Twelve

What Goes Around
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a rainy late September afternoon. Eunhee was wearing an all black hanbok looking at Halmeoni's portrait that she was carrying a while ago. The priest was saying something, but Eunhee didn't even bother to listen. No tears were streaming down her face. She thinks that she already cried all of her tears away in the hospital and during the funeral.

The priest gave his final blessing and people started to give Eunhee and Seungho their final condolences. Only a few people attended halmeoni's burial. Auntie Hyoyeon, Uncle Wooyoung, Bora Unnie, Jinyoung, and Kang Seungyoon were all there, as were one or two of Eunhee's classmates (those who cared enough) and some of halmeoni's coworkers in her two jobs. 

Eunhee should have been tired after arranging the burial, greeting guests at the funeral, and taking care of her grandmother when she was confined in the hospital. But the girl can't even feel anything. She was numb. 

It was a good thing that Seungho showed up at the burial sober. It was actually the first time since he was released from prison that Eunhee saw him not drinking alcohol or taking whatever substance he takes.  At least he was able to carry halmeoni's casket to the cemetery. Halmeoni would have been disappointed if Seugho turned up drunk. 

Eunhee kneeled in front of her grandmother's grave and touched her photograph. 

Thank you for everything, halmeoni. I love you so much. Thank you for accepting me even if I was practically a stranger, thank you for being the only family who did not abandon me, thank you for being patient with me even if I am a brat, thank you for always reminding me that I am special even without being rich or being a student at an exclusive school. I'm sorry for being such a bad grandchild. I'm sorry if you had to sacrifice your life so that I'd be comfortable. I'm sorry I can't do anything to help you. I promise you, I will keep on living. And as much as I don't like him, I will still take care of Uncle Seungho, because he is the only family I have now, and because I know that it's what you would have wanted. I won't fail you halmeoni, I will be a better Eunhee. Thank you for teaching me so much. I love you, Halmeoni. I will never forget you. 

 

 

 

 

"GAAAHHHHH!" Another bottle of beer was thrown in their living room. Eunhee was curled up in a corner, her arms bruised again, she thinks that another bruise would form at her side. It hasn't stopped aching til last night. Eunhee was afraid that Uncle Seungho might have hurt her somewhere that could cause complications because of her past injuries from the accident, but she can't go to the hospital. 

All of her savings were used to pay for halmeoni's treatment, and Seungho took her extra money from her. As much as she wanted to get herself checked, she can't afford a consultation right now. 

Eunhee could hear Seungho cursing at her. 

"Useless... just like her mother... stupid ... left me with a useless brat..."

Once she heard him leave she stood up and limped outside. It was a good thing Seungho never hit her in the face, it would be more difficult to hide that. She can't exactly buy some concealer or make up to cover up the bruises. She's broke. She would just buy some painkillers. Seungyoon's family owns the pharmacy, and sometimes he would help her out by sneaking out painkillers for her or giving them to her at a discount. Seungyoon is a good person. Even if she says no whenever he asks to go out, he still helps her. 

Eunhee limped outside. She stopped when felt a prescence near her. She has been feeling that presence ever since she was at the hospital when she was taking care of halmeoni. It was as if someone was following her. Eunhee turned around to survey her surroundings but no one was there except for her and a stray dog. She shook her head and continued walking. It might have just been her imagination. 

 

 

 

 

"Here it is, darling," Han Sichun said as she looked at Lay's messy scribble and the name of the restaurant in front of her. "Auntie Hyo's Restaurant." 

"Great! Let's have lunch here!" Kim Minwoo took his wife's hand and they went inside the small establishment. They were greeted by a young boy who was just probably in high school. He led them to their seats and took their order. Sichun started to take some pictures of the restaurant. 

"I'm going to send this to Liying

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter