A Mess

I Saw You From Across The Room

Arriving at the cafe early today, Jeongyeon would have been content to be cleaning today, she didn't want to face customers in this mood and wished Miss Kim would take pity on her by letting her stay in the back and do mundane jobs like sorting the store cupboard. No such luck, neither of her bosses were there when she arrived and so she fixed her best smile in place as she took to the counter whilst tying her apron.

Filling up the beans in the coffee machine took an age and she sighed a little too loudly as she did it, one of her coworkers frowned at her and she half bowed apologetically before turning her attention back to the beans. Finishing up, she made sure all the cups were facing the right way and she punched in her staff number so the register knew who to blame if there was a mistake at all.

Resting her head on her hands, she felt a cool breeze waft across her face and closed her eyes temporarily before a customer appeared and cleared their throat to wake her from her daydream. For a second she didn't register who it was and took the order of an iced Americano as though she was a robot on automatic. The girl who had just ordered, walked away to her table and sat down, facing the counter as usual. Jeongyeon felt the back of her neck burn out of embarrassment as Taeyeon walked through the door with a grin on her face, she mad a beeline for the girl's table and sat down, moments later the pair were giggling like a pair of schoolgirls and Taeyeon got up just as Jeongyeon had finished making the drink to take over.

"Here's your order Miss, one iced Americano. Would you like anything else?", she avoided eye contact fo longer than a second and felt her cheeks colour as she accidentally let her eyes linger on the customer's face, she was so embarrassed that she bowed and left before the customer could reply. Stupid stupid Jeongyeon!, now she's gonna think you're a weirdo. She frantically cleaned the counter and busied herself with every little spot of dirt she could find until the girl left and she turned around finally. Thank god she was gone, now Jeongyeon could relax and let the rest of her shift drift along until home time.

8pm finally rolled around and an exhausted Jeongyeon bid her colleagues, including Miss Kim, goodbye before grabbing her things. She was just walking to the door as Taeyeon stopped her and handed her something, smiling as she walked back into the office and closed the door. Jeongyeon unfolded the napkin and grinned, she hadn't screwed things up after all as she read the girl's number with a heart over her name.  Hastily putting it into her contacts and stowing the napkin away in her pocket, she walked out into the cool summer evening with a smile on her face. Nice to meet you Im Nayeon.