Chapter 22

The Little Merman

 

Waiting was all he did most days. His daily routine had changed for being away from his true home for so many years. Even after being out of the ocean for eleven years, Jin still had a detailed visualization of his home. The sea was a sight one could never forget if they had been living in underwater their entire life. Jin yearned for the ocean like he did for Namjoon and his babies. Being away from his family was torture.

 

He had no one else to blame but himself. Jin had helped Hyosang and that should've been it. Humans were as unpredictable as any creature that roamed the ocean. A human swimming in the water had no clue if they would be attacked by a shark or not, it was a risk. Trusting Hyosang had been a risk too. One smile and gratitude from the male human had caused Jin to trust him. It had been an error of his though. A fault he couldn't take back.

 

For a long time he had an interest for human life. Mainly he was fascinated by how different humans and mers were. Never had he gone up to land and observe one. Jin had been wandering the ocean ever since his parents died and his brother moved away with his mate. Jin hadn't been expecting to find his mate being the to-be king of Atlantis. So many unexpected events occurred.

 

Jin never sought after wanting to be a human or live in their world. He thought that having a friend would give him insight on what human life was like. He would've never asked IU for legs yet she gave them to him because he was her prisoner instead of being Hyosang's. It was pretty bad regardless of who was his captor. Still he was stuck in his "human form" and millions of miles away from his family.

 

Telling Namjoon what had happened was tear-jerking. After so long the other blamed him and Jin didn't disagree. It only made sense that he told their children that he was dead. Who knows? Maybe they would've tried to reach out to IU to get him out and end up making a horrible decision by sealing a deal with the wicked sea witch? Jin wouldn't have wanted that at all. His sons thinking he was dead was better than going to any lengths to save him.

 

He didn't want Namjoon to come and get him. Jin deserved this. Namjoon had so much on his plate already just by being king of Atlantis. Jin felt horrible that he had caused his husband more issues.

 

What kept him motivated to continue was what Namjoon told him about their sons. Hearing that Jungkook was in love brought tears of joy to his eyes. Love meant marriage and marriage meant children soon enough. Jin was missing out on too much and he yearned to be with his family and not here on land where he was imprisoned. It was likely best that he just stayed a prisoner until death. Therefore he wouldn't break his children's hearts by them finishing out that he wasn't actually dead.

 

They might blame Namjoon for lying to them. Jin didn't want them to think of their father that way. It wasn't Namjoon's fault. Jin loved Namjoon and always would. It hurt that his husband would question if he had fallen in love with Hyosang. Although the traitor was attractive, Jin never saw him that way. He didn't want to. It wasn't easy to persuade Namjoon due to the circumstances they were in.

 

Three days had gone by since IU visited his prison. Not that he favored the moments the sea witch mocked him, but it was bizarre. She made it a necessity to come to land and on everything. Jin couldn't do a thing but glare at her. One the things he could tell from the woman's eyes was the jealousy that filled them. It took no time to figure out why the filthy witch would be envious of him.

 

Namjoon told him all about IU and her desire to rule Atlantis. Jin learned that she wanted to rule Mikrokosmos when she asked Hyosang to deliver Queen Sejeong's heart to her. IU would try to seduce King Hyoshin as she had done with Namjoon's father, the late King Sihyuk. Jin was disgusted by what she had done to young mers but to her that she'd go as far as killing people not making deals was beyond cruel.

 

IU yearned to rule everyone who had a heartbeat. She wanted every creature to bow to her and appease her needs through her commands. Jin wondered if she would've done the same to Namjoon if they hadn't met. Something told him that she would've. He also was aware that Namjoon wouldn't be allowing the awful woman anywhere near the throne. The world would fall if IU were to ever rule any parts of it. Since she wanted to rule Atlantis, Namjoon's mother and he stole those positions from her. No wonder she despised him and took pleasure in his suffering.

 

Jin theorized she was cooking some trouble up. What she was doing he was unaware of. He likely didn't want to know since it was nothing good but if it concerned the safety of others she needed to he stopped. It's not like he could do a thing while being trapped in a cell inside of a random house.

 

"Hello?" Jin spun his head to see a beautiful human girl inside. She had curly dark hair, red lips and pale skin. She looked familiar.

 

Jin tilted his head, "Yes?" He had never seen her before but it looked like she was looking at a ghost. Maybe she could help him?

