Family

Four Ways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I sat next to Jisoo in the hospital waiting room, her arm resting lightly on the top of my seat, staring intently at a poster on the opposite wall listing the first indications of a .

 

Lisa sat quietly on the hard plastic chair next to her, and fiddled with her phone irritably, every so often, looking up at the clock.

 

Chaeyoung paced impatiently around the small room. I could tell she was getting nervous, and though Lisa's stillness did not appear to indicate that she too was nervous, I could tell she was too. We all were. How could we not be? 

 

Jennie had been out of surgery for an hour and still hadn't woken up. The surgeon from earlier had yet to make a reappearance after I discharged myself. A nurse had shown us to the waiting room, told us they'd keep us posted on Jennie's progress, then had left. No one had kept us posted.

 

ing state hospitals.

 

Chaeyoung stopped pacing in front of me, blocking my view of the poster. "What happened?" she asked for the third time, running a hand through her hair. "How did this happen?"

 

"You know how it happened." Jisoo pointed out. "Don't make Y/N repeat it." 

 

Chaeyoung sighed. "We should have been there."

 

"Yep." Lisa agreed.

 

"Why? You only would've ended up getting hurt too." I said quietly. "It's my fault that Jennie got hurt. I don't think I could live with myself if all of you had been hurt as a consequence of my actions."

 

"Y/Y," Lisa placed a hand on my shoulder, "this is not your fault, okay? I mean, at least Jennie isn't dead... yet."

 

Chaeyoung glared at her.

 

"What?" Lisa asked. "I'm trying to be positive. At least she's not dead, there's a large chance she'll come round from her operation and be perfectly fine."

 

"She's suffered bleeding on her brain, it's not like she's broken her arm, this is serious," Jisoo grumbled.

 

"She was so pale. There was so much blood," I grimaced, picturing her propped up against the wreckage of the burning car. I shook myself off. "How long does it take for anaesthesia to wear off, anyway?" I asked, changing the subject. "She's been out of surgery for a while."

 

Jisoo shrugged. "I'm not sure, Y/N. But-" A doctor entering the room cut off any further discussion. Chaeyoung whipped around and I stood, attentive to the surgeon.

 

"Jennie's family?" She asked, smiling at us warmly.

 

"Yes," Jisoo answered before I could even open my mouth.

 

"Well, everything went beautifully." The doctor grinned and I felt relief wash over me like a tidal wave as Jisoo physically slumped slightly next to me. Beautifully. An odd choice of words but it was doing wonders to put my mind at ease. "Jennie is awake and, as of yet, has shown no signs of reacting badly to the anaesthetic." 

 

"So it was all fine?" I asked. "She's okay?"

 

"At the moment, yes. But she's still pretty beat up. She was in a really bad condition when we brought her in-,"

 

"Yeah, I know," I mumbled, stomach-turning slightly at the image of Jennie's unmoving body being wheeled away on the ambulance.

 

The doctor nodded solemnly but her smile remained unforced and firmly in place. "But as I said, everything went just as well as I'd hoped. Although she's going to have to have a lot of bed rest for a while."

 

"Can we see her?" I asked.

 

"It's only one to a room while she wakes up, I'm afraid," the surgeon said, looking between the four of us, "but I can take you all to the ward."

 

The surgeon walked us to the ward on which the Korean girl would, unfortunately, be staying for a least another twenty-four hours, and led us all to one of the nurses, before bidding us goodbye.

 

"Miss Kim is in the cubicle at the end of the hall." The nurse stated, looking down at her clipboard. 

 

"Which one of you is Miss Kim's soulmate?" She questioned and in response, I lifted my hand. "Good. We've just woken up Jennie and she's a little bit distressed. A side effect of the anaesthetic." She assured. "She's been asking for you."

 

"You better go, Y/N." Lisa nudged me forwards and I felt myself blindly following the nurse towards Jennie's room. 

 

I felt my heart constrict at the sight of Jennie, lying in the white sheets, several people swarming around her in an attempt to calm her down. 

 

What was it people said? People looked so small and defenceless when ill. Propped up in that hospital bed, tubes coming out of h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter