes drooping. "I'm surprised you haven't said 'I told you so' yet. Your crazy theories proved right, after all."

"Well, I'd nearly given up on you, to tell you the truth."

Her words hit harder than she intended. The thing is, ever since last night, I couldn't help but think that perhaps Chanyeol had given up on me too. Especially since this morning with Hyori. And I don't think I can change that if it's true.

-

When we re-entered the almost empty common room sometime later, Yumi skipped off to dinner. My head was pounding with pain and every bone in my body was crushed to death. I didn't join her, knowing that any food bite's fate was being puked out in a few hours after all the alcohol I had in my system.Throwing my hair into a messy ponytail, I brought a few books with me to start on homework but I doubt that I am going to get anything done. Plopping on the couch, I tossed my books aside as expected and leaned my head on the backrest, trying to ease my throbbing mind until---

"You know they make beds for sleeping."

I cracked an eyelid and found Chanyeol sitting across me, probably after completing rounds. "Yes, that would be nice, if my head didn't feel like someone was beating it with a hammer."

I shifted a little to take a look at our surroundings, not many were around. Something in the calmness reminded me of last night. Woah, things really did turn one-eighty degrees in 24 hours. He shrugged and reached for his school bag. Is he starting homework on a Saturday night, especially the night before prom?

He shuffled inside his bag, searching for something. Then he suddenly glanced at me uncomfortably. "What?"

Clearing his throat, he said quickly, "Er, nothing---it's just, I was going to start with Physics, but you, er . . . still have my book."

An awkward silence descended upon us, flooding my mind with last night's memories for the nth time today. I bit my lip. "Right," I said, staring at his knee, not being able to bring myself to look in his eyes that were boring into me. "I can get it if you want to."

"No don't worry, I can get it done tomorrow." he smiled, taking his Anthropology notes out.

As I massaged my forehead, I watched him work in silence, my mind alternating between a dire need to shout at him for being such an about everything and the urge to leap across the table and snog the daylights out of him and forget everything.
It was after ten minutes of this struggle that he suddenly looked up at me from his work. The fire blazing in the fireplace reflected in his spectacles, and those brown orbs making them glow radiantly. I didn't even make an effort to hide the fact that I was caught watching him. I felt my heart jump up to my throat as I considered one fearful (and wonderful) second that he'd read my mind.
But what he said next was completely unexpected.

"We're not dating."

I was dumbstruck. My lips parted a little hearing that confession that completely made no sense to me. What is he trying to say?! The thudding in my chest accelerated though I couldn't help replying, "Uhh . . . yes I know. I do recall refusing a large number of proposals from you in the previous years." 

That's great, Mirae, do what you're best at. Drive him further away.

"Not us, Mirae--" He rolled his eyes. "--Hyori and I. She asked me out a couple of days ago to prom and I agreed, because you know, she's a fun girl and I've known her for some while, but there's nothing---I mean we're not . . . seeing each other." he finished.

I broke eye contact first. "Oh, okay." I picked a stray hair on my skirt, wondering why he was telling this.

Chanyeol's pursed into a tight line. "I thought you should know because you seemed... well earlier, you were--"

"It didn't have anything to do with that," I cut in, wondering where all these lies were coming from and wishing I could stop them. "But, thanks for telling me anyway."

Chanyeol nodded and returned to his homework, frowning slightly this time.

"Jinyoung and I broke up," I announced abruptly. Eyes widening, he looked up so fast it was a wonder he didn't snap his neck into two.

"You did?" Chanyeol asked, sounding actually surprised, though it only made me feel more hopeless about the grand mess I've landed myself into. I searched his face for any sign of happiness or relief. I found none. And when he added, "I'm sorry." as though he genuinely meant it, I had to fight so hard to swallow the frustrated scream that threatened to burst from my lips.

I nodded.

"Eh, why?" He inquired uncertainly.

I eyed him meaningfully, pursed my lips tight, and looked away again, unable to speak another word. The realization hit him after a minute as he nodded very slightly.

"Mirae, about the . . . . um, other thing," Chanyeol continued as he shifted in his seat, and it was I who looked up quickly this time, "I mean last night, it---it was a- I shouldn't have . . . ."

Hearing his attempt to write off our kiss as a disaster was the final blow, and suddenly, I didn't think I could stand being near him another minute. This is the moment. As I gaped at him incredulously, my eyes, I'm sure betrayed everything I was feeling at the moment. 

Chanyeol reached over, his touch on my wrist was as light as a feather. "Look, it was wrong. . . I-I never meant to-- no, I mean I did, but I know you aren't . . . what I mean is that it was a big mistake--"

I removed my wrist from his grip gently, and managed to say, "It's okay, you've obviously moved on, so we'll . . .  just pretend it never happened." I had to bite the insides of my cheek as I grabbed my books and made to leave.

"Mirae--" Chanyeol started again.

I turned back, tears pooling in my eyes, and because I didn't want to hear anything else he had to say, (that is if he can come up with something more painful) I interrupted him, "Don't let me forget to give you your book tomorrow, yeah?"

He clearly wanted to say something, evident from the uncertain furrow between his eyes and mouth still parted but in the end, he settled for nodding.

I nodded back, without even an attempt to smile. I walked quickly towards the girl's staircase before the tears began to fall.

-

Eunji flipped through November High Cut issue chewing a gum that produced a noisy sound which was really getting to me.

"Mirae, what are you?" She asked.

"Depressed."

"No--I mean, what sign?"

"Dunno . . . Cancer?" I muttered.
After succumbing to a good cry in my room, I decided to call it a girl's night and spend the night in my old dorm. Mostly because the white empty walls and quiet room was driving me nuts and also because I needed to take my mind off the recent events. For a girl who has led eighteen pretty uneventful and dull years, I'd experienced too much to digest. As I lay on my stomach on Yumi's bed, who was working on the History assignment in the library, chatting with Eunmi and Eunji was helping. They proved to have some spicy gossip. The girls were more than happy to show off their dresses they would wear tomorrow and bragged about their handsome dates which, once again, reminded me that I'm the only one in probably the entire school without a date.

"Okay, lemme check." Eunji's head disappeared behind the magazine bearing a large poster of SHINee.

I rolled my eyes. "Let me guess, it says that I have a failed love story and a terribly messed up life which needs to be set right otherwise I'm going to die single?"

She looked up after reading my horoscope with a bewildered, spooked-out look. "Um. . . actually yes, that's right." She raised her brows at me. "Minus the last part, of course."

I buried my head in the bedsheet. "Honestly." I groaned, "Can't I not go to prom tomorrow?"

"What? Why?"

"Umm, let's think...." I probed. "Maybe . . . because it has something to do with the fact that I don't have a date?"

"Oh yes, I heard you broke up," Eunmi commented, applying her night cream before the vanity table. "I'm sorry. Awful timing, isn't it?"

"Hmmm," I grumbled.

"Besides, I don't think you have a choice," Eunmi replied. "You're Head Girl, part of the administration, you should be there."

"I know. that's the only part bothering me." I whined. "Otherwise, I would have happily stayed back and slept late." Which is much better than simmering at the sight of Chanyeol and Hyori. "But just imagine how dumb I would look if I show up there without a date! It would be the joke of the year."

"You're right." Eunji smiled sympathetically. "Sad life, isn't it?"

"Very."

"But there's got to be some guy who's still single and good lucking, right?" Eunmi wondered out aloud.

I tsked, Eunji shook her head solemnly. "All the good guys are taken."

By people like Hyori, I thought resentfully.

The door clicked open and Yumi walked in supporting the biggest smile I've seen. There was a dreamy glaze all over her face ever as if secretly enjoying something. The three of us exchanged a curious glance before attacking her. "Okay, spill."

Yumi sighed happily as she kicked off her jacket and sat on a corner of her bed.

"Come on!" the twins chorused.

Still acting as superior as she could, she kept smiling to herself . . . until I took off my shoe, aiming it on the back of her head. She screamed and when she was done calling me names, we finally succeeded to pinch the news out, hurdling around her.

"I was just casually wrapping up things after we were done working when Yixing suddenly took my hand and---"

"That hot Chinese buddy?" Eunmi squealed.

"Yes!!" Yumi grinned. "Then he--"

"Hold on." I cut in, not getting a thing. "What were you doing with him?" I asked quizzically.

She rolled her eyes. "He's my partner for History."

"Oh, carry on."

Resuming her smile, she continued, "Then he stuttered a bit, and god that was so damn cute! His ears turned red, and he was all nervous before asking me out for prom! Can you believe it?!" She screamed, clutching her chest.

"WOAH!" Eunji whistled and I hugged my best friend. At least, she wasn't going to share my misery. 

Yumi scowled after a moment of celebration. "But, he did say in the end that we were going just as friends."

I rolled my eyes. "Huh, we'll see about that. Did you tell Baek?"

"Yes, just did. He's in the common room and I'm glad our campaign worked." She chatted ecstatically. "We both got nice dates though I didn't believe anyone would ask me out!"

"Is he?" Eunmi asked, raising a brow. "We made a bet with him! If your History partner will ask you out or not. He was convinced that Yixing wouldn't but I was sure. I better go on and catch that boy before he runs away." She and her twin explained, quickly pulling wraps over their night dresses. "That boy owes me a hundred Won."

I changed into my night suit too and climbed up in the bed when they left. Yumi leaned in and whispered, "Any progress?"

I sighed and shook my head. She pouted, "Baekhyun told me Chanyeol's going out with--"

"I know, don't say it."

Yumi looked momentarily taken aback after seeing my bitter expression. After a moment of silence, "He really got to you this time, didn't he?"

I don't if that made me happy or sad. But, I chuckled. "Maybe he did--"

Eunmi broke in, grinning like a mad horse. "Huh!" Her fist clenched money bill which explained her victorious smile. "You should have seen the look on his face!"

"Oh, Mirae?" Eunji said. "That---that friend of yours is looking for you."

I sat up on the bed. "What? Which friend?"

"Sehun, I think." Eunmi pointed down at the common room. "He's waiting for you outside the common room."

I frowned. What is he doing up so late? I put my slippers on and left. After making sure that Chanyeol wasn't in the common room, I tiptoed all my way. Outside, I found Sehun leaning against the wall, I hurried over to him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked hurriedly.

He looked up, observing my puffy face for a minute before saying, "Junmyun mentioned something about you having a breakup. I just thought I should come to check on you."

I smiled a little. His concerned eyes poured into mine. This guy, seriously, is the sweetest being on Earth. Nodding, "Sort of."

"Sure?"

I shrugged, opting to tell him the second-best reason for our break up. "The last few weeks have been too emotionless. No spark, no nothing. And he was really busy to give our relationship time. I felt that I was more of his buddy rather than his girlfriend."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "So it didn't turn out too nasty?"

I sighed. "No, I guess not." I faced him and smiled slightly at how much he cared for me. It feels great to know that even after years, so many ups and downs that our friendship has encountered, we were still concerned about each other.

"How's work with Junmyun?" I asked.

Sehun chuckled. "He's better than I thought."

I grinned, laying my head on his shoulder. "I know right," I asked cautiously, picking my words carefully. "So any hard feelings left for them?"

Sehun seemed to be in thought for some time. Then he shrugged, "No, I guess. I'm okay with them but don't expect us to be buddies."

I grinned. "That's good enough for me."

We stood in silence for a few minutes enjoying each other's embrace. I had started to forgot how comfortable I felt around him. A sudden thought crossed my mind. "Sehunnie, who are you taking to prom?"

Sehun made a bored face. "No one. A few girls asked me out but I turned them down."

"Why?" I gasped, lifting up my head.

"I have no time for a bunch of giggling sissies who have nothing to talk about other than their makeup and cringy gossip." He smirked. "I'd either go alone or I won't."

"Go with me." 

He turned to face me, a surprised look in his eyes. "You don't have a prom date yet?"

I made a poker face. "I broke up this morning, what do you expect?"

"Oh," He smiled. "Okay."

I smiled back and leaned my head on his shoulder again. "This is really ironic, you know."

He nodded, laughing. "Do you remember when in middle school, we had first found out what prom was, we had decided, even vowed that we'd go with each other because . . . well . . . "

"Because apparently, nobody liked either of us and we came to this comforting conclusion to make sure we aren't left behind." I completed.

He cracked up. "How sickly lonely of us."

I nodded. "We still are, if you think about it."

"Hmm.. never thought that we would keep that one promise," Sehun muttered.

Some promises are meant to be kept.

------------------------------

I know you hate me, that's okay ;)
Also, I just realized that this story is coming to an end in about 5-6 chapters, god I'm already feeling emotional.

 I'm truly very sorry... but on the bright side, here is a Mirae with a totally different set of feelings. Let me know your feedback!

ALSO, the number of views and subscribers really doesn't keep up with the up-voters, which is quite demotivating. I'd really, really appreciate it if you could vote on this book only if you think it deserves it! Thanks :)