The Decision-making

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I assume everyone is very confused right now. We only do this kind of company conference with me annually.”

The whole Avantgarde team sat in their chairs silently. They were all brought into their biggest conference hall where they only usually hold launches, events and conferences with all the executives like right now. “This is going to be really fast so everyone can move on with their work.” Kyungsoo continued as he stood at the very center of the elevated stage. His eyes scanned right through Yerin’s direction who’s at the very back along with the newer employees like herself. She wasn’t even aware this conference hall existed at the very rooftop of the whole warehouse with an enclosed tent. She looked back at the CEO, trying to communicated with him through her eyes, jus as confused and intrigued as everybody else.

“So, for starters, my engagement that was recently announced about two weeks ago, it’s off. It’s not going to happen so I do not want to have anyone here speak of it again.” Kyungsoo looked over to his people, observing their facial reactions. They could see some whispering at each other, most of them didn’t look surprised at all. The faint whispers from people made his ears hurt in irritation. He could already guess what they’re thinking of why the engagement was off.

“And to clear up all the allegations, all the rumors that is surfacing here. Rumors that has been surfacing here for years about me that I have endured because I just felt like it’s the most ridiculous bull ever. . . until it came to the point that it just had to stop.” When he cursed, everyone looked away from the front. He sighed heavily to compose himself and not curse any further. “I am not gay.” His last sentence sounded sterner than before making every single one in the tented rooftop go silent. So silent that they could hear the strong winds hitting the tent walls. He glared at all of them, wishing he could do it to each and one of them for real.

“I have nothing against people who are, I do not care what preference you all have here. I do not limit my intellectual understanding to two genders only. . . but don’t you ever ever try to manipulate my own gender or my own preference and make up all these unnecessary assumptions just because you have never seen me involved with a woman in a romantic way before. Especially when all of you here have jobs because of me.” They remain silent including the higher executives who are very much surprised of the very blunt announcement. Most of them smiling, feeling proud that the man finally spoke up.

 

At the very back, Yerin just stood there with a small smile. Watching him talk upfront, hearing his stern authoritative voice and seeing his smug look – she found it very attractive. Until now, this rumor just makes her laugh so much. She’s surprised that Kyungsoo addressed it like this but at the same time, she’s happy that it’s hopefully going to be stopped now. For her, it’s just as ridiculous. “I don’t have to tell what happens in my personal life. It’s none of your business. I could be—” Kyungsoo looked back at her making her nervous. “—very much in love with a woman right now but I still don’t see the need to tell all of you just for approval, theoretically speaking.” When he said the last phrase, Yerin bit her bottom lip to hold her smile. Kyungsoo kept a straight yet calm face without looking away from her. “We are all working together professionally and it’s going to stay that way. Thank you, you may proceed to your work.” He finally cut off the heated eye-contact with her before walking down from the stage and walking out of the venue. As all the employees made their way out as well, Sohee rushed to Yerin’s side. “Do you believe him? I don’t know what to think. He sounded way too defensive, right?” The woman whispered in between giggles. “Oh my g—seriously?” Yerin asked in disbelief but laughed anyway. She cannot believe Kyungsoo blowing up and making this big conference just for that is still not enough for these people. She could also hear some employees shaking their heads and saying the same thing to each other as they made their way out.

When she got into the office that she shares with Junsoo, her eyes immediately caught a stem of flower on top of her desk. It was just a small one, pink-purple petals that has a bright yellow center. She looked around her, everyone just walking back into their respective offices. Junsoo on the other hand just got in. “Yerin, you look pretty with a flower but you’re not supposed to pick that from the rooftop. Didn’t you see the sign there? No picking flowers, I’ll let you go this time though. I don’t really care, just saying for the future.” He said and Yerin just stood there in confusion. “O-oh, sorry.” She just apologized to now prolong the awkward accusation. “Could you make some coffee for me, please? Thank you. For today, you just focus on the files I gave you yesterday, I know you haven’t finished that anywy.” Junsoo then went to his professional mode and started working on his desk. “Sure, Mr. Kim.” She gave a small bow before walking out. She kept the flower on her hand, looking at it with wonder. She didn’t even really look at all the flowers upstairs, most of them are starting to wither out because of weather is starting to get cooler, leaves are drying out. She’s surprised there’s still some that are good, must be the specific kind of flower.

Her eyes then searched for Kyungsoo’s office and without further ado, she walked out. She glanced at Junsoo to make sure he’s not noticing the different route she’s taking.

Once she was close, she slowly passed by the glass walls of the office and Kyungsoo met her eyes immediately. She acted as if she had only happened to really walk by. She gave him a knowing yet accusing smile while holding the flower up. He’s the only one she could think of that is going to do this, without a doubt. Kyungsoo cleared his throat, keeping a straight face before looking away. His ears were starting to heat up into a pink color making chuckle some more. “Jesus Christ, what are we, in high school?” She mumbled to herself before deciding to just leave it alone. He won’t admit it anyway. She looked around the empty hallway, everyone’s busy working.

She could hear telephones, faint voices and printing machines in the offices all at the same time but for some reason, she feared that her heartbeat is much louder – she could feel it quite well. She coughed it out a few times before putting the stem of flower into her pocket. “Focus, Yerin. You’re working.” She whispered to herself as she walked to the direction of the break room this time to make coffee.

 

 

Kyungsoo tapped his pen frantically against the empty folder in front of him. His eyes darted down the glass walls of his office, specifically out across the hallway and towards Junsoo’s office on the end a few doors away. He felt so foolish for doing such a high school thing of secretly leaving that on her desk like a secret admirer and he felt even more foolish when she walked by to show him that ‘she knows’ this morning, catching him off guard.  He picked that flower out of reflex, he didn’t know what came to him. When he passed by it on his way out of the rooftop after his big speech, he just thought of Yerin right away. He also took another one, for Inyoung, which he hid in his pocket. He took it out to look at it once more, a smile immediately drawing across his face. Yerin and Inyoung – the only flowers in his life, it just feels so right. However, he doesn’t even know how to begin, how to redo. Is it possible? He feared that it won’t be even if he tries. A part of him still fears that it’s way too late now.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. He immediately put the flower back to his suit pocket. Seeing that it’s Junsoo from the glass panel of the door, he lifted his hand up and gestured him to come in.

“Hey dude.” He came in holding a few piles of folders. “These need some signature.” He walked over to the table and placed the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter