The Slow Burn

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Just that easy, you got away with it. Are you happy now?”

Kyungsoo sat there impatiently as his parents lecture him like a little kid. They, especially his mother, are upset that the situation ended up like this. “It’s not my fault that Soyoung is with somebody else. I have told you so many times that there’s just not a single spark between us and that’s just something that can never happen. Just so you know, that’s normal.” He explained for probably the fifth time since Soyoung and her parents left after the big talk they just had. “I can’t believe the Gong’s just easily let Soyoung get her way like a spoiled-rotten child, the secret lover’s not even a businessman, how are they going to work out a relationship?” Mrs. Do ranted in frustration. Soyoung had admitted that her secret lover lives a simple life. They couldn’t accept that the Gong’s easily accepted Soyoung’s choices and even told her “Whatever makes you happy, dear” as if that’s some foreign sentence to them.

Kyungsoo glanced at his watch again and rolled his eyes. “Are we done with this because I really have to go. Like seriously. I’m almost an hour late for my next meeting.” He muttered, meeting aka picking Inyoung up. He felt so bad that Inyoung’s been waiting in the school for this long and he can’t even do anything about it. “So, you don’t want to take your child and you don’t want to get married, what the hell is your problem? What do you want to do with your life, tell me, Do Kyungsoo. Are you perhaps gay?” Mr. Do yelled. “Okay—” Kyungsoo stood up with both hands up in surrender. “—I had enough with that rumor and I feel like I need to hold a company conference to officially announce that I have no interest in the same but please, just let me go for now.” He sternly gathers his stuff on the table.

Mrs. Do threw her hands in the air as she watched him in disappointment. “I give up, you’re just like your brother. What did we ever do to deserve this? We’ll never have a proper and peaceful family because of you two being so selfish and stubborn. I give up.” She fake-cried and Kyungsoo tried his best not to smile, probably not the right time to do that. “Oh please, don’t say that. We can’t have another son disown us.” Mr. Do muttered sternly. Kyungsoo stood in front of them for the last time as he slings his bag on his shoulder. “I don’t remember Hyung disowning you. Him choosing the career he chose is not disowning anyone. I think it’s the other way around, just so you know.” He coldly corrected before walking away towards the door to leave. “You must be in touch with him every day, are you in touch with him? What’s he been saying?” Mr. Do frowned hard while glancing at his wife.

Kyungsoo’s grip on the door knob tightened as he listened to his heavily stubborn and close-minded parents. He turned around and was actually quite surprised that they looked seemingly hopeful that he keeps in touch with Seungsoo on a daily basis. “I don’t think I could give you any right to know what he’s been saying or how’s he been doing until you accept his kids as your grandparents, adopted or not. Bye, Please, turn off the lights for me when you leave, thank you.” He responded with much finality before finally closing the door.

As if a big sack of rice was lifted off his chest, he sighed heavily as soon as he left the office room. He glanced at his watch one last time before running, literally. He walked past Junsoo’s office and made eye-contact with Yerin. He immediately regretted that when he got a stern glare from the woman. He just glared back before speed walking again.

 

 

He arrived in front of the school’s building and he immediately spotted Inyoung. Beside her was Baekhyun who always has to wait every time Kyungsoo’s late like today. Kyungsoo walked over to them and rushed to bend down in front of the child. “I’m so sorry, honey. I was so late, wasn’t I?” He caressed the frown off her face before pulling her in for a hug. He glanced at Baekhyun who just stood there silently while folding his arms. He rolled his eyes at the guy before standing up, along with Inyoung in his arms. “Thank you, Mr. Byun.” He briefly said without even looking at the man.

“That’s okay. By the way, congratulations.” Baekhyun greeted but made sure not to say the Marriage word. Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow before patting Inyoung’s back. “You go ahead first in the car, it’s open now. I will just talk to your teacher to thank him.” He calmly ordered the child who politely followed and walked away. “You must have heard from your girlfriend, then. Thank you but no thank you. It’s not going to happen, unfortunately. You think I could do that to Inyoung?” He interrogated back earning a small chuckle from Baekhyun.

“So. . .” Baekhyun slowly processed his answer while rubbing the tip of his chin. “You made this set up between you and Yerin, who’s by the way not my girlfriend, but neither of you should comfortably get married to other people because that would be cruel to Inyoung? I don’t quite understand that, Mr. Do.” He answered back earning a brief silence from Kyungsoo who’s now fuming with irritation. “What’s your point?” He groaned, a big frown building up on his face as if he’s ready to fist fight anytime soon. “My point is. . . Yerin isn’t my girlfriend as much as I want her to be. Just letting you know. Have a good day, Mr. Do.” Baekhyun briefly replied before turning around and walking away, leaving him with such vague answer. “Okay, you need to be more specific than that.” Kyungsoo yelled, keeping his eyes at the guy’s direction who slowly vanished from his sight.

He walked back to his car and Inyoung was already comfortable in the back seat while looking down to her coloring book. Kyungsoo frowned and opened the backseat door. “Hey. . . you don’t want to sit beside Appa? Still mad?” He asked and pulled Inyoung’s tiny body closer to him. “I was so bored and I feel bad, Mr. Byun waited with me again. . . always working, how about me? I want Appa too.” She mumbled while keeping her head low. Kyungsoo grabbed her by the chin to make her look back. “I’m sorry, sweetie. To tell you the truth, it wasn’t work that kept me late. Appa’s parents were lecturing me for a long long time because I was being bad.” He admitted so she won’t despise his work that much.

“What did you do that’s so bad, Appa?” She asked with a frown. Kyungsoo leaned close to her ear. “Years ago, Appa started liking this treasure box that was given to me as a gift. It wasn’t an extravagant treasure box but I cherished it so much. However, I had to keep to myself. People around Appa didn’t like that kind of treasure box thinking it has no value. But I just kept it, secretly. Until now.”  He makes up a story earning an interested look from the kid, finally. “What’s inside the treasure box, Appa?” She asked in fascination. Kyungsoo smiled and cupped her face. “I once saw what’s inside but it was so beautiful that I got scared. I was scared to take it for myself and then lose it if I wasn’t careful enough, if I wasn’t worthy to own such a beautiful treasure. I felt weak. I was stupid and I locked it again and I threw the key away as far as I can.” He continued while making a throwing motion with his arm to make the story even more enticing to the kid.

“Oh no, Appa, why’d you do that?” Inyoung gasped and covered . “So now, my parents want me to just forget about the treasure box and find a new one that’s more expensive, more extravagant. But Appa can’t take it. Appa wants to find the key to the treasure box. . . open it without being scared anymore.” He sig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter