Detention

Memories Stored in the Heart

 

Chung Ae’s POV

 

“Explain everything to me.” This middle-aged teacher, Mrs. Seo, asked.

“She threw the first punch.” L.joe said.

“As you see I never laid a hand on her.” L added.

“You were harassing Jake back there!” I defended.

“Right, we were just passing and he there approached us.” Jake said.

Everyone said it all at once: defending their side.

“Clear it up, students!” The teacher said massaging her confused head. “First of all, harassing a student is against the school rules, even against the law. Secondly, who in the world will try to take that way? It’s a dead end there!” She scolded. Wait, she’s not even the guidance counselor. “All of you, in detention. NOW!” She yelled the last word continuing to massage her forehead.

“I’m innocent!” L.joe defensed.

“I was the one beaten!” L said.

“I was just protecting her!” I stressed out.

“I’m the victim!” Jake claimed.

Nobody wants detention clearly.

“Innocent? I know you were the one who broke the library’s window back there.” I pointed at L.joe.

“You said you were protecting your friend? Seriously, you got mad ‘coz L called you fat and you lose your temper!” L.joe shouted back.

“How dare you call her ‘fat’?” Jaekyung stood up from her seat. “It’s your entire fault toying with students!”

“Everybody just shut up!” Mrs. Seo broke in just before L could defend his side. “So, L.joe is found guilty with breaking the library’s window; Chung Ae with physical injury; and L with harassment! And you…” She pointed at Jake. “…you’re free to go.”

“WHAT?” The four of us exclaimed.

“If she stays, I stay.” Jake decided.

“If she goes, I go!” I demanded.

“She was in the scene with us. How come she’s the only one who’s free from detention?” L whined.

“No ‘buts’ or reasons. It’s all final!” She hit the table with her stick so loudly that all of us were startled on our seats. “The three of you, come with me!”

“Aish!” Everyone complained under their breaths.

 

------------------

 

L’s POV

 

“This is stupid, man.” L.joe complained when we were working our butts off in the library arranging and carrying all these dusty books. “Nobody even goes here why clean it?”

“This is just crazy. I got a date and thanks to those reckless girls I’m missing it.” My precious time is now wasted doing detention work. And an addition to our complaints, we’re going to do it every day until Mrs. Seo says so.

“Let me guess, it is Krystal this time right?” He guessed.

“Did she ask you first?” I asked about him knowing.

“You can do nothing about it. She’s in the same class with me.” He chuckled, dusting off that three inch dictionary. “So this is what they call detention, huh? No wonder everybody hates it.”

“Could you two stop talking about playing with Krystal? Here,” She handed me the books she was carrying. “That goes up there.” She pointed up the shelf.

“And who are you exactly to tell me what to do?” I asked pissed. “You’re nothing but a fat loser.”

“Whatever Death Note guy, you’re in detention and it means you stoop down to level zero.” Stoop down to her level? She gotta be kidding me.

“Yah,” I called out in irritation but she acted as if she heard nothing. “Yah, have I stooped down to her level?”

“With what you are acting…no… I guess it’s a no.” L.joe answered as he clapped his hands dusting off his hands.

“No? Then how can that person treat me as if I am?” I asked annoyed with the fact that someone goes against me.

“That’s because you stooped down to level zero—a level lower than her.” He chuckled but I don’t find anything funny with that. “You’re showing how childish you are. Now you get those books back up the shelf.”

“You mean I’m immature?” I chuckled with that conclusion following him to another shelf. “Just how am I immature? I’m even older than you are how come I’m the immature one?”

“Still playing with girls? Seriously aren’t you tired of playing?” He asked with a grin. “…hyung?”

I cracked a little laugh. “Cut that ‘hyung’ back there. But don’t you also enjoy my games?”

“You should get that book back up there right now, L. I’ll be waiting for you outside.” He didn’t answer that last question anymore and headed out.

I clicked my tongue with the thought of being immature. What’s wrong with having fun? Whatever, just blow that thought away. I should put these books back already, the gate outside is waiting for me. I climbed up the ladder against the shelf to put back the books when I suddenly hear a rumbling of books.

 

----------------------

 

Chung Ae’s POV

 

Aish, you’ll know you’re having bad luck when you’re me! The last thing I was going to do is to put those books back to the shelf but, really, why in the world did bad luck stick to me?

“Aaaaiissshh!” I complained while stomping my feet.

“It’ll just get worse if you’ll do that.” L.joe boy suddenly appeared out of nowhere and started picking the books up.

What’s up with him? Is he sick? Why help when I know he doesn’t want to?

“Thanks,” I said with a lack of sincerity, he’s still a playboy as I know. But…inhale, exhale…there’s nothing wrong if I kinda…like him???

What a stupid thought! I can’t like someone like him! An ugly loser doesn’t have the right to be loved! I know I’m unlucky when it comes to love life and I’ll only end up beaten and hurt in the end. Meaning: Falling in love is losing!

“What a scene!” I lifted my head and saw L up the ladder at the next shelf. “I know what loser is thinking now but I’m sorry I know you’re not L.joe’s type.” He continued chuckling.

If killing is not a crime I would’ve killed L. But thanks to Mr. Conscience I’m not doing it.

“I’ll be waiting outside.” L.joe calmly told L dumping the books to me then left.

I looked at L and give him a merong just to tell him he’s not as cool as L.joe. Honestly, my perception about L.joe being a playboy alleviated. I guess he’s not as bad as I thought he was. He’s different from L.

“Wake up from your dreams fan girl!” L snapped me out of my trance. “A loser like you belongs to a loser.”

“So you’re saying that I likely belong to you? Ew, that’s just disgusting.” I turned my back returning the books back to the shelf.

“It’s even more disgusting for me.” He made that oh-so-disgusted face but to tell you honestly, his face suits every facial expression. Whatever it is he still looks good. But yuck, why am I even thinking about that? “And to tell you again: I’m King here not a loser. So don’t ever imagine I’ll like someone like you because swear to God it would never EVER happen!” He stressed out the word.

“Oh, is that so? Then what are you still doing here? Can’t get enough of my beauty?” a question which disgusted me.

“Didn’t I just tell you not to imagine that I would like someone like you?” He walked away with the same level of irritation as me.