The Darn Romantic

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The flight back home went okay, they didn’t really have any other time to be alone together for the rest of the day until they arrived back in Seoul. All they were able to do was give each other the meaningful looks every time their eyes would meet.

But finally, they could be alone once they reached the parking lot. It was pretty awkward the first few seconds that they went out of their cars. Kyungsoo walked over to her as she takes her house keys out of her purse. “Uh—do you want to maybe. . . stop by at the grocery store so we could get some cooked meal?” She looked up with a shy lovesick smile as their bodies meet inches away. Kyungsoo kept his hands in his pockets as he glanced down their feet, just so he could avoid her eyes. Simply looking at her right now is making him blush and basically not operate like a proper human being. “Well. . . I don’t know, I’m not—I don’t think I’m hungry at all.” He hesitantly answered and finally failed to hold the smile that had escaped his lips.

Yerin looked away chuckling, knowing very well now that she had hit the right spot with that kiss. “Okay, well then. . . we should go upstairs now. Inyoung’s probably been waiting.” She shrugged her shoulders and gestured him to follow before turning around to walk first. Just as she was about to grab the door handle of the underground entrance, she was twirled around by him. She yelped in shock but was able to close in a tight line as soon as her eyes met his. “I just. . .” Kyungsoo stuttered but his hands started moving around her waist for a gentle support. The way his hands held her on the waist gave a different kind of sensation on Yerin’s stomach. Angry brawling butterflies would be the best term of what she’s feeling right now. “What?” She asked, a sweet smile forming on her lips as she stared back at him.

“I just want to say that—”

Yerin tiptoed and shut him up with another kiss. Kyungsoo kissed back for the first few seconds but he remained conscious enough to pull away again. “You keep on—ugh.” He groaned as he let her body go and moved to get into the building first but made sure to grab Yerin’s hand to drag her along earning a squealed laugh from her. “In my defense, you stole a lot of kisses from me whenever you’re drunk.” She defended as they wait for the elevator to open. A defeated grin drew on Kyungsoo’s face as he looked away, remaining as quiet as usual. He feels like a few years ago all over again, except better. “Uh, by the way. You did well back in Jeju. You really have potential.” He tried to continue what he wanted to say earlier.

He turned to look at her as she wrapped her arms around his. He couldn’t keep the eye-contact again, feeling all giddy by the sensation of her touch. She’s very affectionate and it frustrates him that he’s just experiencing that now.

“I’m trying. After all, you’re the one who helped me figure out what I really want in life.” Yerin replied, a genuine smile continued to grow on her face as she stared ahead in space. Finally, the elevator opened and they both got in. “And that is?” Kyungsoo asked back earning a brief silence from her. They shared an eye-contact before Yerin spoke up. “Well, aside from you?” Her question made Kyungsoo look away and put a hand up to cover his eyes, awkwardness filling up his insides. He’s very bad at things like this, mushy fluffy interactions.

However, she’s so good at it that he likes it at the same time.

“You’re so awkward, oh my god. You can’t even—yah!” Yerin laughed and hit him lightly on the arm. She’s trying so hard to say the sweetest cheesiest things while he just stood there smiling and covering his face awkwardly. She actually likes it. Very much so. It makes him ten times more attractive when he acts so shy and quiet. He gives off the vibe of someone who’s very very good in actions when it comes to romance. “W-what do you want me to say—yah, we have a child. Let’s not act like high schoolers. Silly.” Kyungsoo argued but he was already laughing along.

Yerin sighed in relief, loving the sound of his genuine laughter. It’s been a while.

“I guess you’re right. Starting over wouldn’t be as easy as it would usually be since we have Inyoung huh?” She looked straight and sighed again. “Not really.” Kyungsoo looked down and held her hand, intertwining their fingers tightly together making her look down to it as well. “She’s not awake twenty-four-seven.” He suddenly added making Yerin muffle a laughter which she quickly sealed with her free hand. “That’s so—yah, stop.” She squealed the last word in between giggles. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes but smiled in satisfaction, knowing that it made an effect on her. “But honestly, everything’s just ten times better because we do have her. Right?” He then added to soften up the mood again.

She looked up, her smile warming up this time as she gave him a nod. “Fighting.” She muffled earning a light nod and smile from him.

When they arrived in the unit, they were welcomed by Baekhyun and Soyoung sitting right on the carpet floor, both of them leaning in a sitting position against the armchairs – both are dead asleep. Inyoung was sleeping as well, lying completely down the foamed carpet and using Baekhyun’s lap as a pillow. There were toys scattered all around and for some reasons, Soyoung and Inyoung were wearing a similar fairy costume. Yerin covered to refrain herself from laughing at the cute sight. “Can I take a picture? Just for future blackmail.” Yerin mouthed playfully earning a disagreeing pat from the mature one, Kyungsoo. He walked ever so gently towards the living room and lifted the sleeping Inyoung into his arms.

Inyoung whimpered softly as she wrapped her arms around her father’s shoulders. “Ssh. . .” Kyungsoo hushed as he walked towards Inyoung’s room. “Wake them up and send them home.” He whispered to Yerin very quickly before stepping into the room. Yerin on the other hand just stood there looking at the two. “Is it me or do they actually look good together?” She muffled softly while nibbling with her fingertips, in deep thought. She took her phone out to take a quick picture of the two.

“Yah.” Kyungsoo suddenly came back out and stood right behind her. “Okay okay.” She gave in and quietly skipped over to the two sleeping adults. Tapping Baekhyun first, of course. “Baekhyun, we’re home.” She softly giggled as she woke the guy up. Easily, Baekhyun shoots up in a sitting position while looking up to her. “Oh—hey, how was it?” He asked while rubbing his face. “It was great, we had a lot of fun.” Yerin replied as she gestured him to get up before moving over to Soyoung this time. “Miss Gong? Please wake up, Kyungsoo and I are back.” She politely tapped the woman who took a few more seconds before moving. “Hmm. . .” She moaned while lifting both her arms for a good stretch. Yerin chuckled and quickly gazed at Kyungsoo who’s already walking towards the kitchen.

“Oh, Yerin. Hi there, sorry I fell asleep.” Soyoung finally spoke as she quickly got up. “No, it’s fine. All of you were taking a nap when we arrived actually, must have been a day huh? Did Inyoung play a lot?” Yerin asked as she helped her out to stand up. “Yeah, your daughter is so fun and mature at the same time. We played dress up and more.” Soyoung explained before looking over to Baekhyun who’s currently picking up all the toys and putting them all together at one corner just to clear the space up again.

“He’s boring, on the other hand.” Soyoung muffled softly but it was almost loud enough to make Baekhyun turn with a small frown. “Did I hear my name?” He asked in curiosity. “No—what?” Yerin asked, covering it up with a playful smile.

Ignoring the guy’s curiosity, Soyoung walked straight into the kitchen to check on Kyungsoo. “Hey, how’s Jeju?” She beamed making Kyungsoo turn from stirring the instant coffee he’s making. “Good evening, Soyoung. I’d like to thank you for taking care of my daughter with Baekhyun. I actually didn’t think you’d stay. I really appreciate it.” He completely turned to face her to talk properly. “That’s not a problem, I really like your daughter. She’s nice.” Soyoung shyly replied while looking back, noticing the sudden glow on Kyungsoo’s face. “Did something happen back in Jeju? Your face. . . just looks—I don’t know, you look so calm and stress-free like I’ve never seen before.” She laughed at her own explanation.

Kyungsoo gently shook his head but gave her a small smile. “Have a good night, Soyoung. If you need a favor in the future, you could always come to me for help.” He assured her, the closest to a babysitting salary he could ever give to her since she wouldn’t take money for sure. “Uhm, just. . . thank you for taking my side earlier. About you know, my mistake and accidentally getting Mr. Byun involved in my problem. He actually agreed to go have a meal with my parents. I was ready to give up on it actually but—I just. . . I’m too prideful to make a fool out of myself at this point. I mean, I just don’t want my parents to see that I’m actually the one who’s unwanted and—I don’t know, sorry. I’m being silly right now.” She looked down, sadness was evident in her voice.

Kyungsoo looked away. “I’m sorry that I was never able to give the feelings back, I can’t imagine what you’ve been feeling all this time. I really don’t know what else to say, Soyoung.” He admitted, feeling that she was still very much heartbroken about it although she tries to hide it. “N-no, it’s okay. Thank you.” She looked up to him with a bright smile but tears were already forming in her eyes. “I actually need to go home, I’m not good with driving at night. Bye! Thank you again for letting me take care of Inyoung. I loved every second.” She laughed before quickly turning away and leaving the kitchen. Kyungsoo sighed and looked down to his coffee. He really feels bad but he doesn’t really know what else to do with her.

“Hey, I better get going. Miss Soyoung already left.” He turned again to see Baekhyun this time. “Thank you. Let me write a cheque for you.” Kyungsoo turned around to leave the kitchen, ready to get his cheques from the room. “Oh—no no no, it’s fine. This is a favor from Yerin, I don’t need that.” Baekhyun declined it immediately making Kyungsoo stop. The two guys then went back to silence as Kyungsoo walked back to the kitchen counter to grab his cup of coffee. “I heard you two kissed today?” Suddenly, Baekhyun strikes up a conversation making Kyungsoo look up, blankly against the kitchen’s tiled wall. He cannot believe Yerin easily broadcasted that out. He’s not very good with dealing with his emotions and he could already feel the heat climbing back up into his body.

He was planning to keep it to themselves first in the beginning just to not jinx it.

He believes in jinx for some reason.

 “Ugh, she told you.” He mumbled and sighed. “Don’t worry, she’s very happy that’s why she told me. Don’t whine like a baby, Mr. Do. We two are not friends but I feel quite proud of you, knowing how difficult you are.” Baekhyun playfully assures earning a glare from the man. “Just saying. . . I’m happy for you two. Just take it slow and everything’s going to fall into its right places. Have a good night.” He added before bowing and walking out. Kyungsoo remained in the kitchen until he heard the front door completely close and there was pure silence.

Eventually, Yerin made her way into the kitchen. “They’re gone. I’m very tired I might go straight to sleep after taking a shower. You’re having coffee?” She asked while leaning on the frame of the kitchen entry way. Kyungsoo took another sip of his coffee before turning around and leaning his back on the counter. “Yeah, I should probably check on some emails before I sleep.” He replied, his voice was calm and sweet.

Silence.

Sudden awkwardness filled the gap between them. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter