The Stock Room Scare

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The experience was surreal, maybe surreal is an understatement. Yerin just got out of the conference room after the creative department just had their seasonal team assembly, it’s her first time but because she has made good relationship with almost everyone, she was comfortable to speak up and share opinions with them. The executives let everyone talk and give their thoughts about the fall collection that they have just released. It was refreshing, Yerin never had a voice back in her old company. “I can tell that the lead creatives liked your ideas, I honestly wouldn’t even have the balls to talk like you did.” Sohee nudged her as they walk together to the lunch room. “They liked Hyebin’s and Taekhyung’s opinions too. I think they will listen to you as long as you have an idea, they probably like it better. Makes it easier for them to come up with strategies.” Yerin encouraged her back.

It was only yesterday when she had that big talk with Baekhyun, it was heartbreaking yet so necessary for her own sanity. She never realized everything she did yesterday until Baekhyun pointed them out. She felt extremely bad to have rejected him but at the same time, he insisted. There’s a part of her that fears it would be the last time she was going to see him but at the same time, she knew he speaking the truth. He’s not going anywhere. He’s already very special to her and she’s very grateful of how understanding he is. “Oh, I guess CEO is back. He didn’t work last Thursday and Friday, right? Business trip I assume? Haven’t seen him since the announcement of his engagement last Wednesday, that’s not normal of him to miss work without prior notice.” Sohee interrupted her thoughts mentioning the man. She’s been successful with not thinking about him since this morning.

Yerin glanced at Kyungsoo’s office, still no lights inside. “Maybe he got sick? I don’t know.” She guessed; she really wasn’t sure either. The last time he kind of heard from him was when he texted Inyoung. “Anyway, how’s your daughter? Your Instagram post of her yesterday was so cute with the dried leaves confetti. Was that your boyfriend in the background talking?” Sohee changed the topic as they went into the room. Yerin chuckled and shook her head. “I don’t have a boyfriend actually, that’s my good friend. He’s Inyoung’s teacher and weekend tutor. We sometimes hang out after their session when we have time.” She cleared the speculation out immediately.

The two of them started eating as other employees enter to take their own lunch, majority of the employees usually go out and they normally go out in big groups. Only a small number of them bring their own lunch. “Is it hard?” Sohee then casually ask in between chews. “What’s that?” Yerin looked up to her, putting her fork down. “I’m married and it is hard to raise our kid together. But you, you’re not married. You don’t even have someone special?” The older lady asked. At this point, they were close enough to talk about these sorts of stuff and so Yerin didn’t feel awkward. “Yeah but I co-parent with her father and we have a schedule, I told you, right?” She replied with a smile.

“Yeah, but the kid’s still mostly in your care all alone. What is every other weekend? He should take more. It’s very unfair. He already got away with having to marry you, he could at least try to be more involved. For me, it’s really unfair. I don’t know how you do it.” Yerin could feel the friendly concern from Sohee but she doesn’t really understand and most especially, she has no idea who the father is. “He’s very busy and with that. . . it helps us to give Inyoung a more comfortable life. In a way, that’s his part. I do have a part financially too but he takes care of more when it comes to that. Ugh, it’s hard to explain. All I can tell you is that he’s literally the busiest man on earth.” She laughed, full of confidence with her answer.

Sohee scoffed. “Is he CEO?” Yerin almost spit her food but she managed to cover before it could happen. “Because he is the busiest man on earth. Your baby daddy can’t beat him. Gosh, I already feel bad for Miss Soyoung and they’re not even married yet.” The woman added. Yerin couldn’t make up any words for a while. She knew the woman was literally being sarcastic and was innocently comparing but it made her panic somehow. “W-why would you feel bad?” Eventually, she managed to continue on with the chit-chat. “I mean come on, CEO is obviously gay. That’s one.” Sohee whispered and looked around to check if there’s anyone to hear it. “Two, even if he wasn’t gay, everyone could tell that he has Z-E-R-O interest in her. I don’t know how Miss Soyoung can put up with that. She’s such a perfection, she deserves better.” Sohee then added before quickly covering when another employee came in for lunch.

“I seriously. . . don’t understand where you get such rumor? Who started it? I kind of. . . don’t see it?” Yerin mouthed ever so faintly to keep it between the two of them. Sohee merely shrugged her shoulders before taking another bite of her food.

Just then, their chit-chatty lunch break was interrupted when Junsoo came in next. “Yerin, after lunch, can you come with me down the warehouse? We need to check some new deliveries; I was told that there’s some damages in two of the big shipping. We need to get some shots of it and record it so we can send them back as soon as possible. Alright?” The manager tapped the door while speaking. Yerin stood up briefly, nodded and bowed which earned her the usual creepy wink the man gives her. “Oh, by the way. The papers you uh—we were preparing for signatures? Would you like me to hand them to CEO? He’s back to work today, right?” Yerin took the chance to get a glimpse of Kyungsoo.

She’s very worried.

“Ugh, you’re an angel. Okay, do that for me too, please. I’m going for lunch; I should be back in like thirty minutes. Bye.” Junsoo smirked at her one last time before finally disappearing. “Why do you need to come with him? That’s not your job. The shipping and handling guys check that with him, they know about the stuff better. That’s weird, don’t go.” Sohee immediately warned her which she only laughed about. “Hey, I know he can be weird but I don’t think he’s gunna act on it, I tell you all the time. He’s been pretty nice to me lately. Don’t worry, I can take him down if he does something.” Yerin assured her as she closes her lunchbox lid. “You’re done? You had like two pieces of cherry tomatoes.” Sohee watched as she stands up while putting the box back into the lunch bag.

“I brought snackable food today, I usually can take small bites every now and then while working so I’m going to bring these in the office. Mr. Kim is pretty nice about it.” Yerin grinned before taking a sip on her water tumbler. “Jesus Christ, you’re a favorite. Be careful, hun. I beg you. He’s not that nice to everyone.” Sohee, being the older sister in their team, warned yet again. “Anyway, I’m gunna go back to the office and continue with my task, maybe hand in the files to the CEO’s office. We’ve been waiting for his signatures since Friday.” Yerin eventually bids goodbye to her work friend and walks away.

It has been unbearable; she needs to hear from him. He needs to say something, eventually. It’s like he has completely shut down and shut off people after the announcement of his supposed engagement. No one has talked to him ever since, not even the executives. They were talking about that earlier in the conference meeting. Yerin knew she had to do something to knock some sense back into his head or else he’s going to end up abandoning a lot of important work.

Knocking on his door was easy but as soon as she heard his footsteps, her chest started pounding. She always had the feelings but she only acknowledged them back into her system yesterday, it’s still very fresh. It feels like crushing on a whole new guy. When the door swung open, their eyes met immediately. “Hey, uh—we need your sign for some documents. These are a lot cause, you know, you were away.” Yerin awkwardly started the conversation. “Come in.” The man sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter