Chapter 23

The Little Merman

 

Mikrokosmos was not similar to Atlantis, not just one being on land and the other underwater. Jungkook had a luminescent smile on his face while Jimin led him around the kingdom. Jungkook had so many ideas of what the human world looked like. Now getting a taste of it, Jungkook could see his visualizations he created in his mind didn't precisely fit the bill.

 

If all human kingdoms were like Mikrokosmos, Jungkook would like to have the honor of visiting them as well. The kingdom was large, the massive island belonged to the royal family of Park. Jimin had stated that he was the only child of his parents ergo he was to produce an heir so the bloodline of Park would continue.

 

Jungkook blushed at the "producing an heir" part. Not all mermen could get impregnated like his mother or Jackson's husband, Mark, and other mermen. It wasn't frowned upon either; some mermaid couples had surrogates to carry their child. It was a long process that the king had to be a part of so the rightful parents would get their child instead of the surrogate that would on occasion decide they want to keep their child.

 

He could've had Jimin's children if circumstances were different. The only way they would've ever been able to figure out of that likelihood is if Jimin was a merman. On top of that he'd permanently be a human if Jimin kissed him. Maybe they could have children through a surrogate like the mer couples underwater?

 

Just from hearing little bits of Jimin's responsibilities, he could tell it was stressing the prince out. Humans and mers were incredibly different, Jungkook realized. Yoongi was never pressured like that. His older brother was eighteen and still learning how to reign rather than being demanded to find his life mate and produce an heir.

 

Not only did Jimin's duties demonstrate the differences but Jungkook couldn't spot any males with males affectionately or female with females. Jungkook was waiting for Jimin to grab his hand since their hands kept touching accidentally but the human prince kept his distance. Jungkook couldn't tell if Jimin wanted to hold his hand. Perhaps humans didn't accept relationships like those?

 

The reason why mermen could even have the possibility of being carriers was centuries ago during the beginning of the Merfolk, mermaids were being murdered by pirates. Poseidon had created some mermen that were able to reproduce. This resulted in more mermaids being born and other mermen having the ability to bear children as well. It worked out since there were Merfolk all over the vast ocean.

 

Jungkook bit back the urge to grasp Jimin's hand. The last thing he wanted to do was lose his chances. He didn't want to scare Jimin away. He was already considered a stranger.

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

While Jungkook and Jimin passed the water canal in the kingdom, Jackson and Hoseok were watching. When Jaehyun returned to the beach after observing from afar doing the best he could, they wanted a report on Jungkook's process. The big positive was now Jungkook was living in Jimin's castle and as of now things were getting better since they were spending together.

 

Hoseok had his hopes high. He had to. Jungkook truly loved Jimin and if only Jimin knew Jungkook was the one who saved him, he wouldn't resist kissing him. Sad to say, IU took Jungkook's only way to tell Jimin that he saved him. It was devastating to see Jimin realize Jungkook couldn't be the one who rescued him. Hoseok prayed to Poseidon that the stars would align for them.

 

They deserve each other, Hoseok thought as he watched Jimin and Jungkook go further into the kingdom.

 

"Has he kissed him yet?" Jaehyun asked as he sat down near the tree that was close to the canal. His wings were hidden.

 

Both mermen kept down low so no one would spot them.

 

"Not yet," Jackson answered. He exhaled in exasperation, "I don't get what he sees in that human boy. Legs aren't as breathing as a mer's tail."

 

Hoseok elbowed the crabby merman, "Hey! Don't judge my friend's life mate." His eyes were only for one merman. That didn't work out. "Besides, Jimin isn't that bad."

 

"As in looks?" Jaehyun questioned.

 

"I'm more curious to how good his singing voice is," Jackson intervened. Mers were all about song. "Jungkook sang him his heart song; does Jimin even have an interest in music?"

 

Hoseok rolled his eyes, "Jimin took him in when he didn't have to. Jimin is a good person. Jungkook is a stranger who can't talk. Who can believe a complete stranger, washed up on the beach half , insisting they cannot speak? Jimin was nice even to let him in his castle for crying out loud!"

 

Jackson wasn't convinced, "Whatever you say."

 

Hoseok couldn't win with anyone it seemed.

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

"Come with me," Jimin said as he led Jungkook towards this little hut that was well hidden by two large buildings selling items. Jungkook trailed right behind.

 

With curiosity Jungkook followed without hesitation. He was starting to believe that as long as he was with Jimin he'd follow him to the ends of the Earth. If anything he wished and hoped that Jimin would do the same for him. Mers only loved once, his parents' relationship proved that. So many mermen and mermaids sought after his father's heart and he was still devoted to his deceased beloved.

 

Jungkook needed no one to tell him that Jimin was his life mate. The memory of being in IU's lair came back to him. Unless IU had done it herself, he had saw Jimin searching for him on the beach. He had heard Jimin call his voice the most beautiful when he watched Sungwoon get him the day he saved him. Jimin, deep down in his soul, had to feel something for him.

 

Desperately he longed to tell Jimin that he was the one he was looking for. He saved him when no one else would. The song he had heard was meant for him. They were meant to be together, no one and nothing ever to break their bond created by the gods. They were one soul with two hearts.

 

If only his family could see that Jimin was meant for him maybe they wouldn't be too harsh. Jungkook understood that they didn't want to lose him. Losing their mother was hard enough. Jungkook wished they would understand this was the right path for him: Jimin.

 

When they entered the hut there was a large amount of people inside, both male and female. Jungkook could smell a heavy scent waving in the air that came from everyone besides Jimin and him. Everyone was holding mugs or glasses in their hands while bantering and laughing. Jungkook was curious about the dark red drink that everyone seemed to be drinking.

 

"Jimin!" A male voice rang out in the room. No one turned their heads, but two males were making their way towards them.

 

With a large smile Jimin hugged two feminine males, a curly bright blonde and a black haired one. Jungkook could see their toned bodies and their remarkable facial features. Under the sea they would receive plentiful admirers by their appearance. Jungkook couldn't help feeling slightly jealous. Just by how they approached Jimin they clearly knew who he was.

 

"Sungwoon said you might be making a stop here," the blonde one said cheerfully. He pouted, "I feared you had gotten tired of us."

 

Jimin rolled his eyes, "Taemin-hyung, I could never get tired of my best friends!" Jungkook could see Jimin's sincerity. "My parents are just being...The usual stubborn, bossy parents they've always been. Where's Moonkyu-hyung?"

 

"He set off on a trip last minute," the black haired male replied. "I'm guessing Sungwoon-hyung won't be making a special appearance?"

 

"Speak for yourself, Kai." Taemin and Kai spun around to see Sungwoon standing behind them with two mugs in his hand. He glanced at Jungkook, "Jimin, have you introduced your friend?" Taemin and Kai looked back.

 

Taemin brightened when spotting Jungkook, "Who's this, Jimin?" He asked excitedly.

 

Jimin cleared his throat and motioned at Jungkook, "Um...I found him yesterday on the beach. Chimmy actually found him."

 

"Hello!" Taemin exclaimed happily. He extended his hand for Jungkook to shake, "I'm Lee Taemin, friend of Jimin's. And co-owner of WANT."

 

Jungkook raised an eyebrow and gazed at Jimin who read his mind. "WANT is the name of the tavern we're in. Taemin and Kai are the owners."

 

Kai frowned, "He doesn't..."

 

Jimin shook his head, "No he doesn't. And we don't shame on anyone with disabilities."

 

"Of course not," Taemin agreed. He smiled at Jungkook before glancing at Sungwoon, "Did you get him a drink?"

 

Sungwoon nodded, extended his hands that held the mugs towards Jimin and Jungkook, "Yes, here you go."

 

Jungkook held the mug in his hands and stared down at the dark red liquid inside. Everyone else was guzzling down this drink and the heavy aroma emanated from it as well. He had never had anything but water, sea water specifically, his entire life. Last night during dinner all he had drunk was water while Sungwoon's and Jimin's cups were full of a similar dark red liquid.

 

He was adventurous but he didn't know what to drink. He had never had a choice and he couldn't trust exactly everything.

 

Jimin noticed his hesitance, "It's wine. The best too." He took his own mug and drank out of it.

 

Jungkook watched and was glad to see Sungwoon, Taemin and Kai were in a deep conversation that they hadn't realized he hadn't drunk from his mug. Nothing happened to Jimin. He was perfectly fine. Surely he would be fine too, right?

 

He shrugged and wished himself good luck to the new experiences. Slowly, he drank from his mug, opening his to allow to the liquid to fill his mouth. The drink was sweet and it lingered on his taste buds. For a moment it was strange since he began feeling light-headed and then dizzy. And then out of the blue he was in high spirits.

 

He was so happy he could sing of course that was if he still had his voice. Jungkook drank more from his mug, pleased with the reaction he was getting out of this.

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

"He's going to be drunk soon enough," Sungwoon advised Jimin. He drank from his own wine, "Don't give him too much. You want him to enjoy your concert, don't you?"

 

Kai was surprised, "Concert? You're whipping out that voice of yours again, Jimin? It's been some time."

 

He's known Sungwoon, Taemin, Kai and Moonkyu for some time. Sungwoon and Taemin had lived in Mikrokosmos since birth. Kai's parents had been relocating due to some debt his family had with a group of swashbuckling pirates and Moonkyu was a family friend of Kai's. Jimin became best friends with Sungwoon and Taemin at a young age while meeting and befriending the other two at age twelve.

 

Either way the five of them had grown up together and knew each other well. It was the reason why Sungwoon had his suspicions about his preference. He wouldn't be able to keep it from him for too long. It was stressful for him just keeping it to himself. His friends were supportive and not judgmental at all, but he was still accepting it himself. In a perfect world he would be able to say it aloud. In a perfect world he would have the male he loved who he couldn't find.

 

Princes weren't supposed to take a liking in the forms of art. Singing, painting or dancing was out of the question for a prince. The only reason a male was dancing was to waltz with a female which proved an attraction towards each other. Instead of drawing or painting, he had favored singing and dancing. In secret, his friends would have little concerts for themselves.

 

His parents were unaware of his love for singing and dancing. Ever since finding his passion he was always practicing. Writing and composing a song was harder in his opinion but he made an effort at it. It had been the night on the day he had been rescued when all of the emotions had poured out and Jimin was writing down lyrics on his journal he used to make songs. Finally he had come up with something worth listening to.

 

To him it hadn't felt that long but he had stopped singing. His mother caught him humming a tune and since then he had stopped. It had been five months ago when he had gone with them to see the Princess Sunmi of Gashina. Sejeong had her eyes on her son throughout the trip. Princess Sunmi was Jimin's dance partner during the trip and he stopped singing. Not even a hum.

 

Even for as old as they were they had still secretly held concerts in Taemin's and Kai's tavern. That was until five months ago when he had told them he would stop since he didn’t want his parents finding out. Jimin missed it and finally he would be singing once again. For a stranger. It wouldn't be too bad. The song was supposed to be for his savior but that'd have to wait. He still had to get the boy's name.

 

"He wrote it for his unknown savior," Sungwoon said. Taemin and Kai were aware of Jimin's story. "But he's singing it privately for his new little friend."

 

Taemin nodded in understanding, "Why are you so adamant to find this man, Jimin? For all you know he could be a horrible person. He's a stranger."

 

"A horrible person wouldn't have saved me from drowning, Taemin-hyung. They would've left me to die," Jimin protested. He's defend the male forever. "And...I think he should he appreciated for his noble deed."

 

Kai raised an eyebrow, "How do you plan on showing your appreciation?" Jimin's cheeks went red. Kai chuckled, "Would you really sing to him?"

 

"I didn't think that far." Jimin sipped from his mug.

 

Taemin refused to believe that like the rest of them besides Jungkook who was smiling brightly, "No, I don't think so...I think you have an idea, you're just unsure if you want to."

 

Jimin sent a deadly glare at them, "You don't know...Anything about that."

 

Sungwoon spoke sympathetically, "Jimin, you can trust us. It hurts that you can't find it in yourself to tell us about something that you're struggling to keep to yourself."

 

Jimin tightened his grip on his mug, the drunk affect appearing by how light he felt, "Well you clearly all know the secret so why don't you just say it, hm? Instead of walking on eggshells."

 

"We don't want to hurt your feelings, Jimin. We want you to trust us, that's all. We want to help you." Taemin said.

 

Jimin scoffed, "Well might as well get it over with, right? You'll be the only ones to know." He drank the wine left in his mug, "I want to find my savior and marry him! I want to sing to him as he did for me. That song he sang...It sounded like...Something you'd sing to someone you love."

 

Sungwoon tilted his head, "What do you mean?" Jimin told him the story but he never mentioned into depths about the song.

 

"Euphoria!" Jimin screamed, Jungkook blinked and glanced at his human. Tears were beginning to form in his eyes, "He called me his euphoria! When I'm with you, I'm in utopia, he sang to me. Isn't that beautiful?"

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

Jungkook was lost in the feeling that the wine had given to him. He was beginning to comprehend why everyone seemed so happy in WANT. The wine here was like some magical potion that caused a person to feel joyous and light. Jungkook wanted to run around but he doubted his new legs were prepped for that. Even the small steps weren't normal like a human's.

 

The feeling was euphoric but not as addicting as Jimin. To an extent it was a splendid feeling but it was no substitute. Even his drunken state there was only one thing his heart yearned for. Jimin was all he could ever want or need.

 

Jungkook watched Jimin from the corner of his eyes. He wanted to touch him. He wanted Jimin to touch him. When he had saved him and laid his on the sand, they had been so close. He caressed the human's cheek over and over. Jungkook wished to do that again. Jimin was talking so none of that could happen right now.

 

"Euphoria!" Jimin screamed and his attention was on his favorite human in the world. Slightly he regretted not listening to what they had been talking about before.

 

Euphoria was the name of his heart song for Jimin that he sang. Was Jimin feeling euphoric or was he talking about the song? Even so Jungkook listened closely now to what his human prince was conversing with his friends.

 

Jimin was going on about how he called him his euphoria. He even restated one of the lyrics, "When I'm with you, I'm in utopia." Jimin called it beautiful. Jungkook wanted to cry and hold Jimin closely, never wanting to let go. When awakening Jimin had called his voice beautiful but he said the song was. In a way, Jimin had accepted the courtship. There was no way to tell Jimin that he was the one who had sung those beautiful, significant words to him.

 

"My parents...I believe they love me though they want me to marry and have children not be happy. You're my friends and clearly you want me to be happy, but...Someone calling you their happiness...It felt like I was needed by someone who would only ever need me."

 

Taemin inquired, "Like soulmates?"

 

Jimin nodded, "Yeah."

 

"Do you think this man is your soulmate, Jimin?" Sungwoon questioned never expecting these words to come out of his friend's mouth. "That's...That's a hard one."

 

Jimin had tearstained cheeks, "I don't even know where he is...Why did he leave if I'm his euphoria? Calling someone that, you'd think it as a love song."

 

Kai shrugged, "Maybe he had to go?" Jungkook nodded his head as he felt sadness in his heart.

 

"Where to?" Jimin asked. All of this was too much for him it seemed. "... I wanted him to stay. He sang it so lovingly, he even touched my face...I want to give back what he gave to me."

 

"Love" Jungkook mouthed.