Chapter 35

The Little Merman

 

✯✯✯

4 Weeks Later

 

 

 

 

 

No mer was lying when they said being away from your life mate was something no mer could handle. Jungkook was hardcore proof of that statement. No one expected the youngest prince to be dandy about the situation or even a few days after. Not everyone could comprehend the heartache Jungkook bore except they themselves had lost their life mates – that’s precisely what it felt like. The pain was agonizing and there was no cure for it.

 

Some mers tried to look for other ways to continue but most of the time they didn’t. They became hermits or refused to take care of themselves which the latter regularly resulted in death. The good thing about Jungkook being a prince was that he always had someone watching him – either a family member or Hoseok. He was never alone unless he was in his room or demanding for time by himself which was rare. It’s recommended that mers like Jungkook are surrounded by family and friends it comforted them rather than annoyed them.

 

Four weeks passed since Jin’s and Jungkook’s return as well as the demise of IU. The death of the sea witch brought relief to the Merfolk – not that congratulating anyone’s death was good, but they slept safely knowing the terrifying woman would never be someone they worried about encountering since she was gone.

 

Majority of the Merfolk were confused yet mainly delighted knowing Jin was alive. Afterwards Namjoon confirmed that IU trapped Jin on land and that he hadn’t asked the sea witch to give him legs – something Namjoon made it important to clarify. Moonbyul was overjoyed to see her friend alive and the two friends rejoiced after being away from each other for so long. Moonbyul and Solar even introduced Jin to their son, Seungcheol.

 

More good news was brought when Taehyung properly introduced Hoseok to Jin. Of course Jin knew who the green tailed merman was since he was the one who helped take down IU. Jin thanked Hoseok for his assistance and began addressing him as his son-in-law although Hoseok told Taehyung he wanted to enjoy them being together before they had to start planning a wedding. Taehyung kept the green seashell ring somewhere safe for when it was time for the second proposal.

 

With Jin back it didn’t take long for everyone to adjust. Moonbyul and Jackson got used to speaking to him again since they had only talked to Namjoon for eleven years. The queen’s throne was finally occupied. There were no more mers trying to catch Namjoon’s attention since the king only answered to Jin.

 

It was different for Namjoon and the boys to get used to it though. Whenever Namjoon woke up early, he forgot the bed wasn't cold or empty anymore - Jin was there and would never leave. Jin sometimes forgot he wasn't in the cold cell IU put him in on Mikrokosmos. There were five family members at meals instead of four. It wasn't only Namjoon in conversations within the family but Jin included. It was different but a good change.

 

Four weeks passed and adjustments were made and Jungkook was still the sulking mess. Granted no one could judge him since he wasn't with his life mate. Jungkook's dilemma didn't vex his family but they felt horrible that they couldn't do anything to put a smile on the mer's face.

 

"How about red or pink?" A jeweler, Jung Eunha, asked as she brought two bracelets to Hoseok's right wrist. 

 

It had been Jin's idea to drag Jungkook into helping Hoseok pick out a nice bracelet for the concert that was postponed. Jungkook opted out of the celebration due to his grief. If his youngest son wanted to not sing, Jin wouldn't let him stay hauled up in his room. As a distraction, Jin thought bringing Jungkook would be better than letting his son mope on his own. 

 

Mers who were without their life mate needed family and friends.

 

Jin disapproved of the bracelets by the look on his face. "No, I think green brings out his eyes." He eyed the green seashell ring on Hoseok's right ring finger.

 

Hoseok giggled.

 

It had been last week when Taehyung proposed and promised to live him until the end of their days. Of course, like the first time, Hoseok accepted and now he was engaged. There was no wedding date set since the couple begged to have time together as an engaged couple before dealing with planning for the wedding. Namjoon and Jin understood completely - weddings are large celebrations that took time and patience to plan out.

 

Eunha put away the two bracelets before taking one out with little green seashells and black cowries. Jin nodded in approval and Eunha began complimenting how Hoseok looked magnificent with the piece of jewelry.

 

Jin spun his head to look at Jungkook who was staring off into the distance with despair. 

 

"Kookie, you don't want a piece of jewelry for the concert?" Jin didn't expect to get an answer but he wasn't going to stop talking to Jungkook because his son didn't respond back.

 

Sometimes the red tailed merman did and sometimes he didn't. This time he did.

 

"I'm not going so I don't see why," Jungkook mumbled not so quietly. Eunha rose her head in interest.

 

Eunha spoke enthusiastically, "You should, Prince Jungkook! It's going to be so fun! Singing and-"

 

Jin didn't want to be rude to the mermaid but he didn't want Jungkook to snap at her either - he would. He cleared his throat and sent the female a sweet smile.

 

"Eunha, do you have any cockle shell necklaces?" The mermaid nodded. Jin gestured at Hoseok, "Hoseok might be interested, why don't you show him what you got?" 

 

Eunha grabbed the new necklaces she had and showed them to Hoseok. With one look the blonde merman knew what Jin was doing and followed along. 

 

Jungkook lifted his head to look at the ceiling, "Can I be excused, Umma?" 

 

Jin frowned, "Are you sure you don't want to attend the concert? You might enjoy it." 

 

Jungkook groaned, "I don't want to ever sing again." 

 

"No one says you have to sing, Kookie," Jin stopped for a moment. He didn't want to force Jungkook to go but it would be good for him. "Yoongs prepared a song and I think we should support your hyung."

 

Rather than agreeing to going or not, Jungkook got up from where he sat and swam out of the room. Jin sighed sadly. He wasn't losing patience he was just running out of ways to cheer his baby up. As a mother all he wanted was the best for his children. One of his babies wasn't doing good at all. 

 

This couldn't continue for sure. He swore to Poseidon that he would discuss it with Namjoon. Jin feared for the possibility of Jungkook not being able to last any longer.

 

 

                     ✯✯✯

 

 

Things seemed to be going perfect. One would believe there was nothing wrong. Yoongi could correct them and say not everything was as picture perfect as it might seem. 

 

His parents were as loving and affectionate as he remembered them to be. Taehyung and Hoseok were like young teens in love sneaking kisses and blushing whenever they touched. Yoongi himself was fine but then there was Jungkook who was far from it. 

 

Knowing about Merfolk and the importance of life mates, Yoongi believed the pain was unbearable. He wouldn't want to wish it on anyone. He despised the fact that out of the millions of Merfolk it had to be his baby brother that dealt with this. Why couldn't Jimin be one of Poseidon's children? Why did he have to be born a human? 

 

It was dinner time and it was going like it had been for the past four weeks. No one wanted to be too loud or quiet for Jungkook's sake. Of course they all talked about their days excluding Jungkook since he remained silent. They were thankful that Jungkook was eating though. One of the healers told them that Jungkook was surprisingly doing better than most - majority of the mers without their life mates would've stopped eating by the second week there were those exceptions though.

 

"Have you thought about a date for the wedding yet?" Namjoon interrogated Taehyung and Hoseok with a teasing smile. The two mers blushed madly.

 

Taehyung was the one to answer, "A-Appa, we still want to enjoy our time as an engaged couple, that's all." 

 

Jin asked with a smirk, "Not going to tie the knot as quick as your appa and I did?" 

 

"I'm seventeen and Hobi is eighteen, about the same time you two married!"  Taehyung whined. 

 

"You two have only been engaged for four weeks. How long do you plan on extending the engagement?" Yoongi stopped eating and eyed the couple.

 

Hoseok shrugged, "We're still unsure about that, Yoongi-hyung. We definitely aren't waiting two years." 

"Maybe in a couple of months?" Taehyung suggested as he rotated to face Hoseok. His beloved nodded at the time length. 

 

Namjoon nodded in satisfaction, "It's going to be nice to see one of my sons married. You three grew up too fast."

 

Jin began retelling a story about when Taehyung was little. The blue haired prince whined while Hoseok was interested. Namjoon and Yoongi kept their eyes on Jungkook who left his food untouched

 

Yoongi sent his father a look that said we have to do something fast and Namjoon's nod meant he agreed. Neither mermen brought up Jungkook's lack of hunger since they didn't want to upset the younger mer. 

 

After dinner finished Yoongi followed Jungkook to his chambers. More than likely their parents would be having a talk but Yoongi wanted to chat with Jungkook. He doubted there was anything motivating he could tell him. Yoongi had no practice in relationships so he couldn't really cheer Jungkook that it would get better.

 

Yoongi didn't know if it would. Jungkook explained to them that had told Jimin he had to make a decision - his family or his freedom. Jungkook told Jimin to forget about him and fall in love if it meant he got to be free and happy. For all they knew Jimin might've done so and was with some other male.

 

The eldest prince was frightened of the possibilities. He didn't want to think of Jungkook dying but he knew as time went by his baby brother would only get weaker and less social. He wouldn't want to get out if his room, hang out or eat. He would die. Yoongi didn't want that but he had to accept that it was a likelihood - one that needed to be prevented. 

 

He entered Jungkook's chambers and found his baby brother lying on his bed in a fetal position. It saddened him to see Jungkook like this. The last time any of them had seen the youngest this disheartened was after their father told them about their mother’s “fake” death. Hoseok was a big help since he was the one who showed Jungkook there was more to life. It wasn’t the same this time. Showing life to someone who was gradually dying inside wouldn’t be easy. Jungkook had family and friends but Yoongi knew that wouldn’t do a thing. His brother didn’t eat his dinner this time – there’d more than likely be a repeat of this if something wasn’t done.

 

Yoongi sat next to his brother and consolingly Jungkook’s arms. The eldest was aware he wasn’t too expressive with his emotions though he had them like everybody else. Most of the time people thought he was just lethargic (though he loved his sleep) but when it came to family and close friends he truly cared. He was concerned for Jungkook and he felt hopeless that he couldn’t do anything. Soothing words and touches wouldn’t comfort his brother like when they found out their mother died.

 

As the eldest of the three of them Yoongi had taken it upon himself to watch over his siblings. Whenever he saw them brooding he would pull them into a hug. If they cried he’d wipe their tearstained cheeks. Realizing his brothers were in love he was pleased with how things were turning out. If they both found the ones they wished to spend the rest of their lives with he wouldn’t ever have to see them devastated again – it broke his heart to see them that way. It wasn’t long until they were back to square one where no one was happy. He was partially at fault for Taehyung and Hoseok then Jungkook fell in love with a human.

This family is far from normal, Yoongi thought whenever he considered all of the events that occurred. He wondered how they were all still sane.

 

The older was dragged out of his thoughts when he felt Jungkook’s body tremble and heard sobs. It may be strange having their mother back but it was still taking Yoongi to get used to Jungkook’s melancholy state. None of them should since this wasn’t how the young mer was supposed to be.

 

“There’s nothing I can do or say that’ll put you in good spirits,” Yoongi remembered this feeling years ago. He had no power to bring back their mother or to put Jimin under the sea. “All I can ask is for you to hang in there, Kookie.”

 

Jungkook’s voice was hoarse, “Why?” Yoongi knew he’d cry if his brother were to look at him. “What is there to hang for?”

 

Our family, your friends, Yoongi wanted to say. It wasn’t about them though – this had to do with Jungkook alone. They would never comprehend Jungkook’s aching thus they couldn’t blame Jungkook if he submitted to the battle. Yoongi speculated about something concerning Jimin. He made a mental note inside his head to mention it to his parents.

 

In the end there were no words. He couldn’t tell Jungkook things would get better or that someday he’d find another. Yoongi saw the difference between his parents’ situation and Jungkook. Namjoon and Jin communicated with each other so it’s not like they never saw each other. If Jin had truly died, Namjoon had their children – a part of his life mate with him. Jungkook didn’t have anything of Jimin so it was worst in his case.

 

“Just…Wait a little longer, that’s all,” Yoongi’s eyes were blurring with tears. He felt movement and when he turned he saw Jungkook looking at him with his puffy red eyes. Yoongi couldn’t control his tears as they fell. “I’m sorry, Kookie, I’m sorry that there’s nothing we can do.”

 

Jungkook looked down, his sobs hard, “It’s…It’s not your fault, hyung…It’s no one’s…” his brotherly instinct kicked in and Yoongi embraced his baby brother closely. Jungkook wept, “We’re…We’re just not meant to be.”

 

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

Namjoon promised he would consider Jungkook’s situation and he had ever since his husband and son returned to Atlantis. He took his time thinking nothing would come of the waiting – he was wrong. The healer saying that Jungkook was in a better shape than majority of the mers without their mates brought hope. This faith they all clung to was fading away as more days went by. Namjoon could tell and dinner was proof when Yoongi and he caught Jungkook not eating.

 

Jin and he hadn’t joined together and talked over their younger son’s predicament. All the adjustments had stalled that chat but now it was crystal clear that it was time.

 

As they lay in their bed together, Namjoon back hugged his husband, “Jinnie, we should talk about Kookie. I think it’s time.”

 

Jin grinned, “You were contemplating beforehand?”

 

“Yes but certain events preoccupied me,” Namjoon referred to his husband’s return. It was a grave conversation they should have. “Kookie didn’t eat dinner today.”

 

His maternal instincts kicking in, Jin detached Namjoon’s arms and freaked out. It was only natural that Jin responded this way.

 

“Why didn’t you mention it, Joon?” Jin asked his husband in discontentment. Don’t mess with Umma Jin, Namjoon thought with an amused grin.

 

Namjoon rose from where he lay to so he could look Jin directly into his eyes. He seized Jin’s hands to hold them in assurance, “I didn’t want to upset him. He’s distancing himself from us enough as it is. I had an epiphany when Jungkook came back.” Both mers laughed at the reference.

 

“What did you realize, Joonie?”

 

Namjoon recollected what Jackson and Hoseok told him about Jimin and Soojin’s aid. “I’ll quote you on this, not all humans are bad and that was proven four weeks ago.”

 

Jin was glad to hear Namjoon’s statement. He waited for his husband to agree with him after so long. Being smallminded did no one good. There were bad and good people everywhere whether it being creatures from the land or sea.

 

Still it didn’t solve their problem at hand. Namjoon became conscious of this and accepted it – what good does that do?

 

“Okay, I’m happy that you think this way, Joonie, but how does this help Kookie?” Namjoon could always apologize for not understanding Jungkook’s fascination with humans though Jin believed his husband had done that long ago.

 

Namjoon eyed their intertwined hands, “Humans will never accept their love. There’ll always be those against them. They can never have children together. I don’t know if I can do that to Kookie.”

 

It doesn’t sound like a good life, Jin thought with a frown. But there was a reason his husband was bringing this up. “I wouldn’t be able to do that to either of our sons too…So what do we do?”

 

Namjoon looked into his husband’s and turned back to gaze upon the golden trident. There was only one thing he could think of.

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

The fragrance of wine and the sound of laughter and shouting were easy to grow accustomed to. If he had never been in the tavern it might’ve been problematic – he continuously went to see his friends so he was used to it. There were some modifications this time around and would be like that permanently. His changes in life weren’t anything he nitpicked about though. There was a reason Jimin was doing this. He made his decision and he was taking it like a champ – at least that’s what his friends said.

 

WANT was his home now and his family was his dear friends plus Chimmy. After Jimin rejected the life he had been living for so long he was disowned and his spot was taken by a distant cousin of his he met probably three times at the most. His friends took him in and they were more than pleased to do so. Moonkyu whined about how he missed so much due to his last minute journey.

 

Being born with royal blood wasn’t all about the ample amount of gold and outfits so Jimin didn’t miss much. Jeonghee was a good friend but the woman was busy with the new king. There were no more high expectations and demands he had to follow. He could live free and happy just like how Jungkook wanted.

 

Perceptibly the only thing he longed for was the red haired merman. He didn’t anticipate for how much he’d desire for Jungkook. He wasn’t dying yet it felt like it. His friends and Chimmy kept him content but Jimin had misgivings that’d last forever.

 

Whenever he had time to himself he would run to the beach. He wouldn’t call for Jungkook’s name like he had in the first week. As a replacement for screaming out the boy’s name, he sung Serendipity. Sometimes he’d even perform a waltz and visualize Jungkook was there with him dancing on the sand. It was nothing like when he did dance with the red haired boy – the real thing was dreamlike and indescribable.

 

Even though it was torment Jimin couldn’t end his fantasies. It was human of him to daydream of how he sought his life to be. After the song and waltz he’d stay on the beach a while longer. He waited for Jungkook to show up though he knew that wasn’t likely to happen. The last time he saw the beautiful creature would truly be the last time. Jimin could never forget the rich voice, the innocent deer eyes or the vibrant toothy smile.

 

His friends suggested that he look for someone else since they all came to terms that Jungkook wasn’t returning. It was no secret that they intentionally directed pretty men his way. Each and every one of them shared the same flaw: they weren’t Jungkook. His soulmate wanted him to find someone else to love but that’d be the only command he’d never carry out. It wasn’t feasible.

 

Neon nae pureun gompangi

Nal guwonhaejun naui cheonsa naui sesang

Nan ne samsaek goyangi neol mannareo on

Love me now

Touch me now

 

Jimin sang passionately as he stood in the water. He started off singing on the sand but as the weeks passed he got closer to the ocean. It was drawing his heart towards it because it knew the one he loved was somewhere in the depths of the deep blue. He would never make it that far for that reason his attempt would be wasted.

 

He was a human but like Jungkook he couldn’t move on. Even with his freedom he couldn’t do everything he wanted just like before. He could love whoever but the one who held his heart he couldn’t be with. Jimin felt like he was the prince, to-be king, of Mikrokosmos – trapped with no way out. Once again he was searching his savior just to pop up at the beach. Their last moment together had been Jungkook’s farewell to him.

 

Another would try to find someone else but he couldn’t. Jungkook wasn’t some plaything though. Jimin had told his friends that he believed his savior, Jungkook, to be his soulmate. If the merman could never love anyone else so could he. Jimin didn’t want to. From the moment Jungkook saved him they belonged to each other. As painful as it was, Jimin would handle it. In some way it felt like Jungkook had died. He hadn’t abandoned him; he just saved them the pain from a complicated life.

 

Let me love, let me love you

Let me love, let me love you

 

“I’m guessing that’s for a particular red haired merman?” Jimin stiffened when he heard those words. The male’s voice was not one he knew but obviously they knew who Jungkook was meaning they were someone important.

 

Jimin swallowed and spun around to see two males rather than one. There was a peculiar aura that emitted from them. Both were dressed in black from head to toe though they were barefoot. For wearing the same color and being around the same height they looked nothing alike. The easiest way to tell them a part was that one was feminine and the other without any ounce of femininity.

 

He would think a male with feminism would be reliable but Jimin was uncertain. The feminine male was a beauty for certain. He was broad-shouldered, long-limbed and held his head high. His facial features were unlike what he’s ever eyed upon before (oddly it reminded him of Jungkook). The pretty male had unblemished pale skin, hair as black as the night sky, red plump lips and dark eyes that were beyond innocent and mysterious.

 

Then there was the other male who was a good example of masculinity. Jimin would imagine the man to fit the perfect description of a king. The second male had lightly tanned skin, dark eyes that would notify anyone he’s not messing around and big light pink lips. A feature of his that completely stood out were his silver locks – it made him think about Jungkook’s red hair. No human had hair that wasn’t black or brown. The other significant thing about this man was the golden trident he held in his left hand.

 

The last person to have that trident was the sea witch that had been trying to kill Jungkook and him weeks ago. Jimin assumed this man was the rightful owner of the trident.

 

“Um…” Jimin couldn’t think of anything to say to the unknown men. He chuckled nervously, “Forgive me for asking, but…Who are you?”

 

The feminine one smiled which convinced Jimin he was a kind soul. He turned to the other man, “He’s unaware of our identities, Joon. We should tell him.”

 

Jimin gulped when he saw the second man’s eyes narrow at him. It was an intense stare that would cause anyone to believe that the man would kill you right on the spot. He didn’t know whether he should run or stay but his legs were frozen in place.

 

“I’m Namjoon, king of the ocean,” the second man introduced himself and then gestured at the feminine male beside him, “This is my husband, Jin, queen of the ocean. We’re the parents of Jungkook.”

 

Jimin’s eyes widened at the fact. He didn’t think he’d meet any other mer-people but that seemed to not be it. Meeting the king and queen of the ocean was definitely not on his to-do list either so there were a bunch of surprises in store for him today – even one that’d change the rest of his life. No wonder they knew who Jungkook was and why they were nothing like humans.

 

Abruptly he felt out of place. He was meeting the parents of the one he loved. Jungkook also forgot to mention that he was a prince. Jimin found it kind of humorous – two princes from two different worlds falling in love with each other. It wasn’t that laughable when understanding it . However Jimin was no longer royalty so he felt he had to bow. When he was about to, Jin stopped him.

 

“No need for such formalities, Jimin.” Jin advised the human. His smile remained on his face which comforted Jimin, “We wish no harm, just to talk civilly.”

 

Jimin felt his mouth go dry. What could they possibly want to talk to them about? He expected it had to do with Jungkook. If they were going to try to intimidate him it was pointless. It’s not like they could see each other.

 

“Jungkook told you that he fell in love with you. Tell me, Jimin, do you truly feel the same for my son?” Namjoon was the first to bring up an important topic.

 

The question wasn’t hard to answer. Jimin had his answer to that. Since the moment Jungkook saved him he knew he loved him. He couldn’t even say it was just his voice, face or body he loved about the red haired boy. Jungkook, from the inside, had a beautiful soul, and Jimin realized he was more in love with him. There was no one else in any world for him.

 

“I do love Jungkook. Every second of the day I think about him. I’ve longed for him ever since the last time we saw each other. I know he’s my soulmate.” Jimin responded to Namjoon’s answer.

 

Jin was overwhelmed by Jimin’s words. He eyes glowed with hope, “Joon, do you hear this? This is good news! Why must we wait? Kookie will be in high spirits.”

 

Namjoon laid his other hand on Jin’s shoulder, “Not yet, Jin.” The king of the ocean remembered Jungkook had given Jimin a choice before leaving. “Tell me, Prince Jimin, when Jungkook told you to decide, what path did you take?”

 

Jimin felt the need to correct the king. The citizens in Mikrokosmos now and again referred to him as the prince and he had to make it clear that title wasn’t his anymore. He didn’t miss his old position either. He was a brand new person – just Park Jimin, no prince or to-be king.

 

“Um, I’m not a prince anymore, Your Majesty,” Jimin informed the royals. They were bewildered by his reply. He answered Namjoon’s question, “Jungkook asked me to live a good life where I had my freedom – to not be a prisoner. I don’t miss my old life. I’m just Jimin.”

 

It was clear to both Namjoon and Jin of the decision the former prince had made. They didn’t expect Jimin to have decided this route. Even Jin wondered if Jimin would be able to wait for Jungkook. It had been his heart song to Jungkook that they had heard moments ago. Jimin did really love their son.

 

Now that they had confirmed that, there was one more important matter.

 

“Our son tried to be a part of your world because he loves you,” Jin began as he took a few steps forward. Jimin saw the trident glow. Jin asked, “You love him just as much. Now the question is would you want to be a part of his world?”

 

Jin’s words echoed in his head but it took a few minutes for Jimin to understand what the queen of the ocean was asking. He considered his future and what he would be leaving behind – there wasn’t much. His friends knew about the Merfolk since they had witnessed what happened on the wedding boat. He could always visit them.

 

After a few seconds it didn’t take Jimin long to have an answer.

 

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

 

When he used to have nightmares his mother used to lay his head on her lap and would his blonde locks. Hoseok was doing the same for his best friend. As his fingers combed gently through Jungkook’s red strands of hair, Hoseok hummed Blue Side. He was happy Jungkook hadn’t protested to any visitors. The only reason the red haired mer allowed him in was because they were best friends and going to be family soon enough.

 

This moment reminded Hoseok of the day he met Jungkook. The boy had been so young to have lost his mother and Hoseok wanted to make him smile. At first Jungkook didn’t buy “think on the bright side” and insisted that there was no reason to continue if his mother wasn’t present. Hoseok proved his friend wrong and showed him that there was more.

 

Hoseok felt happier when Jungkook saw the beauty in life. It took him a few days to realize it wouldn’t be the same this time around. Jungkook was in far worst state than he had been eleven years ago.

 

Taehyung was with Yoongi at the moment with Jackson and Moonbyul. They both agreed they would wait a few months until they began any wedding planning. Hoseok knew when the time came around to plan the event it wouldn't be stress-free - they'd both want everything to be perfect and so would the wedding planner. For now they could just live together peacefully and just focus on each other. 

 

Namjoon confirmed that it would be the first time in a long time that there were more than one royal child. The king and his father didn't have siblings unlike this time. It was made official that since Taehyung was the second born he would act as a right-hand man like Jackson and would have a role in how the kingdom was governed. 

 

Hoseok smiled while life had changed for everyone in atlantis, specifically the royal family. The three of the princes had two parents proud of them instead of one. It was nice seeing the three welcomed Jin back into their lives. Hoseok thought it had been for the best. Life was too short to dwell on mistakes one clearly regretted. He was also excited that in less than two years he'd be calling Jungkook his brother. 

 

It was hard to think about what would happen in the future since there were struggles in the present. Obstacles could be overcome regardless of what they were, is what he always told himself. With his best friend sulking and no chance of him ever seeing Jimin, Hoseok still held tightly into hope. He'd been doing it for so long he found himself constantly doing it. 

 

He noticed that he was accurate though. Although he lost his family he found a best friend. Jungkook strayed from Namjoon's orders just to end up finding his life mate. The risks were dangerous and every now and then they were life-threatening, yet Hoseok found there was always light at the end of the tunnel. After every rainstorm there was a rainbow. Once nighttime passed there was daylight.

 

Losing hope was easy rather than having it. Hoseok hoped that there would be something good out of this - that Jungkook would have his happy ending. 

 

Hoseok noticed Jungkook's small body rising up and down. He heard the soft snores indicating that his dear friend had fallen asleep. With a bright smile, Hoseok pecked Jungkook's forehead and swam out of his friend's chambers. He prayed to Poseidon that everything would turn out alright for Jungkook. The boy deserved his happily ever after. 

 

 

                                         ✯✯✯

 

 

Jungkook guessed he had been asleep for a while now by how groggily he felt when he woke up. It took a few seconds for his eyes to open widely. He sat up and stretched his arms and released a yawn. He rubbed his eyes to fully wake them up which helped. He looked around and found himself where he expected to be - lying on his bed in his chambers. 


Last he remembered Hoseok had been in the room his hair while humming a tune of his. Jungkook could still recall the beat. He would have to ask his best friend to sing it to him later. 


The red haired merman went towards the direction of his window and looked out it. He could see the Merfolk outside swimming around plus the sea animals. Once upon a time this sight had helped him through the grief of losing his undead mother. It had been all thanks to Hoseok that he was able to move on with his life. Jungkook wished that could happen again. 


He didn't think he'd ever have to endure emotional pain ever again. The last time had been what his father told him of his mother's death. Even after experiencing that, being away from Jimin was a fresh wound that would never heal no matter how much time went by. In a way he didn't want it to. It proved that their love was true and they were life mates. 


The ache in his heart was agonizing and all he could do was let it eat at it him until he couldn't take it anymore. He loved Jimin and without him there truly was no reason to continue. Jungkook would've stopped eating and just stayed in his chambers if he didn't have his caring and loving family and friends. He felt like he should be here though he didn't want to. 


Throughout his meals today he could feel Yoongi's eyes on him while everyone seemed normal. It was yesterday that he hadn't touched his food. He didn't feel hungry but he assumed that was just one of the side effects to not being near your life mate. Jungkook had eaten today and promised to try and not forget. He didn't want to leave his family, especially when his mother came back and Taehyung would he marrying Hoseok. 


Life had been going amazing for everyone else but him. Hoseok had informed him that Jaehyun and Doyoung would be starting a family soon. If he ever found the strength to do so he'd have to make sure to congratulate his friend. Everyone seemed to be happy and enjoying life but him. 


Although he wanted to be there with them his heart couldn't stand living without Jimin. Jungkook just dealt with it the best way he could. For the longest time he had been sitting in his room crying wondering why it had to be this way. He didn't want to cry right now though. So instead, he sang. 


Jeogi meolliseo badaga deullyeo
Kkumeul geonneoseo supul neomeoro
Seonmyeonghaejineun geugoseuro ga
Take my hands now
You are the cause of my euphoria


It had been the same exact part he sung moments before Jimin woke up on the beach. The first time they had met. Jungkook had been awestruck and knee something was developing deep inside his soul that he couldn't pinpoint until he made it back home. It had been so long ago and he could remember every detail about that day as if he had experienced the moment just seconds ago. 


Inside of him was a mix of sadness and joy, mostly the sad emotions overtook him. He could feel the tears threatening to he released from his eyes but he shook his head. He didn't want to cry. He didn't want this pain and sadness - he wanted it all gone but it just wouldn't go away! 


No, no, Jungkook scolded himself. He refused to cry. Don't you dare let your best memories bring you sorrow.


He shouldn't be crying when he sang the heart song he created for Jimin. It was a song full of love and happiness - one Jimin loved dearly. Jungkook forcibly wiped away the tears with his hands. If he sung this he would sing in joy as if Jimin was with him now. 


Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Euphoria
Take my hands now
You are the cause of my euphoria


As he sang he could remember all of the beautiful memories they had spent together. They may have never kissed but that didn't mean they didn't love each other. Jimin had called his voice and heart song beautiful. The human searched for him. Jimin's arms wrapped around him whenever he fell or stepped wrong. He had made the human laugh and smile.


For the first time ever Jungkook had danced and it had been with Jimin. On their rowboat ride they had nearly kissed and even when the mood was ruined Jimin still wanted to perform. Jungkook loved the heart song Jimin had made for him. Once again they had almost kissed ajd would've if Jimin's parents hadn't disturbed them. 


Even when Jimin found out who he was and IU was trying to kill them, there had been good memories. Jimin had been overjoyed finding out that the person he searched for was right in front of him. They had nearly kissed for the third time too. Both of them helped each other and Jimin helped with killing IU. 


Their last moment brought tears to his eyes but Jungkook had been relieved that Jimin had even approached him after awakening. As always Jimin was gentle and caring to him. He hadn't at all been disgusted with what he truly was. 


Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Euphoria
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

 
He let the tears pour but he didn't frown. For Jimin he smiled happily. It was like crying of joy yet he was heartbroken. For a while he's been wondering how his favorite human on land was doing. Did he find another? Did he choose to live by his parents' rules? He just wanted someone to love and care for Jimin as he would've done. 


Close the door now
When I'm with you I'm in utopia 


Jungkook covered his face with his hands as he sobbed. At least he didn't cry during the whole song. His heart song to Jimin was one of love not tragedy. Crying while singing it would've tainted the song. And still the song was a beautiful and loving as Jimin had seen it as.


He kept looking out of the window, unknown to what was to come. Instantly he heard someone at the doorway of his room. Jungkook figured it was Hoseok or one of his family members. It might be one of his parents since they had left right after lunch. He was too sad to be curious about where they had gone off too.


"Hobi-hyung, if that's you I want to be left alone for a moment, please?" Jungkook was near begging. He didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings so he just pleaded. 


He could tell that whoever was there hadn't gone away. He opened his mouth to say something until he couldn't. All of his emotions were just taking over his whole self. He folded his arms and placed them on the window before setting his head on top, sobbing.


It hurt so much. It didn't help that no one understood the pain he was enduring either. He didn't want to talk or listen to anyone at the moment. Once again the young prince didn't expect what was to happen next. 


Just let me love you
Just let me love you
Ujuga cheoeum saenggyeonasseul ttaebuteo
Modeun geon jeonghaejin geoyeosseo
Just let me love you


Jungkook's heart stopped when he heard the familiar voice and lyrics. No, that couldn't be. Perhaps this was just one of his symptoms? Maybe finally his heart would just give in and he'd die due to heartbreak? The last thing he would hear would be the heart song that was written for him. It had to be the only explanation - it was the only one that made sense. 


He felt fine though. He was sad and confused at the same time. Jungkook resisted the desire to turn around because he knew that what he wanted to be wouldn't be there. Jimin wasn't here - he was in Mikrokosmos living his life whichever way he wished. His Jimin wasn't here. It was obviously his own imagination. 


This merman prince was wrong though. 


Let me love, let me love you
Let me love, let me love you


Jungkook gulped. Why hadn't he stopped imagining that he was hearing Jimin's voice? Why did his mind have to torment him like this? Why couldn't it just all end and be done with him? Jungkook couldn't take the suffering anymore especially if it meant he was to be forced to listen to his life mate's stunning voice that he yearned to hear.


He sobbed harder. Maybe he could let go if he explained to his family that he just couldn't handle it anymore. He could tell them that he was hearing things too. After some thought perhaps they'd realize how letting him slowly die was worst than an instant death? Maybe, maybe not. 


Jungkook kept his head down not noticing that the person wasn't at the doorway anymore. Jungkook had been too sad and worked up on hearing things that he didn't notice someone was behind him. He gasped and jumped when he felt someone wrap their arms around him securely. 


Maybe one of his brothers couldn't handle his sadness and just wanted to comfort him? He wouldn't be too surprised. Yoongi had done so yesterday after dinner. 


Jungkook assumed it was one of them until he felt someone's chin rest on his shoulder and a familiar voice fill his head. 


"Jungkook?" It had to be his mind playing tricks on him, it had to! But he could feel someone's breath and arms wrapped around his waist. He couldn't have imagined all of that too! 


Wanting his imagination to be true, Jungkook detached the arms and grabbed the person's wrists and spun to see who it was. Jungkook was frozen in place. In his head he didn't think he'd picture Jimin like this. 


There right in front of him was his life mate. Jimin with his black hair, white flawless skin and muscular body exposed. Jungkook lowered his eyes and there were no legs. Replacing the human legs Jungkook had gotten used to seeing was a  blue tail with scales - just like Jungkook and his red tail. 


"Kookie, it's really-" Merman Jimin didn't get a chance to say a thing. Instantly Jungkook tackled the former human onto his bed while hovering above him.


With widened eyes Jungkook inspected the male he called his life mate. There was no way this could be an imposter. Same voice, same facial and body features. This was his Jimin! Then how could this be? How could...How could Jimin be a part od his world? 


Jungkook felt Jimin's hands touch his face, "It's really me, Jungkook, I swear." Jungkook leaned into the touch and put his hands over Jimin's. 


His eyes were beginning to sting due to the previous tears and the ones to come. "I- I thought..."


Jimin quirked an eyebrow, "Did you really think I would be able to forget you, Jungkook? Don't you remember in WANT that I called my savior my soulmate? That hasn't changed and it never will." 


Jungkook couldn't believe what he was hearing. Throughout all of this time Jimin had been as lonely as he - both unable to love another. Their love was true. It had meant that Jimin hadn't continued on with the life he had been used to. Jimin had taken control of his life and he was a free spirit. 


"What ahout Chimmy and your friends?" Jungkook knew there was more than just his family and lifestyle Jimin had to give up. 


Jimin's soft smile remained on his face, "I promised them I'd visit and Chims loves my friends - I know they'll take care of him." 


Jungkook chuckled. He didn't know what to say. This was all so much. No longer did he feel sad but happy. He just hoped he didn't wake up and find out this was a dream because it felt too good to be true. 


"How did this happen though?" Jungkook still didn't understand the part about how Jimin was a merman like him. "Is there a different sea witch you went to?" He hoped not. 


Jimin opened his mouth to speak until someone cut him off. "We decided to pay your beloved a visit. He insisted that he loved you." Both young males looked to see Namjoon and Jin at the doorway with smiles on their faces. 


It didn't take long for Jungkook to put the pieces together. He now knew the reason why his parents had left earlier! His parents had did this just for him. They had gone to pay Jimin a visit and then they gave him a tail so they could be together in the same world. 


The young merman let go of Jimin and speedily swam toward his parents, hugging them both tightly. He wanted to cry but he found no reason to. They loved him so much that they'd do this for him. Jimin loved him enough to want to be a part of his world just like he had done. He was happy.


"Thank you Appa and Umma." Jungkook thanked both of them before pecking both of their cheeks and giving them a toothily smile. 


Jin was just relieved to see his son's happiness present, "We just want you to be happy, Kookie. You two truly love each other so it only made sense that you two deserved to spend the rest of your lives together." 


Namjoon glared at Jimin who was still on Jungkook's bed, "Hurt him and I'll hunt you down." Jimin nodded with a nervous smile. Namjoon could see Jin and Jungkook unimpressed. Namjoon then gave Jimin a smile, showing off his dimples, "And welcome to the family." 


"I'm honored, Your Majesties." Jimin looked at both Namjoon and Jin when he replied. 


Jin clapped his hands in excitement as a thought popped into his head. "Can you believe it, Joonie? Our two youngest ones will be getting married soon."


Jimin blushed at the thought and Jungkook giggled. "We haven't even started talking about that yet, Umma!" 


"But I'm guessing that'll be your plan in the future?" Namjoon wanted to make sure as he looked at Jungkook. 


It was Jungkook that responded. Jimin got up from Jungkook's bed and stood next to his life mate, "Of course it is." Jungkook and he exchanged loving smiles. 


Jin congratulated them. "Well you two lovebirds have fun together, okay? We'll inform everyone on the good news!" The king and queen hugged the two mermen. 


"I love you, Appa," Jungkook whispered into his father's ear as Namjoon hugged him. He would've never anticipated this and clearly his father's view on humans have changed.


Namjoon's signature smile with his dimples showed. He'd do anything for his children and Jin. He was glad to have brought joy back in his baby's heart. "I love you, Kookie." The couple exited the room and went to tell everyone about Jungkook's and Jimin's reunion. 


Before the red haired merman had a chance to do a thing, Jimin pushed him onto the bed as he hovered above him. Jimin wrapped his arms around Jungkook's waist and leaned down to finally, after so many attempts, claim Jungkook's lips. As he had expected they were soft and sweet. Their first kiss was sweet and chaste, ending within a few seconds. 


Both of their eyes sparkled as they looked at each other lovingly. Jungkook caressed Jimin's face. He couldn't believe that now he would have Jimin all too himself. They wouldn't ever have to part again. 


"I love you, Jimin." Jungkook whispered as he leaned close to Jimin's face with the intentions of kissing his life mate once more. 


Jimin noticed Jungkook's desire and got closer, "I love you too, Kookie." They both kissed passionately not wanting to ever let either one go and now they didn't have to. 


Both of them reunited and swore to never let each other ago. In layman's terms, they lived happily ever after. 

 

 

 

 

The End

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡

And that was the ending. Phew! 

It's been a while since I've completed a story and honestly it feels nice. I'm happy with what I wrote so I hope you guys enjoyed reading it. People talking about Jimin being the perfect Prince Eric just got me thinking and I knew I had to do something and this is what came out of it! 

This and Smoky Heart (my Yunjae story I did for the Jaehoexchange 2019 challenge) inspired me to write some more so it definitely fueled my creativity and those two stories came to be 

Tell me what you guys think I love feedback and I really want to know what you guys think since this is my first BTS fic and the main couple being Jikook. I'm thinking of writing an epilogue but tell me what you guys think (◠‿◕)

Thankyu guys for reading and stay tuned for future stories especially BTS ones so I love you all and I hope you're having a nice day (✿^‿^)