ONE

DISCIPLINE

"Hana Academy??" the students couldn't believe that their prayer has finally reached heaven and that Hana Academy, one of the best private schools in Seoul, has finally accepted their request to be teachers under training for some time there.

 

"But unfortunately, the school has accepted one student only.." Mr. Park knew by saying this he would make everyone so disappointed and jealous of that one student.

 

For students in their last semester at college, they all want to be placed in such a great school – like Hana Academy –. This school was everyone's dream, the teaching system there is very different from any other public school in Seoul, very different in many excellent ways, and because it's a private school they pay high salaries plus other free insurances for their staff and teachers.

 

Mr. Park added that since it's their last semester they have to work hander, they have to show professionalism, gain more skills from their seniors, and they have to leave good impression so that the schools they are training at would accept their job request in the future. He also mentioned something about being late and absent without an acceptable reason. These advices weren't something new for students in their last year in this major, they have heard them enough already during the past few years, their teachers would remind them with the same rules and advices before every teaching practice they were out on.

 

Something about Mr. Park's speech grabbed everyone's attention again which was that one of them is going to teach twelve graders in school instead of students in primary or kindergarten.

 

"But how? Our major seeks to graduate teachers for primary!" one student asked with a confused look on her face. It was right that their major in college send students to schools so that they practice teaching little children in primary and sometimes in kindergarten. It aims to give them the opportunities to go out and experience teaching different levels of students before facing the real world after graduating. The problem here was that they have never experienced teaching high school students.

 

"I've tried my best to convince Hana Academy's principal to accept students from our college to teach in their school, he said only one teacher volunteered to work with you which means only one student from this class is going there. Unfortunately, that teacher who volunteered is teaching twelve graders and I can't pass up this opportunity. I know that you have never tried to teach older kids before, and I know it's a bit challenging for you all, that's why I looked through your grades from last semester and I picked the one with the most grades to go there and win this challenge." Mr. Park paused and everyone looked in the direction of the said person – everyone expected it already. "Kim Sunggyu. You are the one"

 

A nod.

 

"You can drop out this opportunity if you don't want to, and I will find someone else to go instead"

 

"No Mr. Park! I can do it!" said sunggyu.

 

"Alright then, everyone will be teaching students in primary from grade one to five except for Kim Sunggyu who's going to teach students in their third year of high school. The class is dismiss, you can leave but I'm here if you want to ask questions" The teacher said as he sits behind his desk.

 

As soon as he sat someone approached him, Mr. Park knew exactly who that person was. "I know you have a long list of questions, take your time, there's no one after you anyways" he laughed at the fact that no one ever appreciated the time he's giving to them except for that one student whose name is Kim Sunggyu.

 

"Sure." he said and took a seat facing his teacher. "I wanted to ask you about the days we are out to school and the days we are coming back to college". As far as he knows, student-teachers are out on teaching practice for four days and the remained day they would come to college to discuss their concerns with their teachers.

 

"I'm still not sure about that but I guess you are going to be at school for five days a week" Mr. Park mentally pouted seeing the other one pouting, he didn't like the idea either.

 

Sunggyu hugged his notebook closer to his chest "But Mr. Park what if I had questions?"

 

Mr. Park grinned at how cute the boy was "Of course I'm visiting you there at least once a week, don't worry Sunggyu, I've already made a schedule of whom I'm meeting with and when, your name is there as well, I just need to make sure about the placements of the other students and I will be telling you when I am going to meet you. Have you got more questions for me?" who are you asking Mr. Park? Of course Kim Sunggyu has more questions to ask, that was only the first question.

 

Sunggyu opened his notebook again to read the second question "You said you need one peer observation, but I've got no one in the same school."

 

"Well, in that case I'm going to ask one of your classmates to leave their school whenever they have free time to go to your school to observe you teaching." Mr. Park got his fingers interlocked on his desk as he leaned toward the boy and whispered "You know you can pick that person, right?" a smirk was drown on his lips.

 

Sunggyu shifted uncomfortably on his seat but he nodded anyway. He thanked his teacher and excused him to leave.