Chapter 15

It's Always You

To say that Junmyun's life had become nothing but torture would definitely be an understatement. He had become a victim of the judging stares and critical taunts where ever he would go, either be it classes, matches, or even lunch. I tried to talk to him when we would do rounds so that he would he wouldn't feel down and know that we're standing with him. Some nights he'll be quiet, others he would be very expressive about his feelings and I tried my best to do some counseling. This adverse time had drained him up, quite literally.

Moreover think I don't suppose I can be more impressed with the trio, seeing that they stuck with him like an annoying bubblegum everywhere he went, shouting back at those who tried to put him down. I had directed Chanyeol to keep an eye on him so that he doesn't jump off the roof which was a possibility. He had become a joke, a subject of everyone's gossip. This revelation had affected his position as prefect too. Hardly anyone would listen to his orders now. Like tonight.

"Go back to your room right now!" He scolded irritatingly. "I warned you last night too."

The boy smirked humorlessly, pushing him back. "Huh, look who's talking."

Junmyun narrowed his eyes pointing at his badge. "Do you see this? I can give you detention if-"

"So what if you're a prefect? At least my father doesn't eat off others for a living. He isn't-"

"That's enough, boys," I said calmly. Junmyun backed away massaging his temples. He must be having those migraine attacks again. Raising an eyebrow, I demanded, "Are you leaving for your dorm, or would you rather I call for Miss Jung?"

The boy rolled his eyes without making a move as if my statement didn't make a difference. "Go back, Now!" I exclaimed sternly trying to stare him down. 

He cursed at me, grabbing his girlfriend's hand and left, mumbling, "One's an over smart and other's the son of a . What a combo."

I looked at my fellow prefect who was close to screaming. I could only sigh tiredly, hoping things will be better for him.

-----------------

Next evening found Jinyoung and I spending some quality time together....in the library....working on homework. Hey, you don't have a choice when you have an extremely adorable boyfriend! But your cruel teachers wouldn't spare even one day's homework.

"This is insane." He cried out after skimming through the pages of his Organic Chemistry book, a funny yet incredulous look on his face. "They can't expect me to learn all of this."

I looked up from my stretched position to give him a sympathetic look. After laying my head back on his shoulder, I smiled saying, "They believe in your brilliant genius."

"Well, I must say, they're being very optimistic." He replied, still horrified.

"You'll do fine."

"Easy for you to say. You probably got all A+ right?"

"No." I scoffed.

"What? So maybe an A?"

"Two." I corrected him.

He laughed loudly before a pleading expression plastered on his features. "Can I borrow your brain for my exam, dear?"

"What part of 'you'll do fine' didn't you understand?"

"I appreciate your support but that doesn't erase the possibility of me failing." He groaned in frustration as he looked at the clock. "Shoot! Only half an hour till practice."

I rubbed his hand trying to relax him a little. He brushed my hand away and made me face him. I lifted my brow as he held my shoulders tenderly. "Can I tell you a secret?"

"Sure." 

"I never wanted to be in the Science group in the first place," Jinyoung confessed, after taking a deep breath.

I gasped. "What!?"

"Yeah." He muttered. "I...well... I wanted to join the Arts group, you know? I love dancing or singing too, maybe, if I could give it a try, but my parents were against it. They wanted me to be an engineer or maybe an architect- just anything mainstream. They think there's no career in music but they're so wrong. I liked reading books but they took it too seriously."

I was silent for a moment taking in the information. "So, you were forced into this?" I asked hesitantly and he nodded.

"That's terrible," I whispered. My heart clenched at the thought of it. How could one excel in academics when it's not a major you want to pursue? How long can one hold up the pretense when it's something he's not interested in. It's sad how people impose their wishes on their children.

He chuckled. "You don't think I'm gonna put up with this drama my whole life, right? I have made my mind to join dancing classes or maybe some agency as soon as I graduate."

I tilted my head and smiled lightly. "And in order to graduate, you have to study. Which you haven't done in the last half hour." I commented, handing him his book back as he whined.

-------------------

Just as I entered my room after a dozen busy hours of homework, extra assignments, and Prefect duties, I was welcomed by a very familiar taunt.

"Hey, I'm Jung Yumi, your best friend- you might remember me?"

I laughed tiredly, falling on the couch in our room with a thud. I stretched my numb limbs, yawning. "Sorry, I lost track of time."

"I was looking everywhere for you at dinner." She complained.

"I'm sorry. That damned Biology quiz took me too long, and when I returned for dinner the hall was empty."

She looked at me pityingly. "Don't overwork, Mirae. You have a boyfriend. Beauty sleep and nutritional meals are necessary."

"Oh please, I have to sleep and eat only for him?" I scoffed. ally don't see eye to eye with the people who believe in sacrificing their whole life for their partners. One should hold up their identity no matter what. "How's your boyfriend though?"

"Great. Yours?" Yumi asked, returning the sentiment.

"As remarkably cute as ever." I sighed. "Oh god, I'm starving. Do you have anything to eat? Please say you do. I'm so hungry that I think I can smell something delicious."

She smirked. "You might wanna talk a look at your bed." She pointed at the bed beside hers which was covered with heaps of clothes and books.

"What is it?" I frowned. Standing up, I walked over and almost screamed with happiness as I saw a small bowl of Jajangmyeon on the bedside table. I jumped at Yumi and engulfed her in a bear hug. 

"I love you! Thank you so much! I really do love you. You saved-"

She pushed me back after at that moment looking guiltily at me. "Uhh... as much as I love to hear you say that, but...I'm not the one who brought it."

"Who did?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed.

She grinned at me. "Chanyeol and Baekhyun."

My mouth dropped in shock. "What?" She nodded gleefully.

"They were bringing in dinner for Junmyun- because, you know, he isn't eating in the hall. When Chanyeol noticed you were also missing, they decided to leave one for you too."

My eyes widened in surprise as my mouth was busy gobbling the most delicious dish ever. "Hmm...how did they bring it in though? Boys aren't allowed, right?"

"No idea. They told me about what they'd done when I was lounging in the common room."

I nodded making a mental note to thank him. "That's nice of him. I owe him."

She winked and opened her silly little mouth once more but I held up my finger to quiet her. "If you're about to go on your crazy theory again then please stop right there."

She smirked arrogantly. "Fine. What do I need to say when he himself keeps proving me right again and again."

---------

The Next Day, I woke up with a jerk and sat up hastily, emitting a high-pitched scream as I looked at the wall clock. 10 A.M. My room was completely empty and I jumped out of bed to get in my uniform and raced to the common room and found it empty with an exception of a few juniors. Groaning in frustration, I realized this was the first time I had missed a class. I missed it! How could I? I was always a light sleeper, how on Earth did I not wake up when my friends were getting ready? I wanted to pull my hair out because the Chemistry class was important to attend especially when Madame Jung was your teacher. , I shouldn't have slept in late. 

Our first class was almost over by the time I reached the classroom so I stayed outside instead of making an appearance that could result only in detention. I went to the hall hoping to find something for breakfast. Thankfully, I wasn't late for that so I grabbed a plate of french toast and a cup of coffee and settled on the stairs of the hall, hoping not to be caught by any faculty member. The first few moments went by in silence which I utilized in thinking of ways I could convince myself that it was totally okay to miss a class by coincidence. Right? 

I heard some steps behind me. I slid in the corner to give them the space to pass but instead, they halted beside me. Craning my neck, I recognized Sehun as he sat beside me without a word and he smiled at me. There was a juice box in his hand.

"Hi."

I smiled widely. It's so good to see him happy. "Hey! Did you miss class too?"

"I'm not a Science student, remember? It's my free period." Then he frowned, raising his eyebrows. "Did you miss class, Mirae? And you're okay with it? Hey... what happened to the old Mirae?"

"Old Mirae?" I chuckled, laying my head on my knees. "So, what would the old Mirae do in this situation?"

He took a second to think it out, scratching his head. "Well the Mirae I used to know, would run down the halls screaming and weeping. She'd jump from the rooftop thinking she would fail the whole year because she missed a lesson." A wide smile spread across his sharp features. "Oh, and she would threaten her friends for not waking her up and she'd also-"

Unable to contain my laughter I hit him lightly on the shoulder. "Stop it, Sehunnie! You're just exaggerating. I'm not that crazy."

"Well, I'm not lying. Your reaction would have been close to that."

A pleasantly friendly silence settled between us. I sighed in content. After a moment I spoke up again.

"How's he doing? Ajhussi, I mean."

"He's a little better these days. When he is conscious, that is." Sehun replied nodding approvingly. Turning to me, he added. "Your visit left him in a really good mood. The minute he woke up and noticed those flowers, the first question he asked was if you came because he knows you'll do this kind of gesture. He was upset that he didn't get to see you but all in all, he's pretty happy. Thanks, Mirae. I owe you."

A smile crept up on my face at his words. I felt important; I had benefited someone for once and especially those who are close to my heart. "Don't be like that, I didn't do you a favor. But I'm happy it made him happy."

"Yeah, that's all we can do."

I finished breakfast and wiped off my face with tissue paper. Suddenly a thought passed my mind. "Sehun? Did you...uh, know about... Junmyun?"

He stopped dead in his tracks. It took him a minute to find his tongue again and replied slowly. Clearing his throat, "Umm... yeah well. I did have an idea about this when I overheard those three once but nothing exactly."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I complained instantly.

"He threatened me," Sehun's teeth gritted and I realized I'd touched a nerve. I saw him clutching tightly on the juice box. "Said if I let out one word, he would-"

He stopped abruptly, clearly disturbed at the painful memory. I had already realized that 'he' meant none other than Chanyeol. This was the kind of thing he would do to save his friend, and Sehun being his favorite target, it must have made the threatening easier. I shook my head trying to be understanding of Sehun's hesitance in explaining.

"It's okay."

"Poor guy he is to receive all the hate." He responded. But changed his statement after a second. "Though he deserves, after all, he put me through."

We became silent when I chose not to reply to that. Suddenly a thought occurred to me. "Hey, Sehun, have you ever been to the girls' dormitory in the Arts group hostel?"

Sehun choked on his mango juice, giving me a 'why would you ask that?' look.

I winced. "Sorry, that came out wrong, I just meant. . .well, I was rather curious if it was possible."

"Well, it isn't allowed, is it?" He said matter-of-factly. But that hadn't stopped Chanyeol, did it?

"Hmm..." I shot him a look. "That doesn't mean you haven't done it. Well, have you?"

I tried to throw the topic with a light chuckle. "No, I tried one--"

"Oh Jesus, you did too?"

He frowned. "Who else did?"

Now, he got me. I should have been careful of my words. Chanyeol is the last name he would want to hear. I shrugged, "Oh, you know, I was just wondering."

Changing the topic, he threw me a naughty look.

"Is it your boyfriend? Does he want to get in the dorm?

My eyes widened. I had almost forgotten that he had spotted me on my date with Jinyoung. Sehun and I have rarely talked about dating. Although as far as I remember, we used to plan our respective wedding receptions but nothing serious. I laughed uneasily, looking at my feet.

"Um yeah... I did." I replied, blushing. "You don't know him but I'd like to introduce you to him sometime.

He nodded pleasantly. "Sure. Though I've seen that guy lurking in the Arts Department a lot."

My thoughts traveled to our conversation in the library when he told me about his true interests. Poor, poor Jinyoung. He must have loved being there. "Yeah, he's on the team too."

Sehun raised an eyebrow. "Really? Since when did you start having a liking for football players?"

I looked at my crossed feet, knowing where this conversation was going. He was obviously referring to the time I used to rant crazily about how I hated Park Chanyeol and his excellent football skills and my best friend would just tease me saying I was just jealous and I used to say in turn that I hated all football-associated people just to cover it up.

"Uh-yeah... well. Things change, I guess." What other explanation am I supposed to give?

His gaze was glued on my face, reading me very carefully. After a split second, he nodded slightly. Turning back to the topic, he continued. "I hope he's good-looking enough for you."

I smiled widely and nodded quickly. "Oh! yes, he is."

He laughed at my quick, immediate response, smacking me lightly on my forehead. I blushed red and closed my eyes in embarrassment. His next words forced them open and brought me back to Earth.

"Yeah, anyone's good as long as you're not dating that jerk." He commented, hatred weaved in his tone. My head whipped at him and every trace of smile erased from my face. Jerk... Chanyeol? Of course, that's what Sehun meant.

"Did I say something wrong?" He questioned, raising an eyebrow when he didn't get an answer.

The booming bell rung and I jumped in surprise. Students filled in the corridors for their next classes. A loud chatter filled the air. I stood up from my place and called him too.

"I should get going. Don't wanna miss another class."

He nodded his head and sliding his hand in his pocket, and fished out a small piece of paper. "Here, Appa made the nurse write this for you."

My mouth dropped in astonishment. I held out my hand and took it from him. "Thanks." With one last smile, he turned and walked away. I held the small paper tightly and placed it in my pocket making my mind read it later in peace. I let out a large breath and looked to my right and found Chanyeol standing at the door of the classroom, his eyes fixed on me. I wonder if he saw Sehun and me chatting. Does it even matter? I waved a little and walked over to him as the others also came into view.

"Skipped class, did you?" Junmyun commented teasingly.

"Yeah. I slept in late." I nodded, smiling sheepishly as we started walking to our next class, Sociology, which was on the other side of the campus.

"Mirae, If you hadn't done your homework then you should have told me," Chanyeol spoke up. "You could've joined the I-like-to-leave-homework-till-morning-and-then-force-Chanyeol-to-help-me-with-it club." He shot Baekhyun a glare who apparently seemed to be a member of said club and the latter grinned widely.

I rolled my eyes. "That's an absurdly long name for a club. And second, don't give him a hard time. It's hardly an effort from your side to help him, you already know it all."

"Did that--hey, are you complimenting me?" Chanyeol asked, amazed.

"You're welcome," I replied. "By the way, I wanted to thank you both for last night, I mean for the food and everything."

"No problem." Baekhyun waved it away with his hand.

"So, how did you get it to our room?" I asked curiously. "Boys aren't allowed, you didn't ask Yumi and I know that you wouldn't have asked a girl to do that because it's too weird."

"You really want to know?" Chanyeol asked.

I thought about it for a minute before nodding. "Yes, I do."

"Okay." He leaned forward and lowered his voice conspiratorially low. "I sort-of climbed."

I stared at Chanyeol. Then I grinned. "Don't you have anyone else to fool? You climbed? Seriously? That's bull !"

"No, it's not!" He protested. "It's how we've always gotten up to girl's dormitories."

"We?"

"Baekhyun and I."

Of course. I rolled my eyes. "I should've guessed. So much for our supposed security measures to prevent your untrustworthy intentions." Baekhyun acted to be shocked but a large grin spread on his lips a second later.

"It's not exactly dangerous since it's one floor. We've learned how to be pros at climbing." Chanyeol smirked. I raised my head to the ceiling but couldn't help smiling a bit.

"So, would you prefer a quick death, then? I think that would be the most merciful way."

"What?" I asked, bewildered.

"You know, since I told you our secret, I've got to kill you now." Chanyeol replied matter-of-factly.

"Hey! That's not fair."

Chanyeol shrugged. "Sure it is. I did give you a fair warning after all. Yet you still asked."

"Then you shouldn't have told me! You don't want me to die, do you?" I pouted my lips as cutely as I could trying to play along the joke.

He sighed melodramatically. "Okay, I admit, it will be heavy loss. But I'll manage somehow."

Before I could reply, Jinyoung joined us. Joining my side, he planted a kiss on my forehead. "Hello beautiful."

"Hey gorgeous." Baekhyun replied with a sultry wink at Jinyoung's direction before I could say anything back. Eww. Seriously, this is the gayest moment I have ever witnessed.

I snorted but Jinyoung gave him a stern look, "Baekkie! I told you it's over between us." He continued. Chanyeol and Junmyun on the other hand were enveloped by a breathless fit of laughter.

"No Jagi! You can't actually mean that." Baekhyun's eyes widened. He leaned in closer to Jinyoung's face holding his hands but before anything really disturbing could happen in the middle of a corridor, Chanyeol grabbed his friend's shoulder and pulled him back while I did the same with Jinyoung.

"We seriously need to control them." I spoke to Chanyeol passing him a determined look. He nodded laughing and dragged Baekhyun to other side away from Jinyoung.

"Nooo! Oppa don't leave me." Baekhyun screamed with a high pitched girly scream, his hands clawing at thin air.

I shook my head at these antics. When Jinyoung opened his mouth to respond I nudged him in his abdomen "Seriously stop that, would you?" He grinned, slinging his hand over my shoulder.

------------

I spread my legs on the couch trying to get cozy. It was almost midnight and still had loads of homework left even though I had been engrossed in it since the minute I returned from rounds. Suddenly I recalled the presence of the small piece of paper in my pocket. It was the perfect moment to read it. I took it out and unfolded it.

Mirae dear,
I couldn't control my happiness when I found out that my little best friend came to visit me. Thank you so much for the lilies. I would've loved to meet you; it's a pity I couldn't see you. I hope you're still acing every exam as you used to. Keep working hard. I'm very worried about Sehun. Please look after him when I'm gone.

Love,
Your coolest uncle, Seungmin-ah.

A sad smile crept upon my face. His words still had the certain fatherly feeling to them. It's human nature to be emotionally attached with the people and things associated with one's childhood and that's why it was harder to accept the bitter truth. But, it's part of growing up, after all. I was glad that my visit had made him happy. Although his small request at the end of the note worried me. Why is he so certain that he wouldn't make it long?  Sighing, I folded the note and placed it back in pocket, hoping to see him soon.

I suddenly had the urge to get up and drink water because my throat was parched up. I gulped down the glass of water, setting back to the table. Turning around, I jumped in shock when I noticed a figure waiting behind me. The Great Yoori.

"I need to talk to you." She said seriously.

Completely taken aback, I just stared at her. The memory of her slap, quite a sharp one, was still too fresh in my mind to think rationally. Without a reply, I passed past her.

"Mirae, you'll be the one at loss if you don't hear me out." She called me again. That's all it took. My ego vanished in a second. Curiosity took over me. I rolled my eyes and turned to face her, folding my arms. I gave her a this-better-be-worth-it look.

"Can we go outside?"

"It's past curfew." I interjected.

It was her turn to roll her eyes. "We won't go far. I just don't want anyone else to hear."

With that she walked to door and let herself out without giving me a chance to say anything. I sighed and followed her. As we stepped out in the dim lighted corridor, I didn't want to waste anytime.

"So?" I asked, raising my brows. Whatever this girl had to say to me was far beyond my imagination.

"I know I haven't been the nicest person to you this year." She started with no clear introduction of her oh-so-important-topic.

No, really? I said sarcastically. But outward, I nodded so Yoori would continue and just leave.

"The truth is." She paused to breath. "I was jealous of you."

I lifted my eyebrow but let her speak. 

"It was stupid of me to be, I mean-- not actually, considering that... oh I'm getting ahead of myself. What I mean to say is--- It was wrong to be so horrible to you."

She stunned me into shocked silence. I instantly felt bad for being equally rude. Maybe I shouldn't have treated her with so much disdain if she actually feels bad for what she did. "That's decent of you, Yoori. Don't worry, it's--"

"He's never told you, has he?" She asked abruptly.

"Um...who hasn't told me what?"

"Chanyeol, obviously!" She exclaimed exasperatedly. 

"Well, I'm sorry I couldn't read your mind." I snapped back defensively. But her next words froze any further sarcastic remark in my throat.

 "How he feels about you?"

Come again? Can you repeat that? "What?"

She nodded, smirking. "That's what I thought too. You looked too kind to be toying with his feelings by dating someone else."

I nearly laughed at that. Me? 'playing' with someone's feelings? Especially Chanyeol's... Like I don't have anything better to do.

"Anyways." She cleared awkwardly."I thought you should know...He really likes you. More than a friend should. That's why we broke up. It's not my place to tell you anything but since I had hit you when he had confirmed my fears, I just felt like I owed you an explanation."

I opened my mouth to say something. But no words came out. Yoori nodded. "So...I'll see you around." And she turned around to re-enter the common room, leaving me astonished.

Okay, what just happened? Chanyeol has feelings for me? That's ridiculous. I mean, he himself had told me that he used to ask me out only for fun the other day in the Chemistry lab. And secondly, didn't he confess himself that he had set up Jinyoung and I? What person in their right mind does that if they fancy them. Plus, no one can be that good an actor. 

I slowly set my feet in the common room, more confused than ever and tried to convince myself. Come on, this is Chanyeol we're talking about! He wouldn't hesitate to confess something like thatHe always says what's on his mind. A small part of my brain replied....Unless he was sure that he would rejected immediately. Because if I was being perfectly honest with myself, that's what I would've done. Reject him. Again. 

Is that heartless? maybe. But I know that we aren't right for each other and I couldn't deny that fact just for the sake of his feelings. Okay that does sound heartless, but what's the use of putting eahc of us in something that wouldn't obviously work! I mean the past years are just the perfect example. I have barely gotten used to the idea of us being friends, even now. This is too much to digest. How in the world am I going to face him now?

I groaned in frustration leaning against the back of the couch. God, I really really hope Yoori was wrong. I prayed hopelessly. If I ever shared this with Yumi, she would mock me for the rest of my life. I can imagine her dancing in victory. I think I could already hear her saying, 'I told you so.'

-----------

I told myself to empty my mind and get some work done. But I realized things were not going my way when Chanyeol entered the common room from his dormitory and plopped down on the sofa on my left, as oblivious of my inner trauma as he could be. I looked at him closely trying to find any clue in my defense. Without exchanging any word, he laid open his books and got so engrossed in his Physics homework that I was starting to wonder if he had even noticed me there. I cleared my throat and his head shot upwards. He flashed me a toothy smile returned to his work. 

After a few more minutes of silence, Chanyeol spoke, "Yumi was looking for you earlier. I think she's in your dormitory."

"Okay, thanks." I said making no effort to move my feet and kept staring at him, even though I had hardly seen my best friend all day. 

He smiled slightly and started writing again. He spoke again without taking his eyes off his book. "I know I'm handsome, but you can't really resist me, can you?"

I gasped, subconsciously flinched at his words. "Wh-what?"

He looked up again. "You know, I can feel it when you're staring at me so intensely. Are you trying to burn holes in my shirt or something?"

I smiled sheepishly at being caught. Changing the awkward topic, I commented, "I've never seen you commit yourself to homework like this. I don't know whether to be impressed or disturbed."

"Well, I'm planning to skip off Physics lecture tomorrow, so I thought the least I could do is get a head start on homework."

I raised my eyebrows. "Any particular reason for skipping class?"

"I make it a hobby to skip at least once a month-- It's healthy, you know?" He shrugged.

"Not really." I answered. "But then, I hardly ever understand you, anyway." I really mean it.

"It's what makes us such good friends."

I laughed merrily. "That doesn't even make any sense."

Chanyeol grinned. "Well, it made you laugh, which is all I was really going for."

I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at him. His answer was so sweet that I swear my heart was going to burst. It makes me wonder if Yoori was telling the truth, after all. My conversation with her, which I had forgotten for a few moments, came running back to me. I thought of asking him about it, and verify what she said was true...to clear this matter once and for all. There was no one in the common room and we were alone. This is the perfect moment. What if he says yes, Mirae? How would you save your from this mess, then?

Deciding against it because I was scared to hear his answer, I smiled slightly. "Um...thanks, I'll see you tomorrow in class then... or maybe I won't, right?"

"Will you make it alright without me?" He asked solemnly.

"I imagine so."

But as I turned away, my smile morphed into a frown. He is acting so nice. But the friendly nice, not more. I closed my eyes shut as I climbed the stairs back to my bed. Is that what Chanyeol meant when he said, What can you give me, Mirae? You don't even know what I want? 

But there was still a small chunk of hope in my heart that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't true and he was referring something else. Otherwise, it will be nothing but disasterous.
 

Ughh...Park Chanyeol, why do you have to make life so complicated for me?

--------------------

Phew!! Here's an indirect confession that can be either true or not. I know there could have been suitable ways (better than Yoori) to do it. But well, everything happens for a reason. I promise a very exciting next chapter ;)

 Look forward to it!