Old Road Back Home

Memories Stored in the Heart

 

Hanna’s POV

 

The night continued normally. I had a nice talk with Jake while the guys talked and bragged to each other. I couldn’t help but feel a bit awkward, especially towards L. Good thing he decided to leave first so the tension in the room that I felt lessened.

Sooner it was time to go home I have to bid my newly found bestfriend, Jake, farewell. It’s odd how I feel really light being with her. I feel like we’ve known each other for forever, how we can sometimes finish each other’s sentences. Whoever her former bestfriend is, I sure reminded Jake of her.

“Annyeong haseyo, Hanna.” She said to me. “Take care ok?”

“I will, of course.” I smiled at her while the two other guys approached us. “Annyeong haseyo, Jake.”

“I’ll take Jaekyung home tonight.” L.joe declared while Jake stood surprised.

“My house is just a few blocks away. I’d rather go home by myself.” She said with an attitude then started walking away.

“I’m already going bro.” He tapped Karam’s arm and gave me a warm smile. “Yah, my baby’s at this way!”

“Aish! You drive it too fast!” I could hear Jake complain.

“Come on, I’ll take you home already.” He offered but there’s still something bothering me inside. “Are you ok?”

“Yeah, yes I am.” I said with a convincing smile. “But I think I’ll reject your offer.”

“But it’s already late.” He reasoned in a protective manner but it was rather sweet than annoying. “You shouldn’t be going home alone.”

“It’s fine.” I said asking him to trust me. “The driver is coming already to pick me up.”

“Then I’ll wait with you until he comes, arasseo?” I just nodded in reply.

“Oppa,” I started another conversation. “Do you think it’s weird to feel déjà vu more than once in a single day?”

“Eh? Déjà vu?” He wondered about my strange question. “It’s already weird to feel it once in a lifetime how much more several times a day?”

“Oh,” I said with a bit of disappointment in my tone. “Then do you think—“ I was distracted by the ringing of his phone. “Aren’t you going to answer it?”

“Aren’t you going to ask me something?” He said back.

“No, it’s not really that important, you should answer the phone.” I told him with assurance.

After hearing some “Yeah,” “yes”, “Uh-huh”, and “ok”, he put the phone call to an end.

“So?” I asked when he looked at me with apologetic eyes.

“They need me back at the dorm.” He explained.

“Oh, then its fine, I can wait by myself. I think he’s somewhere near already.”

“Are you sure you’ll be fine?” He asked me clearly worried.

“I can handle myself.”

“Call me if anything bad happens.”

“I will.” I smiled to reassure him that I’ll be fine by myself. “You should go already.”

“Take care ok?” He said pulling me close for hug then kissed me on the forehead.

“You too,” I gave him a smile and watched him leave.

In less than a minute, my own phone rang and it surprised me to see an unregistered number calling.

“Hello?” I asked the person on the other end of the line.

“Hello, Ms. Gong Hanna.” It was the driver’s voice on the other end. “I couldn’t go and pick you up. A minor accident happened on my way there and the police need my statement.”

“I understand.” I said and sighed. “I’ll go home myself. I can handle myself.”

“Thank you for understanding, Ms. Gong.” He said with an apologetic tone. “I’m really sorry.”

“It’s ok, just take care of yourself.” I assured him. “I’ll start my way, goodbye.”

After the phone call I started to walk to find the nearest train station. Thoughts started to walk into my mind with my every step and among those thoughts came L.

There is something in the way he looks at me and the way he treats me. I feel like I have been ignored before him and I can’t remember when. I’m always the center of attention in my school, a Queenka so I’m sure I’m not yet familiar with being ignored. But with him, I feel like I once knew that feeling. L may look at me at times but he never talked to me. I don’t know what his problem with me is. He confuses me.

He always reminds me of something I don’t know, of something that was once a part of me but I don’t know what and I don’t mind knowing at all. It’s like he’s been a part of my life somewhere, that there’s a memory we shared…a memory that only lives in a dream…or probably a nightmare. I don’t know where to search for him in my brain. Kim Myungsoo—L. Who is he?

Suddenly, a dog’s barking from the neighborhood broke my train of thoughts and woke me up. I paused and looked around. The place looks oddly familiar to me so I continued walking to make sure when have I been here. I stopped in front of a house and my feet seemed to have its own mind to approach the property without asking my mind first. I know this will be trespassing but my feet wouldn’t listen. As I was only a step away from the door, my heart started to race.

“Chung Ae-ah,” Someone called from behind as I started to have goosebumps when I heard the name.

--------------------------------------------

L’s POV

I couldn’t handle to see the girl I love with someone else, especially with a friend. It hurts more to see her smile and laugh because of another guy than to see her crying because of another one. I can comfort her and tell her that I’m just here by her side when another guy hurt her. But what can I do if she’s having fun with another one? Nothing, merely nothing. I couldn’t stop her from being happy.

I need to do something before it’s too late. I only want her to be happy in my arms. Greedy, yes, I may be greedy but that’s what loving has taught me.

I left earlier than the others and said that I’d be heading back to the dorm though I wasn’t. I left to find out about the truth.

I drove my car to the place where no one is taught to lie, a place where only the truth could be given: the orphanage.

“It’s past the time for visitation so I’m sorry, no one is allowed for a visit at this hour.” The guard told me after I banged on the gate.

“Ahjussi, please, I wouldn’t come here at this hour if this isn’t something important.” I explained.

“Who’s that?” Sister Ana suddenly appeared and probably heard our little argument.

“Annyeong Haseyo,” I politely greeted then bowed. “There’s something important I want to ask and I’ll be glad to hear the answer I want.”

I could see she was surprised by my sudden frankness but she let me into her office for a clear talk.

“Seeing you here is surprising. I guess it’s too important for you to come here.” Sis. Ana said when we arrived in her office.

“Yes, it is. A very important thing for me in fact.” I said emphasizing the word ‘very’.

“What is it about?”

“Gong Hanna: I came to ask about Gong Hanna.” The moment I said it, she looked like she was struck with lightning or saw a ghost in front of her.

“You must understand, Mr. Kim that I cannot hand out any information about anyone from the orphanage without the consent of the right people.”

“Please, please?” I begged her thinking that I really have to get the girl I want. “Please understand how important this thing is to me. I loved a girl for the first time and the next thing I knew is that she’s gone before I could tell her what everything.“ I desperately explained.

“I pity you, son, I do.” She said with apologetic eyes. “It’s just that Mr. Gong told us not to tell anyone about her.”

“Please, I came here knowing that you’d tell me the truth as I know nobody will.”

“She sighed and now she’s doubting whether she should tell me or not. But being a good nun, she needs to help those who are in need. I am in need.

“We found her body near the Han river a year and eight months ago from now.” She started finally trusting me. “She was soaked and almost drowned. We even thought that she’s dead but she wasn’t. We brought her here for medications and after a few days, she gained consciousness. The only problem was she couldn’t remember anything…even her own name.

“After two months, someone came and claim her as his daughter: it was Mr. Gong Hyun Shik. We refused to release her from the orphanage until he gives a proof that she’s his daughter so Mr. Gong approved to set a DNA test. The result was positive so we couldn’t hold her in the orphanage any longer and besides, we think Mr. Gong is a good man. On that same day Hanna was released, she was sent to Japan.”

My heart pounded with her every word. Everything pointed to Chung Ae, everything she said is clearly stating that Gong Hanna and Chung Ae are one. One thing left for confirmation.

I searched for her picture in my wallet that I secretly got from Jaekyung and showed it to the said nun.

“This is her right?” I asked with all hope that I was right.

“Yes, this is the old Hanna.” She nodded while she held the picture. “Actually, I almost didn’t recognize her when she visited that same day when you were also here.”

I was beyond happy to have confirmed that my suspicions are right after all. I wanna hug her right at this moment and make her mine again. While the only problem here is how to make her mine again.

In the middle of my mind celebration, my phone suddenly received a message from L.joe.

Do you know where Karam went off? I think I just saw her girl on my way back from Jake.

The message for me was a sign, a sign of what I should do this instant. I instantly left the orphanage thanking the nun and headed to her old residence.

She was there unknowingly walking towards the door. I couldn’t contain myself in so much happiness that I broke my silence and stopped myself from just staring at her.

“Chung Ae-ah,” I said and sighed heavily when she turned to me before she could fully turn the knob.

--------------------------------------------

[[A/N]]

Oh helloo guys!  It has been so loooooooooong ever since I last updated. I'm really really really 1000x sorry! So Busy with school and fangirling with EXO. 

Oh well guys, we are near the end. :(((( I'm really happy with your comments and all. Thank YOU~~~~~~ ILOVEYOU~~~ :D