Twenty Nine

What Goes Around
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Is everything going well, Manager Jeon?" Miyeon asked Jeon Soyeon, the manager of the events department, as she rushed about The Zhang Shangri-la Gangnam's Grand Ballroom. It was already eight in the evening and the guests of honor for Daesan Financial's 75th Anniversary Ball are bound to arrive any minute now. 

"Yes, Secretary Kim. No disruptions so far and we are right on schedule," Manager Jeon said as she adjusted her radio mike. Miyeon bowed as the other woman walked to where the other ushers are. 

"Secretary Kim," Miyeon greeted.

"Secretary Kim," Chanmi bowed back.

"Wow. We are all Secretary Kims," Doyoung chuckled as he stood beside the two. 

As the assistants of the CEO, CFO, and Chief Risk Officer (the three heirs of Daesan Financial Group), Miyeon, Chanmi, and Doyoung are in charge of ushering the VIPs to their seats. The VIPs include the Kim Family, and the families and guests of the Daesan Group Executives. 

Miyeon has been practicing walking around in high heels for days now. Heels and pumps are not her thing. Even when she was in college, she preferred wearing boots and sneakers. But she has to be presentable for the day, because she is representing Minseok's office. She can't let Minseok down. 

She is wearing the gown that Baekhyun designed for her. It is a gray one shouldered a-line gown. The upper garment is silk and the skirt is tulle, with glitters scattered around it. The first time that Miyeon saw it, she was reminded of rain clouds. But rain clouds made beautiful by Baekhyun's creative mind. Her hair is curled to loose waves, twisted on the sides and joined in the middle. She looked really pretty and has been turning heads even when she walked at the hotel lobby a while ago. 

"Secretary Kim?" Hwang Chansung, the Head of Security of the Kim Family asked. Miyeon, Chanmi, and Doyoung all looked at him. "Er~ Secretary Kim Miyeon?" 

"That's me," Miyeon softly said. 

"CEO Kim's family has already arrived. They will be greeting the press first before going inside, once they are done with the press photos please them to their seats. Han Samonim is very strict when it comes to their family's privacy, so please make sure that you block the press from asking unnecessary questions." Chansung informed. "Secretary Kim Doyoung, you will be leading Director Kim's family to their seats and Secretary Kim Chanmi, please be vigilant once the other executives start arriving." 

The three nodded and dispersed to their assigned stations.

This is it! I can do this. This night has to be perfect, I won't let Minseok down. Miyeon thought as she walked towards the lobby where the press is waiting. 

 

 

 

 

"Nervous?" Kim Minwoo asked as he saw his daughter look at the reporters setting up their microphones and cameras outside. They were inside a heavily tinted black Mercedes Benz S-Class in front of the Zhang Shangri-la Gangnam's entrance. 

"Is it bad if I say I am?" Eunhee grimaced. 

"Oh, Sweetheart." Minwoo took her hand. "We don't have to do this if you are not comfortable to face the press yet. Haraboji, Uncle Jongwoon, Aunt Yoojin, and Jongdae are skipping the press." 

"But we called them here because I said that I am ready." It is the first time that the media is allowed to post photos of the elusive Kim heiress. Eunhee thinks that she no longer has to hide herself, everyone already knew that she is Emily Kim. 

"It is still your call, Eunhee." Minwoo gave her a small smile. 

Eunhee sighed. "No, I am not backing down." She said with conviction. "You did not teach me to be a wimp. I said I would face the press, then I would follow through." 

"That's my girl." Minwoo chuckled. 

"Are Mama and Oppa, ready?" Eunhee asked. 

"We are all ready when you are, Sweet Pea."

Eunhee exhaled and opened the door of the car. 

The press was in awe of the Kim Family. Vice Chairman Kim Minwoo and Madame Han Sichun did not look a day over than forty, they are one of those glamorous couples who exudes class and power. Michael Kim has been a favorite of the media ever since he became the Managing Director at Daesan Financial's New York Branch, he is the charming prince every girl dreams about. But they were all awestruck by the unknown woman who alighted the car with the Vice Chairman. 

She was wearing a midnight blue long sleeveless ballgown with a v-neckline in front and a low v-cut at the back. The gown is embellished with crystals and glow in the dark glitters from head-to-toe which made it glimmer in front of the cameras. Her face is comparable to that of a porcelain doll's, with her big eyes, button nose, and delicate lips. Her hair is on a loose but carefully twisted bun, with two tendrils framing her dainty face. The woman was wearing minimal makeup, and everyone is astonished at her radiant skin. Everyone knows who she is, the youngest and only female heir of the Kim Empire. Emily Kim. 

She smiled and bowed at the media, and they instantly loved her. She would surely be the talk of the town and the new darling of the society pages. 

Once the family was done taking photos, they were ushered in to the hotel lobby. Eunhee became rigid as she saw who was waiting for them inside the hotel. 

"Hello, Vice Chairman Kim, Madame Han, CEO Kim, and VP Kim," Miyeon bowed. "Please follow me to your seats." They were led to the middle table in front where Chairman Kim, Jongdae, and his parents, Kim Jongwoon, and Kwon Yoojin are seated. 

"Ah, my eldest is here!" Chairman Kim clapped as he saw the family of four approach them. After greeting her uncle, aunt, and cousin, Eunhee went to sit between her haraboji and oppa. Jongdae was on the other side of Chairman Kim, Sichun and Yoojin are seated beside their sons, and the Kim brothers were already happily chatting beside their wives. "My beautiful granddaughter stunned everyone tonight. Including that young man over there." He chuckled. Yixing stood in front of their table, wearing a Valentino three-piece navy suit looking like a prince with his hair slicked back, gaping at Eunhee. "Why don't you go and say hi?" 

Eunhee smiled at Yixing and she was about to come to his table and greet him when a hand suddenly s on his arm. Megan Wong nodded at Eunhee as she greeted Yixing with a kiss. "Maybe later, Haraboji." Eunhee said with a wince. 

Eunhee looked around for her friends on the crowd. On one of the tables on the next row are Luhan, Gabrielle, Kris, Umi, Tao, and surprisingly, Wendy. She is wearing a familiar aqua blue dress, Eunhee just can't remembeer where she saw it. Jongin is a little further back with Baekhyun, Junmyeon, and Jisoo. Kyungsoo is probably out back supervising his staff, and Chayeol is backstage. But there is one person missing. Now, where is Sehun? The Ohs are supposed to be near the executives' table as Hanshin is soon to be partners with Daesan. Even the Wus, the Lus, the Huangs, and Mr. Ryuzaki (with a new girlfriend in tow) are here to support their long time business partner. 

Oh well, I can always look for Sehun later. I have to discuss something about the deal. Eunhee thought as she straightened her gown. 

"Chairman Kim, If you are ready, then we can start with the program." Secretary Shin Donghee said. 

"Alright, Shindong. We'll be up." Chairman Kim said as he stood. "Children?"

Eunhee, Minseok, and Jongdae all stood up to go up the stage with their grandfather. As the new Group C-Level executives and the face of the Kim Family, it is important for the three cousins to be presented properly to the press, to the business partners, and to the employees. 

Secretary Shin introduced Eunhee's haraboji and there was thunderous claps as the Chairman made his way to the podium to give his speech. His speech was brief, but good. He emphasized the importance of integrity and commitment in everything that the Group does. The chairman also stressed the importance of family and making sure that their customers feel that Daesan is something akin to a family, and that the company will be there to help them in planning for their financial needs. Lastly, he dicussed about the need to be the leader in the industry for innovation and technological transformation. The crowd gave Chairman Kim a standing ovation as he finished his speech and gave them a full bow. 

All the while, Eunhee was unfocused and bothered. Where is Sehun? Why is he not here? She looked uneasy as she scanned the crowd for any signs of the Hanshin heir.

"Emily, Ems. Time to go down, come on, let's go." Jongdae nudged his cousin. "You okay?" 

"Yeah. Oppa, have you seen Sehun?" She whispered as she made her way down.

"Who?" Jongdae frowned. 

"President Oh Sehun of Hanshin Automobile." Eunhee said. He shook his head. 

"Hyung! Have you seen President Oh Sehun of Hanshin Automobile?" Jongdae asked Yixing who was making his way to them with Megan beside him. Yixing's girlfriend is wearing an off-shoulder wine colored mermaid dress, and was looking very sultry with her smokey eyed make up and her long hair on big curls. 

"No," Yixing frowned. "Why are you looking for him?" 

"Emi is looking for him." Jongdae shrugged. 

"Oh~" 

Eunhee turned around as she felt someone poke her in the back. "Hey, Kim. You clean up nicely." Tao teased. 

"You look great too, Tao." Eunhee rolled her eyes. She didn't have to ask him how he is, she knew because they chat everyday. 

"EHHHHH!" Eunhee and Umi squealed as they hugged each other.

"I missed that sound~" Kris said sarcastically. 

"Great to see you too, Kris Ge." Eunhee gave him a pointed look. "About that favor that I asked. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much it meant to me." 

Kris' eyebrows raised and his forehead scrunched. "Actually, it wasn't me-"

"Oh look, Wendy's here!" Yixing exclaimed. 

Eunhee faced the doctor. "I thought you were busy." 

"Change of plans," she cleared and looked down. Jongdae was staring at her the whole time. 

"Congratulations, Kim kids!" Luhan greeted as he and Gabrielle gave the cousins a hug. 

"Hey, it's my first time at this branch of Yixing's hotel. I heard they serve great mimosas. Do you wanna grab some? You too, Gabby Jie and Wends." Umi took Eunhee's hand to lead her to where they are serving drinks. 

"Uhm, wait." Eunhee faced Megan. "Megan, you want to come with us?" Eunhee almost winced as Umi squeezed her hand painfully. 

"It's alright, I'll stay with Xingie." Megan replied and intertwined her fingers with Yixing's, giving the younger girl a smile.  

Eunhee nodded and went with Umi, Gabrielle, and Wendy. The four were making their way to the bar when someone bumped against Umi. 

"I'm sorry," the girl bowed repeatedly. "I wasn't looking where I was going. I'm sorry." 

"It's okay." Umi said in broken Korean trying to stop the girl from bowing. 

"I'm really sorry," the girl kept on bowing until she was out of sight. 

"Who is that?" Gabrielle asked. 

"Minseok oppa's assistant." Eunhee answered, her jaw clenching. She saw Minseok leading Miyeon out of the ballroom, his hands at the small of her back. 

"Wow, she's really pretty." Umi commented. 

Eunhee just took a glass of gin from the table and drank. "Hey, Ems, slow down." Gabrielle told the younger. 

"I'm fine, Jie. I can take it." She said as she glared at Miyeon's back. 

"I would also drink if I were her. I mean look at them go," Umi said as she looked at where they came from. Yixing and Megan are making out. Again. "It looks like she wants to erase his lips, urgh, disgusting. What does Yixing see in her? Her face, there are more girls who are prettier than her with better attitude. The body? It's not much. She's not even smart. She's rich, but he's richer than her. And she's a . Ewww~ he's like your brother, isn't he? How does it feel to see your best friend like that?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter