The Magic Touch

Four Ways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Various food wrappers were strewn across the floor accompanied by an assortment of DVD cases and book covers. It was the early hours of the morning and the only light provided in the room was coming from the flickering images on the television.

 

We should've been cleaning my room all weekend, but instead, we were on the thirteenth consecutive hour of our impromptu movie marathon.

 

I was wearing sweatpants and an old t-shirt and sitting against the headboard of my bed with my knees drawn to my chest. I was completely engrossed with the film, mouth open slightly as the scene progressed.

 

"You're going to miss the good part, Kim!" I called in the general direction of the bathroom.

 

"I'm here, I'm here. If you were half a decent person, you'd pause the movie for me." Jennie waded through the trash slowly.

 

"Ah, but I'm not. And you can't just pause the final battle scene. You know the rule."

 

"Yeah, yeah. 'Nothing shall interrupt a battle scene'. How could I forget? You and Jisoo argue about it all the time." A crinkled bag of chips crunched under her foot. She judged the space between where she was standing and where the bed was before taking a step back and leaping onto the mattress.

 

I shook my head as Jennie flopped herself down next to me. "Yeah, I think she might be even more intense than me when it comes to watching movies. I'll never forget the way she yelled at Chaeng for pausing Suicide Squad..." I shuddered, turning back to the screen.

 

We watched as the battle onscreen raged on, cheering and whooping at all the appropriate moments. We shouted as the two opposing sides clashed with each other. 

 

"Oh man, those Orcs had it coming," Jennie said, settling back against her pillows. "Those are some freaky dudes."

 

"Yeah, well they're not exactly renowned for their beauty and compassion" I snickered.

 

"Whatever. If I was in a battle like that, I'd be one of the guys who gets killed." Jennie pulled a pillow onto her lap and rested her arms there.

 

"Ha! I'd be the one running headfirst into the fray." I imitated wielding a sword and jabbing imaginary Orcs.

 

"And probably forgetting your helmet and shield along the way…"

I punched Jennie lightly on the shoulder. "Shut up."

 

"Well you're not the most observant person on the planet," Jennie threw up her hands in a gesture of surrender. "Just being honest, babe."

 

"Oh, I'm not?" I looked around the room for something to be observant about. My eyes fell upon the ratty pair of gym shorts Jennie was wearing. I pointed to them, "Those are mine."

 

"What?" Jennie looked down at her shorts. "No, these are mine. I've had them forever."

 

"Sure, if forever constitutes like a week." I retorted. 

 

Jennie rolled her eyes. "Well, they're mine now."

 

"I'm going to think about how you're going to pay me back." I my chin thoughtfully. "Maybe you could…"

 

Jennie grabbed the remote and turned it up, drowning out whatever torture I was coming up with.

 

*****

 

"I just don't get it…" I said, reaching into the pack of Oreos I had stolen from Bobby. 

 

It was nearly five am now, and the sky outside the windows was shining dully.

 

Jennie twisted open an Oreo and started the frosting. "What are you talking about? You've seen all the movies and read the books about a thousand times and counting…If you don't understand it, no one does."

 

"No, I mean, I'm not talking about the film anymore." I frowned at the television screen as I hugged my pillow closer.

 

"Then what are you talking about?" Jennie tore her eyes away from the screen took look at me. "I won't know until you tell me."

 

"Okay, smartass, if you had let me finish then I would have told you." I took a swig of milk from the glass on the bedside table and swished it around my mouth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter