The Guilt Trip

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh, I’m so sorry. Let me—”

Yerin suppressed the giggle from coming out of her while watching Baekhyun fix the front seat of his car. There was a Nintendo Switch lying there and a makeup pouch that was fully opened, letting a compact powder and lipstick stick out. “Sorry, Juhyun used this last night and I think—this—hm—I’m hoping this is my sister’s.” Baekhyun chuckled while closing the makeup bag. He threw all of the mess on the backseat before signaling Yerin to get in like a gentleman. “No worries, I understand. Don’t be embarrassed.” The giggle that finally sang out of made Baekhyun smile.

The car ride was pretty quiet at first, both were trying to figure out how to open up the conversation. Thankfully, Baekhyun thought of the perfect topic to discuss. “Family day in school is in two weeks, uh, you come right? Or Kyungsoo does?” Baekhyun asked despite that he strongly doubted that the man ever went to such thing, knowing their situation. “Oh, no no. I can never let Kyungsoo come to such event. First, that’s not safe for our situation and second, I doubt he has time.” Yerin explained before looking away, still feeling very upset about getting abandoned—yet again—this morning. Baekhyun nodded slowly while sighing. “Well, I’ll be there, obviously. So—you know—like—homeroom teachers usually replace parents that are not presence in those days so that the children wouldn’t feel left out. I mean not that. . . I want to replace Kyungsoo. Just---you know—my job.” Baekhyun did not plan to stutter as he explained the mechanics of his job for that day.

Yerin simply laughed while listening. Despite the embarrassment that was prepared to wave through his system, Baekhyun felt the overwhelming relief and satisfaction upon hearing her laughter. “Relax, Baekhyun. It’s just me. This isn’t a parent-teacher conference, this isn’t a parent having complaints about the school cafeteria. It’s just. . . Kwon Yerin right now.” She reassures with a sweet smile. Baekhyun felt the urge to grab her hand that was rested on her lap. But no, of course, he won’t do that. He can’t do that. Not any of this. Why can’t he just have a good self-control? He couldn’t understand what’s been going on lately but it’s already startling him in a massive level.

He gulped once. Gulped twice. By the time the third one came, he smiled again. “I know it’s just. . . you kind of make me panic. Not that I’m afraid of you. It’s just tha—”

“You wanna grab coffee? You start at ten, right? We should have enough time.” Her invitation made Baekhyun’s eyes grow larger but he tried to squint it back down to hide his surprise. He briefly turned to her since he was driving. “But—you know—I’m not forcing at all, I know this is still your working hours. Ugh, I shouldn’t have asked, I’m sorry.” Yerin realized what she just did and facepalmed herself. Baekhyun glanced at the time. As much as he didn’t want to suggest, he went for it. “How about a drive-thru coffee? I-it’s faster that way. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not being cheap. I’d love to. . . take you somewhere nice but maybe some other time. I do need coffee today anyway.” He started turning to a different way to go to the nearest drive-thru breakfast place.

Somehow, that suggestion only made Yerin even more giggly. He’s so cute. She was in heaven once again. It didn’t bother her at all, she actually does drive-thru coffee more often than going to an actual fancy coffee house. She knows how to make her own fancy hot drink so she never had the need to buy one. “Sure! That’s not a problem at all. Why do you look so embarrassed?” She laughed while patting Baekhyun’s shoulder. That simple touch made her fingers curl back into a ball while retrieving her hand back to her lap. His shoulder felt really strong and firm. Hormones talking like a small-sized devil standing on her left shoulder while a small-sized angel stood on her right, the two of them fighting for who’s right and who’s wrong.

He’s very handsome, very handsome. His face presented an innocent demeanor but it could change in an instant depending on the expression that he gives, he could be anything but innocent if he wanted to. That’s what she thinks. What’s what she sees. This crush is giving her dangerous thoughts. She hasn’t had a crush in years – eight years to be exact. She doesn’t even know if crush is the right term anymore since she’s so much older than the last time she had felt it.

She’s having the time of her life enjoying the crush feeling.

He makes her feel the prime youth that she had to skip.

 

 

“Thank you for driving me home and also for the coffee.” Yerin lifted her large-sized paper-cup that has a black dome lid. It’s only nine in the morning and Baekhyun had one more hour to go, he had a lot of time. “No problem at all, I’d stay longer if I could but I should probably get back soon. I need to print some test papers.” Baekhyun fought through it, forcing the self-control back into his system. He could be spending another hour with her and chat and just. . . be around her but that wouldn’t be a good idea. Priorities first and unfortunately, his feelings were never his priorities.

“Okay, well. . . bye Baekhyun. See you when I pick Inyoung up later, I guess.” Yerin opened the car door while chuckling. As she hopped out of the SUV, her eyes landed on the almost empty parking lot. There was one car that really stood out, she knew that car. That’s Do Kyungsoo’s. What is happening? “Alright, I hope you spend your day-off well, Yerin.” Baekhyun responded making her briefly turn. “I will, thank you, Baekhyun!” Yerin closed the door and waved her hands frantically while giggling. She’s too cute. Baekhyun had to bite on his bottom lip to suppress the urge to smile too widely that it’s creepy. “Bye.” He coolly chuckled while hesitantly waving his hand as well to reciprocate her adorableness.

Yerin was about to turn around and walk away when Baekhyun opened his window on the passenger’s seat again. “Yerin.” He called making her turn. There was a brief pause before Baekhyun smiled. “How about a real fancy coffee later after school? And I guess. . . a cake for Inyoung?” He didn’t forget to include the kid knowing she’s going to be there with them. Yerin laughed happily while nodding, seemingly excited about the idea. He smiled in satisfaction before waving a hand again for a real goodbye this time. Yerin started walking into the building while occasionally glancing at Baekhyun’s car. He didn’t leave until she got into the elevator which made her feel very safe.

Once she was all alone, she lost her smile. She was very confused of seeing Kyungsoo’s car in that spot again. Her parents already left earlier this morning and so she was more relieved if Kyungsoo was here again, maybe he forgot something at the house. Once she reached her floor, she automatically saw Kyungsoo’s figure in front of her door. He simply stood there frozen, his expression worried her in a great level. “Kyungsoo?” She called out making the man automatically turn. But his face was the same, his body remained stiff on the spot. “What brings you back here? You left us there earlier, you should have at least told the kid the reason. She was upset. And. . . what’s wrong?” She asked as soon as she was standing front of her. Finally, his noticed the tears threatening to fall from his eyes. There seem very heavy. His body was almost shaking that she was afraid to check and touch him, as if he was going to break.

His lips quivered anxiously as he tried to come up with the answer. “My mother is in the hospital. Sorry for coming back, I just had to leave the hospital for a while to calm down.” Shock forming on her expression, Yerin quickly pressed her hands softly on the man’s arms. “What happened? Is she alright?” Of course, she wasn’t, she figured that, but she just had to ask out of concern. “She had a heart attack early this morning but luckily, she wasn’t alone when it happened. Her assistant knew how to do the first aid and they were able to call for emergency right away. They’re still monitoring her so I can’t t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter