Chapter 21

The Little Merman

 

Once the sun rose to the sky and the sunlight peaked into the windows, everyone woke up. It was odd waking up in a room and on a bed that didn't belong to him. Or one that wasn't deep in the ocean. It took a few instants for Jungkook to recollect all of his previous memories. He made a deal with IU. He got his legs. He met Jimin. Now he was Jimin's guest.

 

Jungkook couldn't resist the blush that appeared on his cheeks. Not only was he in Jimin's home, but after dinner he agreed to go on a tour with Jimin in Mikrokosmos. He was honored to see more of what humans did but he would be with Jimin all day. There was so much that was to be done today. It was the second day and he had until sunset tomorrow to have Jimin kiss him. The thought of Jimin's lips on his made him blush harder and nearly faint.

 

It was about two minutes after he woke up when Jeonghee barged into his room with a box with a ribbon on top. She babbled about how she had another great outfit for him to wear today on his tour. Jungkook believed her and wondered what was in the box. Perhaps Jimin would like it as much as he liked yesterday's outfit?

 

Jeonghee removed the ribbon and lid from the box and picked up the pieces or clothing from inside. There was a simple cotton light grey shirt and black trousers. 

Kindly and patiently Jeonghee helped him into his clothes. Jungkook tried to think positive and had faith that Jimin would think he appeared desirable. He prayed to Poseidon the prince of his dreams was attracted to him.

 

Sungwoon was waiting in the dining room when Jungkook arrived. He searched for Jimin. He would he attending breakfast too, wouldn't he?

 

"I suppose you're looking for Jimin," Sungwoon interrupted while Jungkook sat down in the same chair from last night. "He's having a serious talk with his father, the King Hyoshin at the moment."

 

Jungkook winced. That couldn't be a good talk and he didn't need to be present to know that. Sungwoon could tell he was well aware of that.

 

"Don't worry, Jimin will still be attending the tour," Sungwoon assured Jungkook. He sent Jungkook a smirk, "I gave him this idea...You see, Jimin has a hobby of singing."

 

Jungkook's eyes widened in amazement. There were humans that loved to sing and the fact that his human did was all the better. The reality of Jimin composing something for him was delightful to ponder on. He couldn't wait to tell Jaehyun, Hoseok and Jackson know — well, he'd try his best to let them know that Jimin liked to sing.

 

He was curious to hear the sound of Jimin's voice. His beloved heard what he sounded like, though he didn't know, it was fair that he knew what kind of voice Jimin had. Jungkook was excited.

 

Sungwoon could see Jungkook brightened, "I suggested that he give you a private concert."

 

Jungkook bounced in his seat and nodded vigorously. It sounded like the best idea he had heard! He was going to hear Jimin sing something him all to himself.

 

"You're happy about that? That's...That's good, he'll be glad but embarrassed." Sungwoon explained. He whispered, "Just as a warning, Jimin has an amazing voice."

 

Jungkook was convinced. He could only wonder what Jimin sounded like. He couldn't wait. The anticipation was eating at him by the second!

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

This lecture was like any other he heard recently. They never strayed away from the main objective: why he wasn't married. Jimin once believed that princes were crowned kings at eighteen. He had just turned seventeen so there was still one more year to go. Hyoshin changed it specifically for his only son. The king altered the age because Jimin hadn't agreed to any of the offers.

 

From the day he turned fifteen his parents sent him to all sorts of kingdoms to meet princesses that he got to choose if he'd marry. At first it was no big deal that he rejected the offers in the first year. Hyoshin and his wife, Sejeong, thought that their son just hadn't found his potential wife yet. It felt like Jimin put no effort since there was not even a girl, princess or not, that captivated him.

 

Jimin wasn't stupid. His parents were growing tired and soon enough they would just be arranging their son's marriage if he didn't find someone before his eighteenth birthday when he was going to be crowned king of Mikrokosmos. They didn't know that he had no interest in marrying whatever girl they threw at him. Jimin never said such things though.

 

"You can't keep playing this game, Jimin," Hyoshin declared in the throne room. Sejeong was sitting beside her husband, staring at their son. Hyoshin continued, "You need to pick a girl to marry soon!"

 

Sejeong chimed in, "Dear, by now boys your age already have a girl they fancy. Are the girls you've met repulsive?"

 

Not necessarily the girls, but their gender, Jimin thought. "I haven't...I haven’t found the right one yet, Umma. Is it that hard to believe?"

 

Hyoshin ridiculed, "What do you wish to do? Sail around the world until you find the right girl?"

 

Jimin bit back what he really wanted to say. "I thought I got a say in this. You let me reject the previous girls. I can't do so until I find the right one?"

 

"This is getting ridiculous, Jimin," Hyoshin overlooked his son's words. "Most princes have arranged marriages. I stepped away from tradition since I believed you could complete this simple task."

 

Jimin disagreed, "Finding the person you're to live the rest of your life with isn't as easy as getting dressed. This girl will be my wife, mother of my children...I have to be smart about this."

 

Hyoshin eyed Jimin questionably, "Sometimes it feels like you don't try hard enough. Do you need to not see your friends for you to understand the gravity of this?"

 

Jimin paled. He loved his friends. He hadn't even told Sungwoon about his attraction towards males. Sungwoon wouldn't judge and none of his other friends would but he had kept this secret to himself for so long. He didn't know what would become of him if his parents found out. Would they threaten him? What was he supposed to do?

 

He was stuck in a puddle of mud. He couldn't get out of the situation he was in. Jimin didn't want to marry a girl nor have babies with her. He wanted to find the boy who saved him. Regardless how much Jimin loved children; he would sacrifice that desire if it meant he got to love the male that made him want to live.

 

"My friends aren't to blame for me not finding the perfect girl out of the millions in the world," Jimin retorted bitterly.

 

Hyoshin gripped the armrests of the throne, "You need to start taking this seriously, Jimin. For now I'll let you keep searching. If you don't have a girl before you turn eighteen you'll have a wedding arranged for you." The prince was dismissed.

 

Jimin felt his mouth go dry as he exited the castle. He had eaten early though he would've preferred to eat with Sungwoon and the red haired boy — whose name he still didn't need to know. He planned to ask him his name during the rowboat trip.

 

It was luckless but Jimin knew that he would either be choosing his freedom over his family. Was it even worth losing it all? He didn't hate his family. They wanted him to live a life he didn't want but every royal was born and raised into that lifestyle. Could he really blame them?

 

For now he would keep those thoughts out of his head. He was going to spend the day with the pretty red head. Plus he would he singing for him. Jimin wished he could sing to his savior but he would have to wait until that moment.

 

Little did he know that the pretty red head was his savior without his mellifluous voice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

くコ:彡   くコ:彡    くコ:彡

 

Here's Kookie's outfit: