Chapter 24

The Little Merman

 

It wasn't until they were exiting WANT when Jungkook noticed how the mood had been slightly ruined. Whatever had gotten Jimin down was because of something that his friends had talked about. It had made Jimin sad and for that Jungkook was a bit upset with them. He wished for no one to make Jimin feel anything but joy. Jimin's smile yesterday and his laugh were beautiful. Jungkook wished to see and hear more.

 

Jimin seemed more isolated as they walked farther from WANT. Jungkook had been glad that Jimin's friends had changed the topic. Jimin was having a hard, Jungkook could tell. His parents stressing demands, accepting himself and then not knowing where the one person he wanted to be with was.

 

It was heartbreaking to hear Jimin miserable about his disappearance. Jungkook knew he hadn't been functioning right since he was thinking about the human and he knew exactly where he was. It was totally different for Jimin. Jimin's world didn't accept male and male relationships and Jimin thought he was a regular human, not a mer. It broke his heart that Jimin was hurting more than him.

 

The feeling the wine had given him had worn off and he was feeling just happy being around Jimin. Sungwoon had said that Jimin had prepared something and he still hoped that he could. He'd understand if he wasn't up for it. He would love to hear Jimin's voice, especially the song he had written.

 

Unaware of what was to come Jungkook trailed behind his beloved.

 

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

 

"Hoseok-hyung!" Jaehyun called out to the two mermen who were still in the canal. Jaehyun saw Jimin and Jungkook leaving a tavern. "Is that where they were?"

 

Jackson nodded, "They walked in and stayed inside for a long time. I don't know what happened in there."

 

Hoseok had watched carefully. He had seen the attitude both males had when they were leaving castle to now. It wasn't the same. Something had happened. Jimin wasn't holding hands with Jungkook like before but it seemed different. As if something was stopping Jimin from doing so - or even someone.

 

"They didn't kiss," Hoseok confirmed. Jackson and Jaehyun gazed at him with questioningly. He clarified, "They're not as happy as before."

 

Jackson knitted his eyebrows in confusion, "How can you tell? They weren't holding hands before and they were happy. Doing the same now."

 

Hoseok shook his head, "No, I know..." His only experience was what Taehyung and he had briefly shared. It wasn't much. "They still have to."

 

Jaehyun frowned, "Come on! Let's follow them. Something tells me they're going to need some help." While Jaehyun flew over the two mers swam.

 

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

 

Like Jimin had confirmed about their rowboat ride, the two of them were on a little boat as Jimin rowed. Jungkook wished he knew what the sticks Jimin was holding were called. They were human items so that interested him all the time. Jimin had called them anything but they were useful in rowing the boat. He would have to find a way to ask Jaehyun.

 

As it was many moments ago Jimin wasn't smiling. He was stoic. Jungkook didn't blame him. Jungkook exhaled deeply as he didn't know where else to stare off besides what was surrounding them. He spotted a patch of land with a large tree that was not that far away from them. The lagoon was nice and relaxing. Jungkook pondered on the thought that perhaps Jimin came here to sing or simply for some peace and quiet for his loud world.

 

Jimin put the rowing sticks down, "I'm sorry about the atmosphere. I know I'm...Withdrawn. My friends they just...You love them but sometimes they bring up stuff you don't want to talk about."

 

Jungkook smiled at the human. Jimin was apologizing for no reason.

 

Jimin carried on, "It's stuff I should think about...But I can't with everything going on between my parents."

 

Jungkook gently placed his hand over Jimin's and sent him an understanding smile. If he could take all of this stress from his beloved he would. Sad to say it wasn't possible. Maybe if Jungkook had his voice it would do something.

 

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

 

The three followed Jimin and Jungkook as they rowed their boat. Travelling and hiding was easier for Jaehyun since he was just a white swan. It would he strange for Jimin to see random rippling that came from Jackson and Hoseok pooping their heads up and down to observe what was going on.

 

Jimin had stopped rowing the boat until they were near the little piece of land with the tree. It was the perfect place for them to hide and watch the two interact. Jimin's distress still could be sensed according to Hoseok so they would have to come up with something to make the mood romantic for the two lovebirds. Jungkook needed that kiss!

 

The three had of them had promised that they weren't going to lose Jungkook to the sea witch. They would defend Jungkook even if meant trying to kill the witch themselves. Jungkook deserved to live rather than to be a prisoner of the horrible woman.

 

Jaehyun morphed into his human form and his behind the tree, "Have you seen them share a kiss yet?" The two mers had gotten there before him.

 

Hoseok shook his head, "No, not yet." He had watched Jungkook place his hand on Jimin's. How sweet.

 

Jaehyun exhaled. He was quick and smooth with Doyoung. He didn't want any waiting and it was going to have to be the same tot these two.

 

"Well they better start. We don't have much only until sunset of tomorrow." Jaehyun said. He hadn't hidden his wings so he blocked Hoseok's view.

 

Hoseok pushed at Jaehyun's long white feather, "Hey! Move your big feathers. Aish!" Jaehyun hid his wings.

 

"Ugh! Nothing is happening and one day left. This doesn't look good at all." Jaehyun narrowed his eyes at the pair on the boat. "We need to make this atmosphere scream romantic!"

 

Jackson cleared his throat, "Leave that to me." He had been silent and just viewing Jimin and Jungkook for a bit. Jaehyun sent a questioning look to Hoseok who shrugged.

 

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

 

Live off of you

Live off of you

Cause you're mine

Oxygen

Live off of you

Live off of you

Cause you're mine

Oxygen

 

Jungkook swallowed when he heard Jackson's soothing voice. He had gotten the opportunity to hear Jackson's voice many times. The concerts they hosted in Atlantis were planned by others but the idea had been created by Jackson during the first year his parents were reigning over Atlantis. It was a festivity that all Merfolk seemed to agree on.

 

Jackson's voice was nice and Mark was lucky for having a life mate with a wonderful voice. Regardless of his relaxing voice the mer was grumpy and authoritative as always. He wondered why Jackson was singing. Maybe he was trying to help! Jungkook definitely owned him one.

 

"Do you hear something?" Jimin asked, his head turning around to see where the noise was coming from.

 

Jackson continued singing.

 

I'm topless walking to the frontline with no ammo

I know I might get shot but I still go though

Go hard, go hard, go hard in beast mode

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

All I wish is the clock be ticking in slow mo', yeah

 

Jimin knew he could hear someone singing but he guessed it was okay for now. He brushed it off, "I feel like a total jerk, you know?"

 

Jungkook frowned. There was no reason why Jimin should feel bad for anything. He could only imagine why Jimin would feel bad for something. So far all Jimin has been is a sweetheart with a caring heart. He hoped that for the rest of Jimin's life he remained sweet and kind - that nothing, especially his family, would harden his personality.

 

The world needed more people like Jimin.

 

"I don't know your name and I don't want to keep calling you 'red head I met on the beach' so...Maybe I can guess your name?" Jimin said.

 

Jungkook didn't know how this would turn out but it was better than nothing. At least Jimin wanted to know his name.

 

"Okay. Um...Seongyoon?" Jungkook shook his head at the first name. Not even close but he wondered if Jimin could even guess a name with a J. "How about Jeongin?" Jungkook wrinkled his nose proving that to be a no. Jimin guessed again, "Sunyoul?"

 

As loud as he was singing, Jackson softly said, "Jungkook. His name is Jungkook."

 

Jimin repeated the name in his head and ignored the voice, "Jungkook?" Jungkook gave him a toothily smile and nodded. "Jungkook? Huh...Kookie...That's a cute name." Jungkook blushed.

 

In a room with no exit

Not expecting things to be like this yeah

Time keep passing by

I'm just gonna slowly close my eyes

Can't breath for now I might die

Just hoping you be mine

Come back to my life, come back to my life

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

 

Jimin couldn't deny the romantic atmosphere. It was dark, the lyrics from that unknown voice were full of love and he enjoyed the red haired boy's - whose name happened to be Jungkook - company. Granted they haven't even been together for a week and Jimin loved Jungkook's toothily smile. It reminded him of a bunny.

 

The human prince didn't know where Jungkook had come from but a sort of innocence radiated off of him. Jimin hadn't asked how old he was but he seemed to be young, not any older than eighteen. Jungkook was like the only light in a dark world - there was something interesting and addicting about him. Jimin couldn't ignore the beauty Jungkook held as well.

 

Life wasn't about the materialistic things and Jimin knew better than to fall in love with someone because of their faces and bodies. Jungkook was beautiful and his innocence showed more of him that one would expect. Jimin was beginning to feel the urge to hold his hands or even share a kiss with the red haired boy. He shouldn't be thinking these things though. Forget what society or his parents thought about relationships like those.

 

It was his savior.

 

Jimin was devoted and in love with the one who rescued him. One day he wanted to hear that voice again. It was all he had from his savior - the beautiful voice that sung him a beauty melody. Jungkook didn't deserve to be someone's replacement. Jimin didn't want to do that to him. Even though his thoughts had good intentions, his heart was telling him to get closer to Jungkook.

 

He promised that once he found his savior he would sing to him something as loving - why was he performing it for Jungkook then? He still planned on doing so as well. Jimin didn't know what to do but he was starting to become curious about having Jungkook in his life. It would mean letting go of the one who saved him forever.

 

Was it worth it?

 

He enjoyed Jungkook's company and it was fun showing him Mikrokosmos. Having someone like Jungkook in life wasn't horrible. It was euphoric, ironically. Jungkook didn't seem to be upset that the mood was ruined. He understood and he didn't try to bring his spirits up. He gave him time to himself and in his own silence. Jimin appreciated it.

 

Maybe he left for a reason, Jimin thought about his savior.

 

It was suggested that the reason why his savior had left was because he couldn't stay. Maybe that was the truth? Life had its ups and downs. Perhaps the down was meeting once and that was all? As cruel as that reality was it wasn't unbelievable.

 

Would he rather remain alone or take a chance on something right in front of him? Jimin didn't want to wait anymore.

 

Slowly, Jimin leaned close to Jungkook. He saw the surprise in the other's face but he didn't pull away from him - that was a sign that this wasn't going to end up awkward or bad. Jungkook would've pushed him away if he didn't want to do this. Jimin didn't stop.

 

Deep in your shadow I dive

Want you to be in my life

 

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

 

Swallowing down the lump that had formed in his throat, Jungkook nervously stated into Jimin's eyes. He saw his beloved human contemplating things in his head - thinking deeply - he wished he could read Jimin's mind. It wasn't until after a few minutes that Jimin started getting closer to him. He realized soon what was going on.

 

Jimin was going to kiss him!

 

He didn't flinch or move an inch. He didn't want Jimin to think he didn't want this. Jungkook just kept his eyes attached to Jimin as their faces came closer inch by inch. Finally their faces were too close that there was no mistake that they'd kiss.

 

Jungkook leaned a bit as he closed his eyes, waiting to be kissed by his life mate. Jimin's lips nearly touched Jungkook's when...

 

Live off you

Live off you

Cuz you're mine

Oxygen

Live off you

Live off you

Cuz you're mine

Oxygen

 

The rowboat flipped over out of the blue. Jackson, Hoseok and Jaehyun bit back the desire to help out the two males. They couldn't make themselves known to Jimin. They stayed back and watched from afar to make sure the two were fine. Clearly this mood had been ruined and there was no way Jimin would kiss anyone.

 

Although they hadn't kissed just like when they had met, Jimin was first to help Jungkook. Jimin helped the red haired boy on his feet and even draped an arm around Jungkook's waist since he knew the other had trouble walking.

 

"Are you okay?" Jimin asked the other, pushing the red drenched strands out of Jungkook's eyes. Jungkook nodded. Jimin exhaled, "The night still isn't over you know?"

 

Jungkook bit down on his lip. He had forgotten for a second! How could he? It was the best part of their time together. Jimin had a song to sing and Jungkook was going to get it all to himself. Sungwoon had said Jimin's voice was pretty amazing.

 

He didn't doubt it.

 

"Let's head back..." Jimin began as he looked deeply into Jungkook's eyes. The desire to kiss him was still present. "We still have that concert, remember?" Jungkook smiled.

 

There was still the concert when they might share a kiss. Jungkook held onto the hope.

 

 

✯✯✯

 

 

 

Even after Namjoon's and Jin's baby son had left her lair, IU wasn't dumb enough to not keep an eye on the former mer. She hadn't been too concerned at first. She knew there was no way Prince Jimin would even attempt to kiss Jungkook. She didn't need to keep an eye to make sure that happened. All she had to do was make the price for Jungkook's legs the red haired merman's voice.

 

She watched Jungkook ever since he had found that fork and pipe. It was crystal clear that Jimin wouldn't fall in love with Jungkook because the lack of his voice. That human prince was in love with a fish that could sing - who was no longer part fish or could sing. Jimin couldn't let go of the merman who saved him. He wouldn't be able to replace that person.

 

IU was lucky that she had at the last minute sent Hyolyn and Bora to go check up on Jungkook. If it hadn't been for the hunch she would've been ruined! There wouldn't have been a way for her to get the throne of Atlantis. She wasn't going to let that happen. Jungkook was her way to getting what she's always wanted but was stolen from her.

 

"Good work, girls. That was a close one." IU went back and forth, her eyes resting on the crystal ball. The lovebirds were rowing away. "Why did I question it? Of course that boy would have something up his sleeves! When you have two charming mers mate it only makes sense their offspring would end the same!"

 

The crystal ball changed. No longer was it on Jimin and Jungkook who were maling their way towards Mikrokosmos. Now it was showing Jin stuck in the cell on land in IU's hideout. The sea witch couldn't refrained a chuckle. Sinisterly, IU was anticipating for the family reunion that was so long overdue. For Jungkook to know his mother was alive and imprisoned in the same kingdom where he was pursuing his human prince.

 

IU always wondered what Namjoon had told the children. She had always believed he had come up with some excuse. Whether or not they knew didn't matter to her. Just seeing the king and queen a part and Jin away from the family he loved dearly was a treat. She sometimes debated whether having Jin as a bargaining chip would've worked but it might've been different.

 

It's not like Namjoon could give Jin his tail back. When Jungkook fails he'll be back in the ocean and the only thing left for Namjoon is to make a different deal. Jin was the love of Namjoon's life but they would definitely put their children before themselves. If she had used Jin as a way to become queen, the beautiful merman would've begged Namjoon to never let her. It would've been heartbreaking but Namjoon might've listened.

 

Besides now she could kill two birds with one stone. Take Jin's and Jungkook's youth and kill them. Crown herself queen. She'd turn Namjoon into some weak sea creature and the rest of the Merfolk would be under her command as it should've always been. No one would be able to stop her. Not even Namjoon's and Jin's brave soldiers back in Atlantis.

 

"It's time I took matters into my own hands," IU said as she started throwing all sorts of items from herself and into the cauldron. Light purple smoke began surrounding her. "Namjoon's son will be mine and then I'll make him writhe! Namjoon will be a wriggling worm on a hook!" She laughed as her tentacles faded and she had legs.

 

Like a human.