The Coffee Note

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“No, there’s no problem with my house. I just feel like trying out this new unit I purchased, Eomma. Don’t worry. Just enjoy your trip with Abeoji.”

He listened to his mother sigh on the other end. “Did you get rid of the other house you stay in? You keep purchasing houses and units, at least rent them out or something. You can’t just collect properties like that. I know that’s how you relieve stress, to live in different environment away from everybody and that’s good son but at least make some money out of it.” He rolled his eyes as he left the call on speaker as he finishes his packing. “Where is the other place located, at least? I know we all agreed not to share information about such things but since you found a new place to try out maybe I could help you sell out the other one?” Mrs. Do suggested. Kyungsoo sighed once more while shaking his head. “No, I don’t want to sell anything. Eomma, please, just let me be on this one. I do everything you want me to do so at least leave me alone when it comes to where I live.” He pleaded in frustration.

“I know that, son. I was just saying. . . I just hope you’re not lik—purchasing these places to hide random girls, cheating on all of them and locking them up in there if you’re secretly seeing someone right now, or seeing people right now. You know, I know you’re very successful now and I don’t want you to end up like those other successful bachelors who do those things.” She replied causing Kyungsoo to widen his eyes down the phone, completely stopping from what he was doing. “Okay—seriously? Now I’m a cheater? First, I’m gay and now I’m—I cannot believe I am hearing this right now. Also, I am not seeing anybody and no I’m not hiding random girls in these properties, Eomma.” He defended himself, trying his best to keep as calm as possible. “Okay, fine. That is pretty mean. I’m sorry.” Mrs. Do admitted with a sigh. “I just. . . I’m having troubles myself, so I’m sorry if I’m venting on you.” She added.

Kyungsoo’s expression calmed down as he grabbed the phone. “Everything alright?” He asked. He has never heard that kind of tone from his mother who’s always stubborn, cold and uptight. “I just. . . actually—uhm—yesterday, I finally called your brother’s current contact number that you gave me a few days ago. He answered but I—I couldn’t really talk. I don’t know, I hang up when I heard his voice.” Her defeated voice hurt Kyungsoo somehow, no matter how difficult and uptight she is, she’s always going to be his mother and he doesn’t like her acting this way. “I know you always tell me I should just accept his decisions, I know you said we should just accept his adopted children and that’s fine but—you know—your father and I had already caused his life so much trouble and we really don’t know how to get back on our feet to fix it with him. I feel like it’s too late, he’s. . . he seems happy without us anyway. Should I still bother? Maybe not, right?” She hesitantly chuckled on the other line.

Kyungsoo kept silent. Now he knows where he got this kind of mentality.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be telling you this. Please don’t tell your father anything about this. He’s out on a meeting right now so I’m alone in our vacation house—please, don’t tell your father. I don’t think he shares the same feeling as I do and I can’t really tell him that, he’s still the father. At least do that for me, I’m not forcing you to fight for your daughter anymore. I’m not even trying to do anything regarding that anymore. Just don’t ever tell your father I’m having second-thoughts in resisting your brother.” Mrs. Do pleaded and Kyungsoo felt the frustration in her voice.

She’s still a mother after all. The fact that she always knew about Kyungsoo being secretly present in Inyoung’s life, he always knew there’s still good in her for keeping it to herself. She wanted to meet her granddaughter but was always conflicted with the fact that Yerin is not one of their kind, something that has been a big no-no to his father’s side of the family. She went to the point of making him get custody of the child to leave Yerin behind just to maintain Mr. Do’s family legacy of business tycoons. She grew old into this strict, uptight mentality of business people more so after marrying one herself but she still has the mother’s nature no matter how much she tries and hide it. And now, hearing this, proved that to him even more.  

“I don’t know what to really say to you.” Kyungsoo sighed while shaking his head in disappointment. “Your father always said, children can always resist their parents but the parents can never do the same. And for him, that’s a very cruel truth. So, he wants to prove your brother wrong. He wants Seungsoo’s apology, he wants him to come back and admit he did wrong after all these years. I understand where your father’s coming from. We gave your brother all the knowledge he has, all the background influence that helped him do what he does now, we prepared him to be something really big and he left it all behind, he left us.” She defended. Kyungsoo scoffed. “I think you’re forcing to understand Abeoji but whatever you say.” He gave up. She’s way too submissive.

“No, I really do used to think alike him. I’m just. . . tired now. I’m old and I haven’t seen my eldest son for years. It’s tiring, you know. It’s tiring to be tough and selfish. Regarding your issue though, I still don’t think you would ever work things out with Inyoung’s mother cause she’s too different, what’s her name again? Yebin, is it?” She asked. Kyungsoo looked down and closed his eyes. “Sure.” He mumbled. “Yeah, she’s not as successful, she didn’t come from the same family, she didn’t have the right education but that’s really besides my point here to be honest. When I had that talk with her, mother to mother, she told me that she never wants to have anything to do with our business. . . with your career and that really stuck with me, she can never support you for who you are and it hurt me permanently. I’m your mother and I want you to only be around people who wants the best for you. So, I hope you understand my point of view on her, she literally doesn’t fit into your life and so as you aren't to hers.” She advised.

Time moves in unexplainable ways. People change, fate changes. . . and the Kwon Yerin he knows now is not that same dreamless and self-doubting Kwon Yerin he first met. She has gained so much more confidence when she finally found her path in life and Kyungsoo watched as she gets more and more beautiful because of her growth. He sees that even more now that they work together. But either way, he would have still loved her even if she stayed exactly the same as when he first met her.

And in her defense, she did support him for who he really is. The young man who wanted to be a veterinarian, not the businessman his parents made him to be.

“Okay, Eomma.” He just said to end the stressful topic. “Anyway, I should probably go now. I have an appointment with my massage therapist, relaxation is the number one solution for that stressful phone call I just had.” She breathed heavily making Kyungsoo chuckled. “I think the solution is to actually talk on the phone call but sure. Have fun, Eomma. I’m going now. Bye.” He ended the call first while shaking his head.

He really did get his being denial and uncertain from his mother.

 

 

“Appa!”

Yerin let Kyungsoo in together with his lugagges. Inyoung on the other hand immediately ran to him and hugging him with her healthy arm. The kid is still not aware that Kyungsoo’s going to live with them from now on. Yerin took the initiative to grab the lighter luggage that he has and walked straight into the guest room with it. “Appa, why do you have big bags? Are you going on a trip and you want to bye bye to me first?” Inyoung asked. Kyungsoo knelt down and checked on the kid’s injuries and arm. “Are you feeling better? Do they still hurt?” He asked while pointing at the bruises and scratches, lastly the arm.

“No no, I’m a strong woman! They don’t hurt so much anymore, even my arm.” Inyoung confidently cooed making Kyungsoo look at Yerin who’s now leaning by the door frame of the guest room. “Where’d that come from.” He chuckled in surprise before looking back down to Inyoung again. “I’m glad that you’re being very strong but you’re not a woman yet though. You’re still a baby girl to me, okay? Don’t be a woman yet, it’s too soon. I can’t handle that right now.” He reminded her before planting a light kiss on her forehead. He then eyed Yerin, wanting her to start the announcement. Yerin widen his eyes at him before walking away first and into the kitchen. Kyungsoo flicked his tongue in defeat before standing up straight and grabbing Inyoung’s healthy hand to take her along.

“So, Inyoung.” He started before lifting the kid right up on the kitchen counter once they arrived in. Kyungsoo glanced at Yerin who took out a bottle of water that she gave to him. “What do you think about your Appa living here with you and Eomma? Appa lost his house recently and I have nowhere to really go.” He continued earning a surprised chuckle from Yerin who did not expect that kind of excuse. “Which house, Appa? You have many many houses, you said.” Inyoung asked in concern. “Uh-oh, lost the battle right away.” Yerin mumbled softly just enough for him to hear before walking back to the fridge. Kyungsoo sighed and glared at her. “But Appa can live here, of course! Eomma, Appa can live with us, right?” Inyoung then suddenly added, giving the mic drop privilege back to Kyungsoo.

“Hm, sure. Why not!” Yerin laughed as she closed the fridge and leaned on it. “Yippie! Appa’s going to live with us for real? This is now the best day of my life and it’s not my birthday yet!” Inyoung squealed and as much as she wanted to jump on her father right now, she couldn’t so she just reached her healthy arm out and the father immediately got the signal and lifted her up into his arm. “That easy, right.” Kyungsoo turned to Yerin with a smirk before walking to the guest room with the kid. “Can you help Appa unpack his stuff then?”

Yerin shook her head as a small yet insecure smile drew on her face. A part of her is still very much frightened of this new set up between her and Kyungsoo.

 Ding Dong.

“Oh, crap.” Yerin muffled as she rushed to the door. It must be Baekhyun already. She hasn’t told him anything yet, she simply doesn’t know how to tell anyone who’s aware of their story. “Hey!” She beamed out of reflex to hide her panic. Baekhyun almost jumped in surprise because of the strength of the welcoming. “O-okay? Good morning.” He laughed while stepping in. “So, I’m planning to lessen my hours for today and tomorrow just to allow Inyoung to rest more. I got important notes from the days she had missed and we’ll just pretty much tackle those as much as she can, no quizzes or anything sinceI’m guessing she’s still not quite comfortable using her right arm? I mean unless she wants to but I already prepared the lesson plan this way.” He walked straight to the table and started taking out his tutoring notes and papers. Yerin stood there in silence behind him, she fiddled with her fingers while thinking of the best way to break the news to him.

He’s going to be the first person she’s gunna have to tell the news on, aside from her parents who officiated the go signal to her so they technically don’t count. How does she even do it properly? How does she explain i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter