Expiry Date

Memories Stored in the Heart

 

Chung Ae’s

It’s confirmed! Ahhhhhhhh!!!” Jaekyung screamed at the top of her lungs throughout my own apartment. “We’ll be having a date tomorrow!”

“Wow, that was just fast.” I’m actually having a bad feeling about this dating thing with Jake and that death note guy but I don’t want to kill my friends happiness. “Come on in.”

“I knew he likes me, I knew it, I knew it!” She screamed with giddiness as she came inside the room.

“He asked for your number yesterday… yesterday afternoon and now you’re having a date with him?”

“Never doubt the power of Go Jaekyung!” She sat on my cushion taking her phone out for a call. “Hey… yeah… uh huh…We just met today at school, L…oh, so you miss me that much, eh?” The lovey-dovey aura made me sick so I snatched the market bag of goods then headed to the kitchen to cook.

Is Jake really serious with him? I can conclude that that guy is nothing but a playboy. Judging from his moves with Jake, he’s fast. And surely he’ll get over with her faster. I don’t know why my friend here is so blinded with the looks when it comes to guys. But I couldn’t blame her. Every girl wants to marry a handsome man. It’s just that not all girls are meant to marry one.

“Oh my gosh, Chung Ae, why are you slicing your fingers?” She asked as I frantically looked down to the radishes I’m slicing.

“Yah, it scared me! I thought I was really slicing my fingers already!” I yelled at her.

“You sure seem to think deep about something.” She traced the edges of the table kitchen approaching me.

“Yah, stop there and go back to the living room! No, don’t touch anything here!” I yelled even more when she tried to help slice the ingredients. She’s bad at cooking, period. I won’t tell how she almost poisoned me once.

“Hmp,” She pouted then slowly made her way out of the kitchen.

“Jake,” She made a pause ready to hear what I want to say. “Be careful with your date.”

“It’s not like he’s a suspect for a murder case.” She chuckled.

“I’m just saying.” I shrugged my shoulder. “Now go back watch T.V.” I shooed her.

I’m sure, even if how many times Jake claims that she misses him, she’s still not in love. How do I know? Simply because she’s not changing for even a bit. Love changes a person right? Love does.

-----------

 

Three days have passed and Jake is still not showing up after the day of her awaited date. I wonder what happened to her. She didn’t even call, message or tell me anything. So now, I have decided to go see her in her own home just after school. I rang the bell and was surprised to see her mom pick up the door for me.

“Annyeong haseyo Mrs. Go, is Jaekyung home?” I asked.

“Aigoo, Chung Ae-ah, I see she haven’t even spoke to you yet. Come on in.” She invited inside and I gladly went in.

“Do you want anything my dear?”

“Ah, no thanks Mrs. Go. I’m all fine. I just wanted to check if Jake is alright.” My eyes wandered around the new interior style of the room.

“Right, go talk to her. I don’t get to make her talk but maybe you can. She’s upstairs.” Head turned to the stairs leading to the house’s second storey where Jake’s room was. “And oh, better stay for dinner, my dear.”

“Ne, kamsahamnida.” So bad Jake didn’t inherit her mother’s cooking skills.

I walk upstairs to her room and knocked.

“Jaekyung-ah,” I said while knocking but I heard nothing. “Jake, it’s me, Chung Ae.” I leaned my ears against the door but when I heard nothing, I decided to invade her room.

Well she was there, laying on her bed with her oversized shirt and boxer shorts on indicating that she didn’t do anything the whole day.

“Jake, what happened to you? Why aren’t you showing up at school? Why haven’t you even gave me a call or even pick up my calls? What’s wrong?” I bombarded her question which she couldn’t possibly answer judging on the situation right now.

I was expecting her to turn her head to me but she didn’t even bulge. I was growing impatient with her so I approach the bed grabbed a pillow and hit her all over.

“Yah, Jaekyung-ah, you don’t want to talk to me? I’ll make you talk.” I continued hitting her with all my might.

“Yah!” She finally gave in. “You came inside without my permission and now you’re hitting me?”

“And you, you know what keep doing to me, huh?” I keep hitting while she keeps on covering herself with her hands. “For three days I keep waiting for you to come. I waited for you to give me a call r a message but you, you didn’t!”

“Stop it!” She screamed and I finally stopped. “You better stop hitting me with that! I’ll throw you out of the house if you keep on doing that!”

“Then you better talk!” I screamed back at her.

There was silence over the room. Jake keeps staring at me as if I understand eye conversation.

“So, it’s because of that Death Note guy?” I lifelessly said her shallow problem then she burst out crying. “So I was right.”

“Well you jinxed it!” She sobbed but there was not a single tear that comes out. “You keep telling me to be careful with him, you make him seem like a bad guy and so he became one at the end.”

“Jake don’t be so naïve. He was a bad guy from the very start and you’re a fool not to notice that.” I said hugging her, giving her my shoulder.

“Yes, yes, I am a fool not to notice that! And that’s why I couldn’t go to school. I’m such a fool, a full idiot to fall for him! I couldn’t show myself to him. I’m afraid he’ll make fun of me.”

“Then you’re such an idiot!” I scolded her. “Why do keep hiding here in your den? If you want to show him you’re not an idiot you have to SHOW UP!”

“We’ll I just can’t! We belong in the same class and he sits right after me.” She keeps on sobbing.

“Wasn’t that the same thing you said a few days…a week ago? The only difference is your expression.”

“Aish, I really wonder how this conversation made me feel lighter. You’re right, I should go and stand up once again and show him I’m not his average girl.”