Chapter 17

The Little Merman

 

On the beach close to the castle of Mikrokosmos, Prince Jimin sat on a rock while Chimmy was pestering a crawling red crab. The seventeen year old kept coming to the beach as he searched for the male who had saved him. He used any of his spare time looking around, expecting someone to show up and announce that they were the one who prevented him from drowning. Jimin would ask them to sing and once more, the beautiful voice would fill his heart.

 

Life had become straining as it had before his seventeenth birthday. It was the same dispute. His father, King Hyoshin, clamored him to agree to receive one of the many marriage offers from princesses. Princess Seulgi of Zimzalabim had been the fifteenth, his mother, Queen Sejeong, had kept count. His mother wasn't even willing to help as it was a prince's nature to pick a princess, marry her, reign the kingdom and produce an heir to continue the Park bloodline.

 

Unbeknown to his parents and friends, Jimin would not ever envisage finding the female body to be as pretty as a picture. No offense to women, Jimin just couldn't imagine himself in a relationship with any. He discovered his predicament in his adolescent period. Some painters had come to the castle with their models who happened to be young males. Jimin had watched and realized he didn't want to be with a female no matter how much he was pressured.

 

He had kept it to himself, never daring to make this information known. His family would disown him; he would he a joke to society. People attracted to the same gender were ridiculed and treated with impertinence. Jimin commiserated with those who had publicized their preferences. Unveiling the gender he favored was a risk; he was uncertain whether he wanted to take such a leap.

 

Jimin's anxiety of anyone accepting him had hit the floor when he was saved by the male stranger with the euphonious voice. He set his heart on finding the male; he yearned to know who this perplexing person. All he had to go by was the sound and the song the male had sung.

 

Take my hands now,

You are the cause of my euphoria.

 

Jimin sang soothingly. He eyeballed the the big waves crashing onto the rocks and sand. Chimmy got wet and scampered towards him.

 

"I can't get that voice out of my head," glowering, he Chimmy's white fur. He breathed out, "I've looked everywhere, Chims. Where could he be?"

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

When Jungkook's red tail turned into human legs, Hoseok and Jackson swam all the way up. Gratefully they had gotten him at the surface in time. As a mer you're an excellent swimmer. However Jungkook was no longer a mer. He wasn't really a human either. In all aspects he was a freak of nature. He was born half fish but now had legs instead of a tail and fin. He had done it all for a reason though.

 

On the other side of the rocks, far from where Prince Jimin and Chimmy were, Jungkook was washed up. In exhaustion, Jackson and Hoseok breathed heavily as they remained in the water. Their main concern was getting Jungkook on land. He wasn't as great as a swimmer anymore due to the transformation. They would all be regulating to this new circumstance of theirs.

 

Jungkook gazed upon his legs and was left aghast. He had human legs! He could walk freely on land. If so wished he could go to Jimin without worrying about him figuring out that he's not a human. On the face of it, things were working out splendidly. Now he just needed to find his prince and work on having him fall in love with him.

 

"Look at what the catfish dragged in!" Jungkook spun around to see Jaehyun landing next to him from above. "There's something different about you, Jungkookie, hmm...I can't tell though?" Jaehyun inspected his friend.

 

Jungkook giggled, finding it odd that no noise came out like he was used to. IU was absolutely incorrect about his voice being "something that he won't miss." He had given up his voice for Jimin though, he reminded himself incessantly.

 

Furiously, Jackson shouted, "He's got legs, birdbrain! LEGS! He traded his voice to the sea witch for HUMAN legs!"

 

Jaehyun laughed dryly, "I knew that."

 

"Kookie has been turned into a human, Jaehyun. He's got to make the prince fall in love with him and kiss him." Hoseok explained.

 

Jackson threw his hands on the sand in exasperation. "And he's only got three days to do it. Look at him! A mer with human legs. This is madness!" He pulled at his hair, "What would Namjoon say? I should head back to Atlantis and tell—"

 

Jungkook placed a hand on Jackson's shoulder and gave him a little smile. His innocent dark sparkling doe eyes swayed anyone.

 

Jackson said threateningly, "Don't look at me like that, Jungkook...Ugh, maybe we can get back your voice, hmm? Live a miserable, life." Tears filled Jungkook's eyes and he thought about his collection being destroyed. "Damn. I'm becoming soft."

 

"If you want to be human, Kookie, you got to dress like one, you hear me?" Jaehyun asked. Jungkook nodded rapidly smiling radiantly.

 

Hoseok gazed at Jaehyun confusingly, "How are we going to dress him as a human?"

 

Jaehyun rubbed his chin, "Hmm..." An idea popped in his head. "I got an idea! I'll be back, wait here!" The young man morphed into a white swan and flew off.

 

"Where do you think he flew off to?" Hoseok inquired with interest and curiosity.

 

Jackson only looked ahead for the disasters Jungkook's friends would start, Jaehyun being no exception. He considered Jaehyun to be worse than Hoseok. If only Namjoon would meet the bird man. He would lose his head.

 

"Up to no good," Jackson would've rolled his eyes just by thinking of where Jaehyun had flown to. He got no chance since the young mer prince, who formerly had a tail and now legs, was trying to stand up at a leisurely pace.

 

Hoseok observed Jungkook's attempts too. One moment Jungkook was standing, smiling nonchalantly, until he took a step and his legs wobbled uncontrollably. In the end Jungkook fell down forward, his mouth filling up with familiar salt water. While Jackson shrieked, Jungkook pushed his drenched red strands of hair out of his face.

 

Jackson facepalmed, "HOW exactly is he supposed to get a human to fall for him when he can't even walk?!"

 

"Dang, all you do is fret!" The three spun their heads to see Jaehyun in his human form, his wings put away. In his hands was a black type of clothing.

 

Jackson suspected what was in Jaehyun's hands, "What is that?"

 

"These are what humans call trousers, drama king," Jaehyun retorted. Jackson gave him a death glare. Jaehyun eyed Jungkook, "Trust me, Kookie, I know what to do."

 

Jackson scoffed, "Oh do you now?"

 

Jaehyun nodded in self-assurance, he motioned his own legs, "I'm a pro."

 

"Can you teach Kookie how to walk?" Hoseok asked with hope.

 

"I sure can! In the land of humans, you can't prance around , so here," Jaehyun passed the trousers to Jungkook who put his arms through the sleeves. Jaehyun sniggered, "Not like that, buddy."

 

It was as if Jungkook's eyes were saying so why don't you it explain to me. Jaehyun got the signal.

 

"You put them through your legs and there's a button at the middle to put through a hole so they won't fall off," Jaehyun enlightened his friend.

 

Jackson couldn't comprehend trousers, "Humans would live happily if they were born with a fin and tail like us Merfolk. That trouser looks to be troubling."

 

Hoseok wondered aloud, "What'll happen if he doesn't wear them?"

 

Jaehyun was frightened of that thought, "Kookie would be for sure. He's got the face, exotic hair, body and even his legs are nice for a human."

 

Jackson tilted his head, "Do you deliberately look at people's legs?"

 

"No, but from what I've seen Kookie's aren't bad. The human prince should be crazy over them soon enough," Jaehyun explained. He rotated to see Jungkook dressed in the trousers. "You look perfect!"

 

Jackson disagreed, "No. He looks ridiculous. Mers aren't meant for this form of unnatural nature."

 

"Can you stand, Kookie?" Hoseok was more concerned for his friend than Jackson's opinion. "Help him, Jaehyun, please."

 

Jaehyun replied by grabbing Jungkook's hands and steadily pulling the other male up on his feet. Jaehyun studied the prince. Some humans were into wet hair, the human prince might be. Jungkook also happened to be half which should be a treat for Jungkook's intended. Jaehyun couldn't imagine his friend like that but how could anyone resist? Jungkook's human prince would be falling head over heels for him in seconds.

 

"Slowly, move one foot at a time when walking. No walking fast because it looks weird. People don't like peculiar things." Jaehyun taught Jungkook.

 

Jackson retorted, "Pfft! Isn't it odd enough of his red hair? He's going to be the laughing stock."

 

"Have a little faith," Jaehyun guaranteed the male. As instructed, Jungkook moved his feet one at a time, but waveringly. "Good!"

 

Jackson rumbled, "It looks like he's about to fall again!"

 

Jaehyun smirked, "The other prince can carry him then. Won't that be romantic?" He wriggled his eyebrows at Jungkook, "Wouldn't you like that, Kookie?" Jungkook's cheeks went crimson.

 

This would be the beginning of Jungkook's effort to make Jimin fall in love with him. He had gotten here. Now he needed Jimin's love. And then they could live their happily ever after.