The Child's Wish

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Okay, take care Eomma. I need to go now.” With a simple kiss on the forehead, Kyungsoo starts walking away from the bed. “So, son.” His mother calls again making him stop, hesitantly turning around. He put on a straight face while fiddling with the car keys on his hands. “You avoided the topic the whole time you were here. You can’t just leave me like this, tell me that you’ve started with our plan.” She pleaded with hopeful eyes. It was petrifying to even hear about it, let alone mention it himself. “It’s your plan, not mine.” He shook his head and tried to escape again.

His mother sighed. “Fine, then marry Soyoung. Give me grandchildren. I’m not getting any younger, Kyungsoo. I understand if you don’t want to take custody of your daughter. That’s why I’m giving you an even better option of marrying into the Gong family.” She claimed, her manipulative tone giving Kyungsoo’s enough goosebumps to make him shiver. He was done with all this bull, it was tiring. He turned around to, once again, attempt to escape but as he have already expected, his mother won’t stop until she gets something out of him.

“I heard from your assistant that he just booked a flight to Japan for you on Monday. Why? Are you going to your brother? Want to run away from the family too?”

He sighed hard and loud; he can never get an assistant who’s not going to be too scared of his parents to keep his privacy for him. They always tend to give in when his parents try to ask about his personal life. She was right. He booked a flight to Japan. He wanted to see his brother. They almost just lost their mother and now they’re pressuring him into things that they once did to Seungsoo, of course he would want to come see him personally. “Don’t even think about following your brother’s footsteps, that’s going to ruin our whole family. Everything we have worked hard for, everything your great-grandparents worked hard for will be gone.” Her mother’s breathing sounded heavy that forced him to not burst, as much as he wanted to.

No matter what she’s saying, she’s still physically fragile.

“I haven’t seen my brother in, like, five years. I just want to see how he is and I never had the time but now I have it, remember? Appa suggested to me to loosen up a bit at work after your heart attack. So, I might as well take the chance. I’m just going to be there overnight. That’s it. Also, I think he deserves to know your situation.” He explained in detail hoping to make her shut up once and for all. “We allowed you to relax from work a little because we know you’ll be busy with the custody thing. It’ll be a lot of work and you’ll need to work hard for it together with our lawyer.” Unfortunately, she did not stop there.

Kyungsoo breathed in, holding it for a while as he rubbed his face in frustrated. He exhaled hard enough to earn a glare from his mother. “Let’s put it this way, that woman will eventually marry someone sooner or later. Do you really want another man to replace you as Inyoung’s father? You need to get your rights before she completely takes it away from you. Don’t wait for whoever that guy will be adopt your own kid and put his name on her.” For the first time, he got silent from her point of view. It reminded him of the ever-growing spark he’s been seeing between Baekhyun and Yerin that causes him so much fear and anxiety. “Let’s be honest here, dear. That woman. . . can never fit in with us and you know that. I don’t think she would want it either, didn’t she not go to university simply because she doesn’t feel like it’s for her? I mean, how messed up is that?” He looked away trying to avoid his mother’s manipulative eyes. “This doesn’t have to do anything with the problem. Don’t bring it up.” He asked, almost begging. “Don’t play dumb, my son. I can see, you’re still crazy for this woman. You’re wasting your time. She wants to have a carefree and simple life, right? She told me that herself when we met for the first and last time. She’s not a bad person, she’s just different. And for her, you’re different too. It’s never going to work out.”

It was painful to hear, it was terrifying. Terrifyingly true. She’d always told him the same things before.

And now she seems to have found that potential carefree and simple life with another man and his daughter adores him. A threat.

“Instead of being stuck in the past and being regretful at the present. . . Kyungsoo, think about your future. Future you could have with your daughter and your future wife. Inyoung would have a much better life with you than just. . . a carefree and simple one that she could offer.” It was like Stockholm Syndrome; he couldn’t budge despite the desire to. She didn’t make sense but he felt like she should make sense and it aches to have this argument in his own head. “Fine, son. Since it’s getting hard to make you see the sense of this. I will give you this one opportunity to do what you want. Listen.” She then proposed another conversation. He tilted his head in nervousness. “W-what do you mean?” He asked, fear and confusion coiling into his body.

“Go to her, tell her you still love her, you want to have a life with her and your daughter, you want to start over. You want to marry her. Do it.” She suggested, almost threatening. Somehow, those words didn’t fit into his chest quite well, it almost hurt. “W-why are you telling me this? What’s the catch?” he asked, not convinced that it’s his mother’s real intention to let him do that for real. “No, nothing. No catch, I just want you to see it for yourself. You’re my son, I know you more than anyone else. And I know who really cares for you and who doesn’t. So, see it for yourself.”

He gulped, really hard that it gave him a hard time to say his next argument. “What—what if. . . what if she says yes? What if she feels the same?” he asked, already feeling the tears forming in his eyes. He has never felt this excited yet terrified. “You can do whatever you want without fearing that we’ll do something to sabotage you. But this is just one chance, Kyungsoo. If she turns you down and shows you the reality of it, please help yourself. Fight for your daughter. It’s for your own good too.” She pleaded while placing her palm across her chest.

“I—I don’t know, I don’t know what’s going on. But I n-need to go, I need to get Inyoung. I’ll talk to you later.” Kyungsoo stuttered out of the bedroom. He breathed heavily while holding on the doorknob behind him. He couldn’t move more after he stepped out, he needed time to process everything. He couldn’t believe his mother would actually to go this extent of really risking it, as if she’s so confident that Yerin would turn him down. It was on a different level of manipulation, he felt sick. Disgusted.

Most of all, he felt foolish for wanting to take that chance.

 

 

After picking Inyoung up at school, the kid had asked him to go eat out for an early dinner. Inyoung had asked him to go to the same playground café she went to last Wednesday. “Who did you go with?” Kyungsoo asked in curiosity as they got into the café. “Mr. Byun and Eomma, we went all together after school. Isn’t it so cool, Appa?” Inyoung mumbled gently before giggling like a fan girl. Kyungsoo’s grip on the kid’s backpack tightened as he heard the names together, like a perfect pair. She could almost say Appa and Eomma instead and it would still make sense to see them picture-perfect. Not in Kyungsoo’s eyes though. Never.

“Oh, you went out.” He forced himself to say something. His Jealousy Meter is elevating higher and higher each time Inyoung mentions Baekhyun and Yerin in one scenario. It’s dangerous to reach the peak of that meter, he might just burst and do something he would regret. Things would go very bad.

When the kid finally got tired of playing, it was past six o’clock. Kyungsoo was bored out of his life, he just sat there while trying to make sense of the cake Inyoung had ordered. He didn’t see the sense of decorating it himself, he just ate his slice of cake plain while helping the kid decorate hers. “Did you have fun?” He asked while driving, briefly gazing at Inyoung who was busy with his iPad. “Yes, Appa. But I wish you decorated your cake too; it would be fun. We can, like, compete. But it’s okay, Appa is tired.” She was always understanding, it always made him feel awful. But every single time, it’s too late when he realizes the things he does. He’s extremely naïve as much as he hated to admit it.

For normal people, it’s being careless and boring.

This should stop. He slowed down and glanced at Inyoung quickly before turning a different direction. “Can we stop by at your mom’s first? I just need to talk to her. Is that okay, sweetie?” He asked. “Okay, Appa! No problem.” She grinned before looking down at the iPad again. Kyungsoo nodded before doing some breathing exercise which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter