Nine

What Goes Around
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The atmosphere is tense on the dining room of the Kim family's home. Eunhee stood up. "Thank you for the meal. I'll get going now." 

"Eunhee. Eunhee, wait!" Junmyeon said as he hurriedly gulped his juice and followed Eunhee out. 

"Oppa!" Miyeon called Junmyeon. Now that he was gone, no one would ride a cab with her to school. 

Mr. Kim sighed. "Miyeon, I'll drive you to school." 

"Thank you, Mr. Kim- I mean, Appa." 

The remaining members of the family finished their breakfast and Mr. Kim and Miyeon left, leaving Mrs. Kim and Miyeon's grandmother on the dining table. 

"Mrs. Kim," Misook, Miyeon's grandmother started. "I just would like to thank you for everything that you have done for me and for my granddaughter." She stopped and contemplated. "Both Miyeon and Eunhee." 

"You don't need to thank me, Ms. Choi. They're not just your granddaughters, they're my children too." 

The older woman smiled. "I know, and I am so grateful that Eunhee was raised in a family like yours. She would live comfortably, unlike me and unlike her mother. Please take care of them. Please take care of Eunhee and my Miyeon." 

"Ms. Choi. Why are you saying that? It's as if you are saying goodbye." 

Misook lowered her head to stop her tears from falling. "I am leaving for Ulsan in one week. My son is coming back home and I want to take care of him. He's... he's had a tough couple of years." 

Mrs. Kim gasped. "But how about Miyeon? And Eunhee? Are you going to leave your granddaughters alone?"

The old woman gave a sad smile as she thought about Eunhee. Ever since they found out about the switch, Eunhee has been avoiding her. She doesn't blame the child. Who would want to be related to her? A poor, old, woman, who has to work two jobs to support herself and her granddaughter. She has her family. A family who is complete. She would rather both Miyeon and Eunhee to stay with the Kims. She will deal with Ulsan and Seungho on her own. 

"They are better off here." Misook answered. "Our life in Ulsan is a mess. No need to involve the children. Besides, I know that I will leave them in good hands. You took such good care of Eunhee, I know that you will do the same with Miyeon." 

"Does-does Miyeon know?" 

"Not yet. I plan to tell the both of them separately. I also wanted to tell Mr. Kim myself and think him. If you wouldn't mind, can we please keep it to ourselves first?" 

"Of course," Mrs. Kim nodded. "And I respect your decision. Thank you so much for taking such good care of our daughter. I promise to take care of Eunhee and Miyeon. I will not fail you."

"Thank you, Mrs. Kim." Misook said with a bow. Now that she already told Mrs. Kim, it was time to tell her grandchildren. 

 

 

 

 

It was three days before her birthday that Eunhee was approached by Miyeon's grandmother. She was fixing a fruitshake for herself in the kitchen.

"Eunhee..." 

"Ahjumoni. What can I do for you?" she said curtly. 

"I just wanted to let you know that I am leaving in three days. I will be moving back to Ulsan to take care of my son. I am going back to our house in Dobong-dong to take care of a few things before I leave." 

Eunhee stopped what she was doing and looked at the old woman. "Oh? And?"

"I just-" Misook exhaled. "I wanted to let you know." 

"I honestly don't care, ahjumoni." Eunhee said as she transferred the shake from a blender to a glass, she looked at the old woman. "I was raised in this household. My parents are Kim Jihoon and Moon Taehee. You, on the other hand, you're a stranger to me. Although I am related to you by blood, I still don't have a clue who you are. You can't really expect me to care about the whereabouts of a stranger. I'm sorry, but that's the truth." 

"I know." The old woman gave a sad smile. "Can you- can you do this stranger a favor and give her one last hug?" 

"Fine." Eunhee said with a huff as she hugged the old woman. She would never admit it, but Miyeon's grandmother's hug really comforted her. 

"Goodbye, my Eunhee. Take care of yourself, okay?" 

Eunhee can only nod as she looked at her grandmother walking away. 

 

 

 

 

"It's too bad that your party got cancelled. Everyone was already talking about your birthday. It was supposed to be the most talked about party of the year." Hyeri said. 

Eunhee's class is having joint Physical Education with class 2-D, the class of Hyeri, Minah, and much to her chagrin, Miyeon. She hasn't talked to Miyeon or her parents or Miyeon's grandmother since she found out about the switch. The only person she talks to in the house is Junmyeon.  

"I heard that it got cancelled because of Kang Miyeon," Minah probed. "Is that true?" Eunhee ignored Minah. She really doesn't want to hear anything related to that girl.

The class was divided into four groups. They are playing dodgeball and whoever wins in this round will battle Hyeri and Minah's team. Eunhee was of course exempted because of the accident. There was a series of screams that signalled the end of the round. Miyeon's team won. Miyeon was thirsty and she jogged to where her bag is, which was unfortunately near where Eunhee and the two other girls were talking. 

"Why would Eunhee's party be cancelled because of Miyeon?" Hyeri scoffed loudly as if to taunt Miyeon. "She's just a guest at their house. There is surely a bigger reason why Eunhee's party is cancelled. It can't just be because of a distant cousin." 

"Yeah, I mean look at her. Walking around the school as if she deserves to be here. She was only enrolled here because Eunhee's family sort of adopted her." Minah added. 

Miyeon drank her water then put her jug on the bag. She turned around and looked at Eunhee, the girl was still mum about what her friends said. Truthfully, Miyeon has had enough of Eunhee and her attitude. The girl didn't even acknowledge her when Miyeon was trying hard to make friends with her. She left her in school to wait for the supplies and even lied to eomma about the reason why she had to stay. She is rude and cruel. And now Eunhee's friends are outright bullying her and she doesn't even bat an eyelash. Why should she let this one slide? She is not the extra baggage in the family. Eunhee is. Eunhee does not have the right to act all high and mighty when she is the one who stole from Miyeon. Eunhee stole her parents, her brother, her house, the life that was supposed to be Miyeon's. 

"Yeah, Kim Eunhee-" Miyeon stopped and gave a scoff. "I mean, Kang Eunhee. Care to tell your friends the truth? About why your party is really cancelled? Why I am enrolled in this school? Or who really deserves to be enrolled in this school?" 

"What are you-" Hyeri started. 

Eunhee was just looking at the ground, people are starting to gather around them. She stood up and turned around to leave when Miyeon spoke. 

"Yah! Tell them! Tell them Kang Eunhee! How you are not a Kim. How you and I were switched by the hospital when we were born. That you are the one who is sort of adopted by the family. That your party is cancelled because eomma and appa would rather spend the day doing what their real daughter wanted to do instead of throwing money for their fake one. And that between the two of us, I am the one who deserves to be here, while you just got lucky. You are nothing but a lucky thief."

The silence was defeaning in the gymn. Eunhee really wanted to leave. Her tears are threatening to fall, and she can't let them see it. She can't let her see it. Because crying in front of Miyeon would have meant that what she said is true. It's not. No matter what happens she is still a Kim. She was raised by eomma and appa, Junmyeon still considers her his sister. She is a Kim, maybe not by blood, but she is. Isn't she?

"Eunhee-" Jongin started, but Eunhee felt her tears fall so she ran away from the gymn and raced to the rooftop. 

"Yah! Yah! Stop! Kim Eunhee! Stop!" She felt arms engulfing her in a back hug. 

"I'm not Kim Eunhee!" she sobbed as she tried to get away from him. "Didn't you hear her, Sehun? I don't- I don't know who I am. Appa and eomma, are they going to give me back to my grandmother? I don't want to. I don't want to leave!" she turned around and cried on his shirt. Sehun caged her in his arms and her back. He can feel the wetness of his shirt, being drenched by Eunhee's tears but he did not care.

"It's alright. It's alright, cry it out. I'm here. No one can touch you while I'm here. It will be okay." Sehun tri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter