Chapter 28

The Little Merman

 

Jackson and he had rose from their sleep and swam back close to the castle in the water canal. They waited for anything to happen - mainly for Jaehyun to show up. Hoseok was glad there was someone who could go back and forth to communicate with Jungkook. Hoseok wished he could. It was strange not seeing Jungkook every second of the day. He missed his friend.

 

In reality Jungkook was the closest and only thing he had when it came to family. Namjoon, Yoongi and Taehyung thanked him for being Jungkook's friend but it was different. Once upon a time he thought Taehyung could be added to his family - it had been a dream too good to ever come true sad to say. He might not be able to be with his love but he hoped Jungkook could.

 

Without warning a white swan approached them. In seconds Jaehyun wasn't a swan and was a bouncing human. Hoseok could tell there was good news he had to share. He clung to hope and imagined that Jaehyun was going to announce that Jimin had kissed Jungkook.

 

"You wouldn't believe it! I went to Kookie and told him everything! Everything seems to be going better than we expected!" Jaehyun cried out merrily.

 

Hoseok opened his mouth just to be beaten by Jackson, "Spit it out!"

 

Jaehyun explained, "It's Jimin! He's getting married. Kookie and he are going to get married today and they're going to be together forever! Isn't this great?"

 

It was as if his prayers to Poseidon had been answered. Jungkook was going to live happily with his life mate. They were going to kiss and Jungkook would be human like Jimin. It was a process to get to here but they had done it and succeeded! There were pros and cons - Jungkook would be with his love yet away from his family and friends. Hoseok was happy either way.

 

As long as Jungkook was happy and safe everything was worth it. At least IU wouldn't have any claim over Jungkook now that he'd be Jimin's husband soon enough. Oh how exciting it all sounded to him!

 

"That's amazing, Jaehyun! Ooh Kookie must be on cloud nine right now!" Hoseok gushed.

 

Jackson crossed his arms and gazed at Hoseok with relief, "Wow...We really did do it." He frowned, "If only his family could see him now."

 

Hoseok placed an arm on Jackson's shoulder, "I know they would want to be present for this special moment. Maybe one day they can come together peacefully?"

 

Jackson exhaled. There were doubts but he kept his mouth shut for now. He would let Hoseok believe that was likelihood in the future. It had been humans that killed Jin - Namjoon, Yoongi and Taehyung wouldn't be making peace with any humans soon.

 

No one could blame them.

 

"What are we to do now?" Hoseok asked.

 

Jaehyun moped, "It would've been nice to have given Kookie some advice or wish him could luck. He's probably getting ready for his big day."

 

Hoseok smiled at those words. It was a big day for his friend. Mers dreamt of their weddings. The thought had never bothered him until Taehyung had proposed. Even after he was engaged Hoseok didn't care about the wedding ceremony. All that mattered was that he'd spend his life with his blue haired merman he loved.

 

Throughout this time with helping Jungkook reunite with his love, Hoseok hadn't considered the chances of his own unity. It was desired but he was unsure. He loved Taehyung but he was confused with the younger. Had their marriage just been a means to an end? As long as Jungkook stayed away from humans? Even if Taehyung truly loved him, Hoseok wanted good intentions. They were marrying to love each other not getting something out of it.

 

If Jungkook hadn't been captivated with humans he wouldn't have ever found his true love. He protested to ponder on his love life when he should be cheerful for Jungkook.

 

It would’ve been nice to be present for Jungkook's wedding but he'd have to visualize it for now. No doubt Jungkook was bursting in joy.

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

Going back to his chambers was painful but doable. It's not like he could roam around in his nightclothes. Jeonghee entered in jubilation with another box in her hands. Like during his time in Mikrokosmos, Jungkook remained silent as Jeonghee chattered cheerfully.

 

"It's good to see that Jimin settling down," Jeonghee began as she opened the box. Jungkook fiddled with his fingers. She pulled out a black long sleeved shirt, "He deserves to be happy, you know?"

 

Jungkook prevented himself from crying as he smiled and nodded at Jeonghee's words. Seeing his support, Jeonghee sighed and took out another piece of clothing from the box.

 

"The queen said Jimin was certain about this girl. She's been the one he's been searching for. Isn't that romantic?" Jeonghee keenly continued.

 

Jungkook kept his eyes on his reflection of himself while Jeonghee kept speaking. She must've thought that Jimin and he were just good friends. Jimin did bring him into his home without doubt. Jimin was a good person and he deserved all the contentment in the world. The human prince was his happiness but it seemed like they weren't meant to be.

 

It was tear-jerking. Jungkook thought that Jimin and he were supposed to be together. They were life mates - how could this have happened?

 

Jeonghee examined him with a satisfied smile. She brushed off his shoulders, "I think Jimin would like you to attend. You look presentable so don't forget to head onto the boat, okay?" Jungkook nodded without any intentions of watching his beloved marry another.

 

He figured he wouldn't see Jimin after this morning. Weddings were significant events so Jimin and his to-be wife would be getting ready for their big day. He wouldn't get to see Jimin ever again so it would've been nice to have said goodbye to him. Knowing he wouldn't even get to say farewell, he exited the castle. He might as well spend whatever time he had left with Jackson, Hoseok and Jaehyun.

 

He'd be a prisoner soon enough.

 

When he walked near the canal he could see the joy on his friends' faces. He approached them, sitting right next to Jaehyun on the patch of grass. They couldn't understand why Jungkook was crying.

 

Jackson was the first to ask, "Jungkook, what are you doing here?" There was no reason for the mer prince to be sorrowful. "You should be getting ready." Jungkook shook his head while more tears cascaded down his cheeks.

 

"What are you going on about, Jungkookie?" Jaehyun draped an arm over Jungkook's shoulders. He smirked, "Having cold feet?"

 

Hoseok inspected the reaction and condition his best friend was in. There was no doubt in a mer when they knew who their life mate was. Jaehyun went on about Jimin getting married but never did bring detailed news on who. Even with uncertainty, Jungkook wouldn't be here with them if he was getting married to Jimin. He would take the chance like he took the shot to become human for him.

 

There was more.

 

Hoseok didn't want to say the words, but he did, "You're not marrying Jimin, are you, Kookie?" Hoseok saw his answer in Jungkook's brokenhearted eyes.

 

Jackson was stunned by Hoseok's words. In disbelief he gawked at Jungkook, "Is it true, Jungkook?" The prince nodded.

 

Jaehyun didn't believe that one second. Jimin was going to kiss Jungkook yesterday during the rowboat ride! Why would he change his mind like that? No one does take backs. Why would Jimin do something like that? It was a cruel joke for certain!

 

"But...Jimin was about to kiss you?" Jaehyun asked, remembering that Jungkook couldn't answer. He heaved out a sigh, "I'm sorry, Kookie, really I am." He patted Jungkook's back.

 

Back and forth people were heading out and in the castle towards the pier where the wedding ship was. There was no reason for him to be anywhere near that boat but he felt his heart pulling him towards it. Jungkook could tell it was heart and soul feeling their other half going farther and farther away. He must have been sulking by the tree looking away when Jimin and his to-be wife headed to the boat. It was a relief and curse at the same time.

 

Jackson and Hoseok didn't stop him when he began walking in the direction of the pier. Every step he took his heart shattered into tinier pieces. Soon there would be nothing left beating in his chest. It was all with Jimin and wherever he went in this world of his that was beautiful. Desperately he wanted to but sadly he couldn't.

 

When he made it to the pier he fell to his knees and sobbed. The boat was gradually leaving. There goes his euphoria. His love that he was destined to be with - taken from in him - now he was left broken.

 

There was no way they could ease the suffering in Jungkook's heart. It was like when Namjoon had destroyed the collection, all they could do was watch Jungkook endure it. Hoseok wanted to help and Jackson was waiting for the sun to set on the horizon.

 

What could they do?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡

 

It's not over yet Kookie, I promise! ಥ_ಥ 

BTW I didn't realize that I'd be making +20 chapters for this fic. Since I've added stuff I guess it makes sense that there'd be a bunch more chapters ◉‿◉

Here's his outfit: 

Comments are loved <3