Prologue

The Little Merman

 

It's unknown what the world contains. In the beginning of time there were at all times humans and animals. No true enlightenment to the full picture of why these creatures were created and what purpose they served. An abundant amount of individuals hypothesized explanations. Gazelles and zebras for the fierce lions as the pigs, cattle and fish in the sea were made for human consumption.

 

Notwithstanding the amount of people who long-established truths of the immeasurable creatures and cycles of life in the world it didn't mean that humans knew everything. The world was a mystery. The inquisitive ones were ravenous for information. They hankered to find out everything there was to know about every nook and cranny in the world.

 

The kraken, Phoenix and dragons were from the pages of mythology books. Realists and mythologists went their own ways in life. No sailors were apprehensive with the thought of a giant squid destroying their ships with their colossal tentacles. Or even the likelihood of stumbling upon beautiful sirens that would take them to their deaths. Myths were myths and there was nothing to it.

 

There are those who get to experience something out of the ordinary. Not many have the indication to demonstrate what they truly underwent.

 

Misfortune on the face of it struck in this story.






 

✯✯✯

 

11 Years Ago




 

The last time he had been this tense before was on his wedding day. Most of his qualms involved not being a good husband or by not being devoted enough to the one he chose to spend the rest of his life with. All he sought to do was be a worthy husband. Namjoon was mindful that he was the guarded and fretful type. He worried he wouldn't get to make Jin content. Their wedding night verified he had no reason to worry.

 

He concluded there had to have been a reason why his beautiful Jin accepted the courtship or his song. It had been since the beginning of time that merfolk communicated with song instead of discussions. When he had met Jin he had reservations the other would want him. His father, late King Sihyuk, told him that mermaids and mermen would be in line to be his future spouse for the reason that he was a prince and he had a magnificent voice that would make anyone longing for him.

 

Namjoon owned up that there had been several mermaids and mermen he met who made an effort to amaze him with their own voice and song. Not an iota fit the unidentified description of what he was searching for. Namjoon didn't even know what he wanted in a voice. The only way he could label his craving was a voice that pulled his heart. No voices had no matter how pretty the faces and bodies were. Namjoon felt despondent.

 

Sihyuk left his son to his own devices and said that they would find a proper mermaid or merman for him. It was when he was just wandering around when he caught the most beautiful sound that his eardrums had ever met. From far afield he snooped and tuned into Jin's song as he viewed the fish and other sea creatures swim around him. Namjoon knew he found his one.

 

Time was needed to plan out how he was going to approach Jin. He didn't want to fright his would-be mate. He sang a tune of his own which captivated Jin. Both of them were singing to each other and so close that they were touching in the end. They took the time to get to know each other even more after their meeting.

 

Jin loved pink coral due to its color. The beauty was a tender and thoughtful mer concerning the sea creatures. His parents had passed away and his older brother relocated far away when he met his mate. During the course of any troubles, Jin was optimistic and thought about the humble, little things. Jin had a beautiful heart and soul that Namjoon wanted to care for and love. He wanted to make the other fall in love with him ever since meeting the other mer.

 

Namjoon was fortunate to have met the one for him. Marrying him was adding to his jubilation. The stars aligned since he was living his happily ever after with the one designed for him. In the midst of their seven years of marriage they've been amorous husbands. Namjoon on no occasion was troubled about the probability of him neglecting Jin. He couldn’t ever let himself do that without even noticing.

 

The best thing about them coming together in unison was what came after. Jin gave birth to their beautiful, brilliant sons. The three of them: Yoongi, Taehyung and Jungkook were produced from the genuineness of their love. Namjoon treasured his children and would protect them until his last breath. Jin would do the same too.

 

It was their cherished children who were oblivious of what their mother was doing. Their children had no clue that their mother was endangering his life. Namjoon could trust Jin but he was ambiguous if the ones Jin befriended were dependable.

 

Humans and merfolk were like a bird and fish, neither a part of the same world. Namjoon understood there was a purpose but he didn't know what it was. His father educated him that humans were self-seeking, wretched brutes that'd lose their souls to their belongings. Namjoon, never meeting one, didn't know if he could trust his father's words. Jin had a dissimilar judgement towards them.

 

Jin could straightforwardly be described as the sea, untamable and mysterious. Once when Jin was taking their sons to watch the sea life as he loved to do, a human had fallen into the ocean and would have breathed his last breath if Jin hadn't noticed and rescued him. Namjoon saw Yoongi swim all the way back with his younger brothers. When Jin came back soon without any harm done to him, his worries were needless. Namjoon, not knowing whether to trust humans, didn't want Jin going back.

 

"My love, stay away from land," Namjoon recommended once in their bedroom. Namjoon was frightened of the option of Jin not returning. "We can't trust them."