 

The girl took a step forward and handed him a book through the bars. Jin grasped the book. He did some reading since IU had left behind some books for him (none were spell books unfortunately.) He taught himself to read since he had been in captive for eleven years. Whatever activity he could take up he did. It was a pain when you had absolutely nothing to do and no one to interact with.

 

"It's a book about famous myths...Harpies, krakens, unicorns...Sirens and mermaids." The girl explained as she eyed the book.

 

Jin smiled. Most of the people who had written these books were long dead by now and people they knew more than likely didn't believe in what these pages talked about. Jin knew that everything in the book he had been given existed (maybe not harpies and unicorns.)

 

"Thank you," Jin appreciated the gift. He wiped a falling tear. He sniffled, lifting his head up, "What's your name?"

 

The girl stiffened, "Uh...Seo Soojin." Jin's eyes widened at that name. He had heard of that name once upon a time.

 

 

It was strange that Hyosang had told him to meet him up at night. Jin trusted the man though. They were friends and that meant they were both trustworthy towards each other. Namjoon had expressed that he was weirded out as well since they usually met up when the sun was up. It relieved his husband that the two would be alone and therefore no other human should be out at this time.

 

Jin could see how his new schedule was tiring his husband. Namjoon haf told their sons that he was helping out other mers. He had agreed and his sons loved the idea and said they wanted to help. In fear, Namjoon told them it was dangerous for young mers to go along. Jin kissed his husband and promised his sons when they were older they could help out mers in need of aid.

 

There was so much Namjoon endured and Jin felt guilty. Being a king wasn't easy and relaxing. Jin promised that he would stop seeing Hyosang for a little bit after today. He hadn't told Namjoon yet since he kind of wanted it to be a surprise. When he returned he'd tell his husband and maybe they could engage in some exciting activities alone in their chambers. Jin blushed at the thought.

 

He was getting closer to the beach of Mikrokosmos where he met up with Hyosang. He noticed there was a boat in the water. He raised his head up and saw Hyosang on the boat and a little girl falling into the water.

 

"Soojin!" Hyosang called out to the little girl.

 

Jin gasped. He swam down and spotted the little girl struggling to get back up to the surface. It was clear that she couldn't swim. Jin speedily got to the little girl and scooped her up with his arms. He was frightened when he saw her eyes close. He had to get her to land as soon as possible!

 

The queen of the ocean had swum until he got to the beach and brought the little girl, Soojin, onto the sand. He laid her on her back and blew air into so she could breathe. It had taken about a few minutes until Soojin's eyes opened and she was coughing up water.

 

With a smile, Jin moved the soaked hair out of Soojin's face, "You're okay, I promise. You're going to be fine."

 

He someone coming and turned to be taken back by a net falling over him. He could see Hyosang right behind the four men that had surrounded him. Hyosang came to take Soojin far from him. The puzzle pieces came together and Jin comprehended that he wouldn't be going back to Atlantis.

 

 

Jin swallowed. He was looking at the little girl who had nearly drowned if it hadn't been for him. It was all a ruse though. When he had been brought into this house belonging to IU's, Hyosang explained everything bit by bit. His friends and he were pirates that were searching for anything worth selling. They wanted a spell from IU that would give him legs if he was dry and when wet his tail would appear.

 

He was to be their pretty pearl that they would show off and sell to someone who would pay a pretty penny for an exotic pet. Jin couldn't believe that Hyosang, who he trusted, had betrayed him.

 

Why was Soojin here? How could she be?

 

"I know you..." Jin scoffed. If he hadn't gotten there she would've drowned. "You're the little girl Hyosang wanted me to save."

 

Soojin swallowed, "I'm...I'm really sorry." She had tears in her eyes, "Hyosang paid me to save my Appa...He just randomly picked a little girl on the street."

 

Jin hadn't known that. Everyone did certain things for the people they loved. He would do anything for his family. Soojin had been doing the same. It still didn't answer why she was here or how she found him.

 

Jin looked away, "I'm sorry about your appa...Is he okay?"

 

Soojin frowned, "Karma follows you. I didn't make it in time to buy the right medicine...When I can back home he was gone."

 

Jin couldn't imagine his boys without one of them. Fortunately they had Namjoon. He hoped Soojin had other family who watched over her for eleven years.

 

"What are you doing here?" Jin questioned. It didn't make any sense. "How did you find this place?"

 

Soojin shrugged, "Hyosang had said this sea witch would help him get more money...People in Mikrokosmos say this is wear an isolated woman lives...As a witch I'm guessing you could only isolate yourself from society?"

 

Jin nodded in agreement, "Okay, so you found IU's place...Why are you here? Are you hoping to strike a deal with her?"

 

With a shameful face, Soojin nodded, "I...I was hoping that maybe...Maybe since she's a witch she would know how to...How to—"

 

"Bring your appa back to life?" Jin didn't need to ask. He had his answer already. "I wouldn't make any deals with IU, Soojin."

 

Soojin knitted her eyebrows in confusion, "Why? Didn't Hyosang and his friends get what they wanted? She, IU, was supposed to pay him or something?"

 

"You know I'm a merman...Hyosang wanted to sell me as a pet for some trusted wealthy person who'd pay his friends and he a pretty penny." Jin clarified.

 

Soojin crossed her arms, "Since you're here, I'm guessing Hyosang didn't hold his end of the deal?" Jin nodded. She looked around, "Where are they?"

 

"She turned them into krill," Jin replied. He witnessed the horrifying transformation. "I'm just a prisoner because..."

 

Soojin put her hands up in surrender, "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. You don't owe me anything. Honestly, I kind of do."

 

"Even if you helped me escape I wouldn't be able to return home...IU can only give me back my tail. I wouldn't be able to reunite with my family." Jin said.

 

Soojin was discouraged, "I'm sorry...I didn't know you had anyone to go back to...I wouldn't have done it if I knew you had people to leave behind."

 

Jin nodded truthfully. He didn't want to make her feel bad but it was good to talk to someone. "My husband and children is what I left behind."

 

"Husband?" Soojin asked curiously. It was as if that was so foreign to her. "You can marry your own gender in the ocean?"

 

Jin hadn't known that humans couldn't. "Y-yeah..." He was guessing males didn't get pregnant as regularly as mermen. "Do your human males...Can they be impregnated?"

 

Soojin was scandalized, "What?!" She was in awe and disbelief. "Do mermen, are you saying they can get pregnant and give birth to babies?"

 

Jin remembered all of his pregnancies. He loved his children to death but having them was not easy. His first pregnancy had been stressful but after holding his eldest son he wished to have more children. He wanted Yoongi to have siblings and Namjoon loved the idea of being a father to more children. That was how Taehyung was born a year after and then Jungkook.

 

He missed the three of them dearly.

 

"Yes, we can. I've been pregnant three times." Jin said without any shame. Clearly human men couldn't do what mermen could.

 

Soojin her lips, "Can all mermen get pregnant?"

 

Jin shook his head, "Not all. My husband doesn't have the ability but I do. A mermen couple can always ask a willing mermaid to carry their child. My husband must confirm this as an agreement so the couple can have full parental rights towards the child."

 

"Your husband sounds like an important merman." Soojin realized by the important task he has to deal with.

 

"He's the king of the ocean and his home, Atlantis," Jin enlightened her.

 

Soojin gasped, "That means you're...Wow, I helped trick a queen, the queen of the ocean?! How do you not hate me?"

 

"You didn't do this with hate, Soojin," Jin explained. He didn't blame. She was only a child at the time. "Thank you for talking with me. It being all alone in here."

 

Soojin wished she could do more, "Are you sure there's no way that I can help you? ...I feel horrible about this."

 

Jin couldn't think of a way. She couldn't force IU to give her his fin and tail back. IU would kill Soojin in an instant. Maybe if he had more company? That would be nice. He could educate Soojin more about the Merfolk. It wouldn't be horrible. He wouldn't have to wait for Namjoon all alone.

 

"Keep visiting. I enjoy your presence. You’re a good person, Soojin." Jin praised the young girl.

 

Soojin wasn't influenced, "I don't know about that...It wasn't nice of me to have you imprisoned here."

 

"It was Hyosang's, his friends' and IU's doing. Don't blame yourself. I don't, I swear." Jin promised the human girl. Soojin smiled and exited the house.

 

Not all humans are bad, Namjoon. Hyosang and his friends were deceitful but that doesn't make all of them had, Jin thought.

 

He still had a captivation for humans. Mers and they were unlike each other. Jin didn't want to be a human. Still, Jin had hope there were good humans. Hyosang just hadn't been one.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡

 

Poor Jin, he just trusted the wrong humans •́ ‿ ,•̀ 

All he wants is to get back to his family. What do you guys think about this one? Comments are loved <3