Mortified

Memories Stored in the Heart

 

 

Chung Ae’s POV

 

“That was great, man!” L.joe complimented as we approach L who was still breathless after the run.

“Congratulations!” Jake told him.

“I can’t believe I’ll be saying this but you did great!” I shortly smiled and handed him a bottle of water.

“Thanks,” He said then started drinking his water.

I unintentionally stare at him drinking. His perfect jaw line came even more prominent when he tilted his head up. Sweat draining from his head all over his body. I stared at him with amazement. How can such human being still be good looking with all those sweat? My mouth almost dropped but then I realized what I was doing when he finished drinking and gave me a look. I just coughed it out and it caught L’s attention more that he didn’t know that there was someone running behind him. He lost his balance when the guy hit him and so he fell down the ground. The guy however didn’t even look back.

“Are you ok?” I asked trying to help him up.

“!” He winced he tried to stand up. “My ankle, I think it’s sprained.”

“We got to go to the clinic for treatment.” L.joe placed L’s arm on his shoulders to support him in walking. “Let’s go.”

“Oh, yeah, you just go I still have my library duties.” I excused myself after looking down to my watch. I’m not even needed there and besides, it’s not my fault he sprained his ankle.

“Can you be a responsible girlfriend?” My eyes narrowed with what I hear. It was from L’s mouth. “What will they all say here, huh? They would all start suspecting this is all an act.”

“Well that will be because you’re saying it all out loud right now.”

“Yah, you’d pick library duties than your boyfriend?”

“If it is you, I’d rather choose library duties.”

Everybody was looking at us right now. I could see people whispering and talking with envious and irritated eyes.

“Let’s just go to the clinic guys come on.” Jake said dragging me with them to the clinic.

----------------

 

“Does it still hurt?” I asked L after applying the pain reliever ointment on his sprained ankle.

The medical personnel are out for a while, Jake left for a volleyball practice and L.joe wandering at the clinic’s another compartment.

“Not that painful anymore. Just put that bandage on and I think I can handle to walk.”

I unrolled the bandage found inside the kit and started to cover the injured part.

“Aish!” His loud voice echoed around the room with a wince and irritation. “Don’t tighten it, damn it! And don’t move my feet too much!”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” I apologized. “I didn’t mean to.”

“Just be sure you really didn’t mean it!”

“Yes, sir!” I saluted then finished putting the bandage. “You can walk now, sir. And I can go to the library now before Mrs. Seo wonders where I went to.” I gave him wide but obviously irritated smile which turned to pucker when I turned my back from him.

I went out of the clinic with the two but maintain a distance from them. Though lots of people are gathering and walking at the corridors, it’s safe to act normal since they would not focus their attention on us. Not until Krystal showed up with her two other apprentices. I quickly stepped close between L and L.joe while the crowd around the corridor parted like Moses parting the Red Sea.

“Look, it’s the Kingkas and the loser. What a bunch?”

“Can you step aside Krystal? You’re blocking our way.” L scornfully said.

“It’s you who are blocking our way. But wait, I got something to ask your loser girlfriend here.” Krystal backfired as she emphasizes the word “girlfriend” everyone turned to our direction.

“What is it?” I asked ready to fight word by word.

“Don’t mind her let’s just go.” L.joe said ready to leave: L holding my hand also prepared to leave the situation out of boredom.

“How did you enter this school, pig?” I paused then untangled L’s grip. Her question seems quite alarming and personal.

“There’s no need for you to know.” I said with all the people’s eyes on us.

“Come on let’s just go.” L whispered to me with a yawn then gripped my hand again. I was ready to get away when Krystal suddenly blurted out.

“I guess your mom lured the principal.” Krystal laughed with two of her other friends and some people whispered to each other.

I froze. What does this girl knows about me? I looked back at her with fierce eyes. My heart wanted to burst, my eyes wanted to burst. But I’m holding it back, Krystal might find out about my weakness.

“So tell us, piggy, of how your mother raised you?” She continued.

I can afford to talk about myself, of how ugly I am; of how ill-mannered I am. Just not drag my mom into this.

“What is she talking about?” L asked me as I untangled again his grip. I didn’t answer.

People murmured more prominently while I stood there frozen. Everyone’s eyes were on me: even L and L.joe. I got no one to turn to, no one to defend me.

“You can’t? Then maybe you wouldn’t mind if I tell them myself. Everyone—“

“Shut up Krystal! You’re going too far!” I shouted holding back the tears as I remembered my lonely-dark past with only my mom raising me. “You don’t know anything! You got no right to know anything, tell anyone about anything!”

I walked away leaving Krystal with a smile. I could feel everyone’s stares as I pass by them. I could still hear whispers and murmurs. My head ached as I hold back the tears inside me. My heart beats nervously, as if anytime it would stop. I could feel the sobs coming but I’m holding back. I ran, raced with my aching heart. I reached the library in no time and to my luck, it’s empty of people. I ran to the center shelves and there I fell on my knees to the floor. I sat down leaning against the shelf hugging my feet and my head buried down. Just seconds after, I heard someone running coming to my place.

“Chung Ae-ah,” It was L.joe. He approached me panting. “Are you alright?”

I shook my head then felt him sit beside me.

“Right, I shouldn’t have asked that.” He sounded concern but yet, it’s not making me feel better. “But you can tell me about it. It might make you feel better. I won’t tell, I promise.”

I breathed in heavily.

-------------- 

 

LOL, i put two chapter ten. hahaha, how careless of me