The Jelly Bean Coffee

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Come in.”

Kyungsoo locked his eyes down the computer as he finishes up an email. He didn’t even notice that it was his mother coming in until she cleared quite loudly. “Oh, Eomma.” He faintly greeted, his eyes automatically travelling towards the glass wall to check Junsoo’s office, specifically his girls. They seem to be both inside, that’s good. Mrs. Do sighed worryingly as she marched over to the chair in front her son’s table. “How’s your trip?” Kyungsoo then asked after earning silence. The old lady leaned on the chair, relaxed both elbows on its sides before lifting her hand up to massage her temples. “Your father is staying for another week in California for work, I decided not to wait and just came back home. I don’t want to deal with him anymore, it’s exhausting. He’s been quite stressed out chasing this one potential partnership.” She finally spoke as she took her phone out.

Kyungsoo blinked as he cleared his throat with a light cough. “Are you guys okay?” He finally had the heart to ask. He usually never dares to get involved in his parents’ relationship but after his mother’s recent confession about her second-thoughts on Seungsoo, he kind of softened up to her a little bit. “It’s just. . . he’s been very difficult since we cut ties with the Gong’s. I mean, not technically cut ties. We just didn’t go through with the partnership after the engagement was cancelled. He was really upset about that, he had so many plans.” Mrs. Do explain, not seemingly trying to guilt-trip him as she also looked distressed towards her husband. “You know, he originally had planned the partnership through your brother years ago then. . . then your brother left and now it was Soyoung herself who cancelled it.”

Kyungsoo nodded before leaning to the chair to stop working.  “Well, that’s weird, Soyoung’s only like, what, twenty-six? She would have been eighteen at that time and my brother, twenty-five—that’s a little weird? Would you have pushed through that if he didn’t leave? No wonder he left then.” He groaned in disgust as he looked back at his mother who seems to also feel the same way. “No—yeah—we were gunna wait until she was twenty-one actually but whatever, that’s why I was more relieved when it was you because you were younger. I never necessarily agreed to everything your father decides on—don’t tell him that, please.” Mrs. Do defended and then pleaded in the end, seemingly aware that she’s spilling so much tea. Kyungsoo could only shake his head. “I will never understand your ways of business, you and Abeoji, I am now a businessman myself but I never felt the need to do such impractical things for the sake of making business.” He muttered before looking back to his computer, wanting to avoid any further weird confessions from her.

“But you felt the need to hire your college secret lover into our company?”

Kyungsoo’s fingers automatically froze down the keyboard. “W-what do you mean.” He muffled in panic, still avoiding his mother’s eyes. Mrs. Do looked down and sighed. “And. . . i-is that my granddaughter?” She then asked, this time her tone sounded less interrogating, almost seemingly defeated. Kyungsoo remained silent, still not willing to address the question, it’s barely a question by now. He observed his mother’s expression that gradually softens up as she stared back at him. “She—” She finally broke into a small chuckle, tears forming in her eyes. “—she looks like you, a little bit of the mother too” Kyungsoo’s shoulders slowly loosens up as he fixed his tie.

There was silence between the mother and son for a little while. Kyungsoo didn’t know if he’s officially in trouble or not, he can’t seem to tell by the way his mother is currently reacting. “Ugh.” He groaned to himself as he leaned his head back to his chair and looked up, his fingertips tapping impatiently on the edge of his table. “I. . . I have never felt that before. The—wow, I don't  even know what to really say to you. It’s just. . .” Mrs. Do chuckled again as she wiped her tears.

Kyungsoo looked at her again cautiously. “The moment I realized it was her, I. . . instantly felt something? I—uh—I’m sorry.” She finally broke down in tears which surprised the younger man. “I’m sorry.” She repeated while staring at him in tears. “I—I don’t know what I’ve been doing, what I’ve been feeling over this situation, all these years. Kyungsoo, she’s beautiful.” Finally, a relieved smile formed in Kyungsoo’s lips. His heart beat so fast as he watched his mother cry with love. He cleared his  throat as he tried hard not to smile so much. “I actually don’t know. . . what really happened to you, what changed you but I’m very relieved.” He admitted making his mother chuckle.

Mrs. Do remained silent. She looked down with a smile. “You remember, the last time we talked about this woman. . . when I challenged you to go to her and tell her what you feel. You didn’t do it, right?” She asked out of nowhere. Kyungsoo sighed and looked away before shaking his head. “That moment. . .” She had her brows furrowed as if she’s imagining the scene in her head. “I felt it in my heart, as your mother, how much you wanted to. How much you feel for this woman. But the way your eyes looked back at me at that time, it was full of fear. Full of insecurity towards me. It heavily reminded me of the last time I looked at your brother before he left us.” She cried. “And despite seeing that from him at that time, he still left. That scared me that you would also come to that point. I didn’t want to lose you as well; I wouldn’t be able to survive it.”

Kyungsoo grew up as a very awkward non-affectionate man and he didn’t know how to respond to everything his mother was saying. He just sat there in silence despite the growing happiness inside of him. “But your father. . . I have to. . . be by his side all the time, no matter what. I have to agree to everything he says because he’s my husband. He can’t see the situation the way I did as a mother. So. . .” Mrs. Do brushed her hand across her purse while looking down to it. “Okay, are you not even going to hug me? I’m saying all these things and you—Do Kyungsoo.” She suddenly frowned in disbelief as she looked up to him. Kyungsoo immediately stood up like a scared dog before walking over to his mother. “You just. . . you’re—I don’t know what to think about this.” He muttered and that’s when Mrs. Do stood up and hugged him herself.

“What I want you to do now, as your mother. . . you and that woman figure this out before your father finds out about this so then by the time we tell him, you hold a strong case to fight for with you. I know your father; it’s going to be difficult to change his mind if your groundwork isn’t even that solid. Be thankful your father has never met Yebin, ever, so there’s a zero chance he would recognize her, that gives you more time.” She whispered and pulled away from the hug. Kyungsoo blinked, still in shock. “It’s Yerin. But. . . y-you’re. . . you’re willing to keep this a secret too?” he asked. Mrs. Do chuckled. “Willing to keep what? I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She turned around and grabbed her purse.

“Eomma—ugh, come on.” Kyungsoo called and sighed impatiently. “What? I said I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Mrs. Do turned to him with a smile before opening the door. “Really? That’s not quite nice of you to just leave me here thinking whether you’re keeping it or not because I have a family to protect here, you know.” Kyungsoo interrogated which finally made his mother close the door again and look at him sternly. “I’m telling you; I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t know anything; I came here to visit my son after my long trip. You didn’t even say you missed me.” She said before lifting her hand up to and doing a zipping motion across her lips. She then turned around and completely stepped out, closing the door without even saying goodbye.

Kyungsoo slowly took a step back until his lower back hit the edge of the table. He leaned on it for support, a very amused smile forming in his lips. He can't believe what happened just happened. He then walked over to the door and peeked out at the glass portion of it. His mother is standing at the very edge of the wall of Junsoo’s office, peeking inside but making sure she's not seen. “Eomma.” He mumbled and laughed, finding it adorable how his mother is now very much fangirling over her granddaughter.

If only she had the heart to do it much earlier, years ago. Nevertheless, he never even expected his mother to ever have a change of heart.

It only encourages him more to finally take control of his life, knowing that even secretly, his mother got his back.

 

 

Kyungsoo moved his eyes around, awkwardly like always, as they sat all together in the dining table having dinner. Yerin was too tired to cook and so they ordered food, Japanese food in particular. Yerin hasn’t spoken to him ever since they got home and he wasn’t quite sure why. He turned to Inyoung and wiped the side of her lips that had a crumb of rice. Yerin on the other hand observed him just as well every chance she gets, whenever he isn’t looking. She’s waiting for him to tell him if they’re already caught by his mother. He hasn’t said anything yet and it’s starting to scare her.

Clearing his throat, Kyungsoo grabbed the pitcher of juice and poured some on Yerin’s already empty glass. He looked at her while doing so. “Thanks.” Yerin mumbled before grabbing the glass to drink as soon as he was done. “Appa, I wanna work in your store when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter