Skating Ring

What is Love?
Please log in to read the full chapter

Baekhyun watched Kina talk to the skull all by herself in the corner feeling incredibly intrigued. He smiles watching her laugh at the skull and make faces at it. That girl was having a full-on conversation with the decorative piece when they were supposed to put it up.

He shook his head a little feeling a pool of butterflies waking up on the bed of his stomach. Just when he thought they had all died, they decided to wake up for that weird girl in class? But then he had not been able to get his eyes off her the whole evening and found his legs trailing after her as they decorated the place for the event tomorrow.

Besides she was such a joy to talk to. She somewhat reminded her of all flavored candies. You just never know which one you picked until you tasted it. Baekhyun liked being with her, liked talking to her, liked watching her smile, and even better when she laughs.

She was creative and knew what she was doing. She had been the in-charge of the entire Halloween event along with him and two historians. All of them had been more or less under her guidance and only in-charges by name. She directed each of them so well making them all do things accordingly and it had been so easy to work with her.

He frowns a little when Professor Oh and Professor Jongin called her over feeling a little like they had disturbed his time with her.

He distracts himself by finishing the touches for the sound system as they were also putting up a performance. He and his friends were the main attraction and he decided to put all of his attention to the sound system lest he messes it up and thus disappoints the main girl.

He wouldn’t want that at all.

 

 

Skating Ring

 

 

“Hi! Did you spend Christmas well?” It was the Bae guy… Byun Baekhyun. “Mind if I sit here?”

Kina nods her head and smiled at him. “I had a lovely winter break. I hope you did too.”

For the Halloween fest last year, they had bonded well and it was exciting knowing that they had more similarities than they thought.

It was fun whenever Baekhyun was around. He was such a brilliant person and he was up for debate of any kind. Instead of the brainless cuckoo, she’d low-key expected, Kina was thrilled to find out that he had such an amazing outlook on any subject brought forward.

He sighs loudly and nods his head, “My Christmas was good!”

Kina still wouldn’t categories Baekhyun as ‘friend’, rather a classmate who she gets along with. He still felt quite the stranger although he was awfully friendly.

They talk and like always it is great. There was something about Baekhyun that made it easy to be silly. She could seriously discuss the functions of rubber ducks with him and he would be equally serious about it. They would fight over the uses and treat it as though it was the most important discussion in the whole wide world.

It was fun but other than classrooms, they were still strangers and she did not mind. It was nice to have someone like that in the classroom. It made her look forward to classes.

A few minutes passed as their topic jumped from one to another before his friends all turned up so did hers so he moves away to his seat at the back. As he moved, her minutes automatically went back towards Sehun and she lets out a soft smile. He had been super mushy with her after that incident.

It had been terrible, to be very honest. She does not remember crying so much in her life. She had been in a foreign land, does not speak their language, and the only person she knew went missing. It was a nightmare especially when it was right after giving her body, her entirety to him. But then that seemed to have sealed their relationship and Sehun had been more aware of his drinking issues more than ever. They had made up and just… became closer than ever before.

Their professor walks in, greets them, and then classes begin returning to normal all over again… Her lost in Japan story at the back of her mind.

“Valentine’s Day is around the corner and you all know what it means,” the professor says after his lectures, and the entire class groans. It was sells-day for the economics department. “The main in-charge, of course, like the tradition will be handed to the freshmen but the sophomores are to overlook them.”

Kina sighs and shakes her head wishing this wouldn’t be as troubling as last year. She got to spend some time with Sehun at least.

Normally when classes start, they get busy… too busy. She will be on the other side running around for her assignments for group projects or events and he will be on the other side running around for his department, getting ready for his lectures and checking assignments; especially at this time of the year when the semester year concludes and everyone starts panicking to wrap it up.

The third-year was on its way and Kina sighs sadly knowing it was going to be the last year with Sehun as a professor on their campus. She was not going to see him in her fourth year so might as well drink in his company.

Also, she needs to get him a present at least. The last year she got him a watch and it had been a last-minute order which she did in the stall after he had bought the flowers for her. It was funny but it slipped out of her mind then but this time, she would prepare.

Thankfully the overall in charge was given to some people which meant she will be free. Baekhyun though was given a role to sing again making the entire room erupt in cheers.

She was looking forward to a happy Valentine again.

 

* * *

 

“I assume you are planning out other elaborate plans even this year Mister Byun,” Sehun asked lightheartedly to the browned hair guy. The entire class suddenly sits up in attention and Sehun had to shake his head in amusement. If only they would perk up as much on mentioning of the Cold War.

The guy seemed smaller though instead of the obnoxious puffing of his chest as he lets out an awkward laugh and shakes his head. “Not really sir. Not this year.”

A murmur broke out in the classroom and Sehun caught some words like ‘broke up’, ‘two years’ and ‘single’. Pressing his lips into a line and shaking his head, he apologized.

Coming to think about it, Baekhyun had been extremely quiet the last year. Unlike freshmen where he would literally run around with his gang shouting and singing, this time he had been quiet. College did that to people, no doubt as they grow up they began to settle down. This time Sehun guessed it had been a heart-break.

Sehun wondered once he was out of the class into lunch with his friend, how he should spend the special day with.

“Last year it was extremely awkward,” Sehun tells his only friend seriously as the other listened while munching on his food. “So this year, now that we are officially together I want it to be special but knowing our situation that is not easy. What should we do?”

“I have been single for the last 2 years Sehun,” Jongin spats looking pissed.  “Just leave me alone.”

That settles. Sehun nods and began eating quietly.

 “I want to marry too…” Jongin suddenly whines as he whispered to his friend. They were in Sehun’s office but that seemed too scandalous to be said out loud. “I am going to turn 30 soon but no one wants to like me.”

“Hush…” Sehun pats his friend’s head and tried to soothe him down. “You will find the-one very soon. No problem.”

“Easy for you to say,” Jongin mopped as he puts another mouthful into his lamenting mouth, “when your parents arranged it all for you. I wish I was rich too.”

Sehun sighed and refrained from saying anything. Jongin was having his breakdown and he just let him be, after all, if he were to say anything like how it isn’t as colorful as he thought it was, the drama king will turn this office into a theatre.

 

* * *

 

Valentine was their busiest time of the year but thankfully after 10 pm, they shut down their entire facility because some hotshot had wanted to impress his girl by renting out the entire ring for the whole night.

Seokjin sighed and pouted at how his handsome face was going to waste yet another year being all alone. He slowly drove the ice-resurfacer to smoothen out the ice that had received quite the harsh treatment from all the couples that had come there that night.

He was thankful to whoever Mr. Oh was though because, after this, his night ends. He could go home and study for his upcoming exams quickly. Parking the vehicle, he watched as a crowd of people decorated the place for the special occasion.

Watching that he lets out an annoyed scoff. How he wishes he was rich with plenty of money to throw.

“Jin!” His director comes running towards him with a happy grin. He was sure they were getting their pockets warmed tonight. “Now that you are done with that excellent! I was wondering if you could receive them tonight without going home… of course, you will be paid plenty for that. You are the best-looking fellow in here and it would be such a waste if it’s not used tonight. Please say you will agree and be our guide today.”

He knew quite well how handsome he was and it was without a doubt that he was the best. Well if it comes to situations like this, he would need to be kind and show them mercy.

“I will be thrilled with that boss!” He says and bows down 90 degrees.

The things he has to do to earn.

At 11:10, donning a tuxedo Seokjin watched an immaculate man walk into the rink with a pretty girl in his arms. From their rings, they were married but they were both so young. What were they thinking?

He leads them to their special seat and their special skating boots and their special ice-creams and their special lights. The entire crew was behind the scene as they toiled over the lights, the ice, th

Please log in to read the full chapter