 

With a wide grin, Jin leaned close to his unsettled husband, "Joon, have you ever met a human?" Namjoon shook his head which the queen anticipated. "Exactly. You can't assume they're malevolent if you've never come across one."

 

Namjoon agreed with Jin. He hadn't ever met a human before so he didn't know how he should feel. "I mean, you're not mistaken, but still...you're safer away from them."

 

Jin couldn't be swayed. "I saved a man, Joon. His name is Hyosang. He appreciated me for my honorable act. We're friends. I can trust him."

 

This "Hyosang" became regular in their life. Hyosang wanted to meet the boys and with gratitude Jin said that they were shy. Namjoon was unconfident with their sons around the humans he knew so little of. Hyosang told no one, plus Jin and Hyosang were alone when they met. It comforted him. It meant to a degree Hyosang could be trusted.

 

Moonbyul, one of Jin's and greatest friends, that he might be green-eyed. Namjoon was self-assured of his marriage. Hyosang did give Jin gifts and in return Jin would sing for Hyosang, but Namjoon couldn't leave his place on the throne each and every time the two met. Namjoon knew the mer he wedded. Jin was no traitor.

 

Right now Jin was meeting Hyosang. Namjoon waited for his beloved every time Jin went off to see his friend. He didn't care what he brought back. His main concern was his husband back safe and without a scratch. It was bizarre that Hyosang asked Jin to meet him at night. Namjoon sent their sons to bed with a kiss to the cheeks and a goodnight.

 

Namjoon sat on his throne as he waited for his husband. Holding his golden trident he breathed out deeply and slouched in fatigue. Hyosang should start a family and leave Jin alone. Without warning Moonbyul swam expeditiously into the throne room with a disturbed expression on her face. Namjoon sat up and was equipped to hear what would come out of Moonbyul's mouth.

 

"Moonbyul, what is it?" Namjoon questioned the mermaid.

 

Moonbyul gulped, "IU is here!"

 

The sea witch! Namjoon thought bitterly in his head.

 

IU was notoriously known for being a wicked sea witch. She had been alive before his father had been born. The cruel woman was part octopus under the sea and on land she had legs. She was a part of both worlds doing nothing but causing suffering. Sihyuk admonished him that IU cheated innocent mers by blinding them with empty promises just so she could take all their energy and youth and turn them into lugworms. It was the only reason that she looked as young as she did now.

 

Sihyuk banished the woman when he had found out what she was doing in Atlantis. No one knew what she was doing until Sihyuk further looked into it. Namjoon wouldn't want a woman like that in his kingdom either.

 

As if on cue, someone swam closer and closer into the throne room. It was a woman with light skin and short black hair. She had black scales all over her chest and arms. Instead of a tail or legs, the woman had black tentacles. Hanging around the female's neck was a golden shell necklace and an octopus bracelet around her right wrist. Both necklace and bracelet luminously shined.

 

"Your Highness," IU greeted the king of Atlantis with mockery. Moonbyul and Namjoon kept their eyes on the sea witch. "How are the kiddos?"

 

Namjoon scowled at the sea witch. When the boys were born, IU had come to each birthing ceremony but was forbidden to go in. Appreciatively the one thing IU couldn't do was teleport or control Merfolk against their wills. IU sneaked back to her burrow where she belonged.

 

Jin didn't keep his eyes off their boys during their ceremonies with the fear of IU. Namjoon vowed that no one would go near their sons. Jin enlightened that he was terrified of IU putting some horrid spell on them. Fortuitously IU hadn't become an issue.

 

"Do not speak of my children, they are no concern to you," Namjoon cautioned the sea witch. He would guard his family from the woman. "Now, what do you want?"

 

IU rolled her eyes and stretched out her right hand, revealing her palm. She recited a small incantation and a pink conch shell trinket box appeared in her hand. Leisurely she moved toward the throne and Namjoon directed his trident near her and Moonbyul aimed her spear too. IU raised her other hand in surrender and stopped.

 

"Take it." IU said with the same wicked grin. Moonbyul nor Namjoon left their spot. IU grumbled melodramatically. "If you don't you'll regret it."

 

Namjoon eyed her suspiciously, "Why would I regret it? For all I know this could be a trick you've cooked up."

 

"Will it help if I tell you this involves your lovely Queen Jin?" IU proposed. Namjoon and Moonbyul were horror-struck.

 

Moonbyul came forward and let down her spear and went towards the sea witch and used her other hand to take the trinket box. Namjoon gripped onto the trident strongly and took the box Moonbyul offered him.

 

IU bowed her head, "Ta ta." She swam out of the castle. The guards dispatched outside observed as the sea witch swam farther and farther away from the kingdom. They were all unaware that she'd be back.


 

 

 

 

 

くコ:彡 くコ:彡 くコ:彡

 

 

The prologue was fun writing (◠‿◕) Here comes the first chapter! Comments are loved (•ө•)♡