Thirty One

What Goes Around
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2011, April

"This is so hard~" Yixing sighed as he looked at the problem set for his Advanced Calculus class. 

"Give it here," Eunhee stretched out her hand and Yixing sat down beside her, giving her the paper. They were at the diner where they ate when Yixing first saw her in New York. "And your notes." Yixing gave her his notes. "And your phone." 

"Why do you need my phone?" 

"Internet, research." She said pointedly. "I don't know college advanced calculus. I'm gonna rely on your notes and the internet to figure out how to solve this." Eunhee scrunched her eyebrows together and adjusted her glasses as she tried to solve the problem set.

It has been five months since her move to New York. She is supposed to already be enrolled in Pencey Preparatory Academy, but after taking the Admissions Exam and being interviewed by Headmaster Holt, Eunhee was evaluated to be fit for 12th grade. As much as Papa and Mama were proud of her, they wanted her to have a normal high school experience. Or at least, as normal as she could have. She was just sixteen (seventeen in Korean age), and would be two years younger than her classmates. Her parents were afraid that she might be an outcast because of the age barrier. So after a lot of family discussions and meetings with the school, it was decided that she would defer her enrollment to the fall semester and be in the same grade as Tao. 

She can feel that Yixing was looking at her and smiling as she solved the problem. "What?" she looked at him questioningly. 

"Nothing." He chuckled and pinched both her cheeks. "You look like Pikachu when you are focused." 

"Hey, stop that!" Eunhee glared as she slapped his hands. "Here, I'm done." 

"Kang Eunhee, you are an absolute genius!" He with amazement. "How did you solve for that?" 

Eunhee explained how she solved the problem, then they tried to do it for the other items. Yixing was pouting after they left the diner. "Eunhee, I don't want to go home yet." 

"But Yixing, I have somewhere to be." 

"Can't I go with you?" He whined. 

"Hmm... actually. I could use your opinion." She pondered. "Let's go!"

They ended up at the Zhang department store in Midtown Manhattan. And Eunhee led Yixing to the men's section. "Why are we here?" 

"Hmm..." Eunhee hummed as she looked at the racks. "Here!" she said as she picked up a white and a black Louis Vuitton monogram leather cap. This would suit him well. "Which one do you like more?" she asked Yixing. 

"Hmm... the white one~" 

"Then, the white one it is!" Eunhee asked the personnel to pack the cap in a box for her. 

"What is that for?" Yixing curiously asked. 

"It's for his birthday." Eunhee gave a sad smile. 

"Who? Minseok hyung? His birthday was last week." He scratched his head. "Luhan ge?" 

"No, Yixing. Him." 

"Oh~" Him. That boy. Eunhee's first love. 

"I still have no idea how to send it to him anonymously." Eunhee sighed. "If I do it via post, it might take a while." 

"I'll do it." Yixing volunteered. "We'll ask one of the uncles to bring it to Seoul. Hmmm... but, how can we send it anonymously?" 

"He receives a lot of anonymous gifts from his 'fans' at school in his locker. Locker number 94." Sehun always used that locker, and there was a rule in Shinhwa to have the same locker until the student graduates. "He wouldn't be puzzled if I send in this one without a name." 

"Alright, then. We'll sneak it into his locker." Yixing nodded. "When is his birthday again?" 

"April 12." She said with a smile. "He is turning 17 this year." 

Yixing fixed the frown on his face and replaced it with a smile. "Don't worry, Eunhee. I'll make sure he receives it on his birthday." 

 

 

 

 

2011, September

Eunhee was walking with her brother towards the post office. They just finished hearing mass and lighting a candle for her late halmeoni. She was clutching an envelope in her hand, it contains a simple letter to a person that she would rather forget. It was just a narrative of what happened to halmeoni and where she is buried. The letter has no return address.

Minseok stayed outside to wait for Eunhee as she went in and went straight for the reception.

"Excuse me," she asked one of the attendants. "Where do I line up if I want to send this to Seoul, South Korea?" 

"Over there~" he said dismissively. 

"Thanks." 

The line was not that long, it only took her a few minutes. 

"Next!" 

Once she was in front one of the windows she gave the lady the form that she filled up earlier for the address of the recipient. "57 Daesagwan-ro, Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea." The lady confirmed. 

"Yes," she said as she nodded her head. 

"And the recipient. Hmmm... Miyeon Kim, is that right?" 

"Right." She nodded once again. 

The person behind the window just typed something in the computer. "Done. Next!" She shouted. 

Eunhee hurriedly said thank you and went outside. 

"You done?" Minseok asked as he looked up from his phone.  

She nodded and smiled. Yes she was done. This was the final piece of her life back in Seoul. She is done with the past Kim Eunhee. 

 

 

 

 

2012, May

Eunhee wanted to cry. She was in her bedroom at the Kim townhouse in Upper West Side, Manhattan wearing a sheer red off the shoulder gown by Armani, her hair is on a loose side braid and the make up artists did an exceptional job (albeit only putting a thin layer of makeup). She looked like one of those movie stars ready to walk the red carpet. Except she's not going anywhere. It was Pencey Preparatory Academy's Prom Night and her date just ditched her. 

It was her fault really. Getting Grant Ward as her date when she knew that he was going to drop her once his ex-girlfriend says the word. Ward is one of those high school heartthrobs: handsome, rich, not-so-smart but acceptable, and captain of Pencey's lacrosse team. He asked her to go with him to prom, and being smitten by his charm she immediately agreed. She was not one of those girls who likes him, though, her heart still belongs to one person who is currently on the other side of the world. She just thinks that it would be good to have Grant Ward as her date because it will piss off those stuck up es in her school, and well- he's good looking. 

She knew she was screwed when Tao sent her a picture of a twitter post of Daisy Johnson with her ex-boyfriend and Eunhee's supposed date. By that time, she was already on her dress and she didn't have the heart to tell her very excited mama that she was abandoned. And she definitely won't be going to prom alone, not with everyone knowing that she was supposed to be Ward's date and that she got easily discarded because of a student who doesn't even go to their school. 

I won't be humiliated like this! 

She was supposed to change out of her outfit and fake sickness when she heard a light knock on her door. 

"Come in," she shouted. 

Yixing walked in her room wearing a three piece suit from Burberry. "Hey, angel."

"Yixing? Looking good. Are you excited for the UN Gala?"   

"I am excited. But, I'm not going to the gala. I'm going to prom, with you!" He said cheerfully. 

"What?! But~ that's the UN Gala! Why are you going to some high school prom with me and skipping one of the most exclusive events of the year?" 

"Prom with you is much more special than any other exclusive formal event-" 

"I'm not even going!" 

"What? Eunhee! What are you talking about, this is prom! You were so excited to go since last night." 

"Well that was before I got shelved by my date," she scoffed. 

"So? I am here right now. Miss Kim Eunhee, will you be oh so kind to accept me as your prom date?" He said, kneeling in front of her and holding out his hand. 

Eunhee just looked at Yixing. He has been looking forward to the UN Gala for the past months, why would he just throw it away now? 

"Eunhee," he sighed at sat beside her on the bed. "I will have other chances to go to the UN Gala, but your prom? It's only going to be for this night. I'm not going to let some jerkface who didn't even deserve to be your date ruin this night for you." 

"Thank you, Yixing." She said as she stood up and took h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter