The 18th Birthday

Four Ways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“GET UP! IT’S TIME TO RISE AND SHINE BIRTHDAY GIRL!” 

 

If only I could sell my brother.    

 

Like he could magically hear what I’d thought, he jumped directly on top of me, annoying me even more. 

 

As a matter of fact, I didn’t need Bobby to barge into my room and wake me up. Unfortunately, today was the day of my 18th birthday. The day when I find out who my soul had forcibly entwined with since the day I had been born. 

 

The morning was as assured as the tides and just as unstoppable. I needed a few more hours of blackness. Not to sleep, but to prepare, to ready myself for the ever-present challenges of life. 

 

“Happy birthday Y/N,” Bobby said, ripping me out of my thoughts and reminding me that this little twerp was still sitting on top of me. 

 

I quickly pushed him, sending the overeager teen to the floor of my bedroom with a loud thud. 

 

“Why are you always so mean to me? I only wanted to wish my only sister a happy birthday.” Bobby said, brushing the dust off of his trousers and walking out of my bedroom. 

 

Forgetting to look at my wrist, I got ready for another day at school. The best thing about being a senior in high school is that soon it’ll all be over and I won’t have to see any of their faces ever again. 

 

“Y/N, Mom said get your sorry down here now before she puts you up for adoption!” Bobby shouted from downstairs. 

 

I wasn’t joking earlier. If I could sell him then I would. 

 

*****

 

I stood by my locker searching for my trigonometry textbook. I only put it in there last week and now I magically can’t find it. 

 

Stupid locker. 

 

“Good morning Y/N.” The voice of my best friend, Jisoo, distracted me from my search. 

 

The girl had a voice that was like music under a summer breeze, almost lost against the noise of the morning chaos. Her hair was deep hues of black velvet against her pale face. She walked and spoke in that high-class way, yet I admired her gentleness.

 

“Sup.” I smiled at her briefly before facing my locker again to continue my search. 

 

I felt her place a hand on my shoulder as she hovered behind me. “What are you looking for?”

 

“Trigonometry textbook. I swear I put things in here and they disappear overnight.” I complained. 

 

Jisoo casually reached into her bag and handed me her textbook. “Use mine. I don’t have math until tomorrow. Think of it as my birthday present to you.” 

 

I spun around and launched myself into her, encircling my arms around her and squeezing tight. “You are a legend.” 

 

A light blush danced upon Jisoo’s cheeks as I pulled away. 

 

“Since it’s your birthday, have you... I was wondering if... err you had found out who your soulmate is?” Jisoo quizzed, avoiding eye contact with me. 

 

“Nope. I’m putting it off until later.” 

 

I hadn't really thought about it much. Truthfully, I think I was probably slightly too scared. 

***** 

 

This classroom was my salvation. When I walk in here my mind is able to function and my stride grows longer. This is the place I am able to learn new things, doesn't that make life so much more interesting?

 

Well, it would be. If I was surrounded by absolute idiots 24/7 and was actually able to learn something. Surprise, surprise, in this classroom not everybody shared my love of learning. 

 

One of those idiots, in particular, had always irked me the most - Lalisa Manoban. 

 

Lisa was by far the loudest voice in the room wherever she was. Her con

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter