THREE

DISCIPLINE

"Mr. Kim is here!" a voice came from inside the classroom.

 

As soon as Mr. Kim entered the classroom all the students had already found their way to their seats. He stood behind his desk and scanned the room just to see who's here and who's not. "Ah jeez." he sighed resting the palm of his hands on his hip.

 

A student stood up and everyone followed suit. They bowed for their teacher and greeted him.

 

"Thank you. Before we start our lesson I have a little surprise for you" Mr. Kim gestured for Sunggyu to come in.

 

Sunggyu got everyone's eyes on him once he walked in, he seemed nervous, but it wasn't his first time nevertheless. Sunggyu bowed "Hello, my name is Kim Sunggyu, and I'm here to be an intern for seven weeks, let's help each other!"

 

Mr. Kim noticed the question marks flying above the student's heads "He's here to gain more skills in teaching, so he will teach you later. You must all respect him as much as you respect me, let's help him complete his tasks" he looked at Sunggyu and continued "My students are the best, so don't worry".

 

"I'm not worried" he smiled.

 

He pointed at a desk at the back of the classroom "You will sit there when you are not teaching, just to give you a good view on the whole class"

 

Sunggyu thanked him, and made his way to the back. He pouted, there were two chairs, where he's supposed to sit? Just when he was about to sit on one of them, someone kicked the door of the classroom open, making Sunggyu freeze from the sudden movement.

 

The new comer walked straight to the intern. He sat on the empty chair – the intern was going to sit on-, he pushed the intern's backpack of his desk with his forearm before he lays his head on it, and drifted off to sleep right away.

 

Mr. Kim sighed and gestured Sunggyu to sit on the other chair before he started the lesson. The intern smiled nervously but picked up his backpack and sat on the other chair anyway.

 

Sunggyu took out his notebook and observed Mr. Kim's strategies of teaching while taking some notes. He couldn't stop thinking about that kid, did I do something wrong? After all Sunggyu was innocent, he didn't know that the chair belongs to someone else. He carried on writing his notes. When the bell rang, Mr. Kim ended the class and asked the intern to follow him.

 

 

"How did you find the students?" Mr. Kim asked as he took the lead to the teacher's office.

 

"They are nice, and quite!" were they? Sunggyu don't lie, not all of them were.

 

"About that kiddo.. Don't mind him, he's doing that to grab everyone's attention, but he has a sweet heart" he was right. The kid didn't do anything wrong, he was just sleepy. After all, you can't judge people by their actions.

 

"I understand!" that kiddo's behavior reminded Sunggyu of the kids he used to teach in a primary school before, but this one was older, taller, a student in his last year of school.. Yet a kiddo!

 

They made their way to Mr. Kim's desk when they first entered the teacher's office. Sunggyu had to stop few times to bow for the other teachers, they asked him if he was a new student, he denied saying he was just an intern. He observed the room, it had few rows of teacher's desks, and some of them seemed messier than the others. There was also a huge straight table in the middle of the room the intern thought it's been used for a meeting due to the scattered papers on it with three empty coffee mugs.

 

The elder grabbed a chair and settled it beside his desk for the intern to sit. The intern bowed before sitting. "Do you have any questions for me? You know you are always welcome to ask!"

His face beamed with joy before he nodded. "Thank you. I do have a question" The other signed him to continue. "How am I supposed to know each student's name? I mean, when I used to teach kids we would play games to introduce ourselves"

 

"So why don't you do that with my students?"

 

"Can I? I mean I'm not sure, the games were for kids" he mumbled.

 

"Don't you think they are kids as well?" Mr. Kim leaned forward to whisper that for the intern.

 

Sunggyu watched the other grinning. How comes for a human being to be so handsome? He remembered the old ladies he had worked with, all of them were older than him, they smelled like mint, sometimes they would smell like the tea-time table which wasn't something to please for a coffee lover like him. He has never worked with a guy before because mostly old ladies would pick him for his cute face – they need to get their eyes checked-. It was only the first day but Sunggyu felt comfortable with this teacher. He doesn't seem like someone who would call the intern cute, god, if you can only see his angelic face. Sunggyu blinked few times as he went back to reality, wait! What am I thinking of? He took a deep breath he didn't realize for how long he was holding. A nod.

 

Mr. Kim giggled "You look cute!"

 

No way.. "I don't think I'm cute"

 

"I'm pretty sure I wasn't the first one to call you that" he chuckled.

 

"It's not!" Sunggyu huffed.

 

The elder laughed "Alright. Alright" he stopped to catch his breath "Do whatever you want but I'm sure you won't need a game for that" he chuckled. After all, the students have their name tags on their uniforms unlike children in primary schools.

 

Mr. Kim's phone vibrated as he received a new message. He grabbed his phone and scanned the screen with his eyes. "I have a meeting with the principal. Do you want to join?"

 

Sunggyu didn't know if he should attend that meeting with him or not, he shrugged.

 

"Never mind, you can do your work until I come back" The elder said as he grabbed a notebook and a pen with him. "I'll see you later"

 

Sunggyu watched the other walking out of the office, he didn't really have anything to do so he decided to walk around the campus and explore it a bit more.