Heading Back

Memories Stored in the Heart

 

Hanna’s POV

 

I woke up again at seven in the morning and headed out of my room in my pajamas for my breakfast. It’s Saturday, no classes, I got a date! This is just great. Nothing can stop me from having a great time with my boyfriend.

“Good morning, Miss Gong,” a maid suddenly popped out of nowhere as I was making my way on the grand staircase. “Your father is calling for you.”

“He’s home?” I wondered running my fingers on my hair. “When did he arrive?”

“Just this morning, miss.” She answered then bowed before leaving.

I walked to his office wondering what’s wrong today. He’s usually never home. No it’s not my birthday today, no it’s neither his birthday. What day is it today? Oh yeah, fourteenth of March. And so? Why’s he home? I knocked on the door and as soon I heard him permitting me in, I opened the door and walked in.

“Good morning,” I greeted him maintaining a distance from his table. “Why is it that you called me?”

“I’m sending you back to South Korea.” He said his intensions directly to the point.

“What?—” I covered my mouth with that sudden question which I know my father would find disrespectful. “I mean, why so sudden?”

“What’s with that expression of yours, Hanna?” He asked. “I thought you’d be happy. You used to bug me about going back there.”

I used to but today’s not a good day for that announcement and neither would be tomorrow or the next day. Why send me back now when I have something I care about here? What will I tell Karam? We haven’t even reached a week yet and we’ll be separating already? This is just stupid!

“Your flight’s tomorrow at 10 am.” He declared.

“What’s there to rush about? I still want to stay here even just for a week more.”

“What’s not to be excited about?” My father asked back then sighed. “You were the one who was against my plan upon sending you here in Japan at first.”

“Did I go against you when you were sending me here?” I asked recalling the time when he said he’d be sending me here. “When did I go against that plan?”

“You didn’t?” He asked as my forehead creased puzzled. “Yeah, you didn’t.”

“I like it here already.” I thought of excuses and I think this first excuse is just lame. Why would he want me back in Korea in the first place?

“What is it that’s keeping you from leaving?” My heart thumped with his sudden serious question. “If it’s a lover then I don’t care just as long as you’ll follow my will.”

“Then…” I sighed looking at the ceiling. “Just give me time.”

“I’m giving you time. Like I said, your flight is tomorrow at 10 am. You still got enough time to bid your lover goodbye.”

“Well it’s not that easy. I—“

“You like him very much and you couldn’t just leave him like that?” He finished my sentence laughing. “Hanna, you’re nineteen and you must know that life isn’t one of those movies or some stories in the books.”

“I know but you’re making my life sound like those movies, dramas or stories.” I sighed. How could he even know about dramatic lives of those heroines on TV when all he’s not even watching those. “You know parents against their daughter’s lover.”

“I told you, I’m not against your lover.” He corrected. “And that separates you from those stories whatever it is. You’ll have your own happy ending once you abide by my will. Whether you break up with him or not, you’re going to South Korea by tomorrow.”

“But we’ve been together for just four days, damn it!” I rebelliously exclaimed but he didn’t mind my immorality. “I’m going for breakfast already!”

I started to walk out of the room to the kitchen. That was a great way to ruin my day.

---------------------

 

“Is there anything wrong?” Karam asked when we were walking at the park.

I just pouted bowing my head not knowing where to start. He stopped walking as I also did then he held my hand.

“You can tell me.” He brushed my hair away from my face and searched for my eyes.

“I—“ I took a deep breath first before spilling it out. “I’m leaving tomorrow.”

His eyes grew wide in shock but he stayed calm. “To where?”

“South Korea,” I gripped his hand tighter biting my lower lip.

“Why tomorrow?” He’s still calm. More worried than angry of me leaving him.

“My father demanded.” I sighed. “If you just know how I don’t want to leave yet.”

He pulled me to him then hugged me as if it was for the last time. It was tight and warm and very comforting.

“But didn’t you want to go back to South Korea?” He asked caressing my hair as I rested my head on his chest.

“Not now, not yet.” I mumbled as I lifted my head up to him. “Not now that you’re mine.”

He smiled and it made the moment more warm, comforting—more romantic. He gave me a gentle kiss on my forehead as I closed my eyes then down to my nose and slowly headed for my lips. “You do it.”

“No you do it.” I smiled teasingly. “I don’t know how to kiss.”

We lightly chuckled at that fact. “Should I teach you?”

“How much is the tutorials per hour?”

“Well for you…” He paused. “I’ll do it for free. Let’s just start with the basic.” He said then kissed me lightly on the lips. The kiss lasted for a second but it will be remembered forever. It was our first kiss and my first kiss…I think. “Don’t you worry I’ll follow in Korea as soon as possible.”

“You promise?” I asked.

“I promise you.” He tightened his hug for the last time and then let go of me.

“Then you should not teach anyone how kiss while I’m gone.” I chuckled as we continued to walk.

“Don’t worry, you’re my only student.” We met eyes and smiled. “Just wait for me there, arasseo?”

“Ne, arasseo.” I replied in a child-like manner. “Can you take me to the airport tomorrow?”

 

------------------------

 

“Yah, you better call me once you set foot on Korea.” Elle said tapping my shoulders. “There, I’ll give you two some privacy now.”

We have been waiting for my flight for like forever before Elle finally gave me and Karam the time to talk to each other.

“Finally I get to talk to you.” I said with a sigh when Elle walked away. “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you even more than what you expect me to.” Karam said pulling me by my hips. “Say hello to Korea for me.”

“I surely will.” I smiled hanging my hands around his neck as we both look at each other. “You know what? People are looking.”

“I don’t care.” He said moving his head closer attempting to kiss me.

“Your fan girls might kill me.” I said smiling before his lips touched mine. “Having a girlfriend may ruin your career.”

“I don’t care about my career.” He said then gave me that short, sweet, lingering kiss.

“All passengers from flight…” Someone said behind the speakers telling me that I have to go on board already.

“I love you.” I said then out of the blue, he hugged me tightly as if not permitting me to go.

“I love you more than you expect.” He whispered then finally let me go and before I knew it, a heart shape padlock necklace hung around my neck.

“A necklace.” I smiled rubbing the pendant. “Thank you. It’s pretty.”

He smiled back at me then I realized he was also wearing a necklace: a key shaped one. “Just to make sure I’m the only one who can access your heart.”

I chuckled biting my lower lip still not ready to say goodbye.

“Go on, you might miss your plane.” He smiled though it was obvious how he’s hesitating to let me go. “Don’t worry I’m a good boy I won’t find any other girl.”

I chuckled again then suddenly hugged him for the last time. “Just make sure of that or else if ever I find out you have another girl here you won’t be able to step on the lands of South Korea anymore.” I whispered as we both chuckled then I finally let go of him.

I turned my back around and took one step away dragging my trolley. That one step turned to two and many more. Sooner I found myself sitting inside the first class seat while adjusting my watch. Goodbye Japan, hello South Korea.

-------------------------------

 

I've been watching K-dramas and Movies in the past days. I finished Sungyunkwan Scandal and What's Up in three days and yep, I got zombie eyes. I rewatched My Wife is a Gangster, Windstruck, My Sassy Girl, JeniJuno, A Moment to Remember, He's Cool, 100 Days with Mr. Arrogant, My Tutor Friend 1 & 2, She's on Duty and many other more... I never get tired of watching them. <3