Chapter 26

The Little Merman

 

They didn't need to know and they never would. He kept it a secret for a long time that it would more than likely remain that way forever. It would likely be this way until after Yoongi became king of Atlantis and his own life mate and they had their own children. It was a dreadful situation but it was not one Namjoon could really fix.

 

He’d never done this before but he had the power to, like he had told Jin. It was his life mate that was the reason why he was doing this. Their usual communication wasn't enough for this conversation. Namjoon wanted to really be in Jin's presence when he tells him all about what was recently going on.

 

Namjoon told Moonbyul to keep guard on the kingdom. He had told her that he was going to see someone he thought might be able to help them find Jungkook. He hated that he lied to Moonbyul but she wasn't aware of the secret he had been keeping for so long. She wouldn't have approved of it at all which was why he hadn't told her. He didn't even tell Jackson.

 

He had gotten close enough to the shore before using the trident to change his tail to legs. The process was painful but there were more agonizing things in life he had to deal with. Like him, IU could do the same and make her human - it was how she was able to trap Jin on land in her prison. Humans normally didn't walk around so he tried to remember how Jin once described the clothes humans wore.

 

With an image in his head he used the magic from the trident to create the picture in his head. It stung a bit to remember Jin describing the strangeness of the clothing and materials that human beings wore.

 

"Men wear something called shirts to cover their top. There are sleeves that they put their arms through. They have 'trousers' which cover your lower half. You put your legs through the sleeves, sometimes there a button to put a hole through. Women don't even wear the same! They wear something called 'dresses.'"

 

At that moment they had been chatting in the throne room alone. Their sons had gone off to play while Moonbyul was training some new guards and checking the perimeter of the kingdom to make sure everything was functioning correctly. Jackson took the day off to spend time with his family. Kings got no days off, he noticed.

 

Jin was vibrant and full of joy when he talked about humans. Of course the only things he knew about them was the answers Hyosang gave him. Namjoon had been a bit astonished that the human had been patient with Jin's desire for knowledge. It was nice to see something make Jin happy. Namjoon preferred Jin to let the man drown if it meant preventing their family from breaking a part.

 

Dressed in the all black attire he had created with his memory and the magic of the trident, Namjoon steadily got up from where he sat on the sand. Legs and wearing clothes were so otherworldly to him. Even walking was a big change from always swimming. He didn't know how Jin could want to know more about humans when they were so odd.

 

Using a simple spell he learned he was able to transform the long golden trident into pendant on a simple thin string that he used to make a necklace. In order to be human he would have to be as odd as them - including the fact that they couldn't know anything about his real identity.

 

The only reason he had an idea that IU had hidden Jin here was because of the sudden black magic aura he was getting. He wasn't trying to get anywhere near the sea witch. She was more than likely making deals with foolish humans here in this kingdom. He would know if she was anywhere nearby due to her strong aura. She wouldn't know he had invaded her space. With his trident she couldn't do anything to him.

 

Turning his head to look around the beach suddenly he felt a pull at his heart. Namjoon gazed at the kingdom near the beach. He was planning to make his way over there but something stopped him in his tracks.

 

I’m the one I should love

Heundeulligo duryeowodo

apeuro georeoga

Pokpung soge sumgyeodwotdeon

jinjja neowa manna

 

He could tell the voice was nowhere nearby but the only reason he could find it was the connection it had to his heart and soul. A tear nearly escaped his eye. There was no time for tears. This being his first time searching for Jin it wouldn't be difficult since he was calling out for him already.

 

It was Epiphany, Jin's heart song to him. The song was the most beautiful he had ever heard since it was meant for him just as Love was meant for Jin. Namjoon hadn't communicated with Jin since Jungkook disappeared. It had been some time since Namjoon hadn't been able to interact with Jin every day. It became easier when the boys got older. Jin was yearning for him - and he was longing for his beloved too.

 

Wae nan ireohge

sojunghan nal sumgyeodugo

sipeotneunji

Mwoga geuri duryeowo

nae jinjja moseubeul sumgyeotneunji

 

The song called out to him, helping him find Jin. Those lyrics would forever be in his heart and only Jin could ever sing the melody beautifully. Hearing Jin's heart song after so long brought back memories - ones that he had long buried due to the agony. Thinking of Jin only added to the pain that he wasn't with them in Atlantis.

 

How could anyone survive not being with their destined one?

 

He thought that he could learn to live with it. Namjoon knew he had to be strong for their sons as well as being a great king for his people. As time went on and even until now he thought he had done well. All of the issues that have occurred fell onto him and he was beginning to feel like a failure.

 

If I was a good appa, Jungkookie wouldn't have left, Namjoon thought. It had been a fear of his - being a disappointment to those who meant the world to him.

 

His father had expected so much about of him and he believed he could never live up to those expectations. It was with Jin that he began understanding that he might be able to even be a better king than his father. Jin, being supportive and loving, never wanted him to lose hope and to think on the bright side.

 

To not think about when we would fail but rather ponder on succeeding. After a while Namjoon believed it. With Jin by his side he knew he would be the best he could be. It felt like without Jin everything had just slowly fallen apart. Nothing helped - the warnings he told his children - he still ended up losing one of his children.

 

What had he done wrong?

 

I’m the one I should love

In this world

Bitnaneun nareul

sojunghan nae yeonghoneul

Ijeya kkaedara

So I love me

Jom bujokhaedo neomu areumdaun geol

I'm the one I should love

 

With confident strides, Namjoon made his way into the kingdom and used the link he had with his beloved to search for him. It would be easier to track Jin as long as he kept singing. Jin wouldn't know that Namjoon was nearby unless he decided to sing the heart song that was made for him.

 

Since it was nighttime there was no citizen outside. There were a few who were bantering outside of a place called WANT with mugs in their hands. Namjoon paid no attention to the humans he despised. There was someone else who would have his undivided attention - someone who never had to ask for it either.

 

He eyed the castle that belonged to the royal family who ruled the kingdom. Mikrokosmos. Jin had said that's where Hyosang lived. Hyosang could only deceive Jin somewhere nearby where IU would be - Mikrokosmos was where Jin was being held. Unbeknown to the king of the ocean, his youngest son was sleeping in one of the rooms in the castle.

 

I’m the one I should love

Oh oh oh

Oh oh oh

Oh oh oh, oh

 

Namjoon had passed by numerous buildings and homes before he spotted the one he needed to get to. The singing was clearer and louder. It was as if Jin was singing right in his ear.

 

The building appeared damaged and old. Regardless of its age, the building was still standing and nothing was unordinary about it. It had a roof, four walls, a window and a door. There were little stairs that led up to the door. Namjoon went up the stairs, his eyes averting towards the ground where a few large beetles were surrounding a pot with flowers.

 

Victims of IU's, Namjoon thought at the hopeless bugs that could just be squashed at any moment - like that their lives gone.

 

It wouldn't have been hard for IU to end Jin's life. She didn't even have to give him legs. It was peculiar and if Jin knew anything he would've definitely informed him. It just proved the point to never trust the sea witch.

 

Ignoring the beetles he pushed open the door for it to be unlocked. When he entered the building he was greeted by shelves and tables full of items. There was a bowl of seashells and sand dollars, dead seahorses and fish, cowries and shells from clams and oysters, etc. It was a shop.

 

It made sense that IU would choose this as a perfect disguise. The filthy woman made deals with innocent people blinded by her powers. Shopkeepers did their best to get you to purchase whatever they had to offer. IU was handing out presents to people with strings attached.

 

Of course there was only one thing he could ever want in this forsaken shop of IU's. He could hear Jin coming behind the doorway where a curtain of cowry and crab shells. Without hesitance he made his way towards the curtain and peeked through. Although he knew what was ahead he was still thrown off completely by the reality of it all.

 

The room was small. It was half a dungeon and the other half had shelves with books and weird jars full of small sea creatures like starfishes and sea urchins. Inside of the cell was none other than his dear Jin. There was a small window in front of Jin where he was singing out of as he tried peeking through it.

 

I’m the one I should love

 

Just as it has been long ever since heard Jin's heart song to him it's been just as long for Jin. The last time they had sung their heart songs was when they sang lullabies to the boys in the nursery for bedtime. Those moments were precious and full of love. Namjoon was busied by the matters concerning the kingdom so on occasion Jin would be the one to lull the boys to sleep.

 

Like now Namjoon could hear the verses Jin sang to their children as a lullaby. Namjoon did the same before and after Jin's departure.

 

Oh oh oh

Oh oh oh

 

Namjoon stayed back, leaning his back against the wall and preparing himself for what he was about to do. He hasn't sung his heart song ever since the boys stopped living in the nursery together. This would affect him as much as it would affect Jin.

 

Oh oh oh, oh oh

I’m the one I should love

 

There was a bit of silence and Namjoon left it at that. He wasn't going to leave now.

 

Manyak naega gandamyeon eotteolkka

Naega gandamyeon seulpeulkka neon

Manyak naega animyeon nan mwolkka

Gyeolguk neodo nal tteonalkka

 

Namjoon felt the emotions he felt the first time he had sung his heart song to Jin. It had been a week after he had first spotted the pink tailed merman. At that time he wanted to love and care for Jin for as long as they lived. Even now after elven years and just singing those four verses, Namjoon still wanted to love Jin relentlessly.

 

He wished he could see Jin's face, no doubt the other thought this to be a cruel joke from IU. Namjoon would expose himself to Jin. He wanted to, but even he was lost in the song and feelings in his heart.

 

Neon naye saram, saram, saram

Neon naye baram, baram, baram 

Neon naye jarang, jarang, jarang 

Neon naye sarang

Dan han sarang

 

After what felt to be so long Namjoon went through the curtain and entered the room. His eyes were glued onto Jin, who was no longer looking through the window. Jin, dressed in human clothes, looking as beautiful as ever watched him with shock. Namjoon guessed the only way his husband would believe it's him is if they were to touch.

 

Without struggle Namjoon approached the cell, putting his hands on the bar. "Hello, Jin."

 

Jin gulped, "Namjoon? It's...Is it really you?" Namjoon could see Jin's want to touch his hands but the doubt was present - fear that this was just an illusion.

 

Namjoon let go of the bars and extended his hands for Jin to touch. "It's really me, Jin. IU doesn't even know I'm here, but I sensed she was here."

 

When a few seconds passed Jin stepped away from the window and went in the direction of the bars. He placed his hands in Namjoon's. Namjoon held onto Jin's cold, soft hands. Eleven years and their skin were truly touching. No magic through the communication devices IU had gifted them.

 

How wonderful it felt. Namjoon wanted to touch Jin entirely. Leaving no part of him as exception.

 

"Oh Joon, it really is you!" Jin said delightedly, squeezing Namjoon's hands. He leaned his head close, "What are you doing here?"

 

Namjoon had forgotten for a second of his purpose. He let go of Jin's hands and reached his hand out to caress Jin's face. With Jin's eyes on his own, Namjoon Jin's face and touched his black locks. He was really touching his husband after so many years. It felt amazing to be so close yet so far away.

 

Jin leaned into the touch, longing for the contact as well. Namjoon leaned to kiss the other until he ended up being pressed up by the bars. The king exhaled, remembering that this wasn't going to be as easy as he thought. He removed one hand and gripped the trident pendant and conjured up some of the magic. He couldn't teleport but he could go through barriers such as a wall.

 

He leaned into the bars just to push Jin further into the cell. Namjoon opened his eyes to see that the magic worked. He was now inside of the cell with his husband. Instead of allowing Jin to react, he embraced the beautiful male and kissed him passionately. In response Jin kissed back.

 

Before thinking and lost in the love for his husband, Namjoon pushed Jin on top of the flat stone platform that Jin used as a bed. It was cold and uncomfortable but Jin didn't feel that now that Namjoon was with him.

 

Namjoon was on top of Jin, his hands all over him. Their lips hadn't part ever since they had touched. Namjoon pulled away. Both were panting heavily yet they didn't want to let go of each other. Namjoon looked down at Jin lovingly while the beautiful male had his arms wrapped around his husband's neck.

 

"You're still as beautiful as the day I met you," Namjoon whispered as he Jin's flawless skin. He smiled softly, "Communicating for those eleven years doesn't compare to this."

 

Jin agreed, "We're so connected. So in love." He removed his arms and touched Namjoon's face. It had been so long and they were both indulging in it.

 

Namjoon knew there was so much anger he had towards Jin but it felt like that entire fury had dissolved just when he had touched his husband. It was as if it didn't matter anymore but it did. Even if they had this small moment it didn't mean there'd be more. Namjoon wasn't even here to visit Jin. He had wanted to tell him about Jungkook face to face because he blamed him.

 

He blamed Jin for Jungkook's interest in humans. He didn't think Jungkook inherited it from Jin. Namjoon liked to think that if Jin had just let go of his fascination with humans he wouldn't have been kidnapped and Jungkook wouldn't have been interested. Jungkook wouldn't have ever been sad and tried to find more to life than his own world. Jungkook would've been happy with his family.

 

That didn't happen though. Jin hadn't stopped and he got kidnapped. Their children were heartbroken and Namjoon attempted to be the best father to them. Though he tried his hardest he still lost one of them. Why were humans taking what he loved as if it belonged to them?

 

"What brought you here, Joon?" Jin imagined numerous possibilities. Seeing Namjoon's eyes darken, he knew it wasn't for him. Jin's mood died down, "You didn't come to visit me, did you?"

 

Namjoon didn't stop Jin's face, "No, Jin...I didn't." He was about to get off but Jin grabbed his arms. He stayed put. "This is about Jungkook."

 

Jin raised an eyebrow. The last thing he had heard about his youngest son was that he had fallen in love. He surmised that Namjoon would figure out who that was. It was exciting news!

 

Jin beamed, "Who's the lucky mer?"

 

Same thing I had wondered, Namjoon thought. He frowned, "Our baby is following your footsteps, Jin." He felt Jin's hands loosen. "Like you, Jin, he's fallen in love with a human." Jin let go of his husband and Namjoon got off of him.

 

Jin sat on the stone bed, "I didn't fall in love with a human, Namjoon." His husband had his back facing him. "You have to know that."

 

Namjoon turned to him, "What are you talking about, Jin? Of course you did." He looked devastated, tears pouring from his eyes. "That's why you kept going back."

 

Jin shook his head, "You're wrong, my love." He got up from his bed and walked towards Namjoon, "I fell in love with humans."

 

Namjoon could never understand Jin's and Jungkook's infatuation. "Why?" Jin opened his mouth put Namjoon spoke first, "Don't you see what they do? They deceived you and Jungkook's human will do the same."

 

Jin put his hands on Namjoon's chest, "Joon, I don't believe all humans are deceitful as I don't believe all Merfolk are lovely." Namjoon was bewildered. The queen smirked, "How many mers tried getting in our bed?"

 

Namjoon loved how Jin called it their bed. It always was and always will be. "Many try and they all failed. You're mine and I'm yours. No one will take your place."

 

Jin leaned close and began touching Namjoon's hair and face, "As no one will take yours." He pecked Namjoon's lips, "Namjoon, you can't assume things."

 

Namjoon shook his head, "It doesn't mater what I think, Jin...Jungkook ran away." He could see Jin's shock. He sat on Jin's bed, more tears falling, "I...I tried, Jin, I really did. I thought I could do this. For a moment I had everything handled fine. Yoongs, Tae and Kookie found their way back to being happy and I thought...I thought the only issue I'd have is you."

 

Jin advanced towards his husband. He stood as he looked down at Namjoon who was having a break down.

 

"I thought I was doing everything right, Jin...Kookie had a collection! You had what Hyosang gave you but he visited shipwreck graveyards and snatched whatever was interesting...Destroying it all I thought I could prevent myself from losing him as I had lost you." Namjoon sobbed.

 

Jin could easily tell this was the same situation they had been in before they had their family. Namjoon was worried about not being good enough for anything. His father. Atlantis. Him. After they married Namjoon still had those qualms roaming his head. He was scared of being a bad husband and a bad father. Jin was able to convince him that he was going to do amazing at everything - king, husband and father.

 

It was happening again.

 

Jin Namjoon's face, wiping away the tears on his husband's face, "Joon, you are an excellent appa."

 

Namjoon lifted his head up, "If I am then why did Kookie leave? He wouldn't have left if he didn't hate me...I'm messing up, Jin, and...I just want to find him. I want him home." Like you, Namjoon thought.

 

Jin put his legs over Namjoon's lap, his legs on the stone bed. He clung to his husband, "Joon, you're the same appa that you were when I was pregnant with Yoongi. Loving, doting and overprotective. You've always been those things, whether to me or the boys. You're still like that."

 

Namjoon allowed himself to be captivated by Jin's words. He had stopped crying and was listening to his husband he had been longing for so long.

 

"You're going to find him, Joon," Jin promised as he pulled Namjoon into a passionate kiss. Jin removed his lips and Namjoon desire for more. He wanted to keep kissing Jin's soft, sweet and plump lips.

 

Namjoon draped his arms around Jin's waist, pulling him closer, "What about us, Jin? ...What are we to do?"

 

Jin wished he had an answer. Unless IU gave him back his tail he wasn't returning to Atlantis anytime soon. He'd rather rot in the cell than try to create a new life amongst humans. His life was with his family.

 

"I...I don't know, Joon," Jin truthfully responded. He didn't blame Namjoon for not coming any sooner. "I'll stay here till death."

 

Namjoon looked down with guilt in him. "I feel awful for lying to the boys and everyone else, Jin...They'd hate me if they found out about you."

 

Jin didn't want that, "You're not at fault, Joon. This situation isn't easy, especially for you. I don't blame you for telling them I'm dead."

 

"Lying to Moonbyul that I was seeing a mer for help was hard, though I've been lying to her for eleven years," Namjoon confirmed. Jin smiled at the mentioning of his friend. "Solar and she had a baby. His name is Seungcheol."

 

Jin giggled, "How sweet." It would be nice to go back home but he was paying the price for trusting a crafty, lying human. "I wish I could be there."

 

"Me too." Namjoon said. He didn't want to leave Jin but he couldn’t stay. He had Atlantis to run and find Jungkook. He had an idea. "Maybe after I find Kookie, I'll them."

 

Jin raised an eyebrow, "About me still being alive?" Namjoon nodded. Jin was uncertain, "I don't know, Joon...I'd love to see my babies, but they might not want to see me."

 

"We'll come across that bridge. If IU won't give you your tail, we'll have to handle this. Our strange family reunion." Namjoon explained with a smile.

 

Jin wanted to see his babies. It's been so long. He wouldn't get to see them like he was seeing Namjoon now. However something was better than nothing.

 

"I'd love that, Joon," Jin said as he kissed Namjoon's lips once more.

 

They wouldn't get another chance like this as long as IU kept Jin a prisoner. Unknown to the king and queen, they would be seeing each other soon. Not necessarily for a family reunion sad to say.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

​​​​​​    くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡

 

NAMJIN REUNITES!!!

Kind of..?