Burnt Coffee

Four Ways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Where did you sneak out to last night?" Bobby asked as soon as I sat down at the table for breakfast. Talk about great timing. I had literally only just woken up and was already facing the playful intrusiveness of my brother.     Ignoring him, I picked up an orange and began peeling it.     As if it were planned, my mother then walked into the kitchen and sat down opposite me. "Yes Y/N please do tell us where you went in the middle of the night, ill might I add, knowing you had school the next morning?"     I froze mid-peel.     Bobby shook his head mock-disapprovingly. "Technically it was on a school morning, Mom. It was like one o'clock right Y/N?"     Thanks, Bob. You always know how to make things better.     "What is this? The Spanish Inquisition?" I shrugged off their questions laughing nervously. The glare I received from her in return definitely meant humour wasn't going to get me out of this one. "I went for a walk." If all else fails, lying is the way to go.     "Where?" She asked with her signature Mom look. You know the one. The piercing eyes that are searching your mind and soul to see if you're telling the truth.     "The park," I replied unsurely.     Bobby laughed. "Did Jennie go with you?"     This better stop now.     "Jennie?" My Mom question.     .     "Yeah, I heard her climb into Y/N's room last night." He replied smirking at me.     This is my cue to skedaddle.     I glanced down at my wrist. "Well, would you look at the time. I've really got to get going or I'll be late for my first lesson. You know what they say; punctuality is the key to a good education." I picked up my bag and raced to the front door, ignoring my mother calling me back. "We should do this again sometime. It was fun."     "Y/N GET BACK HERE NOW! YOU DON'T EVEN OWN A WATCH!"   *****   I sat at the back of the library, the room was empty this early in the morning. Facing the law section, I propped my feet up on a nearby chair. It was boring but at least it was better than a lecture from my mother.     To pass the time, I began absentmindedly skimming through a random book.     The sunlight began to stream through the blinds on the windows and fall around the bookcases. Hearing the door open and the sound of footsteps getting closer, I looked behind me to see a smiling Lisa walking towards me. "Morning Y/N, what are you doing here?" She leant down and pulled me against her in a tight but brief embrace.     "Not much, just thought I'd brush up on," I paused to look at the cover of the book I was holding, "the common gardening practices of the 1800s."     She laughed at me. I use to hate that sound but now it was beautiful. Her laughter was the summer rain and the birdsong too, and every time I heard it these days, no matter the occasion, it brightened my day. It was as if her sound lifted a veil from my eyes and allowed me to see the world more clearly. It's funny how the laughter of one person could be so impactful.     However painful it was to admit, I was falling fast for her.     And the other three too.     A huge smile crossed her face as she caught me staring at her and she leaned back in her chair. "I've been in here early all week revising the English Literature notes you made me. It's nice to have some company." She let out a deep sigh and then turned to face me, smiling brightly.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter