The Birthday Pain

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Are you out of your goddamn mind?!”

One of Baekhyun’s biggest fear just happened tonight. Juhyun hugged Baekhyun’s arms together down his lower back to keep him from doing something reckless—and something he would probably regret later—to Sohyun who sat there on the couch, her whole-body trembling in terror and humiliation. Sohyun had made her oldest brother very mad, many times, in the past, but this has got to be the maddest he’s ever been that it actually scared her. Some hours ago, while still at work, Baekhyun got a call from her school. She had been reported for not attending almost half of her class today and a classmate who knew her whereabouts confessed that she left the school with another male student from a different class. And added the student, Sohyun apparently told her that they were going to have some fun in a motel for their first month as a couple.

At that moment, Baekhyun lost it. He sent an emergency letter to his school’s office and left work. Unfortunately, he had to call Sohyun at least twenty times before he could actually see her face-to-face, there was no other way to locate her but to wait for her to get home.

“W-we didn’t do anything, we just kissed.” Sohyun cried out, her body curled up in a half-ball as if trying to protect herself from any hits. “Kiss? You had to go to a motel to kiss? Do I look that dumb to you, Byun Sohyun? How far did you two go, answer me!” Baekhyun screamed, he had never screamed this much. He was red, veins on his neck seemed like they were about to pop out of his anger. He was close to actually crying because of extreme anxiety, overflowing concern for his sister’s future. Everything. “Hyung, just—just calm down first. I’ll talk to her. She won’t answer properly if she’s that scared.” Juhyun pulled him back again and started pushing him away from the living room.

As much as he didn’t want to, Baekhyun passed it on to the younger brother. Juhyun was, after all, right. Screaming at her won’t help at all but he couldn’t help it, he was losing it. She was only fifteen, their mother also got pregnant at a very young age, at sixteen. If something bad happens to Byun Sohyun, there’s only one person Baekhyun could blame – himself.

He couldn’t stand the thought of them growing old with messed up lives because of his lacking.

Surprisingly, it took Juhyun only a couple of minutes before he got into Baekhyun’s room. “Hyung, okay here’s the thing. Promise me you will stay calm.” The younger man walked over to his bed while lifting his hands up in advance guard for any possible aggression. “They technically had . Okay? , actual . There was an actual involved.” Juhyun didn’t even stammer into the sentence and just broke the bad news to him effortlessly. Baekhyun’s eyes close shut, tightly, and his body curled down in weakness. His elbows pressing on either side of his thighs. “But, they used protection. She swore to me she wasn’t lying.” Juhyun then added calmly as he approached the bed.

“Hyung, I know she’s young. I’m shocked too but. . . welcome to our generation, I guess. At least they used protection. I don’t know how they got it—I swear I did not give her that.” Juhyun attempted to keep his brother calm. A big lump was stuck on Baekhyun’s throat, his eyes darting down blankly on the floor. “How is she? Is she in pain right now? Is she still crying?” He asked, his voice finally sounding calmer yet more worried than earlier. This time, his anger is diverting to whoever that motherer was who got his sister into this mess. “I don’t know but she didn’t really look like she was happy about it either. I mean, it’s her first time. I doubt it even felt good for her.” Juhyun replied, only make Baekhyun feel worse. Realizing what he just did, the younger brother rubbed Baekhyun’s back a couple times before walking to the door. “If I were you, I’ll just act normal and not embarrass her further. She may be rebellious but she’s smart for knowing how to be safe. I mean ninety-nine-point-ninety-nine percent safe, at least. There’s only a point-zero-one percent that she gets pregnant, no worries!” His last comment made Baekhyun look up, his eyes glaring madly at the door as it shuts closed.

One rebellious sister and one of a brother. Welcome to his life.

Now he doesn’t even know how to approach Sohyun. That sort of topic just never crossed his mind at all, let alone give them a talk about it aka -ed.

But she’s only turning sixteen, it’s just way too young for him. She’s still a baby in his eyes. He doesn’t know if it’s really normal nowadays but, in his days, it was definitely different. He sat up straight and did a little breathing exercise, something he’d been doing whenever he would be too overwhelmed by problems – which is on a daily basis – to help him handle it in a more open-minded way. He thought, if he just uses aggression like earlier, Sohyun would just keep more secret to him and he doesn’t want that. He needs to calm down and give her the talk.

He doesn’t want to do it; it was the last thing he would want to do.

He was almost done with his breathing exercise when his door cracked open again. He looked up and met eyes with his sister who was peering in, she looked very scared yet guilty. Baekhyun gulped hard, once, twice until he finally managed to speak up. “Sohyun, come on. Let’s talk. Here.” He patted the space beside him on the bed. “No hitting?” She asked causing the latter one to roll his eyes.

“Seriously? When did I ever hit you or your brother? Do I look like I have it in me?” Baekhyun argued in confidence. The half-hearted rebuttal he gave assured the young lady that he wasn’t that mad anymore. She hesitantly got in and closed the door behind her, leaning her back on it. “I’m sorry, okay? I. . . I thought he was a really good guy, different from my ex-boyfriend and so I trusted him with that. Too easily, I have to admit. I don’t know what came to me.” Sohyun cleared , keeping her head down to avoid her brother’s gaze,

Baekhyun was silent for a short while, trying to figure out how to start this conversation. After all, he has technically never been a parent before.

“But oppa.” Sohyun then walked over to the bed. “It didn’t even last long, I couldn’t take it. It was too painful so. . . s-so we stopped right away. It didn’t even go in fully, I think.” She broke in awkward silence after finishing the sentence. Baekhyun made a this-is-hella-awkward face while scratching the back of his neck. “Oppa, say something at least. I’m very sorry here.” The young lady then attempted to proceed into the conversation again after not getting anything else but that uncooperative face from her brother.

Baekhyun sat up straight and patted his hands down his thighs. “Okay, look.” He turned to Sohyun beside him. “. I know it’s. . . it’s human nature. Eventually, I can’t really control you on those kinds of things, same goes to your Juhyun Oppa. But you know why I was very upset, right? You’re very young.” He asked, the calmness in his voice created a twinge on Sohyun’s chest, making her even more guilty. “I promised our mother that I would be responsible for you and Juhyun, I. . . I promised your father too, especially you. And I’d. . . feel like I failed both of them if something bad happens to you guys. Both of them would only want the best for you.” He reached for Sohyun’s head for a . “I understand, oppa. But we were careful, I swear. He got protection from his older brother and we used it. I know what I was getting myself into, I was ready. I’m not going to be like our mother who made a huge mistake at the age of sixteen.” Sohyun grunted while glaring in space. Anger building up in her from the slightest mention of her parents.

Mistake also known as Byun Baekhyun.

Baekhyun looked away taking in the wounding words the clueless girl said. “Like I know I’m not ready for those things. I don’t want to go through what our mom went through at this age; I don’t want to go through hell like she did and she didn’t have any choice but to face it. I mean, look at her now. She’s crazy.” Sohyun continued and even looked at the already pale-looking Baekhyun. “Like, fine. I thought of doing it because I know it’ll feel good, that’s one big reason why young people do it, right? Not because they want to make babies, we do it because it is human nature and it feels good. That’s why our mom probably did it cause she wanted to feel good, not because she wanted to make you. Fortunately, I’m not that stupid.”  Her last sentence finally made Baekhyun break.

“You don’t talk about her like that, Byun Sohyun. Take it back.” His voice went low and deep, his grip on his thighs tightened. That’s when Sohyun stood up. “What? That she’s crazy? She went insane for a man and left all three of her children to be crazy. She didn’t think about our situation after Appa left. It was still all about her in the end. It’s never about us, her kids. All that mattered to her since the beginning was her romantic relationships, she was obsessed. You know it’s true.” She walked over to the door to leave. “Are you ing serious right now, Byun Sohyun?!” Baekhyun stood up and screamed, literally. He never curses at them but Sohyun really pushed him to his limits with those statements.

Juhyun then stepped in. “Woah, Hyung. I told you to calm down right? They used prot—”

“Move aside, ugh.” Sohyun pushed her older brother aside so that she could leave. She banged the door closed making Baekhyun close his eyes as she collapsed back on the bed. “What the hell was that?” Juhyun asked, fury also building up in him. He’s quite a punk too but Baekhyun must admit that he’s still more mature and understanding than Sohyun. “She talked about Eomma again.” Baekhyun groaned before standing up to go to his closet.

As much as he didn’t want to leave right now, he had promised Inyoung and Yerin that he was coming for the birthday dinner tonight.

“Hyung, you know she w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter