The Growing Anxiety

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Within the first five minutes of being imprisoned into a dinner date with the Cho family, Kyungsoo already started thinking of ways to leave. Yerin simply replied a sad face on his text and he definitely did not like how it could go if he doesn’t see her parents tonight. He’s can’t let them down again; he’s been doing that for the past eight years.  “So how long has it been since you took over Avantgarde?” Mr. Cho opened up a new conversation as they begin with their main course. Kyungsoo cleared his throat, wiped his mouth before looking up. “Around five or six years now, I believe.” He answered while mentally counting along Inyoung’s age just to make sure he’s saying the right thing.

His eyes then briefly moved towards Sunhwa as she’s been giving him the looks that makes him uncomfortable. He could already tell that she’s quite interested but unfortunately, he does not feel anything for her. “That’s about right, he actually served the military right after university. You know, he prioritized it before taking over.” Mr. Do proudly added and patted him on the back.

Huh, if they only know what’s the actual story of why he did the service much earlier than he originally planned.

He blankly nodded before turning to his mother beside him. She looked back and patted him on the lap for support. “That’s great, nothing’s getting in the way of anything in your life now. A young man who knows his priorities.” Mrs. Cho approved while glancing at her daughter, Sunhwa, who nodded while smiling at Kyungsoo. He ignored it and just looked away again. “Well anyway, if you don’t know yet, Sunhwa here is passionate about art and photography, she has launched a few exhibits in New York in the past and she’s planning to have one here for the first time soon. I hope you’d be able to check that out, Kyungsoo.” The Cho mother then invited.

Kyungsoo turned to them and lowered his head but didn’t say anything. “Yeah, I think it would be nice if you could come.” Sunhwa finally engaged in an actual conversation, still locking her eyes to his direction only.

It’s starting to infuriation him in another level. He’s never been as uncomfortable as right now.

“Uh, may I excuse myself to go to the restroom?” he stood up and put his napkin down the chair before bowing to them. He eyed his mom lastly before turning around to leave the room. Once he was out of sight and safe enough in the restroom, he took his phone out to call Yerin.

“Hello?” He spoke as soon as the call was answered.

He only got a meek mhmm from her which he definitely didn’t like. It terrified him. “Yerin, I’m stuck here and I want to leave. So badly.” He whispered while leaning on the wall of the cubicle. “What do you want me to do?” She eventually spoke although still sounding quite upset. Kyungsoo sighed as he lowered his head, shifting his body to lean his back completely against the cubicle wall this time. Making her upset for being not present is the last thing he ever wants to do again. He’s long retired from being absent in her life. “I don’t know, pick me up here? I’d rather be with your parents.” He admitted, tapping the tip of his shoe on the floor.

A soft yet skeptical chuckle was heard from the other end. “And how are you planning to escape, may I just know?” She asked, completely doubting the request. He didn’t like how she’s way smarter than him when it comes to this. He didn’t think that through at all. All he has been thinking was straight up hiding in the washroom until she’s there to pick him up and he just leaves without saying anything.

But now that she brought that up, it’s not realistic at all.

Unless he wants more beating from his father.

“I don’t want to see you with a black eye in a day or two if we do that without being careful.” Yerin added, as if reading his mind. “Wait, let me see. Just don’t speak for a second.” He whispered before moving the phone away from his ear to look down to it. He decided to text his mother.

Eomma, I need your help. I really need to leave. I had a dinner date with Yerin and her parents for the first time and I can’t mess this up. PLEASE. S-O-S.

He sent the message and put his phone back against his ear. “Hey, I texted my mom. Let’s see what she can do—” He accidentally revealed exactly what he did and he immediately paused as soon as he had finished the sentence, obviously being way too late. Yerin remained silent on the other end which scared him even more than being yelled at by her at this point. “That, uh—you—well, that came out wrong.” He forced a chuckle to hide the tremble on his voice. “Do Kyungsoo. Are you not telling me something that I should know about here?” She finally asked.

Kyungsoo slapped his own forehead as he realized his mistake. “Okay, I was gunna tell you at the right time but I can assure you, you have nothing to be worried about. I will talk to you about it more later, I promise. Bye-bye, I love you.” He quickly explained before rushing to end the call. One part of him really thought he’s been in the washroom for too long and the other part of him just wanted to escape Yerin before she goes bananas about his accidental revelation.

He rushed back into their private room and as he stepped in, he was welcomed by a commotion. Well, not a huge commotion but more like all of them surrounding something. “W-what’s happening here?” He rushed to the corner and saw his mother on a chair and his father handing her a glass of water. “Ohh, Kyungsoo. Dear. I’m not feeling so well, my head is hurting so much out of nowhere. I can’t explain it. . .” Mrs. Do started crying while holding on her head. Kyungsoo’s heart shattered into a bowl of fear as he looked down at his mother in terror.

He can’t be having her sick again.

Especially not now that their relationship has never been better.

“W-we need to call emergency; wait I will call some staff too.” He turned around as he took his phone out. “No no, no need for t-that, honey. Your father still has a lot of business agendas to discuss with the Cho’s. D-dear, could you come home with me? I need you by my side, please? Let’s not ruin their evening, I j-just need to really lie down before it gets worse. Please, darling.” Mrs. Do asked and Kyungsoo stood there motionless, letting the words process in his head. He turned around again and saw Mr. Do just looking at his phone endlessly while rubbing her back. “Can you tell her she needs medical attention? She wouldn’t let me call anyone. She’s too scared to go back to the hospital.” The old man hissed in worry and irritation, more so the latter. The Cho family on the other hand just stood there in concern. “I—I’ll just come with her, Abeoji. If that’s what she wants.” Kyungsoo speaks up, walked over to the corner and held his mother to stand.

Mr. Do sighed heavily while shaking his head. “Fine. If that’s for the better.” He gave in, not wanting to be too pushy when there’s other people with them. “Are you sure, Mr. Do? We can just continue our meeting some other time.” Mrs. Cho suggested. Sunhwa suddenly came forward. “Or. . . Kyungsoo and I can finish up here, since that’s why we’re here anyway, right? You guys can go ahead.” She straightforwardly proposed and kid you not, Kyungsoo turned to her with his eyes widening a bit, giving her a -you-didn’t kind of face, completely in a combination of disbelief and repulsion.

“Oh god, no I don’t want to be that much of a bother. I just—” Mrs. Do breathed heavily while still palming her temples. “You guys continue with the meeting, I’m sure my son can take care of me until I feel better.” She continued before looking at her husband. “I’m so sorry, you don’t have to leave. Don’t worry about me.” She assured her before hugging Kyungsoo’s arm tightly, looking very pained and weak. Eventually, Mr. Do nodded and let them bid goodbye to each other before walking them out of the room for a while. “Kyungsoo, make sure you don’t leave her side and call me if she feels any worse. Take her to the hospital right away if that happens but don’t forget to call me. We’re gunna need to schedule another meeting with them and you’re coming whether you like it or not.” He spoke while also holding Mrs. Do’s other free hand.

When they arrived out, they helped Mrs. Do into the van first. Kyungsoo then turned around and bowed to his father. “We’ll be going now, Abeoji. Give my regards to the Cho family and I shall see them some other time for business.” He politely bids goodbye. “Just go now.” Mr. Do faintly nodded before peeking into the van one last time. “Are you sure you don’t need to go to the hospital? We need to be sure this is nothing serious.” He asked his wife one more time. “N-no, I just need a good rest and I want Kyungsoo there with me, I didn’t have him last time I was really sick so just in case, it’s better if he’s by my side. It was very stressful and crowded today at the charity venue, maybe t-that’s why.” Mrs. Do answered from inside. “Okay.” The old man sighed one last time before stepping back. Kyungsoo bowed once more before finally getting into the van.

As soon as the van started moving, the mother and son made an eye contact before sharing a very low-leveled and gentle high five. “Don’t scare me like that though, please.” Kyungsoo leaned in and whispered. “I really wanted to leave too; I have a massage appointment tonight at nine. I was gunna text my masseuse to move it to tomorrow but you texted me and so I grabbed the chance to escape, I’ve cancelled on her three times already and she’s good, I don’t want her to stop business with me. She’s a good one, if you ever need one.” Mrs. Do whispered back earning a doubtful yet amused nod from her son. “I’m fine, Eomma.” He muffled a chuckle while shaking his head.

He then decided to text Yerin to pick him up from his parent’s house, giving out the exact address as well. It should just be enough time for her to drive there since the restaurant was also coming from a decent distance, around the same travel time.

As soon as they arrived in front of the house, the van quickly left to go back to the restaurant. “Okay, I know it was all an act but you’re two-hundred-percent sure that you’re fine and I can leave, right?” Kyungsoo asked as he walked his mother to the gates. She smiled and just looked at him in silence. “What?” he asked. Mrs. Do sighed before reaching her arm up to ruffle his hair. “I was always so afraid to accept that you’re not my little boy anymore. I didn’t know it feels good to see you as a man. Just go for it, son.” She said before clutching on her purse. “I’m doing fine, I promise. I’m just happy that you’re happy.” She added.

Just then a car arrived at the side street.

It was Yerin.

She got out and hesitantly walked ov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter