Introduction

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Gently pouring the cream on the coffee, she forms a beautiful heart that made her cheeks lift for a satisfied grin. Those days she worked in a university café years ago will always be her favorite. She now works a nine-to-five job at an advertising company but once in a while, she loves to pretend that she was still a barista who does latte art during her days off. “Pretty.” She giggles before taking a sip on her coffee.

“Eomma, can I have one too?”

Turning her head towards the living room, she grins at her daughter who was looking over to her while flipping through channels on the television. “Alright, I’ll make hot chocolate for you. What design would Miss Inyoung love to have tonight?” She asked as if she was a real barista serving a regular costumer. “Hmm. . . Oh, maybe three hearts? Because I love you!” The seven-year-old lady beamed. The mother’s already big smile even got bigger because of that sweet response from her child. “Okay okay, hot chocolate with three hearts coming right up for Miss Inyoung!” She replies positively making the kid giggle excitedly.  

Once she was done with the kid’s drink, she finally left her kitchen to serve the hot chocolate and to watch the show as well.

“Hm, yummy!” Inyoung reacts delightedly after taking her first sip of the hot chocolate. Satisfied with her daughter’s judgment, she patted the kid’s head before facing the television again. “Eomma, Appa texted me just now, he asked me if you were home already. He’s on his way here. Are you two fighting?” The kid suddenly asked catching the mother off-guard. She cleared before placing her coffee gently down the center table across the couch. “No, we’re not. We just have something to discuss, maybe he wants to talk about it tonight. It’s okay, honey don’t worry.” She makes up a lie to reassure her daughter that it was fine between them.

They are not married, they never were. They were never a couple either, they didn’t have the chance to be when Inyoung came unexpectedly. It’s ironic, they always say. But despite the situation, they’ve always done their best to both be present, separately, in the kid’s life.

A knock on the door made the mother and daughter look over. “Inyoung, get the door. Maybe it’s your dad.” She kindly asked the kid to do it for her. She was upset, still upset from last night’s incident – the thing she didn’t want to tell her daughter. As soon as the man got in, he gave Inyoung a big hug before lifting her in his arms. “How’s school?” He asked with his deep yet gentle voice. Only the daughter can receive such kind tone from her father who’s typically serious and aloof.

“It was fun, Appa. We have a new teacher, he’s nice but I already miss Mrs. Jung, she’s going to have a baby and moving to a new country, so cool!” Inyoung beamed before hugging her father’s neck. Once they got to the living room, he looked down to her. “Yerin, can we talk?” He asked. Sighing defeatedly, she stood up and signaled him to put the kid down. “Inyoung, go to your room for now. Eomma and Appa need to have a grown-up talk, c’mon.” She tapped the kid’s back who politely nodded to the both of them before skipping to her room. As soon as they were alone, Yerin sat back down the couch while he remained standing. “I know I came here very intoxicated late last night and I’d like to apologize about that. I don’t completely remember everything that happened but I hope Inyoung didn’t see me and I didn’t say anything bad to you. Did I?” He asked, his tone always sounding distant, almost sounding like he wasn’t really apologetic even though he was.

“I-it’s okay. . . you just kissed me on the lips but that’s not a big deal and Inyoung was fast asleep, it was three in the morning.” She muttered keeping her sight down her lap to avoid his eyes. “Okay, sorry about that. I was dragged by a business partner out to drink and I just couldn’t say no. I didn’t realize I asked my driver to come here instead of my own home.” He continued explaining. “Kyungsoo, you don’t have any obligation to explain to me, we’re not married. I understand.” Yerin attempted to end the conversation because she dislikes arguments.

“Fine, whatever, I was just apologizing, that’s it. You don’t have to rub it in.” Kyungsoo coldly responds, almost sounding pissed before turning around

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter