Balcony

What is Love?
Please log in to read the full chapter

Balcony

 

“Grandmamma, did you cook my favorite?” Kina bounced around the dining room and the kitchen like a little child filled with energy. She was ecstatic to be back. It had been so long. “I am so glad you took in Aunt Moonhee for house-keeping. I was so worried about you living all alone…”

She takes a seat opposite Sehun who had an amused glint in his eyes as he watched her.

“But you never came to see me,” Grandmamma lovingly but it stung her. That was true… after leaving her grandmamma for high-school, which was also an excuse she had never been back here.

Sehun seemed to have noticed her crestfallen look because his eyebrows shot up like he always does when he wants to ask something but before he did anything, her grandma beat him it.

“Hush kid,” Her tone was stern but her touch was soft as she laid her hands on top of Kina’s, “I am perfectly okay, was perfectly okay. I know… I know all about it.”

Kina gave her grandmamma an apologetic but also thankful smile as she continued. “I will never be mad at you. I cooked lunch just for you… all your favorites.”

Sehun gave her a curious look when Grandma called out for the housekeeper to bring out the food to the ‘starving’ children. She smiled and shrugged at him indicating that she would tell him… someday. He nods and before any further exchanges, food began to fill up their table, the delicious smell wafting through the entire house.

Kina was taken back to her younger days as she enjoyed the food. Their home was built mostly with wood and it gave a very rustic ambiance. She looked over at Sehun who was stuffing his face as though he had never eaten a morsel before. She gave a small kick on his foot making him wince before throwing her a surprised, angry look.

“Eat slowly! You are going to choke on your food.” Sehun paused a minute, blinking surprisingly before settling down and starting to eat slower making Kina huff. Grandmamma only chuckled at the exchange but said nothing.

“Let us rest for a while after lunch and in the afternoon when the sun’s weaker I’ll show you around.” She couldn’t wait to show him around all the places she loved. Their place was enormous and it will take a long time before he is able to see everything but that was okay… they were staying for some time after all.

Sehun looked amused again but nodded his head and said nothing. It was probably her rare excitement coming through.

 

* * *

 

They were seated on an indoor balcony overlooking the sitting room below. It was a cozy spot with a nice swing, big potted plants, and very comfortable couches to lounge on as well as large floor to ceiling windows that had streams of sunlight pouring in. Grandma Park had gone for some work; Sehun wondered what sort of work that old woman does. But she wasn’t thin and frail like his grandmas, she was rather robust and stern so who knows, she might even be wrestling with Kangaroos at the moment.

That gave a peal of intense laughter to Kina as he laughed along with her. She looked truly relaxed like she had shed a skin she was forced to wear and it soothed his heart seeing her like so.

They were seated side by side on the couch with Kina holding a small guitar (It’s a Ukulele!) that her uncle bought her when she was younger while he traditionally looked at the piles of photos that Kina’s grandpa has saved.

Kina was adorable and he was so glad he came here. The last time when he forced her to show her pictures of the farm, she had shown him only two claiming that was the only thing on the phone. Boy… If he was this cute, he’d have a soft copy of everything. With her Ukulele thing long forgotten they were both immersed in the photos, giggling and laughing with Kina giving the backstories of almost all the photos as he hangs on to each word. This was probably the first time he was learning so much about Kina.

There were several photos of young Kina with a very plump kid everywhere but strangely in the later photos, he was absent.

“He moved out of here and went to Seoul for High-school…” she had explained when he pointed that out. "Besides grandpapa got sick and there was no one to click photos anymore."

Sehun only nods and continued his flipping and inquiring.

“I feel like I’ve seen him though,” Sehun squints trying to remember exactly when he had seen this large boy.

 “Maybe he was also here when you came for the meeting…” Kina suggested looking up to him from his shoulders. She was reclined on the couch with her head on his shoulders looking at the photos with him. It gave him a warm feeling knowing that Kina was extremely comfortable wi

Please log in to read the full chapter